• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Preventing auto update

Search This thread

anth75

Jul 26, 2010
East Boston
I'm hoping someone can please help me. Everytime after rooting my N10 from TMo, it auto updates and i lose root. I made sure in dev options auto update was not on and i even tried to free the 2 updates in settings. Can someone please help?

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I'm hoping someone can please help me. Everytime after rooting my N10 from TMo, it auto updates and i lose root. I made sure in dev options auto update was not on and i even tried to free the 2 updates in settings. Can someone please help?
If it downloads the update clearing the system cache should purge I've been told but not tested it!
More than one way to skin a kat.
If you're rooted use one of the rooted apk blockers; I have very little knowledge in that area.
You can block the update app with ADB if you want.
Karma Firewall can be use to block the app itself from internet access, Karma uses almost no battery, freeware, an excellent apk. Can be set to run at bootKate.
Your carrier can also disable them on their end if it's a carrier phone.
I use Package Disabler on my 10+ to block the garbage. Use the none Samsung phone version.

Updates break phones.
Rule #1 if your device is running fast, stable and fulfilling its mission... let it be!

I'm still running on Pie. My current OS load is over a year old, still fast and stable in spite of heavy usage. Very low maintenance.
Security is generally just not an issue unless you do something stupid with Pie and above.
As course there is no saving dumb bunnies... even with the latest updates🤣

ninjasinabag

May 28, 2013
Philadelphia
In developer options is a toggle for automatic updates. Turn it off.

With that deactivated, it'll give you a notification prompt about new updates, but won't force the update like it usually does when you reboot your phone.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020

With that deactivated, it'll give you a notification prompt about new updates, but won't force the update like it usually does when you reboot your phone.
If it's a carrier OTA update app that won't work.
The AT&T one has every permission under the sun. It behaves like a bloody virus.

Reactions: ninjasinabag

SomeRandomGuy

Mar 17, 2008
Chicago
LG G4
LG G6
Google Services also pushes updates, and last night it managed to get through - usually it whines there is an update, and even if I let it, it crashes... figured no worries then. Well... it (or something, every other OTA service and option is off that I found) made it through and unrooted me last night.

See https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...can-meet-up-with-a-terrible-accident.4281293/ for OP

Luckily, bootloader still unlocked, updated to latest TWRP and reflashed Magisk and all seems to be OK.

Reflashing stock 14.0.11 gives a bunch of loop errors, working on that.

Anyway methinx time to get rid of G/S and replace with the Gapps version....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The AT&T one has every permission under the sun. It behaves like a bloody virus.
    Yeah, they're an issue.
    It's amazing they've been allowed to keep that app active.

But OP is talking about a TMobile device which uses the on system updater instead of some carrier crap thankfully.