Possible to disable usb charging?

Search This thread

InTheRough

Oct 1, 2008
Yet another bump..
I wonder if a dev would pick this up to develop for the EVO LTE. I have found that if I get my phone unplugged right after a charge to full, the battery lasts longer. If it continues to be connected, the charging cycles periodically by design so it won't overcharge. However, this somehow causes the battery to discharge the first 10-15% more quickly. If we had a utility that you could set to turn off charging when it hits 100%, it would help out.

$or$

Oct 21, 2012
Tehran
ramtin1.deviantart.com
it would be great if the softwere work on dhd
I believe if u use usb tethering for long time and keep your battery on 100% it may reduce your battery life and I should mention that Li-Polymer and Li-ion are different from each other in terms of function, I think over time charging will effect on Li-Polymer battery life
Sorry for my bad English :eek:

minicm7

Jan 1, 2013
Li-Ion batteries actually do better with frequent partial charges/discharges. If you want to maximize your long-term battery life, you'll keep it at 40-60% charge state most of the time. If you know you'll be away from a charger for a long time, then go ahead and bump charge it to 100%, but doing this all the time will shorten the life of the battery. Same with running it down too far. Also, a slower charge rate is better for the battery, so if you don't need a rapid charge, the capped current when charging from USB vs wall charger should be better for your battery. See http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Don't get me wrong, there are valid reasons to not want to charge your battery when connected to USB, but an irrational fear of frequent short charges is not one of them. Some valid reasons I can think of:

1. Don't want to drain laptop battery.
2. Phone is already hot and don't want charging to get it hotter.
This is stupidest thing someone can say about batteries...I already read this on some sites,

but believe me: always is better:

1. Try do drop battery to 0% and then charge
2. Don't use phone while charging
3. Charge to 100% and unplug that second when it's charged
4. When you feel battery last short, calibrate battery

And yeah, your answer: I don't know is it possible on stock firmware(maybe with some app, but without rooting can't even talk about disabling this), but there is option ''disable usb power supply'' on some ROMs...for example cyanogenmod...

evok3r

Mar 9, 2012
This is stupidest thing someone can say about batteries...I already read this on some sites,

but believe me: always is better:

1. Try do drop battery to 0% and then charge
3. Charge to 100% and unplug that second when it's charged

If you treat lithium based like that you will be able to notice an increasing loss of capacity every couple of days. What you say is true for NiCd batteries (which, unlike Lion batteries, suffer from "memory effect") but it is the worst thing you can do to a Lion battery. Please do some research before posting something like that which is contrary to what was said before. aweaver is totally right with what he has written, and he also provided a link with detailed information.

Last edited:

meier2009

Jan 13, 2012
AW: Possible to disable usb charging?

For me the only and important's reason to NOT CHARGE over usb if I connect to my notebook is TO NOT DRAIN THE LAPTOP battery.

I only want to transfer files or use usb tethering.
The life time of my laptop battery is only about 3 hours, the note battery lasts a whole day.

If it charges the note battery I can only use my laptop 2 hours.

So. HOW TO DISABLE USB CHARGING if I want to disable it, because I want to disable it.

Sorry für manche Schreibfehler, aber mit Slide It ist zwar schnell aber nit schön geschrieben! ;)
Gesendet vom Note OTA

meier2009

Jan 13, 2012
Wow, sounds nice

I'll wait for it

Sorry für manche Schreibfehler, aber mit Slide It ist zwar schnell aber nit schön geschrieben! ;)
Gesendet vom Note OTA

vr2008

Nov 2, 2011
I have a question about charging via usb:

if I use usb tethering about 20hours per day , does it harm the phone battery?

zeppelinrox

Dec 21, 2010
IN THE FREAKIN' OP
For me the only and important's reason to NOT CHARGE over usb if I connect to my notebook is TO NOT DRAIN THE LAPTOP battery.

I only want to transfer files or use usb tethering.
The life time of my laptop battery is only about 3 hours, the note battery lasts a whole day.

If it charges the note battery I can only use my laptop 2 hours.

So. HOW TO DISABLE USB CHARGING if I want to disable it, because I want to disable it.

Gesendet vom Note OTA
Since this was already bumped...

Don't plug it in.

Use wireless adb or a tool like AirDroid to transfer files.

meier2009

Jan 13, 2012
Since this was already bumped...

Don't plug it in.

Use wireless adb or a tool like AirDroid to transfer files.

