Post/discuss your battery life!

Search This thread

Snakecharmed

Sep 30, 2011
Don't give my phone/battery too much credit; this was only the first charge, the SOT isn't amazing, and I haven't installed my SIM card yet because I'm reluctant to make this my daily driver until I get my screen protector. Basically, it's being used as a Wi-Fi-only tablet right now and it idles as well as advertised.

NFC off, location off, auto brightness, time on was primarily spent installing apps and web browsing in Lightning. No video and no picture taking.

adqAs0Ll.png
0rAUgw7l.png
aPSChHwl.png

AhsanU

Sep 27, 2013
NYC
I've been getting far worse than usual battery life, don't know why. But I've disabled the smart settings, am only using LTE, and have disabled various apps I don't normally use like Google+ and what not.

Am quite desperate for root right now! Damnit :( greenify works so much better with it and Wakelock Detector doesn't even work without it.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Striball

Nov 3, 2013
My results:

This is my 2nd day with the phone and this is after the 2nd full charge. This time was better than my first as I had the "Phone" drain so I took those settings off. The results today aren't great by any means. My G2 would probably still be at 55-60% and that's WITHOUT babying it. I babied the hell out of the G4 today making sure I was getting all I could out of it. BTW, idle time is very very good. LTE internet browsing drops the battery % like no other.

Auto brightness set at 33%
Wifi browsing for about an hour, 3 bar signal LTE browsing for probably 40 minutes.
No video viewing
Apps used consist of about 90% texting, and 10% a game I play (has no moving frames)

I turned on LTE only when I needed it and turned it off when not needed. GPS or NFC wasn't used. Auto Sync was on. I disabled all the bloat I could (Also do this with my G2).

I know I read that the G3 has like this battery learning feature (don't quote me on that), if that's true, is that also the case with the G4? Because I sure hope so. Battery is the most important aspect to me alongside camera. I'd imagine it gets better within a week, but if it doesn't when I'm actively trying to save battery in all aspects then I'll pay the restocking fee and go back to my G2.

EDIT: Battery saver was just turned on right before I took the screen shots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-06-21-48-49.png
    Screenshot_2015-06-06-21-48-49.png
    203.7 KB · Views: 774
  • Screenshot_2015-06-06-21-48-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-06-21-48-59.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 772
  • Screenshot_2015-06-06-21-49-10.png
    Screenshot_2015-06-06-21-49-10.png
    138.9 KB · Views: 798

Sher The Love

Sep 13, 2011
California
My results:

This is my 2nd day with the phone and this is after the 2nd full charge. This time was better than my first as I had the "Phone" drain so I took those settings off. The results today aren't great by any means. My G2 would probably still be at 55-60% and that's WITHOUT babying it. I babied the hell out of the G4 today making sure I was getting all I could out of it. BTW, idle time is very very good. LTE internet browsing drops the battery % like no other.

Auto brightness set at 33%
Wifi browsing for about an hour, 3 bar signal LTE browsing for probably 40 minutes.
No video viewing
Apps used consist of about 90% texting, and 10% a game I play (has no moving frames)

I turned on LTE only when I needed it and turned it off when not needed. GPS or NFC wasn't used. Auto Sync was on. I disabled all the bloat I could (Also do this with my G2).

I know I read that the G3 has like this battery learning feature (don't quote me on that), if that's true, is that also the case with the G4? Because I sure hope so. Battery is the most important aspect to me alongside camera. I'd imagine it gets better within a week, but if it doesn't when I'm actively trying to save battery in all aspects then I'll pay the restocking fee and go back to my G2.

EDIT: Battery saver was just turned on right before I took the screen shots.
For "phone" drain, what settings did you take off?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

mediumraresteak

Sep 16, 2013
Here's my 3rd charge with the Verizon version.

Battery settings: 4G LTE, Auto Brightness with 50% base. No sync, BT, wifi, location. Kakaotalk and Juice Jam took up the bulk of my SOT (3 and 2 hours respectively). Also browsed the web and Youtube for an hour. I don't use wifi cause of unlimited data on 4G lte.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-06-23-53-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-06-23-53-08.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 726
  • Screenshot_2015-06-06-23-53-13.png
    Screenshot_2015-06-06-23-53-13.png
    155.9 KB · Views: 736
Reactions: ungraph

jbdan

Aug 30, 2010
Atlanta
I've had G4 since last Wednesday. This was about 18hrs total time with 15 on WiFi and 3 on LTE. 40 min phone calls. I'm really happy so far

Attachments

• 1433651878404.jpg
    1433651878404.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 710
  • 1433651892414.jpg
    1433651892414.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 718

AhsanU

Sep 27, 2013
NYC
Bit of advice to those looking for slightly better battery life: Google framework services were killing my battery, and it's because of sync - disable the ones you don't need! After disabling things like people and magazines, keep, TV, etc., my battery life got better.

My situation was particularly bad because I use three different gmails haha

omersak

Oct 15, 2010
The G4 is proof that one does NOT need to disable useful android features to get acceptable battery life.

When I had the S6 people would tell me to disable all location services, location history, google now, twitter sync and uninstall facebook and do a bunch of other crazy things - which basically nullified its android advantages - to get acceptable battery life. I did exactly that and the battery was still awful.

Enter the G4 with everything of the above active plus 2 additional exchange accounts on sync - all on 4G - and I only lose around 8% battery in 7 hours overnight. With the S6 and everything OFF I'd lose around 15-20%, sometimes more. THIS is how it should be, I shouldn't have to disable anything to get acceptable battery when I'm not even using the phone.

Granted the battery isn't exactly stellar when the phone is pushed and the screen is constantly on, but the amazing stand-by means it's really good for MY use - I can easily last 24 hours with 3 hours SoT, with the phone without any battery anxiety.

nipun1110

Aug 6, 2011
Dhaka
UPDATE: New G4's battery life

So, hours ago I mentioned that I exchanged my previous G4. I brought ir home and switched it off & charged from 35 to 100% & then actually started using. I have been using G4 so far for downloading a few apps, receiving a few calls, background sync is on, brightness at 50%, browsing internet & this is (below) what I got : SOT 1 hour 45 mins at 60% remaining. I must say I am bit happy now. I think my old one had really some issues.

Attachments

• 1433682424152.jpg
    1433682424152.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 792
  • 1433682440225.jpg
    1433682440225.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 808
  • 1433682455254.jpg
    1433682455254.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 776
  • 1433682468038.jpg
    1433682468038.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 812

Striball

Nov 3, 2013
8% overnight isn't anything to be proud of, it's still not great. The S6 has a memory leak or something along those lines that I read.

Overnight I'd consider a 1-2% very good. I haven't tested my G4 yet but I know that the G2 would stay at 100% over the course of 8ish hours. I'll test the G4 tonight though.

nismo929

Nov 7, 2011
Alert
I just left mine off the charger for the night (6 hours), with Wi-Fi and sync turned off and only lost about 1 %.

I recently turned off fast dormancy and noticed a big improvement in Sot, about 1 hour more, bringing it to around 5 + hours. Tonight will be charge cycle number 5. I did disable locations as I don't need gps very often.

I am using greenify, and attached a photo of the apps I've disabled. I live in the middle of a big city with good phone coverage, but know if I was visiting family out in the country side..might not be as good. I'm really wondering if people with bad battery results are maybe linked to one network? I'm also assuming that you have a lot more bloat ware added than the unlocked international version.

I am very happy with this phone so far. I am sure that I will be topping out soon for screen on time, but hopefully shortly after, custom kernels will come out to improve it even more.

Sent from my LG-H815

Attachments

• 1433689915459.jpg
    1433689915459.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 704
  • 1433689945229.jpg
    1433689945229.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 714
  • 1433689957613.jpg
    1433689957613.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 702

Kenishi99

Jun 3, 2010
While I had pretty bad battery life at the beginning when I first bought the phone it's now pretty good.
5 hours SOT - that's not bad at all!
See screenshots. :)

I never reached more than 2 hours SOT with my Sony Xperia Z I had earlier or with the Samsung Galaxy S4.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We were missing a dedicated thread for discussing battery life, maybe due to the fact that not many have the phone yet.

