Possible to use side loaded app with android auto

Search This thread

sn1ppo

Jun 1, 2017
Hi,
I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge no root and I am not able to install the apk.

My device get recognized but I get always:
hero2lte:/ $ pm install -i "com.android.vending" -r /sdcard/Spotify.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INTERNAL_ERROR]

On the Samsung screen I get that the app cannot be installed due to protection criteria.

I have enable unkown sources and also the USB Debug.

Do you have any hint??
Thank you in advance

androidballer

Feb 13, 2013
I tried this method, I get success on spot.apk then I install it, login, and exit. still Android auto only shows Google music, TuneIn. Spotify doesn't show up under Android auto

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: kitllee

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
I tried this method, I get success on spot.apk then I install it, login, and exit. still Android auto only shows Google music, TuneIn. Spotify doesn't show up under Android auto
If you installed it again manually after doing this, then of course it's not showing up. This process installs the app. If you manually install it afterwards, you've undone what the command line process does. Try it again, but this time don't manually install the app after you run the command.

androidballer

Feb 13, 2013
If you installed it again manually after doing this, then of course it's not showing up. This process installs the app. If you manually install it afterwards, you've undone what the command line process does. Try it again, but this time don't manually install the app after you run the command.
thanks, that worked. didn't realize the command installs it, duh. appreciate the help

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jj71787

Apr 8, 2009
hate to revive an old thread. Just want to say thanks. It works on the app. Hoping it definitely works in the car.

Any way to get it working on Alexa ? lol

AndroidenKalle

Apr 30, 2013
Another way to use sideload apps is to enable unknown sources in the developer settings from Android auto. This is described in the beginning of this video:

I don't have the play store and use some additional apps than the Google apps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180112-080226.png
    Screenshot_20180112-080226.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 526

tasiv

Mar 27, 2013
Previous steps probably used to work, but now I'm using Android Oreo along with the latest android auto and this method didn't work. So, here follow these easy steps to make this work without to much problems

Basically - If you have an Android, and you have your favorite sideload app with no ads, normally... Android auto doesn't even show the app. Well, there's a very simple fix for this.

1.) Open android auto on your phone, not plugged into your car.
2.) Tap the 3 bars on the top left.
3.) Tap the (i) About button.
4.) See android auto at the top? Tap those words until you are a developer (about 10 times).
5.) Tap the 3 dots to the right.
6.) Tap Developer settings.
7.) Scroll all the way to the bottom, and tap Unknown sources.
8.) Have fun.

I'm not responsible for you using a bogus app and it taking your car over and mustanging a crowd ;)

THANK YOU! I had been doing the previous method for years, but just got a OnePlus 6 and all of a sudden android auto didn't allow Pandora. This fixed it immediately!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

yes there is a solution to install AA apps without publishing them in the playstore. It's quite easy look here : https://pixplicity.com/setting-install-vendor-debug-app/
    I tested it myself.
    sideloaded apps will not work, only apps installed by the playstore. However! You can still use xposed modules that work on playstore apps. I have an older version of spotify and pandora installed by the playstore that i haven't updated, and i use xposed modules with them and it works great. Pandora + pandora patcher and spotify + spotifyskip work great on my honda civic 2016 aa unit. I get no ads, unlimited skips, and even "thumb up" downloads.

edit : Edit

OK I am going to try to make this guide as clear as possible.

01)
    Have ADB Access via computer - https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979
    + have SPOTIFY.APK on the ROOT of your internal SD card and External SD. NAME the spotify.apk something simple... I am using "spot.apk" in this example

**MAKE SURE SPOTIFY IS UNINSTALLED ON THE DEVICE BEFORE DOING THIS PROCESS**

02)
    C:\adb>adb devices
    List of devices attached
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    <DEVICE ID> device

03)
    C:\adb>fastboot devices

04)
    C:\adb>adb shell

05)
    [email protected]:/ $ pm install -i "com.android.vending" /sdcard/spot.apk
    pkg: /sdcard/spot.apk
    Success

06)
    [email protected]:/ $ exit

C:\adb>

From here detach your device. Load spotify and enter your login information. Then exit and load Android Auto. The application will be installed within the music section of android auto !

If you have any questions feel free to ask
    This is exactly what I am trying to do. Make my patched apk work with A-A.
    I am rooted and on my MM phone i have Xposed. As there is no Xposed for N (7.0+) yet What do you suggest?

I use the patched apk for spotify. So you're saying get the free playstore version and patch it with an Xposed module ?

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

I am not the greatest with adb. I have used it long ago in the past.
    I have to have the apk on my local storage and install it via adb to get it to work / signed ? I read that page but I couldn't get it to work

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

I have tried all methods posted here, and have been unsuccessful. Could someone post a step by step guide to do this. I was attempting ways to do this so I could make a guide for everyone to follow.

I use the method in the link below now and it works great. I don't have exposed on Nougat, but this is better anyways.

https://pixplicity.com/setting-install-vendor-debug-app/

1. Download the patched APK of your choice. Rename it to something simple like "Spotify.apk" or "Pandora.apk"
    2. Copy the apk to the root of the phones sdcard.
    3. Turn on USB debugging on your phone. Plug phone into PC.
    3. Open windows command (CMD.exe).
    4. check if ADB is running and working with your phone by typing "ADB devices". It should list your phone. If it doesn't then Google ADB 15 second installer.
    5. Now that ADB is working with your phone you just type the following but you replace "app.apk" with whatever you renamed the files earlier, "Spotify.apk" or "Pandora.apk".

adb shell pm install -i "com.android.vending" -r /sdcard/app.apk​

6. All done. Unplug from computer. Log into the apps with your usernames, and go test it out in your car.
    Another way to use sideload apps is to enable unknown sources in the developer settings from Android auto. This is described in the beginning of this video:

I don't have the play store and use some additional apps than the Google apps.
    I know that Google has blocked side loaded apps from working with android auto, but for one reason or another I choose to use a side loaded version of an app rather than the play store version. I know the play store vests with android auto, as I have tried it.

Is there any way to get the side loaded app wot work with android auto?