That´s not a solution for this problem!

i wan´t to have the drive letters assigned in my Computer,
also the full speed over USB (Wifi is to slow for me)
and also not so handy to use like a drive on PC

K

King ov Hell

You all need a custom kernel which is supporting charger controller. It's need to be coded but it depends on what brand/device you use.

ant4r3s

Jul 15, 2011
simply....
We can make the system think that charger is disconnected with a command:
adb shell dumpsys battery set usb 0

In Android 6:
adb shell dumpsys battery unplug

and this for re-enable:
adb shell dumpsys battery reset

eried1

May 27, 2016
Stockholm
simply....
We can make the system think that charger is disconnected with a command:
adb shell dumpsys battery set usb 0

In Android 6:
adb shell dumpsys battery unplug

and this for re-enable:
adb shell dumpsys battery reset
Would it really work? I don't think there's a solution to this problem.

EwokIng

Jan 19, 2015
Personally, I want to repurpose an old phone into a usb WiFi adapter. If I keep the battery plugged in then it will have problems so i made a dummy battery. I don't want the usb to charge the dummy battery.

elite-NSX

Feb 11, 2015
DEFACE-DEFACE
everything is possible just takes time / knowledge i understand y ued want no charge will link wit PC or similar but u realise that usb ports i think offer 5v 500mAh so charger will linked will waste no more laptop battery than having a usb stick plugged in my device Nexus 6 has a lithium polymer i red som were wen i was hammered so i dont recall the website that NASAs perfected method for charging li-polymer in space was 30% - 70% which in perfect conditions wood yield around 1000 charge cycles b4 noticable battery capacity wear and that charging 5% - 100% wood yield around 500 charge cycles so wen u think bout it u either get 1day off a charge 1000 times b4 battery cap. wear or 2days 500 times b4 wear to b honest ill tak 2days 500times b4 wear

battery calibation is a myth a placebo effect

never use quick, triple, double, turbo chargable chargers the manufactures dont care bout the battery and by the time u notice battery cap. wear ur warrenties up

finds ways to save battery like Greenify or Amplify not to smoke my own tires but im getting 0.25% / hr on standby or 6 - 9hrs SOT but no one in there rite mind would run a daily driver lik i do

my opinion dont wrry bout laptop battery at all charge ur devices from 20-30% to 100% never use any ''quick chargable charges''
if your gonna use a dif. charger than the OEM make sure the Vs are the same the Amps dont make a differenc

example : Nexus 6 with turbo charger standard output 5V 1.6A Turbo 1 - 9V 1.6A Turbo 2 - 12V 1.2 thats almost the same Vs as a laptop

the standard output is perfect but the phone doesnt really use it the Vs are defined by the charger and the phone defines the amps i charge my nexus 6 wit a old blackberry charger thats still 5Vs but only 750mAh almost half that of the OEM but bare in mind that now it takes 3.5hrs to fully charge were the oem took like 1.25hrs give or tak i also use the service usb port on my TV somtimes but that takes allnite to charge which isnt a bad thing

one last thing ''quick charging'' also produces unnessary heat which leads to evn mor wear / tear

hope this give more insight

c if u can disable the power on the PC end too

jerimiah797

Jan 28, 2011
Okay, i want to bubble this up, again. I have an actual business case for this need. I have about 20 android devices connected to charging hubs, connected to a PC 24/7. My work runs a device farm for automation testing. Its called OpenSTF if anyone is interested. The devices must be connected with ADB over USB, and must remain powered on. Some devices are smart enough to disable their own charging circuits when the battery is full — but some do not. The ones that dont will overcharge the battery to such an extent that the battery will swell and start to push the screen away from the body of the phone. These phones unfortunately also cant run without a battery, so i end up replacing the batteries every few months.

I have tried modifying a usb cable to switch the 5v wire on and off, but unfortunately the phone sees this as a cable disconnect and turns the adb data connection off.

Any ideas are appreciated!

-Jerimiah

NiMareQ

Jun 8, 2010
Hi all, another use case:

While working remotely, I have a "dual monitor" setup from my Laptop + Android tablet using spacedesk (remote display) over USB.

My Laptop lasts 3-4 hours while working, my Tablet lasts 10 hours, so I sure don't want my Tablet to decrease my Laptop's life.

Laptop: DELL XPS 13 9350
Tablet: Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus LTE (YT-X703L)

Senbonzakura_Marie

Oct 23, 2020
Yes and no.

[EDIT]: THIS METHOD DOESN'T WORK TODAY FOR ME, SO I FOUND ANOTHER WAY. JUST SET STOP CHARGING AT FOR EXAMPLE 4. THEN WHEN BATTERY IS ABOVE 4%, IT DOESN'T TRANSMIT POWER.

I DON'T KNOW IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO USE PHONE POWER AND USB DATA, BUT YOU CAN USE "ONLY" USB POWER AND DATA.
IT IS POSSIBLE BUT NOT THE WAY IT LOOKS.

1.YOU SHOULD HAVE MAGISK INSTALLED.

