Possible to Root Galaxy S Captivate with Froyo?

Search This thread

777funk

Aug 8, 2013
I'll start at the beginning. I have the crazy search button problem with my captivate once in a while. I need to root to disable that button. I'd like to keep the factory OS (Froyo) there are some things I preferred over GB (which I rooted).

I haven't found a way to root Froyo. I downloaded Z4Root APK but can't sideload it because "it's not on the market".

Is there an easy way to do this?

spac3c4t512

Aug 16, 2014
Smithville
Alternatve....

I'll start at the beginning. I have the crazy search button problem with my captivate once in a while. I need to root to disable that button. I'd like to keep the factory OS (Froyo) there are some things I preferred over GB (which I rooted).

I haven't found a way to root Froyo. I downloaded Z4Root APK but can't sideload it because "it's not on the market".

Is there an easy way to do this?

I used the method from this thread to root and install CWM recovery and custom ROM. It worked beautifully for me.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1350266

EDIT: I rooted Froyo with kingo root. Once you're rooted there is an app in Google Play named "Captivate Search Button Fixer". I cant verify that it works, only that it exists.

Last edited: