[PRIVACY] WARNING: Dolphin's collection of your browsing history

Search This thread

gb.sn

Nov 6, 2011
I didnt know that dolphin was such a 'privacy pirate' until i decided to try it out.

I am a very cautious person and do not trust the android os itself before i say any 3rd party android app. The android os is riddled with individual apps that all constantly read, store and transmit your device id, contact details (your phone numbers and emails etc and that of your friends & relative stored on your device) and very likely your browsing habits and banking details and a lot more most people (who i call 'sheeps' deliberate misspelling there) dont have a clue about.

Anyway back to dolphin - on installing the app, i began to notice some suspect behavior from the browser (not going to go into details here) and this make me realize that dolphin like many other free apps (include apple devices) out there are all trojan horses, given to us supposedly free whilst it is silently in the background gathering all kinds of data from us and about us, to be sold to big corporations or uncle sam.

I subsequently immediately uninstalled it and to my surprise a couple of seconds after uninstalling dolphin v10, my firefox browser was started up and brought to the fore and a very long survey link starting with - http://survey.dolphin.com/int/uninstall?id= was pushed unto it and then the submit button clicked, all without me doing anything. The submitting of the inform about my phone and GOD knows what else about me that was on that link was thwarted by the fact that i have LBE install and so LBE needed me to confirm that i wanted firefox to connect to my phone 3g internet connection, which i denied. However most user i believe are not as cautious as me and if it was them, dolphin would have that info straight away.

Anyway on observing the very long link/url i realized that the link also have my phone model, my android os version, my country code, my mobile providers MCC and MNC, my screen-size and some other codes. So apart from the infos mentioned there were 4 other sets of longish numbers that looked hashed/salted info and therefore encrypted, so i/we cant know what was being sent and ask them why they need that info!

Now for those who will say oh its just a survey - i ask - why does a survey supposedly to find out why i uninstall dolphin need such a long link all that personal info - for example, my country code, phone providers MCC and MNC? They could have achieved finding out why i uninstall dolphin with just a simple normal link pointing to the actual survey page asking me for all the info they tried to send to themselves without my permission and i would have decided if i wanted to give it to them or not!

They are still up to their same old tricks of siphoning off to their servers, our internet usage and other private data, they are just now very clever at doing so i.e. encrypted it and hiding the codes responsible for this deep within their programming code, so we dont see or recognize it, whilst pretending to give us improvements and so called superfast/best browser.

Everyone should think about this question very careful - Why would a company like dolphin or any other company or app developers out there hire/employ tons of programmers and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to give us a free browser, --- where do they get their income from or what is their income stream?

I guess these companies rely on the age-old fact that most people are 'sheeps' and that they like free stuff, give people free stuff or enough money and you can do anything to them or use them in anyway you want, as long as you are smart about it, from stealing their info, to spying on them, to even trying out new drugs/chemicals/gm products on them, to slowly poisoning them, whilst convincing them that its all in their interest and that they have free will etc!
Although I don't defend dolphin browser and its crappy spyware (i dont use it anymore), you need to understand that country code and carrier's MCC and MNC are not personal information. Device resolution isn't either. Device specs aren't personal information whatsoever. Honestly, I don't even understand why you would be pissed if they take your screen resolution number. However, information in the OP is actual personal information and is a matter of concern, but not what you posted. Nearly every website sees your user agent, operating system, IP address, your country code and all that browser related crap that sometimes includes resolution, some even store it, and put a cookie in your computer for when you come back. So, if you are bothered by it, just cancel your internet provider and live out of the internet. Otherwise, its a bit hypocritical to bash taking device specs on apps but not websites. Even a crapton of free apps on the play store include google ads that you can't even see, its part of analytics.

Also, a lot of the revenue in browsers come from search royalties, firefox makes a lot of money with people using the embedded search like google, bing, yahoo etc. I'd say dolphin also makes money when people search stuff right from the browser nav bar via google or any other provider.

Dolphin's url collection and such is enough to stop using it, but not the fact they collect device specs. Your post for concern is good, just not on the right point. By the way, xda mods can see your ip address, enough to pin point your country code, or whatever VPN services you may be using. Xda also has ads ;D

Last edited:

aminaked

Oct 28, 2011
Redwood City, California
flowingwoo.com
Dolphin's url collection and such is enough to stop using it, but not the fact they collect device specs. Your post for concern is good, just not on the right point. By the way, xda mods can see your ip address, enough to pin point your country code, or whatever VPN services you may be using. Xda also has ads ;D

Web sites can only collect so much information, but a browser app can collect so much more. Read Dolphin's privacy policy for a hint as to what they are collecting. In a word, *everything* is up for grabs. A web site that you visit cannot do this. This is why you should not use a spyware browser: http://dolphin.com/privacy/privacy-policy-for-dolphin-browser/

The situation is ridiculous and you cannot defend what browsers like Dolphin do. Saying that an XDA admin can see my IP address is totally different from an app being aware of your every site visit, password, scroll, and touch.

Furthermore, phoning home wastes extra battery power, bandwidth, and CPU cycles but the bottom line is a web browser is supposed to be secure and not leak data.

gb.sn

Nov 6, 2011
Web sites can only collect so much information, but a browser app can collect so much more. Read Dolphin's privacy policy for a hint as to what they are collecting. In a word, *everything* is up for grabs. A web site that you visit cannot do this. This is why you should not use a spyware browser: http://dolphin.com/privacy/privacy-policy-for-dolphin-browser/

The situation is ridiculous and you cannot defend what browsers like Dolphin do. Saying that an XDA admin can see my IP address is totally different from an app being aware of your every site visit, password, scroll, and touch.

Furthermore, phoning home wastes extra battery power, bandwidth, and CPU cycles but the bottom line is a web browser is supposed to be secure and not leak data.

Do you have problems reading? I said right at the beginning of my post that I wasn't defending dolphin browser for spywareing and I don't even use that crap, read please... Also, my paragraph was not discussing what dolphin can or cannot do with its policy, I said collecting URLs and what you visit is wrong, which is actual personal information. What my post was about is the people complaining about an app collecting device specifications and calling it personal information, when in fact, it isn't and never will be. What dolphin's policy says or not says has nothing to do with what I posted. You do realize that an admin knowing your IP address can cause more stuff (lets not call it damage) than an app querying for what android version you are running and what resolution your phone uses? Performance specifics was not my concern either, I'm talking about personal information that can do damage, not generic stuff like country, OS, cpu speed and things that don't relate to the person in any way to determine lifestyle or specific preferences or link you to a specific issue. Like I said at the end, his concern was there, but the point was the incorrect one. Complain about actual personal tracking/spying, not analytics. Analytics is everywhere, and people complaining about it are naive if they think the only things that collect such information are apps...

Browsers are supposed to not leak personal data ;D This is kind of like complaining about steam collecting your computer specifications for their survey and calling it "personal" information leak, just because they know what clock speed your processor is running at, or the video card you have. I honestly don't understand how that can be used to identify you on a personal level.

Last edited:

zolaisugly

Mar 2, 2011
Sony Xperia 1 III
Since dolphin is now up to version 10.x.x.x is this still valid as op stated that after version 7 the webzines is no longer being transmitted.....

Have I missed something?

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

vipercoyote

Apr 2, 2013
Do you have problems reading? I said right at the beginning of my post that I wasn't defending dolphin browser for spywareing and I don't even use that crap, read please... Also, my paragraph was not discussing what dolphin can or cannot do with its policy, I said collecting URLs and what you visit is wrong, which is actual personal information. What my post was about is the people complaining about an app collecting device specifications and calling it personal information, when in fact, it isn't and never will be. What dolphin's policy says or not says has nothing to do with what I posted. You do realize that an admin knowing your IP address can cause more stuff (lets not call it damage) than an app querying for what android version you are running and what resolution your phone uses? Performance specifics was not my concern either, I'm talking about personal information that can do damage, not generic stuff like country, OS, cpu speed and things that don't relate to the person in any way to determine lifestyle or specific preferences or link you to a specific issue. Like I said at the end, his concern was there, but the point was the incorrect one. Complain about actual personal tracking/spying, not analytics. Analytics is everywhere, and people complaining about it are naive if they think the only things that collect such information are apps...

Browsers are supposed to not leak personal data ;D This is kind of like complaining about steam collecting your computer specifications for their survey and calling it "personal" information leak, just because they know what clock speed your processor is running at, or the video card you have. I honestly don't understand how that can be used to identify you on a personal level.

No what we are saying is that dolphin is phoning home websites we visit maybe even password or user names. Ip address and our contact list and much more.

They are located on China so I'm sure their laws late laxed. They are phoning home more personal data then most

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

b00b

Oct 24, 2010
Although I don't defend dolphin browser and its crappy spyware (i dont use it anymore), you need to understand that country code and carrier's MCC and MNC are not personal information. Device resolution isn't either. Device specs aren't personal information whatsoever. Honestly, I don't even understand why you would be pissed if they take your screen resolution number. However, information in the OP is actual personal information and is a matter of concern, but not what you posted. Nearly every website sees your user agent, operating system, IP address, your country code and all that browser related crap that sometimes includes resolution, some even store it, and put a cookie in your computer for when you come back. So, if you are bothered by it, just cancel your internet provider and live out of the internet. Otherwise, its a bit hypocritical to bash taking device specs on apps but not websites. Even a crapton of free apps on the play store include google ads that you can't even see, its part of analytics.

Also, a lot of the revenue in browsers come from search royalties, firefox makes a lot of money with people using the embedded search like google, bing, yahoo etc. I'd say dolphin also makes money when people search stuff right from the browser nav bar via google or any other provider.

Obviously you didnt read my post as well as you claim to have or you did and decided to cherry pick and twist my post to make me appear to not know what privacy detail i should really care about.

My post was on the right path and I was actually complaining about and i will quote my own post -

"apart from the infos mentioned there were 4 other sets of longish numbers that looked hashed/salted info and therefore encrypted, so i/we cant know what was being sent and ask them why they need that info!"

So if you can read properly you will realise that my gripe was about the above and i will quote my own post again -

"siphoning off to their servers, our internet usage and other private data, they are just now very clever at doing so i.e. encrypted it and hiding the codes responsible for this deep within their programming code, so we dont see or recognize it"

So to summarize. i wasnt complaining solely about my country code and carrier's MCC and MNC being sent to dolphin I was trying to make the point that - my country code and carrier's MCC and MNC plus (as in together with) the other encrypted stuff gives dolphin and other browers and app that do the same, all they need to collate a mountain of privacy info about their users and that plainly dis-speakable!

Anyway mate - What i concluded from your pointless post is that you are most likely a dolphin employee!

Last edited:

aminaked

Oct 28, 2011
Redwood City, California
flowingwoo.com
Since dolphin is now up to version 10.x.x.x is this still valid as op stated that after version 7 the webzines is no longer being transmitted.....

Have I missed something?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=48564902&postcount=441

Do you have problems reading? I said right at the beginning of my post that I wasn't defending dolphin browser for spywareing and I don't even use that crap, read please...

You are all worked up about something and for some reason. I was just pointing out some things. Wise up.

Schokonuss

Oct 27, 2013
Forst
I want to stick this into my hosts but can't mount system as r/w. How to do this? I have tried 3 different root file managers and couldn't find such an option. I know Root Explorer can do this but I am satisfied with my other ones and don't want to pay money just for mounting system as r/w

Please help me :/

Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app

rogier666

Jan 27, 2011
androidblog.site666.info
I want to stick this into my hosts but can't mount system as r/w. How to do this? I have tried 3 different root file managers and couldn't find such an option. I know Root Explorer can do this but I am satisfied with my other ones and don't want to pay money just for mounting system as r/w

Please help me :/

Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app

Get X-plore and do like in the screenshot:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-27-00-07-31.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-27-00-07-31.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 485
Reactions: Schokonuss

PresidentMcCain

Jun 30, 2011
Use a different browser.

