Possible issue with LPY - CLOSED - read updated sticky post instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ykkfive

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 25, 2010
ykkfive.blogspot.com
UPDATE: this thread is closed as Entropy512 has already updated his post and confimed the problem
**moderators, pls remove this post if you want to, since it has been added in the sticky post

thx for those who chose to read this and decided on thier own what to do next
thx for those who kept silent, either like or dislike this post
thx for those claimed they have reformatted the device so many times but still running, but pls report if it failed one day. i am not hoping that ur phone will be bricked, instead, just to inform us what caused it
thx for those against this post with spams, even with possible personal attacks. i learnt a lot of english words

lastly, after the experience this time, it further urges me that this is not the place for me

good luck to u all

FROM THE MODERATOR : This news is not new, and YES you should all take great care when flashing. DO YOUR RESEARCH......... do not flash custom roms without the proper knowledge to do it safely (duh)......
Very few people have had any issue with bricking (I only know of 2)......

BUT do Your Homework........ Oka1 Moderator

FWD: by chainfire:

WARNING: I have just been informed that LPY *does* suffer from the I/O bug. Do *not* use any CWM functions ! They are dangerous and may hardbrick your flash memory !

Deleting large files while fully booted may also cause problems with your flash memory.

Also see: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1633943
Say tuned for further information.

original post by chainfire: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19030788&postcount=6 --- This is 6 months old hardly current information....... food for thought- oka1

incorrect link used above. the correct one should be
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25966147#post25966147

EDIT: some ppl in the general thread talked about even OTA upgrade is affected. can someone pls confirm this to other ppls here?

EDIT2: for the sake of safety, i suggest NOT upgrading to LPY until the problem is solved and confirmed

EDIT3: so???

what does it mean?
- you risk bricking your phone if u use the LPY rom
- at this time, the exact problem areas are to be determined
- no evidence so far if this is due to cwm or cfroot's, or it could be the stock rom
- if you r still using gb (android 2.3.6), it is suggested to stick with it at the moment
- it is "assumed" that it was due to formatting the partitions in the recovery
- wipe is NOT safe as well. i checked the source and found that a wipe will call the format_volume function, ie to do a format

is it safe to go back to gb?
- all i can say is, gb should be safe. but the problem is, how to get back to gb safely

can i flash a gb via pc odin?
- yes, you can. but again, no guarantee

is it safe to upgrade via pc odin or OTA?
- no one can assure u it is safe
- some ppl reported the phone bricked via OTA upgrade. maybe he was using a leaked one before but yet to confirm

it's only 5-10% failures so why should we concern about this?
- it's simple. u will only realize u r a victum after your phone bricked
- what we know is the number of ppl suffered. what we will know is the number of ppl who suffered avoidable issues after reading this post. but what we dono is how many lives we saved

my phone is working fine with LPY now. i cant see any problem
- as i said, u wont know what's next. perhaps u r lucky and i am lucky too, for now

what to do then?
- sorry, i want to know too. just wait and see what happen

so r u bxllshxting?
- i dont and wont mind if you think so. this is JUST A WARNING. you certainly have the final say whether to be alerted or simply ignore this post

* to moderators

even i will be banned, i will still post this to let ppl be aware about this

Last edited:

GocaS6

Mar 31, 2011
Mostar
Will we ever get rid of this hardbricking issues, well how unlucky we are with this, this is getting ridiculous... :(

huzz

Apr 1, 2005
AlAin
I just went back from Stock ICS by flashing Abyss first, though I wiped from with-in CF-LPY kernel no issues, restored a nandroid of Stunner. Everything seems to be working fine.

Also this shouldn't be in Development. IMHO.

Last edited:

robertberma

Nov 9, 2010
BLEISWIJK
This is a officiele kernel so no bugs, problem is ower cwm and the things that we do with the phone that a normale person not do with a phone. Xda devs are not fully understanding ics and they tread it like a gb. See all ics threads that post this rom have problems.

ArchaosAngel

Jun 11, 2010
OnePlus 7T Pro
Ok so now im.on alba ics with lpy kernel. How do i get back to gb. Use pc odin and flash the gb firmware that doesnt cause triangle and increase cojnter??

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

ykkfive

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 25, 2010
ykkfive.blogspot.com
This is a officiele kernel so no bugs, problem is ower cwm and the things that we do with the phone that a normale person not do with a phone. Xda devs are not fully understanding ics and they tread it like a gb. See all ics threads that post this rom have problems.

ppl claimed OTA is affected
also, official rom doesnt mean bugs free

9 out of 10 ppl came here just for download roms. i don care if it's not for development

if we don inform ppl about this, we are not a responsible developer

DNK13

Oct 26, 2010
so if i flash stock rom via pc odin and dont root it will all be good?
i dont need root just want ics

fl4r3

Feb 24, 2008
London
****in ****, was waiting so long for official ics and now it seems to cause bricks, damn. But thnx for the info, wont be using cwm recovery

Feel the same too...waited so long!! Yeah it seems its not a problem with the ICS kernel per se, but an incompatability with CWM. So we could technically still use the roms as long as we don't use CWM functions/recovery at all. Anyone confirm?

gibou13

Apr 27, 2010
Marseille
Google Pixel 6
Yesterday, I was afraid to brick my GNote after installing ALBA LPY directly from Kingdroid V7.

First boot and Blocked in Home without any choice to remove battery.

