• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

powkiddy x16 7" retro arcade

godkingofcanada

Nov 13, 2013
Right, so this came out a couple months ago. A few people have one. It plays Sega, nes, snes, mame, CPS, gba, gbc, gb, neo geo, ps1. I've seen people on YouTube and other places asking about a teardown. So... I tore it down. This is the first teardown of this unit online. I replaced the cheap glue with nickel/lead solder. Speaker wires do not detatch. No way to access internal memory I've found yet. But I'm on it. I don't recommend opening this as it's got glued on wires, and if you have no soldering iron you might be very unhappy. Anyone else got one??

Attachments

Last edited:

JohnnySJ

Apr 4, 2012
Hi, i am going to paste the exact same reply thats in your other post. Hopefully this helps. Please keep me posted. Lots of potential, but horrible software. Good luck...

"I bought one, and after watching a few videos i wrote in the comments of a Youtuber who's pretty knowledgeable about these kind of units. He told that it runs some kind of linux, and that several similar units are hacked and flashed with a distro that while imo is still very dated, runs a lot better and truly shows the potential of the device. The distro is called open dingu os, if im not mistaken. Here is the link of the video. Hopefully this helps. I would love to have the device with a better os. https://youtu.be/izKA3_rtDD0

EDIT:

I also found the forum for the OS used to improve these devices:
https://boards.dingoonity.org "

godkingofcanada

Nov 13, 2013
Ive got a couple updates, the chip that says Hynix is a 512 MB ram chip, details here: http://www.alldatasheet.com/view.jsp?Searchword=HY5DU121622DTP-D43-

The chip next to it is the IC, details found here: https://www.kynix.com/Detail/385901/ATJ2279B.html

The third chipset did not come back from the numbers on it. but since we have found the ram and the IC, it is fairly clear the last one is the internal memory. But here is the snag, I cant seem to locate any partition that is hidden on the chip... the console is sold and advertised as 8GB, but we get 6, seemingly because the other 2 GB are reserved for a system partition, but I cant locate it as of yet. I cant even get any information that the chip itself is actually 8gb. not being able to access a certain partition, and not being able to see that it is there at all are two very different things. Im not sure this will work via a PC. I might need to wire directly to the board. The other option is that the IC actually contains some flash memory as well, and that is where the system partition is located. I've got it narrowed down to a couple of ideas, but unfortunately it looks like I might have to open the unit once again to figure it out. It would be easier if someone was able to find the firmware files for the device. As it has a firmware folder built in, I am pretty sure the company intended to release an update .zip file at some point that we could place in that folder and flash it. If we can track that down we can look at whats inside of it. possibly even alter the contents pre flash to install other things. I'm not done trying with this device. But I will have to step it up from the most simple approaches into more drastic measures.

tigrisimo

Jan 7, 2009
Rom

Hi there:
I would like to know which kinda formats this device is able to work with
Is it possible to add any games ?
Thnx!

masalinas.gancedo

Jan 9, 2010
Mame roms bd format!

I donwload some mame rom files and many the device told me bad formar, this roms run ok in in retropi What are the correct formats for mame roms in powkiddy?

sd86

Apr 3, 2019
I've never actually heard of this device until this thread. It's nice that my first look at it is also a teardown. How well does it perform and in your guy's opinion is it /worth/ or nah?

AirborneDude

Jan 15, 2011
Firmware and Questions

Hi, I got the PowKiddy X16 2 weeks ago. I like the screen size, but I still need more info. I saw you guys talking about MAME roms, has anyone figured out how to get this in the right format. I noticed someone got a few MAME roms to work.

I tried zipping them, and they didn't work. I wonder if their is a tool that can convert the MAME roms into the correct format. The device came with some MAME roms, so there is a way.

Also, has anyone found an updated or hacked firmware? Does anyone know of a device that supports 32x or N64. I saw Powkiddy X18 has some interesting emulators, and looks to be a standard version of Android. I wish I would have put the money I put into X16, instead into the X18.

Anyone else try Powkiddy X18?

Thanks in advance

godkingofcanada

Nov 13, 2013
I've never actually heard of this device until this thread. It's nice that my first look at it is also a teardown. How well does it perform and in your guy's opinion is it /worth/ or nah?
I enjoy it at the price mark I paid. It runs several emulators well. But I wouldn't spend more then $40 or so. The big screen is nice. I've got a psvita and this screen and unit is bigger then that. It's only good for gaming. It plays music and videos but that's a feature that goes unused. It does also hold an SD card. Overall of give it a 7.5 out of ten. Probably an 8 or 8.5 if I wasn't a developer, I see the things they left out or didn't do but should have.

|~JayKay~|

Apr 27, 2019
Can someone please tell me how to get other games to work on this??

I have a Raspberry Pi II with a shitload of games already... I took the SD card from it and put it in the Powkiddy X16 but it doesnt show any of the files at all when I use the file browser.

How can I get my other games to play on this portable device???

o-marshmallow

Feb 26, 2011
Hello guys,

Thank you very much for the disassembly and the pictures. I am also a(n embedded) developer, so I am interested in this device, it looks pretty cool, I like its screen, but the OS seems really bad. From what we can see from the CPU datasheet, it is a MIPS32 device with an MMU, so having a Linux on it is (in theory) possible. I saw on another another xda thread about the device that someone got the device recognized differently by a computer when Vol- button is pressed when powering on. Do we have more info about this ?

EDIT: About the third chip, I also think it is an internal NAND memory. If we look closer at the cirucuit, the CPU's pin 158 to 165 are going "under" the chip. In the datasheet, these pins are described as "NAND_*" pins.

Attachments

Last edited:

GESATEC

Nov 20, 2014
Hi guys. I've the firmware about thi device (PowKiddy X16) however I don't know how to update it. Additional I would like to know if some guy here know, or can try, custom these firmwares to make a clean version without the horrible default games in main menu to

o-marshmallow

Feb 26, 2011
Hi guys. I've the firmware about thi device (PowKiddy X16) however I don't know how to update it. Additional I would like to know if some guy here know, or can try, custom these firmwares to make a clean version without the horrible default games in main menu to
Do you have a link to download the firmware ? Or can you upload it and us a link ?