Question Possible to buy a SIM-unlocked bootloader-unlockable G9S9B Pixel 6?

Search This thread

15xda

Nov 15, 2015
I have a dual-SIM setup, with a personal T-mobile eSIM for personal use, and a Verizon physical SIM (provided by my employer) for work. I would like to get a Pixel 6 that I can use with both, including especially the mmWave bands. It looks like model G9S9B is what I want, while the default unlocked phone on the google store is GB7N6, which doesn't support n257/258/260/261. My questions:

1) If I buy a "Verizon" Pixel 6 on the Google store (presumably G9S9B, since it's $100 more expensive), will it be SIM-locked to Verizon, or can I use it with other carriers? Also, I've heard sometimes Verizon phones don't let you unlock the bootloader, which would be catastrophic for me, so I also want to make sure a Verizon phone purchased through the google store let's me unlock the bootloader. Given that the AT&T pixel 6 is more expensive, I'm thinking the Verizon one is probably SIM-locked, otherwise who would waste $40 buying a phone through AT&T.

2) Is it even possible to buy a Verizon pixel if you don't have access to a Verizon account? As I mentioned, my Verizon SIM is from work, so I don't have an account number or password or anything. The google store won't let me add the Verizon pixel 6 to my account without logging into Verizon or creating a new account. I definitely don't want to sign up for new Verizon service. Also, I noticed that for the Pixel pro, the Verizon phones are actually available with good options like more storage, so presumably if there weren't some catch people would be buying Verizon phones while the unlocked and Fi models are sold-out, so there's probably something wrong with them (even though unlike the non-pro, the pro seems to be G8VOU whether Verizon or not, at least according to this web page which has only one 6 pro model in the US market https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/10082009).

Thanks for any advice.

15xda

Nov 15, 2015
Yes, but unfortunately that one will almost certainly be boot-locked, and possibly carrier-locked as well. If I can't download my T-mobile eSIM to my phone, that would be a problem. I unfortunately think I may need to get the bigger phone to get mmwave on a completely unlocked device, even though the hardware for what I want exists.

15xda

Nov 15, 2015
Nope, Best Buy has $599 for 128GB and $699 for 256GB, same price as GB7N6 on the google store. Only Verizon and AT&T seem to offer G9S9B, plus the google store if you select Verizon. But of course you can't know for sure until you actually buy the phone.

Superguy

Nov 28, 2007
Baltimore
Nope, Best Buy has $599 for 128GB and $699 for 256GB, same price as GB7N6 on the google store. Only Verizon and AT&T seem to offer G9S9B, plus the google store if you select Verizon. But of course you can't know for sure until you actually buy the phone.

They changed their inventory then. They had it for the same price as AT&T earlier this week.

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 7
Google Pixel 8 Pro
mmWave isn't a big deal. It's an extremely short range 5g service that is currently being installed in large facilities that have high people densities - places like sports arenas and airports. However due to the limited range of the service and the fact that most objects (like glass and walls) effectively block the signal, it is never going to be available "city wide" during the life expectancy of today's new phones. Only the largest cities have any mmWave coverage currently and even then it is limited to only 1-2 of these large facilities. When Verizon advertises that Charlotte has mmWave coverage, they mean inside the airport and football stadium and that's it.

So unless you spend a huge % of your time in airports or large sports arenas in large cities, personally I wouldn't pay extra money for a mmWave antenna. For the average person, mmWave is simply not going to be used very much - if at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: alvarorojas4

15xda

Nov 15, 2015
So unless you spend a huge % of your time in airports or large sports arenas in large cities, personally I wouldn't pay extra money for a mmWave antenna. For the average person, mmWave is simply not going to be used very much - if at all.
Yeah, I hear you. However, I live in a big city and spend a lot of time in airports, and am constantly frustrated by how poor my connectivity is even with both Verizon and T-mobile SIMs in my phone. That said, I have a Pixel 4a without 5g ("sunfish"). So it's possible that sub-6 and in particular T-mobile band N41 would already improve my life significantly. It's just frustrating that the exact hardware I want is being made, just not sold unlocked.

Reactions: sic0048

gcodori

Nov 11, 2007
Only the 6 PRO works with VZW mWave unlocked. The unlocked regular 6 does not have the mWave...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    mmWave isn't a big deal. It's an extremely short range 5g service that is currently being installed in large facilities that have high people densities - places like sports arenas and airports. However due to the limited range of the service and the fact that most objects (like glass and walls) effectively block the signal, it is never going to be available "city wide" during the life expectancy of today's new phones. Only the largest cities have any mmWave coverage currently and even then it is limited to only 1-2 of these large facilities. When Verizon advertises that Charlotte has mmWave coverage, they mean inside the airport and football stadium and that's it.

Yeah, I hear you. However, I live in a big city and spend a lot of time in airports, and am constantly frustrated by how poor my connectivity is even with both Verizon and T-mobile SIMs in my phone. That said, I have a Pixel 4a without 5g ("sunfish"). So it's possible that sub-6 and in particular T-mobile band N41 would already improve my life significantly. It's just frustrating that the exact hardware I want is being made, just not sold unlocked.