Prefix [View] and [Flyer]

Search This thread

wyldkard

Oct 23, 2010
Boston
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 6T
why not have our own forum?

Their hardware might be similar but the software, which is what the forum provides, is not compatible with one another, so why not a completely separate forum.

Similar to how the TMobile LG G2x and LG Optimus 2x are extremely similar but still have their own forum. I understand if the View development section was dead, but we are actually pretty lively, especially since HC got released

Who can we address this too? Im sure all my fellow Viewers agree and fell the same way

Whiskey103

Member Advocate Admin / Developer Committee
Staff member
why not have our own forum?

Their hardware might be similar but the software, which is what the forum provides, is not compatible with one another, so why not a completely separate forum.

Similar to how the TMobile LG G2x and LG Optimus 2x are extremely similar but still have their own forum. I understand if the View development section was dead, but we are actually pretty lively, especially since HC got released

Who can we address this too? Im sure all my fellow Viewers agree and fell the same way

Well you can send a pm to svetius, but time will tell. In the mean time we have at least a seperate Development section. I will also flag it to svetius. If we have a lot of requests it might be possible ;)

GODZSON

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 2, 2007
Boynton Beach
I second, How about Flyer/View for General, Accessories, etc... Development as is as it allows cross development visibility

Last edited:

globatron

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
Against.

I have several reasons for this.

1. They are no more separate devices that and Evo 3D devices or the Xoom models. Themes, accessories, applications are pretyy much universally interchangeable.
2. There is an established inter-connected community who share information.

wyldkard said:
Their hardware might be similar but the software, which is what the forum provides
That is only a part of what the site provides, granted it may be the part you are interested in but some are simply interested in knowing about themes, applications, accessories or just talking to other people with the same device. Why fragment the information?

To give a current personal example, if the view had a completely separate forum I wouldn't have done anything at all when the view HC update arrived because I simply would not have known about it.

Last edited:

wyldkard

Oct 23, 2010
Boston
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 6T
Pretty rare case I must say. Most if not all other devs only support devices they own and can test with.

Lucky for us they are merged so you could write up these guides

Sent from my PG41200 using xda premium

kaijura

Jan 1, 2011
I second globatron's sentiments. Before I bought a few Views, I had been browsing around the BB Flyer in store and reading up on the forum here as much as I could before making an informed purchase. If it wasn't for the information I learned searching through the sections before they divided, that the View and GSM/Wifi Flyer were evidently triplet brothers, I would not have made my purchases or gained the knowledge through the information given so far between all devices.

Segregating them from the start might have been smart move to reduce newbie errors, but on the other hand it also induces a 'forgotten twin' effect for the power users and developers.
Sort of like the Desire HD and Inspire 4G, they're both nearly same yet different sections are given for both, I feel it's probably tedious for those communities because they have to switch back and forth between both sections to keep up for new development and stay on top of the game.

Too much segregation might cause more harm than good, for reaching new features, (I wouldn't have known about capacitive buttons on HC Flyer) while in the end when it just takes a simple reading comprehension and disclaimer to make sure someone don't flash/follow the wrong material.

globatron

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
Despite what I said, I do think the entire top level Flyer forum should be renamed Flyer/View and the General, Themes&Apps and Accessories forums likewise to reflect this twin/triplet effect.

Reactions: dtack

GODZSON

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 2, 2007
Boynton Beach
Forum update: We got Flyer/View Forum renamed with sub-forums also, thx to Svetius for setting it up for me. We don't need a forum specific to The View, this will do well as development continues to grow then Flyer and View will receive their own sub-forums.

Enjoy!

godZson
XDA-MOD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oke guys, spread the word if you see it.

But i think its wise to start using prefixes [View] and [Flyer] in general section.

Since we dont have a separated Q&A.

So [Q][View] and [Q][Flyer] in General section will do.

Thanks

Whiskey
    Forum Moderator
    Thanks for getting this done Whiskey. Hat's off to you for the hard work
    Despite what I said, I do think the entire top level Flyer forum should be renamed Flyer/View and the General, Themes&Apps and Accessories forums likewise to reflect this twin/triplet effect.