Kitkat users have no choice other than Firefox, Dolphin or UC Browser; everything else gets the super laggy Chromium WebView or Chrome.

Firefox, while using its own engine, isn't nearly as fast as the 4.3 AOSP Browser; Dolphin with Jetpack gets very close. Chrome / Chromium WebView = lag galore.

The lag is especially noticeable pinch zooming and panning on Desktop web pages, whereas the lag was non-existent on an older phone with AOSP Browser on the same web pages.

Nic2215

Jan 26, 2014
Kitkat users have no choice other than Firefox, Dolphin or UC Browser; everything else gets the super laggy Chromium WebView or Chrome.

Firefox, while using its own engine, isn't nearly as fast as the 4.3 AOSP Browser; Dolphin with Jetpack gets very close. Chrome / Chromium WebView = lag galore.

The lag is especially noticeable pinch zooming and panning on Desktop web pages, whereas the lag was non-existent on an older phone with AOSP Browser on the same web pages.

One should try naked browser. I used appops it doesn't collect your location or other information.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

RoyJ

Apr 23, 2012
If you're not on stock ROM (4.4+), most come with AOSP browser baked in. Just flash a minimal gapps package that won't replace MMS, browser, etc

PresidentMcCain

Jun 30, 2011
One should try naked browser. I used appops it doesn't collect your location or other information.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Except Naked Browser is also subject to the ****ty Chromium WebView present in Kitkat:
Description
PLEASE READ
1)Uses a minimal user interface to conserve resources. If you do not like the screenshots or do not want to learn a new interface then do not install it.
2)If you do not like the app name or icon then do not install it.
3)TIPS section below has important info.
An Android web browser
TRUST: Right permissions with no spying.
SPEED: No bloat with focus on efficiency.
GOOGLE, FIX ANDROID WEBVIEW!
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=62293
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fevdev.nakedbrowser&hl=en

matraca

Oct 27, 2013
Hi guys, I am very concerned about privacy that my girl thinks I am paranoid and a tin hat wearer, I was using tint browser but sometimes I get force closes when clicking links. What do you think about lightning browser, is it safe?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If it weren't for things like this, I'd still be a fan of Dolphin Browser.

Ever since the 'webzine' 'feature' came out (in version 6), this app forwards the URL of:
    :mad: Every link you click.
    :mad: Every search you enter.
    :mad: Every page you load.

To: http://en.mywebzines.com/v3/columns?u=(URLencodedURL)&t=(TIMESTAMP)

This includes:
    :mad: SSL URLs.
    :mad: QUERY_STRINGS.
    :mad: IP addresses on private networks and file:// urls.

In addition, when I mentioned this on http://blog.dolphin-browser.com, the comment awaited moderation for two days before being deleted. I've yet to receive an email.

Proof:
    Code:
    [[email protected]]~# ngrep -P '!' -lq -R -W single -M '(^GET|^POST|^Host:|^[^ ]ookie:)' "tcp port 80"
    interface: eth0 (10.23.1.0/255.255.255.0)
    filter: (ip or ip6) and ( tcp port 80 )
    match: (^GET|^POST|^Host:|^[^ ]ookie:)

T 10.23.1.220:60126 -> 107.20.41.53:80 [AP] GET /v3/columns?u=http%3A%2F%2F10.23.1.254%2F&t=1319574537635 HTTP/1.1!!Authorization: cd7f573ec9e6e865a28aaab7a1793796!!Accept-Encoding: gzip!!Host: en.mywebzines.com!!Connection: Keep-Alive!!!!

(less spammy proof)
     [G] www.google.com:80/search?q=wut
     [G] en.mywebzines.com:80/v3/columns?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dwut&t=1319574984926
     [G] en.mywebzines.com:80/v3/columns?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dwhat%2Bis%2Bthis%2Bi%2Bdont%2Beven&t=1319575011872
     [G] en.mywebzines.com:80/v3/columns?u=file%3A%2F%2Fsdcard%2Fdata%2Fhome.html&t=1319575109160

Stick this in your /system/etc/hosts to make the Orwellian nightmare stop. This will break webzine 'functionality', and is only possible on rooted phones:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1 en.mywebzines.com mywebzines.com

Alternatively, here is how to remove this via APKTool:
    Code:
    * apktool d mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser-1.apk
    * apply the this patch to smali/mobi/mgeek/TunnyBrowser/WebViewCallbackHandler.smali

#####
    --- orig-7.0/smali/mobi/mgeek/TunnyBrowser/WebViewCallbackHandler.smali 2011-10-22 11:41:43.000000000 +0000
    +++ mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser-7/smali/mobi/mgeek/TunnyBrowser/WebViewCallbackHandler.smali        2011-10-22 11:40:18.000000000 +0000
    @@ -2189,7 +2189,7 @@

.line 576
         :cond_2
    -    invoke-direct {p0, p1, v0}, Lmobi/mgeek/TunnyBrowser/WebViewCallbackHandler;->a(Lcom/dolphin/browser/core/IWebView;Ljava/lang/String;)V
    +#    invoke-direct {p0, p1, v0}, Lmobi/mgeek/TunnyBrowser/WebViewCallbackHandler;->a(Lcom/dolphin/browser/core/IWebView;Ljava/lang/String;)V

goto :goto_0
     .end method
    #####

I would attach an .apk of dolphin cleansed of it's spyware AIDS, however I'm not sure if the mods would like that. :mad:

update:
    Modified APKs posted http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=18799432&postcount=61
    update: Fiasco appears on http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...e-you-visit-to-a-remote-server-in-plain-text/
    update: Dolphin writes blog post claiming data is not retained, and that 'feature' is disabled. Latest market version. (7.0.1/id105) appears, still forwards urls
    update: Version 7.0.2 (id 106) no longer forwards urls.
    While I have no proof dolphin == mywebzines, they conveniently share the same hosting and dns providers (both domains are registered via proxy)
    Code:
    [[email protected]]~# for i in $(host -t a dolphin-browser.com|awk '{print $NF}');do host $i;done
    89.249.19.50.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ec2-50-19-249-89.compute-1.amazonaws.com.
    [[email protected]]~# for i in $(host -t a en.mywebzines.com|awk '{print $NF}');do host $i;done
    77.123.17.50.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ec2-50-17-123-77.compute-1.amazonaws.com.
    185.179.17.50.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ec2-50-17-179-185.compute-1.amazonaws.com.
    58.30.19.50.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ec2-50-19-30-58.compute-1.amazonaws.com.
    167.175.19.50.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ec2-50-19-175-167.compute-1.amazonaws.com.
    93.246.101.75.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ec2-75-101-246-93.compute-1.amazonaws.com.
    53.41.20.107.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ec2-107-20-41-53.compute-1.amazonaws.com.
    205.64.72.184.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ec2-184-72-64-205.compute-1.amazonaws.com.
    119.178.72.184.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ec2-184-72-178-119.compute-1.amazonaws.com.
    156.2.73.184.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ec2-184-73-2-156.compute-1.amazonaws.com.
    33.95.17.50.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ec2-50-17-95-33.compute-1.amazonaws.com.
    [[email protected]]~# host -t ns mywebzines.com;host -t ns dolphin-browser.com
    mywebzines.com name server ns2.dnsv5.com.
    mywebzines.com name server ns1.dnsv5.com.
    dolphin-browser.com name server ns1.dnsv4.com.
    dolphin-browser.com name server ns2.dnsv4.com.
    [[email protected]]~#
    I've had so many requests for them via pm....

7.0 cleaned: http://qfs.mobi/f40936 : Not renamed, but resigned, so the original (and all plugins and themes) will need to be uninstalled

4.0 modded: http://qfs.mobi/f40949 : Renamed, won't need to uninstall original. This one has a number of tweaks to UI behavior, and extra functionality (Custom search URL, customizable bookmarklet button, unlimited tabs) 'exit' menu option closes tab, so hold back to exit. All admob/analytics/mobosquare code removed.

(if mods -do- object, apologies ahead of time :p)
    This is old and Dolphin have explained this!
    It's no longer an issue.

Stop defending Dolphin by propagating their public relations spin.

The whole truth is that Dolphin now encrypts the data that they phone home. That does not fix the privacy issue. They made a completely incompetent and bonehead move phoning home all URLs in plain text, even https URLs which should always be encrypted as they contain sensitive information like passwords. It is true they stopped that idiocy, but you are ignoring what is really happening now.

Look at this analysis of the current version of Dolphin Browser:
    http://mobilesandbox.org/xml_report_static/?q=357932

android.permission.READ_LOGS [basically no app should have this]
    android.permission.RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED [why is your browser starting on boot?]
    android.permission.READ_CONTACTS [you want your browser to read your contacts?]
    android.permission.RECORD_AUDIO [you want your browser to record audio?]
    android/telephony/TelephonyManager;->getDeviceId [to identify you]
    getSubscriberId [to identify you]
    Execution of external commands [scary]
    Cipher(AES/ECB/PKCS5PADDING) [now they encrypt data]
    Cipher(DES/CBC/PKCS5Padding) [they learned not to send it in plain text]
    Cipher(RSA/ECB/PKCS1Padding) [encrypted so we cannot know what they collect]
    HttpPost [and phoning home]

That is not even all of the garbage brought to light by that report. Dolphin's developers should be ashamed of themselves and its users need to learn the whole truth. Look at their so-called privacy policy, for example.

If your argument is "Google spies, so what" then you need to wise up. For one, Google is a large and well-known public company that does face repercussions for violating privacy. Dolphin is...not.

Second, even if you do not care about your privacy--and you should--spying wastes battery power, bandwidth, and CPU cycles. No one needs more garbage on their device.
    Thank you for all your comments.
    We are delighted that our user community is growing to new heights daily. We continue to learn from you, our users, and will always be responsive to your comments.
    Here we promised we never stored user data. Please check here to know more details. blog.dolphin-browser.com/2011/10/27/webzine-does-not-store-user-data/

Dolphin Browser

I'm torn between cynicism and my hope that this -is- innocent, so I'll go with both in my reply.

The way you guys dealt with previous attempts at calling this to your attention - ignoring emails and outright deleting my blog comment - cast the honesty of your organization into doubt (in my mind at least, I cannot prove this part of the affair). I find myself in doubt that dolphin would have (claimed to have) taken action had this issue not appeared on major android news sites such as http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...e-you-visit-to-a-remote-server-in-plain-text/

You -say- data is not collected, but I do not have access to your server and thus cannot verify that browsing history (juicy marketing data) is not retained (this includes access_log), I only have the promise of an organisation that has not earned my trust. (And I would not trust Mozilla with this)

As you can see, people consider browsing history sensitive data, it is -not- a zero on a scale of 1-10 as stated in your blog, especially for those of us that make use of url obscurity. (HTTPS requests secure host and path, this was defeated with dolphin)

That said, while I'm pleased that you -say- steps are being taken, I can confirm that:
    version 7.0.1 (build id 105) still forwards urls like version 6-7.0.0 (id 103) have done. In addition, unlike v7.0.0(103) from getjar, it nagged me to rate it, thus I have bumped my one star security warning.

Assuming you will actually fix this:

Making this opt-in is good, provided it's opt-in and explains the security considerations clearly.

Alas, were I not so dependant on the features I added to 4.x, I'd still find myself analysing traffic with a packet sniffer and scouring smali code each time a Dolphin upgrade were made available. I would not do this for firefox or opera, as they've proven themselves to recognize browser security and privacy as Serious Business.

Since you have claimed to disable this, and have yet to actually do so, you prove the opposite with each passing minute.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone