Question Prevent apps from being killed?

Search This thread

terlynn4

Aug 18, 2012
Fort Worth
OnePlus 9 Pro
Is there a way to prevent an app from ever being killed? I have 2 examples:
1) Fitbit app (background sync service, specifically) - when this stops running, some features on my watch quit working until I launch the app and sync manually.
2) Battery monitor app - I've tried AccuBattery (my preferred app), GSam, and BBS, but they all get killed and restart, and therefore give inaccurate information. BBS doesn't die as often as the others, but I don't like it as well. All 3 have persistent notifications, so I can tell when they last restarted.

I've set Battery Optimization to "Don't Optimize" for all of these. I've tried turning off all 3 of the settings under Advanced Optimization (probably unnecessary, no noticeable difference). I've also Locked each of these from recent apps. Are there any other settings I'm missing that could prevent an app from being killed? Possibly something new to Android 11? Fitbit and AccuBattery worked fine on my previous OP7P with Android 10.

Reactions: jonlabu14

fifasax

Mar 28, 2021
1) Fitbit app (background sync service, specifically) - when this stops running, some features on my watch quit working until I launch the app and sync manually.
2) Battery monitor app - I've tried AccuBattery (my preferred app), GSam, and BBS, but they all get killed and restart, and therefore give inaccurate information. BBS doesn't die as often as the others, but I don't like it as well. All 3 have persistent notifications, so I can tell when they last restarted.

I've set Battery Optimization to "Don't Optimize" for all of these. I've tried turning off all 3 of the settings under Advanced Optimization (probably unnecessary, no noticeable difference). I've also Locked each of these from recent apps. Are there any other settings I'm missing that could prevent an app from being killed? Possibly something new to Android 11? Fitbit and AccuBattery worked fine on my previous OP7P with Android 10.
I have try to to go to developer mode and go to standby application. go inside and set the app you want to always on to active and remember still set battery to don't Optimize and locked the app. Do not click the clear all button.

terlynn4

Aug 18, 2012
Fort Worth
OnePlus 9 Pro
I have try to to go to developer mode and go to standby application. go inside and set the app you want to always on to active and remember still set battery to don't Optimize and locked the app. Do not click the clear all button.
Interesting, I haven't seen that before. Thanks for introducing me to something new. All of the apps in question are currently grayed out and say Exempted, so they shouldn't ever be put into standby.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Disable all power management*, Android does fine without it. Address any remaining power hogs individually on a case by case basis.
Power management will cause erratic behavior and can even increase battery usage even after its lame "adjustment" period.
To check if it is fully disabled go to Developer options>Standby apps, all buckets should show to be in their active state (and can't be manually assigned), if not power management is enabled.

Make sure allow background usage isn't disabled on the apps you want to run.

*yeah turn all those optimizing toggles OFF.
Only fast charging should be toggled on if you use it.

terlynn4

Aug 18, 2012
Fort Worth
OnePlus 9 Pro
Disable all power management*, Android does fine without it. Address any remaining power hogs individually on a case by case basis.
Power management will cause erratic behavior and can even increase battery usage even after its lame "adjustment" period.
To check if it is fully disabled go to Developer options>Standby apps, all buckets should show to be in their active state (and can't be manually assigned), if not power management is enabled.

Make sure allow background usage isn't disabled on the apps you want to run.

*yeah turn all those optimizing toggles OFF.
Only fast charging should be toggled on if you use it.
How does one disable all power management? I don't see any sort of global switch for that. Turning it off entirely seems drastic, but I agree that power management is generally more trouble than it's worth.

I did verify that the apps in question are allowed to run in the background and use unlimited data.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
How does one disable all power management? I don't see any sort of global switch for that. Turning it off entirely seems drastic, but I agree that power management is generally more trouble than it's worth.

I did verify that the apps in question are allowed to run in the background and use unlimited data.

It seems like you're setting up right. Check the Stand by apps status.
When you first load Accubattery it gives an option to disable task killing in settings, Pro version.
Uninstalling then reinstalling it sometimes works for me; clearing its data does not. I was getting the same error message until I just reinstalled it🥴
Just don't take Accubattery too seriously... it's useful up to a point.

I'm on Pie. Google really screwed up 10 and especially 11... so yeah it could something new as Google insists on changing things even if they're already nearly perfect🤣

If that fails check with Accubattery for guidance with 11. They are responsive to emails.
They may also be punching out an update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone