• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General Post here Radio Software /Firmware Booster info for Pixel 6 Pro

Search This thread

GivIn2It

Jul 12, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
I bought this phone for several reasons, the great Camera, rootability, but Mainly for 5G and faster data. It's Rooted with .037. Since I had my years old sim in the phone all I was able to manage was about 35 Mb/second on 4G. So I headed to the ATT store and got myself a new sim card for it. On the way home I did a speed test and got 75Mb/second, 5G. Great, I thought. So when I got home I wanted to do some speed tests, and it was on 4G. I have an anntlent booster in the house due to having a metal roof. It has the following bands. each can be adjusted Individually:
LTE Band 12 Uplink (698~716MHZ) Downlink (728~746MHZ)
Band 13 Uplink (776~787MHZ) Downlink (746~757MHZ)

CELL Band 5 Uplink (824~849MHZ) Downlink (869~894MHZ)

PCS Band 2 Uplink (1850~1910MHZ) Downlink (1930~1990MHZ)

AWS Band 4 Uplink (1710~1755MHZ) Downlink (2110~2155HZ)

I turned down all the adjustment screws and took the phone outside. It connected to the PCS band 2, 5G. Took it back into the house, it was showing 1-2 bars. So I turned up the gain on band 2. The signal strength jumped up, but the phone instantly jumped to 4G. I thought it was supposed to go to 5G on a strong signal, then fall back to 4g if necessary. I tried *#*#4636#*#* and setting the phone to "nr only", but you night as well piss up a rope, the phone ignores these settings and resets itself to "unknown"
I fiddled with it some more and got a solid 5G icon. But only 5 Mbps download. For a couple hours messing around, and re pointing my antenna to another tower, I finally got a 4G signal on AWS Band 14 with 15Mbps, less than I was getting with my old 4G Sim.
I would like to see this thread developed with better Radio versions, hopefully ones that can be actually locked to what they are set on, whether it be those who want to avoid 5G or those who want to enforce 5G. 5G IS definitely faster in my rural area. Software I used to help diagnose this, and cell tower locations: Network cell info (an older version from an old phone extracted with apk extractor because the new one on google play kept crashing) Open Signal, and I tried Network Signal Guru, but it did nothing on this phone. Please post any ideas you may have concerning Radio connectivity, Booster (resetting) better software and firmware, etc.

Last edited:

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
@GivIn2It I've changed the prefix of this thread from "Development" to "General" as it didn't qualify for the first. Please review the stuck guidances at the top of the forum and do not change the prefix back.

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Does AT&T even have real 5G (NR) deployment in your area? If so, is it NSA? If so, it probably uses B2 as the LTE agg link. According to the site below, ATT is supposed to be on n5/850mhz. You need to find out how ATT handles it's NSA deployment, but I guess you need to have B2 + n5 at a minimum.

Reactions: GivIn2It

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
Not sure if the Network Signal Guru betas are fully public yet, but they work great with the Pixel 6. No band locking though.

Contribute device capability info if you can to the cacombos site. We won't learn anything about what the Pixel 6 is capable without field testing. There's no documentation or data sheet for the "new" 5123b modem in the phone.

Reactions: GivIn2It

GivIn2It

Jul 12, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Does AT&T even have real 5G (NR) deployment in your area? If so, is it NSA? If so, it probably uses B2 as the LTE agg link. According to the site below, ATT is supposed to be on n5/850mhz. You need to find out how ATT handles it's NSA deployment, but I guess you need to have B2 + n5 at a minimum.

Thanks for that info. Apparantly, there is some aggregation going on. When the phone switches to 5G, none of the software including the Phone Info page will detect what band it's using. Phone info does show NR Available: True and NR State: Not_Restricted.

• Wow
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

GivIn2It

Jul 12, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Not sure if the Network Signal Guru betas are fully public yet, but they work great with the Pixel 6. No band locking though.

Contribute device capability info if you can to the cacombos site. We won't learn anything about what the Pixel 6 is capable without field testing. There's no documentation or data sheet for the "new" 5123b modem in the phone.
It looks like my device has already been added to the Cacombos database. I can't find a link to that beta. do you have one?

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
It doesn't matter if your device is already listed. It's incomplete.

And I don't believe I can share the alphas or betas.

GivIn2It

Jul 12, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
It doesn't matter if your device is already listed. It's incomplete.

And I don't believe I can share the alphas or betas.
OK, then. How am I supposed to obtain that device capability information to upload to Cacombos, I don't have software capable of obtaining all that information from the phone. I'm willing to share information if you're willing to share the software that can obtain the information.

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
Please read the Shannon instructions. You don't need NSG or other tools.

