• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Possible ways to Root Droid Incredible

Search This thread

socalracer

Aug 13, 2009
Basically this is for organization and for people to understand and help contribute to our root attempts

The Thread should discuss the ideas to gain root and why they won't work or what the status is. Also if you have a question of will this help us gain root, then post it or PM me and we can discuss it on IRC or in here and then come to a conclusion if it will help or not.

In no way am I a dev or understand how all this works completely but I would like to help and if this is a way I can, great and trying out new things.

Ideas

1) Newer Kernel Exploits

2) Zip File Fuzzing (Bootloader overflow)

3) Root Level things running

4) Mount internal storage and modify OS

5) Trick from the Desire

6) Let's put an image on the SD and see if it will boot that

7) Trick from the Evo
Status: No. The Evo depends on some specific stuff that Incredible doesn't have.

8) Fastboot oem unlock

9) Flash a new image

10)Shoryuken ptrace() exploit.

If you guys think this is pointless, delete.

Last edited:

dreamersipaq

Jun 11, 2008
exploit found?

Been looked at, something was potentially found but there were ethical concerns about using it because it would be a local root exploit on anything running the same Linux kernel as the DI.

Um... OK? Use it, root the phone,and any phone running the same kernel for that matter, then submit so it can be fixed. If the devs here found it, I'm sure someone more malicious WILL find it and exploit it.

** I MIGHT be talking out of my ass since you've not provided any details at it, in which case please accept my apology **

junjlo

Jul 16, 2008
Phoenix
Been looked at, something was potentially found but there were ethical concerns about using it because it would be a local root exploit on anything running the same Linux kernel as the DI.

Um... OK? Use it, root the phone,and any phone running the same kernel for that matter, then submit so it can be fixed. If the devs here found it, I'm sure someone more malicious WILL find it and exploit it.

** I MIGHT be talking out of my ass since you've not provided any details at it, in which case please accept my apology **

I had the same impression lol.

m1k3-

Jul 6, 2009
lake forest

It would be highly unethical.

Script kiddies would potentially have an opportunity to exploit thousands of vulnerable devices until they were patched.

dreamersipaq

Jun 11, 2008
Can you please clarify?

It would be highly unethical.

Script kiddies would potentially have an opportunity to exploit thousands of vulnerable devices until they were patched.

Just a question.... It seems to me that if we already have root.... thus the statement above.... that it's weird that the dev's are going " We have it, but we won't use it. Lets just look for a more difficult way to do it."

My question is can a phone be rooted through a "package" where it cannot be seen how it's done? So we reap the benefits of rooting, but the "script monkeys" cannot utilize it without figuring it out for themselves? Or maybe somehow package it as an updatable update.zip? Am I missing something?

moosc

Feb 21, 2010
Charlotte NC
not Delvp or any thing. But i was wondering is the way the droid incredible has the internal memory 8 gbs and the way stuff is stored. could this be one of the stumbling blocks? reason i ask is vzw/htc must have noticed a problem with and had to throw in a memory card because some apps need sd card...

1wingangel

Dec 20, 2009
Midgar
i might be the only one that doesnt care about ethics as long as my phone gets rooted

yarrr!!:):)
images

Last edited:

m1k3-

Jul 6, 2009
lake forest
I agree with a previous poster, lets get this thing rooted by any means necessary and then report the loophole before anybody with the wrong intent gets ahold of it.

i'm glad the people that are actually working on it are wiser than to try that. aside from the already stated ethical reasons....

even if a kernel vulnerability were found and exploited (and subsequently patched), anyone with a patched phone wouldn't be able to root their handset. so if you were to lose your phone (or it fails), you'd be outta luck, because any replacement you receive would almost certainly be patched by htc at the factory or a verizon store.

DISCLAIMER (i may be talking out of my butt here and anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but....)

gaining su via a kernel exploit also wouldn't necessarily allow you to do stuff like unlock the bootloader or write unsigned images. in which case you wouldn't be able to write a custom recovery image, and therefore would still be unable to write non-htc signed roms to the phone (thus defeating half of the purpose for which you went through all the trouble).

Last edited:

heavensblade23

Apr 11, 2010
It's already BEEN reported, and fixed I think. That's how we know the hole exists. The problem is that there are still tons of people out there running the exploitable kernel.

Jan 11, 2010
Columbus
i might be the only one that doesnt care about ethics as long as my phone gets rooted

You're not the only one. I can understand why they haven't released the exploit , but people are always going to abuse things like this. Sooner or later this exploit will be found by someone else and that person may or may not use this exploit just for the DI.
That being said, I really want to root my DI.

heavensblade23

Apr 11, 2010
I agree with the people that say the exploit should be used, but then again I'm not agreeing out of simple greed.

I'm agreeing because not releasing it is essentially security through obscurity which is a shaky philosophy at best. The idea that the hole isn't or won't be exploited unless it's released as a DI root is unproven.

But hey, I'm not a dev, maybe they understand the implications better than I do. If they don't want to release it then we'll have to find another method.