[POSSIBLE FIXES] Battery drain 5.1.1

Has android wear 5.1.1 affected the battery life?

• Made it worse

Votes: 166 89.2%
  • Improved battery life

Votes: 20 10.8%

• Total voters
Search This thread

matejdro

Jul 9, 2009
  • It is not reception or Bluetooth (happens without phone connection / airplane mode)
  • it is not wifi (or cloud sync or anything else related, people tried with wifi off)
  • It is not Android Wear phone app (tried with old app, still got random drops. Also happens on airplane mode when no phone app can affect the watch.)
  • It is not specific wear app (people have this bug with various app configurations. Also rogue user app would show up on battery historian).
  • It is not faulty system install (reinstalled from scratch using PC Companion, same thing).

To conclude it, I don't think it is anything we can control, something is messed up in system/drivers. I don't want to sound negative, but it seems only thing we can do is switch to 5.0.1 and wait for Sony to hopefully fix this.

Last edited:

rkstoops

Jan 10, 2009
I just got the Sony Smartwatch 3 for running and have used it a few times with Runkeeper and Ghostracer. I tried it without the phone for a marathon, using Ghostracer to track my run and Play Music for tunes via Bluetooth headphones. The stupid thing died after about 21 miles. I figured a fully charged watch could make it through the under 4 hr run. Could this be related to the 5.1.1 battery drain you guys are experiencing?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

supac

May 29, 2005
  • It is not reception or Bluetooth (happens without phone connection / airplane mode)
  • it is not wifi (or cloud sync or anything else related, people tried with wifi off)
  • It is not Android Wear phone app (tried with old app, still got random drops. Also happens on airplane mode when no phone app can affect the watch.)
  • It is not specific wear app (people have this bug with various app configurations. Also rogue user app would show up on battery historian).
  • It is not faulty system install (reinstalled from scratch using PC Companion, same thing).

To conclude it, I don't think it is anything we can control, something is messed up in system/drivers. I don't want to sound negative, but it seems only thing we can do is switch to 5.0.1 and wait for Sony to hopefully fix this.

I totally agree, I have the same experience. Its the Android update with ****ty drivers

Reactions: boxxwood

pescorilo

May 25, 2012
As far as I can see the wear app downgrade and wify off, including WiFi sync off, did the job, no more discharges.
And my feeling is that the new wear app tries the cloud sync without timeout. In my house I lose Bluetooth signal pretty often bitwin rooms and same at work. When the watch started or tried sync over WiFi sooner or later started burning and fast discharging.
So yes, bad WiFi implementation seems to be in our case.

Last edited:

dan-htc-touch

Dec 6, 2007
calgary
I just got the Sony Smartwatch 3 for running and have used it a few times with Runkeeper and Ghostracer. I tried it without the phone for a marathon, using Ghostracer to track my run and Play Music for tunes via Bluetooth headphones. The stupid thing died after about 21 miles. I figured a fully charged watch could make it through the under 4 hr run. Could this be related to the 5.1.1 battery drain you guys are experiencing?

Yeah, it's no good for running, won't last a marathon with only music no GPS, was hoping to slide it in a running short pocket with no strap for music, and Garmin vivoavtive on wrist, but it doesn't last

magicdark

Mar 9, 2010
Bari

I agree in full

matejdro

Jul 9, 2009

Check battery stats. If suddenly starts to drop really fast for no reason then you are affected by this bug. I never used on-watch GPS myself, but pretty much all reviews slammed it for ****ty battery life (that was before 5.1.1) so it is entirely possible your GPS drain is normal.

Zoidy

Jan 21, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
My battery drain issues have not been that severe. It happened a day or two after the update early last week, then a couple of days after that. Then no issue until this morning.

The one thing I have been doing late last week was restarting the watch after I charged it up daily. I didn't do that yesterday or early last week.

People might want to try a restart after you charge up the watch and see if you can get through 18-24 hours without major drain.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

kleptnir

Dec 30, 2009
I believe it's caused by the watch's google fit combined with a long walk or run. I had no problems with wear 5.1.1, but then I noticed that step counter was disabled.
I enabled google fit in the watch, still nor drain. Then I had some long walks and noticed a strong battery drain. The watch died abou 10 hours after a complete charge while it lasted about 36 hours before.
Yesterday I disabled google fit in the watch (never had it installed to the phone). Today I still have 70% left 13 hours after charging.

Pharmbob

Nov 29, 2012
In battery stats via the wear app I be got an unknown app draining 21% of battery over 12 hours but it just shows an icon of an android but no text. Any ideas

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-09-21-27-11.png
    Screenshot_2015-06-09-21-27-11.png
    132.5 KB · Views: 242

simika

May 19, 2012
Rome
So far, rolling the wear companion app back to the previous version has helped a heap.

If I don't get hit by the bug by tomorrow I'm going to turn all the new features back on again

Sent from my SM-N910G using XDA Free mobile app

rolling back wear app on the mobile did work also for me.. the drain seems over!

senectus

Dec 14, 2004
Perth
rolling back wear app on the mobile did work also for me.. the drain seems over!

Not for me. I still got it.
And given someone got it without the phone connected it now seems pretty obvious that it's a firmware issue directly.

wally44

Jan 2, 2012
Not for me. I still got it.
And given someone got it without the phone connected it now seems pretty obvious that it's a firmware issue directly.

Be sure to turn off auto updates on the Android Wear app if you roll it back. It will update to the later version.
I forgot to turn off the updates and thought I saw the rapid drain with the old version, but then checked and it had autoupdated
to the latest version. I reverted again (and turned off auto updates for the app) and will wait to see if the rapid drain returns.

senectus

Dec 14, 2004
Perth
Give me some credit.
I don't auto update *anything* I'm kinda anal about knowing what's being updated

It took 2 days but the bug came back.

wally44

Jan 2, 2012
Give me some credit.
I don't auto update *anything* I'm kinda anal about knowing what's being updated

It took 2 days but the bug came back.

I was just letting people know how I messed up. Not accusing you of the mistake I made. I have too many things updating to manually do updates.

senectus

Dec 14, 2004
Perth
I was just letting people know how I messed up. Not accusing you of the mistake I made. I have too many things updating to manually do updates.

Yeah I get it, but I think we've done a very bloody extensive and thorough course of troubleshooting. It seems fairly obvious after all this that is a see50 specific issue and will need direct support from Google / Sony to resolve

wally44

Jan 2, 2012
Yeah I get it, but I think we've done a very bloody extensive and thorough course of troubleshooting. It seems fairly obvious after all this that is a see50 specific issue and will need direct support from Google / Sony to resolve

I got the same sudden battery drain after about 4 hours on the rolled back android wear, so I (also) conclude that isn't the cure all. I observed the rapid drain and rebooted the watch and that stopped the drain. I have no way of telling what "triggers" the event, but it seems fairly random and usually occurs at least once in a 24 hour period. We may have done a lot of troubleshooting, but mostly to indicate what isn't the problem. We really need a solution from Google and/or Sony. It would be nice to get an acknowledgement from them that there is a problem., one that makes the watch almost unusable as a watch.

wally44

Jan 2, 2012
I also got my 30 plus hours back with everything enabled with rollback.
I have a question for others. What is the OS on your mobile device. I'm running 5.0.2 on an S6 Edge as the "host" for my Sony Smartwatch 3. I'm wondering if the OS version on the mobile matters in this behavior we are seeing?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

My name is Johan and I work for Sony Mobile. I would like to inform you that our SmartWatch team is looking into this as we speak but it would be great if you guys would be willing to help them out by providing bug reports from the watch.

Please do only take and share reports of when the battery drain is happening.

Here is two ways of taking the report.

* From the Android Wear app on the phone:

* Tap the hamburger menu (3 vertical dots) and select "Report wearable bug"
    * Wait for the notification on the watch saying "Bug report captured"
    * On the watch swipe the notification left and select "Open"
    * Read the information and if you agree, tap "OK"
    * You will get a notification on the phone, when you tap it is possible to (for example) upload the bugreport to Google Drive and share the link on xda

* From the watch, using the UI:

* Enable Developer options
    * Go into "Settings"->"About"
    * Tap "Build number" until you see "You are now a developer"
    * Go into "Settings"->"Developer options"
    * Enable "Bug report in menu"
    * Go back to the watchface
    * Swipe left 3 times to get to the "Speak now" screen
    * Swipe all the way down and tap "Take bug report"
    * Wait for the notification on the watch saying "Bug report captured"
    * On the watch swipe the notification left and select "Open"
    * Read the information and if you agree, tap "OK"
    * You will get a notification on the phone, when you tap it is possible to (for example) upload the bugreport to Google Drive and share the link on xda
    Thank you all for contributing with bug reports. The SmartWatch team have recevied the information they need so they don't need any more logs.

So now you can remove your bug reports from Google Drive, which I suggest that you do.

If any more information is required or when I have any status updates on the investigation I will get back to you.

Thank you all!
    Hi all,

Google have finally confirmed this is an issue and they are working on a fix:
    https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/android-wear/SulEHMS1ETk/TVh25aK6e2AJ

Note, This issue affects multiple watches:
    https://productforums.google.com/fo...source=footer#!topic/android-wear/SulEHMS1ETk

However, the SW3 seems to have the most people complaining - not sure if it's the most affected watch, or just that more people own it...

thanks,
    Charlie
    Today I've disinstalled battery mix and I reinstalled it when the smartwatch was in battery drain, in this manner I've resetted the data and I've found what are the process that causes battery draining...
    screen.png

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone