• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

powkiddy x16 7" retro arcade

chrs2021

Mar 23, 2009
Hey @omar93500 - good news, that modification allowed it to mount both system and the external disk. shows that its fully writable too!
Great job, do you think you could make an re-encrypter for it seeing you figured out how to change values per byte?

o-marshmallow

Feb 26, 2011
Hey @omar93500 - good news, that modification allowed it to mount both system and the external disk. shows that its fully writable too!
Great job, do you think you could make an re-encrypter for it seeing you figured out how to change values per byte?
Great news ! Let's start having fun with this device then :cool:
I've just ordered my device, I should receive it in 2 or 3 weeks.
Well, having this system disk mounted, we can already start having homebrews or user code executed.
But as I don't have my device yet, I will work on re-encrypting firmwares as you said, it would be a big step !

Michal29

Jun 12, 2019
Great news ! Let's start having fun with this device then :cool:
I've just ordered my device, I should receive it in 2 or 3 weeks.
Well, having this system disk mounted, we can already start having homebrews or user code executed.
But as I don't have my device yet, I will work on re-encrypting firmwares as you said, it would be a big step !
ČUS to by s te mohl poskytnou zálohu her co je nahraná v přístroji.A by s te neudělal stejnou chybu a nezálohoval hry co jsou vhlavní SD kartě přístoje.Pokavad se přehrávaní frimwere vše se maže na SD kartě!

o-marshmallow

Feb 26, 2011
ČUS to by s te mohl poskytnou zálohu her co je nahraná v přístroji.A by s te neudělal stejnou chybu a nezálohoval hry co jsou vhlavní SD kartě přístoje.Pokavad se přehrávaní frimwere vše se maže na SD kartě!
I am not sure I understand your message, Google Translate is not the best for translating Czech :p
But indeed, before flashing any firmware, make sure you have a backup of the SD card and user data.

@godkingofcanada, Welcome back ! :D
We were able to unencrypt the (lastest) firmware someone posted earlier. You can see the pevious posts. I was then able to modified the encrypted firmware in order to mount system partition when connecting USB. I can PM you this modified firmware if you are interested.

Last edited:

godkingofcanada

Nov 13, 2013
I am not sure I understand your message, Google Translate is not the best for translating Czech :p
But indeed, before flashing any firmware, make sure you have a backup of the SD card and user data.

@godkingofcanada, Welcome back ! :D
We were able to unencrypt the (lastest) firmware someone posted earlier. You can see the pevious posts. I was then able to modified the encrypted firmware in order to mount system partition when connecting USB. I can PM you this modified firmware if you are interested.
Absolutely! Thanks :)

g00blin

Jul 19, 2019
Hello, i just bought a x16 i have different version that yours my x16 has already different screen (without any change of firmware).

but i have a problem when i try to run any external rom a got invalid file info

When i try open roms from x16 on my pc emulator they are corrupted.

if i try to unpack original zip roms from x16 on pc i get the mesage wrong file heather can't unpack (its look like roms are encrypted some kind. They can't be damaged becouse they work fine on my x16)

More info about unpacking:
Its strange. I can unpack using 7z from x16 ROM every file without first file. I check a lot of them, and in every ROM the first file can't by unpack. Rest files of the ROM are unpacking good.
When i take the files that can be unpacked from x16 ROM and switch them with files in ROM that working fine in my pc emulator its working fine to(ofcourse the same game). So its seem to be the problem with only first file in ROM.
Or maybe the ROMs are specialy converted to work on my x16 ?

thank you for any idea.

Do you think that changing firmware will help ?

using only pre-installed games on 16 is poor idea

Last edited:

o-marshmallow

Feb 26, 2011
Hello, i just bought a x16 i have different version that yours my x16 has already different screen (without any change of firmware).

but i have a problem when i try to run any external rom a got invalid file info

When i try open roms from x16 on my pc emulator they are corrupted.

if i try to unpack original zip roms from x16 on pc i get the mesage wrong file heather can't unpack (its look like roms are encrypted some kind. They can't be damaged becouse they work fine on my x16)

More info about unpacking:
Its strange. I can unpack using 7z from x16 ROM every file without first file. I check a lot of them, and in every ROM the first file can't by unpack. Rest files of the ROM are unpacking good.
When i take the files that can be unpacked from x16 ROM and switch them with files in ROM that working fine in my pc emulator its working fine to(ofcourse the same game). So its seem to be the problem with only first file in ROM.
Or maybe the ROMs are specialy converted to work on my x16 ?

thank you for any idea.

Do you think that changing firmware will help ?

using only pre-installed games on 16 is poor idea

Hello ! That's a good question, it is possible that ROMS or file in this device are encrypted. It's the first I see the interface on your device. I don't have mine so I can't reply myself.
@chrs2021, can you send us pictures of your device's graphical interface ? Is it the same ?

JohnnySJ

Apr 4, 2012
Hello ! That's a good question, it is possible that ROMS or file in this device are encrypted. It's the first I see the interface on your device. I don't have mine so I can't reply myself.

@chrs2021, can you send us pictures of your device's graphical interface ? Is it the same ?
Hi, i am not chrs2021, but i just wanted to provide the picture requested. This is the menu i have, and the one i have seen in most, if not all X16.

I installed the firmware that was shared here in a previous post, so my X16 is running version 1.1.10.120301.

Attachments

godkingofcanada

Nov 13, 2013
Hi, i am not chrs2021, but i just wanted to provide the picture requested. This is the menu i have, and the one i have seen in most, if not all X16.

I installed the firmware that was shared here in a previous post, so my X16 is running version 1.1.10.120301.
How did you get adfu drivers? Mine won't auto install with the app

JohnnySJ

Apr 4, 2012
How did you get adfu drivers? Mine won't auto install with the app
I actually never installed drivers, and i had lots of trouble installing the firmware. Took me 2 nights to actually get it sorted out.

Heres what i did to solve it:
1. Replace the micro usb cable that came with the device with one that came on a Google Nexus, or an Amazon Kindle fire. As soon as i switched cables, a new option appeared on the menu: "data and charge"

2. The app provided finally recognised the device, but when it gets to the step in which it tries to reboot the device and force it into adfu mode, the app would suddenly stop seeing the device and the firmware push would fail every time. I finally solved it by googling the app and downloading a newer version of the application. *Note* There are many newer version of that app, and those did not work. A specific version is the one that works perfectly from the very first attempt. I posted the download link a few pages ago, but if for some reason you cannot get it, let me know and tomorrow I'll upload and share with everyone.

Update:
Found my previous post, here is the version that worked for me:
Tool version (1.01.02) :
https://yadi.sk/d/wn0y5BdtFmQy9

By the way thanks once again to all you guys. This little device has lots of potential (It even runs some PS1 games very well!) and im super glad i did not return it. Im sure you guys are going to eventually make something much better than the OS that it comes with.
Cheers!

Last edited:

g00blin

Jul 19, 2019

Hello, pics are in my previous post. Only difference on that x16 is that blue screen instead the game shortcutsmenu, the rest of the console is exacly the same, file browser game launch menu save ect.

When i try unpack ROM-s with IZArc i get this message :

"3DUfwˆ™Ş»ĚÝî˙u±Č>

maybe this tell you something ...

i next week i`m goig on my vacation i cant upgrade firmware now, because my son like to play on it :), dont want to change it to a brick

When i come back i will try.

Maybe someone wat to try unpack i ca send it :)

thanks

Update: a couple photos

Last edited:

o-marshmallow

Feb 26, 2011
Thank you @JohnnySJ for the pictures and the information !
@g00blin, I understand, the ROMs are indeed encrypted, the fact is the firmware we have is also encrypted but we were able to decrypt it. What is your firmware's version ? (In Config app ou system app, don't know exactly what's the correct menu name)

I still haven't received mine yet, so I can't help a lot on practical usage. However, technically speaking, I've discovered that the OS used on it is uCOS (don't know if it's uCOS-II or uCOS-III).
What seems bizarre to me is that the binaries are ELF binaries, using UNIX - System V conventions. I was unable to find any simple SDK for this OS on our device.
However, I've found something really interesting here:
https://github.com/Suber/PD196_ATJ2127
It looks like an SDK for a similar CPU (same ISA), same embedded OS, on a smaller device。
The examples are provided full source, and after looking at them, they REALLY look similar to the one we have in the firmware.
After disassembly one of the binaries, we can see that the function calls match the source code from this repo.