Second boot, same... I installed it without fullwipe.

So Fullwipe from CWM and format /system partition... hanged... and hard reboot

Formatting /system was impossible...

Restore my nandroid backup... Hanged on /system... ouch...

Boot with CWM (franco.Kernel now)... Restore OK... :D

aami.aami

Apr 17, 2012

WARNING: I have just been informed that LPY *does* suffer from the I/O bug. Do *not* use any CWM functions ! They are dangerous and may hardbrick your flash memory !

Deleting large files while fully booted may also cause problems with your flash memory.

original post by chainfire: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19030788&postcount=6

EDIT: some ppl in the general thread talked about even OTA upgrade is affected. can someone pls confirm this to other ppls here?

EDIT2: for the sake of safety, i suggest NOT upgrading to LPY until the problem is solved and confirmed

* to moderators

so do you mean that flashing the whole CUSTOM rom with no root and cwm from xda or sammobile is not dangerous? is this what u mean pls reply so that all can know

Last edited:
Reactions: salemsnake
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: this thread is closed as Entropy512 has already updated his post and confimed the problem
    **moderators, pls remove this post if you want to, since it has been added in the sticky post

thx for those who chose to read this and decided on thier own what to do next
    thx for those who kept silent, either like or dislike this post
    thx for those claimed they have reformatted the device so many times but still running, but pls report if it failed one day. i am not hoping that ur phone will be bricked, instead, just to inform us what caused it
    thx for those against this post with spams, even with possible personal attacks. i learnt a lot of english words

lastly, after the experience this time, it further urges me that this is not the place for me

good luck to u all

FROM THE MODERATOR : This news is not new, and YES you should all take great care when flashing. DO YOUR RESEARCH......... do not flash custom roms without the proper knowledge to do it safely (duh)......
    Very few people have had any issue with bricking (I only know of 2)......

BUT do Your Homework........ Oka1 Moderator

original post by chainfire: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19030788&postcount=6 --- This is 6 months old hardly current information....... food for thought- oka1

incorrect link used above. the correct one should be
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25966147#post25966147

EDIT3: so???

what does it mean?
    - you risk bricking your phone if u use the LPY rom
    - at this time, the exact problem areas are to be determined
    - no evidence so far if this is due to cwm or cfroot's, or it could be the stock rom
    - if you r still using gb (android 2.3.6), it is suggested to stick with it at the moment
    - it is "assumed" that it was due to formatting the partitions in the recovery
    - wipe is NOT safe as well. i checked the source and found that a wipe will call the format_volume function, ie to do a format

is it safe to go back to gb?
    - all i can say is, gb should be safe. but the problem is, how to get back to gb safely

can i flash a gb via pc odin?
    - yes, you can. but again, no guarantee

is it safe to upgrade via pc odin or OTA?
    - no one can assure u it is safe
    - some ppl reported the phone bricked via OTA upgrade. maybe he was using a leaked one before but yet to confirm

it's only 5-10% failures so why should we concern about this?
    - it's simple. u will only realize u r a victum after your phone bricked
    - what we know is the number of ppl suffered. what we will know is the number of ppl who suffered avoidable issues after reading this post. but what we dono is how many lives we saved

my phone is working fine with LPY now. i cant see any problem
    - as i said, u wont know what's next. perhaps u r lucky and i am lucky too, for now

what to do then?
    - sorry, i want to know too. just wait and see what happen

so r u bxllshxting?
    - i dont and wont mind if you think so. this is JUST A WARNING. you certainly have the final say whether to be alerted or simply ignore this post

* to moderators

9 out of 10 ppl came here just for download roms. i don care if it's not for development

you don't need to justify yourself - you did the right thing to open this thread imho!
    Don't Panic

First of all, I am not a developer. But from my experience, I don't think we should be so nervous. How can I make such conclusion if I am not developer? Simply follow the logic.

Is "hard brick" a brand new word to the digital world? Absolutely not. I suffered it one time but it's the only time I met on my HTC Universal which was Windows Mobile 6.1 era. Eventually confirmed it's due to BGA chip soldering defects. Since then, I used more than 20 smartphone OS including Symbian, iPhone 1, Android 2.1,2.2,2.3 and 4.0. I flashed the ROM should more than 200 times on different platforms. No single bricking encountered. Am I lucky enough? I don't think so. But I was careful enough and understood any single step what I was doing.

Now many saying stated that GB is safe, but frankly speaking, I heard many times somebody bricked their toys and have to return for replacement before ICS ROM comes out. WHY? IMHO, Galaxy Note is so hot that so many guys bought it recently. Before that, those guys even never touched Smart Phones. That's why till today, still some newbie questions floating on "Development Section" such as "What's Root/How to do" and bla-bla-bla ? In this case, I would rather to believe the bricking case was due to improper operation than bugs inside Kernel. Moreover, this time we are talking about an official ROM, compare between Samsung and Newbies, who is more liable?

Anyhow, decision still belongs to yourself. I will stay on current LPY until next release.
    keep cool

As far as I understood the guy mixed the kernel with another ROM, modem .... and was a heavy flasher! I'll stay on the LPY (without playing around with CWM) and I'm sure that there is no risk for "normal" users.
    If I brick I will inform you :eek:

:D

PS: My note runs as a swiss clockwork - fast, stable, wonderful battery life, deep sleep, no wake locks ... a real pleasure!
    No risk - no fun - lol