I test LG phones and I put them through the same battery test with 3 topics, video playback, surfing and gaming at different screen brightness.

You can see the results here in Swedish, you can easily understand the numbers in the diagrams :p
    Or you can read the whole article Google translated (turned out pretty good grammatically).

So post your battery results and discuss how to make it better (or worse)!
    For those who are experiencing battery drain from Google Play Services, i found a solution in AC forum which seems to be working well.

1. Go to Apps->Google Play Services
    2. Clear cache
    3. Uninstall updates
    4. Reboot
    5. Go to Play Store and reinstall updates
    6. Reboot

If you see Uninstall Updates is disabled:
    1. Go to Security->Phone Administrator
    2. Uncheck Android Device Manager
    3. You should see the Uninstall Updates enabled now.
    4. After reinstalling updates from Play Store, you can check the Android Device Manager.

I got like 4 hrs SOT at battery level 33% today, which is quite an improvement i would say...

Sent from my LG-H818 using XDA Free mobile app
    Which governor?
    Can you share your settings for it?

Sent from my LG G4

Sure, however I'm not responsible for loss of data, phone bricking, or anything else that may happen after using these settings. I have modified my phone such that it is working stable as of today. Tomorrow it may crash and I may have to adjust something, or add something I took away. I have spent a considerable amount of time messing with my phone and using all sorts of different tweaks. Right now I'm sitting at 47% battery remaining and a SOT of 4Hrs and 56m. I have been using Chrome heavily today pouring over the MSM8992 source code (yes fun stuff :cyclops:) and watching YouTube videos. I use manual brightness around the 35% setting. I hope these settings work for you (and anyone else that chooses to use them and also get great battery life).

I've been adjusting the governor quite a bit. My main phone usage is browsing websites and watching videos. These settings are optimized for doing just that. I don't have much else running on the phone. If you have lots of background tasks, or otherwise running other CPU heavy programs, these settings may not work for you. These settings also may lag the phone for some. I have spent a great deal of time adjusting the phone for battery life while making the phone snappy enough to do browsing and videos. There is a tradeoff. I can say as of my current setup the G4 will navigate through a webpage just fine without climbing over 633.6MHz. Watching videos doesn't tax the processor more than 768MHz and can run as efficient using only 480MHz. Youtube videos use between 633.6-768MHz while Twitch broadcasts use between 384-480MHz which is amazing to me. Your mileage may vary with different apps and a different resolution. So now onto my setup...

I'm currently running the CM 13 20160319 nightly. It shouldn't matter which nightly to run however. That was just the last time I updated CM. So if you choose to install the latest nightly, it shouldn't matter. I'm also running the phone at 1080p. I set it this way mainly because my vision is poor and using 1080p, it makes everything large. Also running at 2k I get the side benefit that the phone is marginally faster. I did test the phone at 1080p before any mods and I must say that battery difference was negligible. There was an increase in SOT but it was minor. However, if you're interested in copying my setup exactly, enter in terminal: (do not do this if you are running anything else but CM or a CM based build, things will break)
    Code:
    su
    wm size 1080x1920
    You'll likely have to adjust DPI after changing this. I suggest to use CM 13's DPI switcher under Settings -> Display & lights -> LCD Density, my density is set at 520dpi. You can also use terminal to adjust DPI.

If you wish to go back to your stock settings,
    Code:
    su
    wm size reset
    If you decide to run at 1080p, some things will break. I've only seen the Camera app break. I would try to launch the camera and I would get an error, "Gallery has stopped". I fixed the error by clearing the data and cache of Gallery and Camera, and also rebooting to TWRP and clearing cache and dalvik. The phone has been running great since and have yet to run into another problem related to 1080p.

I have also debloated CM 13 somewhat. Do not debloat these packages unless you have a replacement package. Here is the list of packages I've removed from CM 13 (so far). This list may not work great for everyone.

Code:
    com.android.browser
    com.android.calendar
    com.android.email
    com.android.exchange
    com.android.galaxy4
    com.android.inputmethod.latin
    com.android.messaging
    com.android.mms.service
    com.android.nfc
    com.android.noisefield
    com.android.phasebeam
    com.android.providers.calendar
    com.android.smspush
    com.android.wallpaper
    com.android.wallpaper.holospiral
    com.android.wallpaper.livepicker
    com.cyanogenmod.eleven
    com.cyanogenmod.lockclock
    com.cyanogenmod.trebuchet
    com.cyanogenmod.updater
    com.cyanogenmod.wallpapers
    com.svox.pico
    org.cyanogenmod.audiofx

I'm not running Xposed, or SuperSu. I am running the @genesixxbf3 Llama Sweet Kernel Uber4.9. I think using this kernel is important. It uses CPU hotplugging. This means it takes CPU cores offline while not in use. I have compared this kernel to the stock CM kernel and this kernel gives about an hour more SOT using the exact same governor settings. The only difference is hotplugging and GPU idle frequency. Genesixxbf3 said he was going to remove the hotplug in future kernel versions (likely due to instability). There may be compatibility issues using the Uber4.9 kernel and SuperSu and/or Xposed. You have been warned.

The only change I modified to the governor was to the Little CPU interactive governor and optionally to the Input Boost Frequency Core 1, so this setup is easy to do. The settings are below.

LITTLE
    CPU Maximum Frequency is 1440MHz
    CPU Minimum Frequency 384MHz
    CPU Governor interactive

CPU Governor Tunables:
    above_hispeed_delay (holding times as such because I want the CPU to stay at these frequencies if the load isn't too high)
    Code:
    above_hispeed_delay 20000 460000:80000 600000:200000 768000:100000 864000:80000 960000:60000 1248000:40000
    boost 0
    boostpulse_duration 0
    go_hispeed_load 99
    hispeed_freq 480000
    max_freq_hysteresis 100000 (setting higher than normal because I don't want the CPU to ramp down and get stuck at a lower frequency and the subsequent long holding times during intermediate idle scenarios while under heavy CPU usage)
    min_sample_time 40000 (short holding time for anything under 1440MHz)
    target_loads (set generous load percentage to promote efficient 384-768MHz frequency usage for most tasks like webpage navigation and watching videos without ramping up to max_freq)
    Code:
    target_loads 50 460000:75 768000:99
    timer_rate 20000 (a low setting for snappiness and responsiveness)
    timer_slack 80000

for best battery, Disable "Input Boost Frequency Core 1". For overall snappier performance and minor increase in battery usage, set to 768MHz.

These kernel settings should work with any stock rooted G4 and kernel, not just Llama Sweet Kernel. You won't get the hotplug or 27MHz GPU benefit though.
    6hrs sounds like a dream. I only get 3hrs. Do you have link for the Acces Lock app?

I read it on Android Central. This is the post from Tourbound129 on the LG G4 forum. Look for "Optimizing G4 Battery Thread" page 2 midway down.

"Download Quick shortcut maker on the play store.
    Open it, change 'incremental search' to ' normal search' and search for Access.
    You should get a Settings option that you can expand. Look for one labeled Access Lock and click on it.
    You can then try to see if it works out just make the shortcut."

And for the the person that thinks i am talking B.S. about 6 hours SOT, read that whole thread and look around the forum. People are getting better SOT than me. Believe what you want, i don't care either way. It is not a competition to see who gets the most SOT, it is about showing that it is possible and helping each other to get the best out of our devices. If you dont have something constructive to add dont say anything. If you dont believe me ask for more info to substantiate my answer. I actually took screen shots with both GSAM and the normal battery usage app, if that would help.
    So this is how far I got before the phone finally turned off. It powered down at 2%, which sucked, and I thought all was lost, but the battery stats remained after charging it for a minute while off. Not a bad run. Tomorrow I will turn on all of the stuff I never use and see how quickly I can kill it.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone