Prime Video App requests Update (error 8056)

Search This thread

johndoe0816

May 19, 2022
Hello,
I have a Fire TV Stick 4K on Fire OS 6.8.2.1. Updates are blocked via debloat tool and the update URLs in my AdGuard.
Since today the Prime Video App refuses to start, it says that it requires an update, error code 8056. This brings me to the general update option that would update the complete OS, which of course is not possible (and not wanted), as it is blocked.
My Prime Video App has version 33.1543-L.
Here in the forums I could just find way older versions of it. But I also did not see someone else with my issue.
Is Amazon blocking Prime Video without a recent OS version or is there a different way to fix that?
I have already deleted the app cache and data and rebooted the device, no change.

johndoe0816

May 19, 2022
Disabling AdGuard while still having the OTA files disabled still leads to an update error (of updating the system software, that is what is written there). Would the fire tv update function really only update apps, without the OS itself?!

JohnC

May 5, 2007
Amazon Fire TV
Google Pixel 4a
I have updated apps without any problems with just the three OTA files disabled, and the OS has not updated either.

So it sounds like something else you disabled is preventing you from updating the app - did you disable any other "files" in the debloater?

johndoe0816

May 19, 2022
You can't browse for updates while having the OTA disabled... You may sideload the updated apk with adb.
Do others have a higher version number of the prime video app? Any idea where I could get that? I just jound a version 27, while I am already on 33. If Amazon raised the minimum required version, I would also expect that there are more people with the same issue, as a lot stayed at the lower version numbers of fire OS.

johndoe0816

May 19, 2022
Update:
I saw that here not only fire os but also the app updates are available:
This is coming from this thread, which first looked like its only focussing on the fire os:

I downloaded prime video version 39 and could install that via adb link, after that prime video starts again without an error!

So problem solved, hope that this will help others as well (this was the first time I ever experienced this on a fire tv).

Top Liked Posts