Question [Privacy on Android 12] Mic and Camera Toggles in Android 12 are great but..

Search This thread

Nate_Lines

Dec 4, 2009
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Do the toggles actually physically switch off the camera and microphone modules or not? I am very particular about privacy (I shouldn't have bought a Google phone, I know, but I'm waiting for the latest GrapheneOS), so I was wondering if the Google Services can actually still access camera and mic or not?

Also, on a related note, I don't upload my photos to Google Photos, but I do use the editor, as with the new features it's just great. I turned off face grouping in Google Photos, but I'm still worried Google may scan my photos for content. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks a lot!

Reactions: Diablo2424

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
The Capital above the Lower one...
I can categorically state that whilst the buttons 'APPEAR' to work for the end user, the camera and mic are NEVER turned off.

Only a hardware switch can do this. I 'COULD' place a switch on the positive power to camera, or add to a mic, but rather pointless dont you think?

That's the point of the old 80's-90's question, would you let big brother into your home?

You do now.

Type Nokia 'james bond trick' in google.

We had a field day when that was out knowing the battery had to be removed to prevent this hack...

This is why they sealed in the batteries....

Google = one drive, they already got everything on your fone, if not, they got it from your families fones via contacts etc... whoever sent what, they know. In fact, by law, when you first bought fone, you agreed they OWN your photos when you first accepted in order to turn phone on for the first time.

Proof?

Who took the photo first, you or google? The fone did. Get it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nate_Lines

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Do the toggles actually physically switch off the camera and microphone modules or not? I am very particular about privacy (I shouldn't have bought a Google phone, I know, but I'm waiting for the latest GrapheneOS), so I was wondering if the Google Services can actually still access camera and mic or not?

Also, on a related note, I don't upload my photos to Google Photos, but I do use the editor, as with the new features it's just great. I turned off face grouping in Google Photos, but I'm still worried Google may scan my photos for content. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks a lot!

As mentioned above, the effect of those switches is superficial.
Now as far as buying a "google" phone for privacy, it really is the BEST option for privacy. Why? Because of unlockable bootloaders. They're also a lot more secure out of the box than ANY other phone you can buy.

The only options are;
1) Pixel (has google spyware, but can be removed).
2) Non-Pixel Android (has google spyware, has VENDOR spyware, has CARRIER spyware, CANNOT be removed).
3) Android without google spyware (has PRC spyware, CANNOT be removed).
4) The fruit company (anyone's guess, CANNOT be removed).

My recommendation is you start off with google-free AOSP. Best for you to build it yourself, but you are also welcome to my build. Just search for my AOSP thread.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks a lot!

As mentioned above, the effect of those switches is superficial.
    Now as far as buying a "google" phone for privacy, it really is the BEST option for privacy. Why? Because of unlockable bootloaders. They're also a lot more secure out of the box than ANY other phone you can buy.

The only options are;
    1) Pixel (has google spyware, but can be removed).
    2) Non-Pixel Android (has google spyware, has VENDOR spyware, has CARRIER spyware, CANNOT be removed).
    3) Android without google spyware (has PRC spyware, CANNOT be removed).
    4) The fruit company (anyone's guess, CANNOT be removed).

My recommendation is you start off with google-free AOSP. Best for you to build it yourself, but you are also welcome to my build. Just search for my AOSP thread.

Thanks a lot!
    I can categorically state that whilst the buttons 'APPEAR' to work for the end user, the camera and mic are NEVER turned off.

Only a hardware switch can do this. I 'COULD' place a switch on the positive power to camera, or add to a mic, but rather pointless dont you think?

That's the point of the old 80's-90's question, would you let big brother into your home?

You do now.

Type Nokia 'james bond trick' in google.

We had a field day when that was out knowing the battery had to be removed to prevent this hack...

This is why they sealed in the batteries....

Google = one drive, they already got everything on your fone, if not, they got it from your families fones via contacts etc... whoever sent what, they know. In fact, by law, when you first bought fone, you agreed they OWN your photos when you first accepted in order to turn phone on for the first time.

Proof?

Who took the photo first, you or google? The fone did. Get it?