So, getting this SDK running would surely help us getting homebrews on our devices !
This SDK depends on SDE toolchain (sde-gcc, sde-ar, sde...) which I can't find any download link anymore. It is not distrubuted anymore.

Moreover, the repo offers a full Chinese document (500 pages) on how to setup the environment and develop applications. There is even an explanation on how to install a debugger for the device ! But unfortunatly, I wasn't able to fine the binary described in the doc :(

It seems like it's going to be harder than expected...

Last edited:

g00blin

Jul 19, 2019
Thank you @JohnnySJ for the pictures and the information !
@g00blin, I understand, the ROMs are indeed encrypted, the fact is the firmware we have is also encrypted but we were able to decrypt it. What is your firmware's version ? (In Config app ou system app, don't know exactly what's the correct menu name)

I still haven't received mine yet, so I can't help a lot on practical usage. However, technically speaking, I've discovered that the OS used on it is uCOS (don't know if it's uCOS-II or uCOS-III).
What seems bizarre to me is that the binaries are ELF binaries, using UNIX - System V conventions. I was unable to find any simple SDK for this OS on our device.
However, I've found something really interesting here:
https://github.com/Suber/PD196_ATJ2127
It looks like an SDK for a similar CPU (same ISA), same embedded OS, on a smaller device。
The examples are provided full source, and after looking at them, they REALLY look similar to the one we have in the firmware.
After disassembly one of the binaries, we can see that the function calls match the source code from this repo.

So, getting this SDK running would surely help us getting homebrews on our devices !
This SDK depends on SDE toolchain (sde-gcc, sde-ar, sde...) which I can't find any download link anymore. It is not distrubuted anymore.

Moreover, the repo offers a full Chinese document (500 pages) on how to setup the environment and develop applications. There is even an explanation on how to install a debugger for the device ! But unfortunatly, I wasn't able to fine the binary described in the doc :(

It seems like it's going to be harder than expected...
HI here is firmware:

Its fuuny i ask about system 16 when i look on pic thats JohnnySJ send there is Golden Axe game. this is System16 game ?! Or maybe manufacturer block x16 ? But why ?

godkingofcanada

Nov 13, 2013
I actually never installed drivers, and i had lots of trouble installing the firmware. Took me 2 nights to actually get it sorted out.

Heres what i did to solve it:
1. Replace the micro usb cable that came with the device with one that came on a Google Nexus, or an Amazon Kindle fire. As soon as i switched cables, a new option appeared on the menu: "data and charge"

2. The app provided finally recognised the device, but when it gets to the step in which it tries to reboot the device and force it into adfu mode, the app would suddenly stop seeing the device and the firmware push would fail every time. I finally solved it by googling the app and downloading a newer version of the application. *Note* There are many newer version of that app, and those did not work. A specific version is the one that works perfectly from the very first attempt. I posted the download link a few pages ago, but if for some reason you cannot get it, let me know and tomorrow I'll upload and share with everyone.

Update:
Found my previous post, here is the version that worked for me:
Tool version (1.01.02) :
https://yadi.sk/d/wn0y5BdtFmQy9

By the way thanks once again to all you guys. This little device has lots of potential (It even runs some PS1 games very well!) and im super glad i did not return it. Im sure you guys are going to eventually make something much better than the OS that it comes with.
Cheers!
Mine keeps failing to switch to adfu also, but I have an unknown device in device manager. Installing the program didn't install adfu drivers. It keeps failing to switch modes. The screen goes black and it hangs until it fails. I clicked retry many times but nothing. I'll try this app. But I read the adfu drivers should install with the app

Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone