• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Possible hint at new xperia gaming device

Search This thread

svenk919

Oct 12, 2008
Enschede
According to this press release: http://www.nxp.com/news/content/file_1919.html

SE wants to use a nfc chip in their next line of xperia devices.
This quote: “Building on Sony Ericsson’s leadership in Android and mobile gaming, the integration of near field communication into our Android-based Xperia™ portfolio is another step in delivering the most entertaining smartphones,”
Hints at a new gaming device I think.

zerojay

Aug 3, 2010
NFC doesn't really have anything to do with gaming and the Xperia Play does not contain an NFC chip as far as I know.

Logseman

Nov 22, 2010
Tenerife
logseman.svbtle.com
Mmm... maybe it's not entirely related, but it may have its uses. Imagine that you see a stand promoting a product and you can buy the product just putting your mobile phone in a table.

Or else, imagine a street ad which distributes a certain app (a game?), like when you take a pic of a QR code. However, instead of simply linking to the market as QR codes do today, you could simply pay the app on the go with the NFC chip and start using it. I've seen vending machines which sell maps in touristic places: instead of having a coin slot, they could make you use your phone to pay and get the map... or an app with the map.The main idea is that this could help decentralising the distribution of paid content, which generates new opportunities of revenue. Among said paid content, games are very important.

zerojay

Aug 3, 2010
Even so, NFC has nothing to do with gaming in any direct sort of way, so you cannot link the two. It's like saying "the sky is red, which means that a new iPad is coming out tomorrow".

svenk919

Oct 12, 2008
Enschede
Just sounded to me they where building on their "leadership in Android and mobile gaming" with the nfc chip in futher devices. Thus that would mean they will make more gaming devices, that they incorporate the nfc chip is not relevant.