Primary Windows Live Messenger Thread (LAST UPDATED: 11-JAN-10)

Search This thread

leepriestenator

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 25, 2006
I've been trying to get to the bottom of this Windows Live Messenger business and finally after going through several redundant threads, this is what I found. Hope it helps to rid everybody of all doubts regarding the various versions of this crappy but kind of must-need software.

LATEST VERSION

CLICK HERE
Information
Version: 10.7.0061.0500
Date Published: 1/8/2010 (Jan 8th 2010)
Language: English
Credits: Post Reference

There are 2 files available at the download site. Please note that WindowsLive_0409.PPC2005_arm.cab is English-only.

OLDER VERSIONS

1) 10.6.31.1600 (aka 10.6.0031.1600)
This is the first version of Live Messenger to get rid of that most annoying Contact Sync feature which would copy all your MSN contacts to your phone book.

2) 10.6.31.2600
This one has been around in the various forums for a while now. I'm yet to try it out though. I don't imagine there will be too much of a change between this and the previous version.

I found 2 cabs of the .31.2600 from 2 different users. The one posted by 'duttythroy' is 1.80 MB while the other one is 1.97 MB.

3) 10.6.32.2100
I found 2 cabs of the .32.2100 from 2 different users again. Both of them don't install to the Storage card even though during setup you are prompted for the destination.

Both are almost the same size and were posted by 2 different users, one of them being 'duttythroy'. The one posted by 'duttythroy' is 18,89,104 bytes while the other file is 18,91,699 bytes.

Except for fewer files in v10.6.32.2100 (56 files) compared to v10.6.31.1600 (155 files), I couldn't find anything else different. If aything it'll reduce the time needed to browse through your Windows folder compared to the when the previous versions were installed. Also the option to disable copying of all MSN contacts to the phonebook is still there. NO WORRIES THERE. Phew.

4) 10.6.33.0600

I honestly can't see anything different with this release. However there is some increase in file sizes of most of the DLL's. The overall package has gone from 1.80MB of the last version (10.6.32.2100) to 2MB for this version (10.6.33.0600)

Note: There was a small registry entry problem with this cab. It has now been fixed and will work fresh off the bat.

5) 10.6.34.0800
As before, there isn't any noticeable difference from the previous version with the exception of an increase in filesize.

Thanks to qtek_metanol who made this version available to us.

PROBLEMS and TROUBLESHOOTING

There have been lots of people who have had trouble with installing and running Windows Live and Live Messeger. There are few things you can do to avoid these problems.

1) DO NOT INSTALL TO THE STORAGE CARD. Some of the file references have been hardcoded into the DLL's. Hence as far as I know, installing Windows Live to your Storage Card will not work. It will install but nothing will happen when you run the program.

2) Make sure you uninstall any previous version of Windows Live that you may have. I would suggest going into Safe Mode to uninstall it to make sure that all files and registry entries are completely removed. You can get access to Safe Mode if you have monocube's Safemode program or SPB Pocket Plus. If you can't do this, then atleast sign out, disable email sync and then soft reset your device before attempting to uninstall.

3) If you have just hard reseted your device, then please make sure that one of the first programs you install is Windows Live. Many users have complained that Live Messenger doesn't work after installing some programs and alternate Language support.

4) The Windows Live versions posted here, give you the option to either copy your MSN contacts to the phonebook or not. If you chose to copy your MSN contacts to the phonebook during installation and then later decided you wanted to remove them from the phonebook... whatever you do, DO NOT DELETE YOUR MSN CONTACTS FROM THE PHONEBOOK. This will result in you loosing all your MSN contacts completely (from the MSN Server). The safe way to remove MSN contacts from your phonebook it to go to Windows Live -> Menu -> Options -> Sync Options -> Uncheck "Store Windows Live Contacts in your mobile phone's Contact List"

5) As a rule of thumb, it's always a good idea to backup your MSN contacts on your desktop. The desktop version of Windows Live Messenger or MSN Messenger has an option to export all your contacts to a file on your computer. There have been a few users that have complained about Live Contacts getting inadvertently copied to the Phonebook despite unchecking the option to sync MSN contacts to the phonebook. This is usually the result of an error during installation or what Microsoft calls a gremlin in the depths of the code. In such cases having a file with all your contacts makes it easy for you recover from an accidental deletion of all your contacts.

STEP-BY-STEP

INSTALLATION

installationwg6.jpg

SETUP

setupzr6.jpg

Windows Live

windowslivesy5.jpg

Live Messenger

livemessengerlx9.jpg

Last edited:

DJ_Enigma

Oct 21, 2006
Nice one :)

but...how can I make this work over WIFI on my Vario III?

Cheers,

DJ

/edit got it working :D :D

Next question....how can I stop T-Mobile from knowing I'm using instant messaging on a tarriff that doesnt allow it :p

Last edited:

leepriestenator

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 25, 2006
Difference between 10.6.32.2100 (duttythroy) and 10.6.32.2100 (Fixed)

The (Fixed) cab has one extra file named mxipupdate_windowslive_1.provxml

These are the contents of the file.

<wap-provisioningdoc>
<characteristic type="FileOperation">
<characteristic type="%CE11%" translation="install">
<characteristic type="MakeDir" />
<characteristic type="Windows Live.lnk" translation="install">
<characteristic type="Copy">
<parm name="Source" value="\Windows\WLMLauncher.lnk" translation="install" />
</characteristic>
</characteristic>
</characteristic>
<characteristic type="%CE11%" translation="install">
<characteristic type="MakeDir" />
<characteristic type="Windows Messenger.lnk" translation="install">
<characteristic type="Copy">
<parm name="Source" value="\Windows\WLMMessenger.lnk" translation="install" />
</characteristic>
</characteristic>
</characteristic>
<characteristic type="%CE11%\Pocket MSN.lnk" translation="install">
<characteristic type="Delete">
<parm name="ForceDelete"/>
</characteristic>
</characteristic>
<characteristic type="%CE2%\Help\Pocket MSN.lnk" translation="install">
<characteristic type="Delete">
<parm name="ForceDelete"/>
</characteristic>
</characteristic>
</characteristic>
</wap-provisioningdoc>

Last edited:

leepriestenator

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 25, 2006

Last edited:

leepriestenator

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 25, 2006
LOL... Thanks very much for that dutty(throy) ;) much appreciated. Just flashed one of your Supa Dupa ROMS... love it.

leepriestenator

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 25, 2006
More of a silent reader than anything else... Love my Hermes a lot more thanks to your SUPA CLEAN ROM ;)

Updated the first post with the latest version.

leepriestenator

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 25, 2006
Absolutely... thought i'll just help clear up all the redundant... "Which one is the latest Windows Live version?" threads.

Thanks duttythroy... much appreciated.

leepriestenator

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 25, 2006
@qtek_metanol... could you please check if your Windows folder had any files that start with the names WLM?

I tried installing every version to the storage card and none of them work post installation. Wierd.

BIG-Stan

Jul 22, 2007
Germany
Hey there,
just wanted to say great thread and ask 1 question :D
Does anybody know why my hotmail account wont sync with windows live mobile? Everytime it begins to sync it stays there forever untill it says that " the remote server didnt resond or something like that".
It's really annoying since I was able to sync everything with the first build that was shipped with the TOuch.
Any help would be highly appreciated, thanks!

leepriestenator

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 25, 2006
That happens to me sometimes when i'm on a GPRS connection. What does work for me is using the Send / Recieve option inside the Messaging app over a WiFi connection. The data load during the first sync after installation can be quite large. GPRS connections tend to time out.

qtek_metanol

May 5, 2007
@qtek_metanol... could you please check if your Windows folder had any files that start with the names WLM?

I tried installing every version to the storage card and none of them work post installation. Wierd.

Hi leepriestenator,

I have some WLM files in the Windows folder, but the reason is because I am using a Windows 6 Version which has the WLM application fixed to the OS.

Bu anyway, the installer of the new WLM version gave me the option to install the application on the Storage Card and I did so, now i have a folder Windows on the Storage Card and there can i see all the WLM files from the new version, after a check of the data, the working version is the new fresh installed one and not the older one from ROM.

Last edited:

leepriestenator

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 25, 2006
@ qtek... if it's not too much to ask... could you please make a list off all the files starting with WLM in the Root Windows folder and post them here. Also I would appreciate it if you could export your entire registry and send it to me.

A fresh installation of WLM will not work if installed to the storage card. I think the version number is coded into the exe's and when you run the application it is relying on some critical files which are in your windows folder even though they are older versions.

If you can post the names of the files in the Main Windows folder, then i'll probably be able to work off it and create a new cab that can work straight from the Storage Card with minimal dependencies in the Root Windows folder.

@jakeypoo... Latest version? As far as I know v10.6.33.0600 is at the moment the latest. Let me know if you know otherwise.

Thanks

leepriestenator

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 25, 2006
How so? According to the version number, it is the latest. This is currently the latest build available in the forum.

edkmho

Aug 6, 2005
I have downloaded the latest version and try to install on storage card, unfortunately my Dopod D810 with official WM6 complainted that it does not have authority to install. But when i select install to device, it installed properly and run ok.