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Please read the Shannon instructions. You don't need NSG or other tools.
Problem is this, not sure the instructions are compatible:

This works with Shannon modem devices except Samsung Exynos device (eg. Pixel 6 and 6 Pro). For Samsung, please use Exynos internal logging by exposing modem to Scat, ShannonDM or Airscreen. Require root.

• Open terminal with adb shell or with Terminal app.
  • Start logging with in superuser (su)$ su
    # modem_logging_control START
  • Turn on Airplane mode and wait for 5-10 seconds. Turn off Airplane mode.
  • End logging with command# modem_logging_control STOP
  • You can find logging file now in `/data/vendor/slog`

Instructions under "Samsung device" references OneUI shortcodes which won't work with the PX6/P

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
It works. The wording is incorrect. It works for non-Samsung Exynos devices.

This is how we gathered the combos until NSG started working.

But the reason why we need more data is because one report from one phone only reflects the country they're in and what their carrier supports.

It's like cellmapper, more data is better.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

GivIn2It

Jul 12, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
I think I have figured out the problem. The Pixel 6 Pro doesn't like it when I have all my gains all the way up, at least for 5G. When I set the bands CELL Band 5 Uplink (824~849MHZ) Downlink (869~894MHZ) and
PCS Band 2 Uplink (1850~1910MHZ) Downlink (1930~1990MHZ) to a little over halfway, the phone regularly connects to 5G, especially when downloading. The signal icon on the phone varies between 2 and 4 bars. Download speeds about 2- 15 Mb/s, which is about a third of my better 4G speeds. But I get to see a pretty 5G icon on my Phone. Superb! My next step is to buy a honkin Yagi to replace my pathetic one, and do some signal searching to see if I can pull in that 75Mb/second tower. If that doesn't work, It's just wait for ATT to improve their 5G here, as I have determined that the Pixel 6 Pro is (mostly) working correctly out of the box, it is looking for the best signal, and if that's 4G, that is what it will switch to. Being more of a hardware guy, I think I can accomplish more with external equipment than I can monkeying with the guts of the phone. Rooting was scary enough. But I'm still open to flashing a better radio, when someone comes up with one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought this phone for several reasons, the great Camera, rootability, but Mainly for 5G and faster data. It's Rooted with .037. Since I had my years old sim in the phone all I was able to manage was about 35 Mb/second on 4G. So I headed to the ATT store and got myself a new sim card for it. On the way home I did a speed test and got 75Mb/second, 5G. Great, I thought. So when I got home I wanted to do some speed tests, and it was on 4G. I have an anntlent booster in the house due to having a metal roof. It has the following bands. each can be adjusted Individually:
    LTE Band 12 Uplink (698~716MHZ) Downlink (728~746MHZ)
    Band 13 Uplink (776~787MHZ) Downlink (746~757MHZ)

CELL Band 5 Uplink (824~849MHZ) Downlink (869~894MHZ)

PCS Band 2 Uplink (1850~1910MHZ) Downlink (1930~1990MHZ)

AWS Band 4 Uplink (1710~1755MHZ) Downlink (2110~2155HZ)

I turned down all the adjustment screws and took the phone outside. It connected to the PCS band 2, 5G. Took it back into the house, it was showing 1-2 bars. So I turned up the gain on band 2. The signal strength jumped up, but the phone instantly jumped to 4G. I thought it was supposed to go to 5G on a strong signal, then fall back to 4g if necessary. I tried *#*#4636#*#* and setting the phone to "nr only", but you night as well piss up a rope, the phone ignores these settings and resets itself to "unknown"
    I fiddled with it some more and got a solid 5G icon. But only 5 Mbps download. For a couple hours messing around, and re pointing my antenna to another tower, I finally got a 4G signal on AWS Band 14 with 15Mbps, less than I was getting with my old 4G Sim.
    I would like to see this thread developed with better Radio versions, hopefully ones that can be actually locked to what they are set on, whether it be those who want to avoid 5G or those who want to enforce 5G. 5G IS definitely faster in my rural area. Software I used to help diagnose this, and cell tower locations: Network cell info (an older version from an old phone extracted with apk extractor because the new one on google play kept crashing) Open Signal, and I tried Network Signal Guru, but it did nothing on this phone. Please post any ideas you may have concerning Radio connectivity, Booster (resetting) better software and firmware, etc.
    @GivIn2It I've changed the prefix of this thread from "Development" to "General" as it didn't qualify for the first. Please review the stuck guidances at the top of the forum and do not change the prefix back.

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior Moderator

It works. The wording is incorrect. It works for non-Samsung Exynos devices.

This is how we gathered the combos until NSG started working.

But the reason why we need more data is because one report from one phone only reflects the country they're in and what their carrier supports.

It's like cellmapper, more data is better.