2.DOWNLOAD ACCA FROM GITHUB

3.INSTALL ACC (ADVANCED CHARGING CONTROLLER)

4.FLASH IT.

5. CONNECT PHONE USB TO PC.

6. OPEN ACCA.

7.GO TO PROFILES.

8. OPEN EDIT OF 90% CHARGE PROFILE.

9. GO DOWN AND CLICK ON TEST BATTERY IDLE MODE.

NOW THE PHONE USES THE USB THAT IS CONNECTED AS BATTERY. DATA IS SENT AND RECIEVED. INDICATOR LIGHT IS TURNED OFF. I AM POSTING THIS USING TETHERING OF THE PHONE WITH THIS METHOD. IT IS NOT CHARGING AT ALL.

AS SOON AS YOU DISCONNECT THE USB, THE PHONE SHUT'S DOWN!! HEH, DON'T WORRY, WHEN YOU DISCONNECT USB, POWER BACK END SWITCHES TO BATTERY ASAP.

Screenshot-2020-11-23-13-44-51.png

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was about to open a new thread regarding this in the same section, yet I noticed this old one idling about with no replies at all, why not restoring it from the dead.

So, like, how to disable automatic phone charging when connected to PC via USB?
    I am trying to transition from WM to Android on my HD2, and I am currently checking how smooth it can be, yet this maniacal fixation of android to charge the battery whenever I plug a USB cable just pains me, in WM there's a nice option to "do not charge the battery when I connect the phone to the PC".

I have done my share of searching, both in here and in the mare magnum of google's index, but all the replies I could find in fora around the tubes of the internets were:

1) "Why should you disable that?"
    2) "I don't know, try cutting the power line in the USB cable" (??). (btw, that doesn't work as it apparently renders the cable useless for syncing)
    3) "Why would you ever want to do that?"
    4) "Tethering needs power so it's a good idea not to disable usb charging, just leave it on"
    5) "Why ever in the world do you want to ever disable that, like, ever, in everland?"
    6) "Use a bluetooth connection for tethering so you won't need the usb cable"
    7) "You can't"
    8) "blah blah EVER blah EVER EVER blah LEAVE IT ON blah blah did I say EVER already?"

So, why do I want to do that? Because I want to :D

Did someone find any kind of setting to have android stop charging the battery when I want to plug a USB cable to the PC? ;)
    Usb Charging Commander

I'm pretty sure it's not something you can change in software since the would phone charge when plugged into a computers USB port. You'd probably need to get your hands dirty and short a connection or two on the phone itself.
    take a look at post#3 in my last link - the guy is talking about Enclair and I can't swear, but I think I also kind of remember it was there :eek:

so - it WAS possible. I am not sure why it is not anymore...

1) "Why should you disable that?"
    So, why do I want to do that? Because I want to :D

Here is my reason:

I connect the phone to PC and disconnect it 20-30 up to 50x in a day (transfer the data all the time to PC, but have to get out of the office as soon as the phone rings to take the call - or to make one...)

I have heard that the Li-Ion battery don't suffer a "memory effect".

My interpretation of the "mem effect" is that with time, the Li-Ion battery won't provide shorter using time if it is randomly charged (not drained to 5% and then fully charged).

But what about a charging cycles How much can a lifetime stand? 1000, 2000 cycles?

And how do you count a charging cycle:
    - connected/disconnected to the charger, or
    - charged (in 1, 2, 10 iterations) from 5% to 100%?

In the first case, I really can see a potential of this app...

Or are you saying that I can connect and disconnect the charger for unlimited times?

Math:
    30 x 365 = 10950.
    Can a Li-Ion battery stand 10000 charging cycles (in a year)?

Plus - take a look at this tread:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=334542
    This is a Kaiser forum (WM), but there are a few more logical reasons aplicable to android phone, also...

Did someone find any kind of setting to have android stop charging the battery when I want to plug a USB cable to the PC? ;)
    Take a look here. I just saw this tread, so I didn't test it - yet:
    http://android.modaco.com/content/z...n/333406/usb-charging-commander/#entry1717856

Cheers
    Ok, for a couple of minutes, but I don't take a calls every few minutes... ;)
    It's (verry approx.) every 10-15 minutes. Sometimes 3x in 5 minutes, sometimes no call in an hour, but definitly I can see that my phone is charging, and the percentage is changing (up and down).

Is there a word or two somewhere about this toppic - what a charging cycle means for a Li-Ion battery?

Cheers
    You might give this a try usb-charging-commander - I can not post outside links so you have to search on your own. It's on modaco forum.
    Your device got to be rooted

Regards
    Use recovery

Connect USB In a recovery like CWM. There is option to do that in mounts and Storage-Mount USB storage.

HOPE I HELPED!!!:D
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone