Possible spyware in the newest Samsung devices?

Search This thread

secretwolf98

Jan 30, 2017
Iowa
ryzen5-3600.github.io
According to Reddit, the newest Samsung devices which includes Device Care (360 protection), is a spyware app. This system app collects your information and it sends your personal information to the Chinese government. If you care about your personal information, I would recommend getting rid of the stock Samsung firmware and install a Project Treble enabled GSI or a ROM that is made for your model.

What do you guys think about of this built-in "360 protection" feature?
Is it something to worry about or no?

secretwolf98

Jan 30, 2017
Iowa
ryzen5-3600.github.io

Nimueh

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2012
OnePlus 3
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series

secretwolf98

Jan 30, 2017
Iowa
ryzen5-3600.github.io
Well both of those quote Reddit as the source, so I'm still skeptical.

If someone is worried about stuff like that all they have to do is flash a custom rom - or install a firewall etc. to block access to the web for that app.

There is still other websites. I did read a few that didn't quote Reddit, but I don't want to take the time to find all of those and list them.

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Hi, guys...

I actually don't think this is something to worry too much about. But if are you concerned about it, it's pretty easy to disable Samsung Device Care without root, via ADB...

--------------------------------------------------

To disable Samsung Device Care...
Code:
adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.lool

To re-enable Samsung Device Care...
Code:
adb shell pm enable com.samsung.android.lool

I've successfully run both of these ADB commands on my Samsung A8 2019 tablet. Currently, it's disabled, since mid-January 2020, without any problems.

More details about disabling system apps via ADB can be found here...
https://www.xda-developers.com/disable-system-app-bloatware-android/?nocache=1

---------------------------------------------------------

Hope this is of some use:)

Rgrds,
Ged.

Last edited:
Reactions: dandv

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
According to Reddit, the newest Samsung devices which includes Device Care (360 protection), is a spyware app. This system app collects your information and it sends your personal information to the Chinese government. If you care about your personal information, I would recommend getting rid of the stock Samsung firmware and install a Project Treble enabled GSI or a ROM that is made for your model.

Why would Samsung send info to the Chinese govt? If you said this about Huawei, it might make sense, but Samsung is a S. Korean co. and China is their enemy.

You might want to read this article.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nimueh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anything posted on Reddit should be taken with a grain tablespoon of salt imho.

If legit sites report it then ok, but Reddit? Yea ... nope :rolleyes: :laugh:
    Hi, guys...

I actually don't think this is something to worry too much about. But if are you concerned about it, it's pretty easy to disable Samsung Device Care without root, via ADB...

To disable Samsung Device Care...
    Code:
    adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.lool

To re-enable Samsung Device Care...
    Code:
    adb shell pm enable com.samsung.android.lool

I've successfully run both of these ADB commands on my Samsung A8 2019 tablet. Currently, it's disabled, since mid-January 2020, without any problems.

More details about disabling system apps via ADB can be found here...
    https://www.xda-developers.com/disable-system-app-bloatware-android/?nocache=1

---------------------------------------------------------

Hope this is of some use:)

Rgrds,
    Ged.

Why would Samsung send info to the Chinese govt? If you said this about Huawei, it might make sense, but Samsung is a S. Korean co. and China is their enemy.

You might want to read this article.