• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[PRJ][OS]Linux and Android on HTC Diamond "NOT YET WORKING"

Search This thread

dcordes

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 20, 2007
This thread discusses Linux for HTC Diamond and HTC Raphael

User resources

To get started with android real quick use this site http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=RaphaelDonut

Further information on progress with Linux and Android and help can be found at the Raphael Linux wiki page.

Developer resources

The wiki of the htc-linux.org project has all the required uptodate research information http://www.htc-linux.org/wiki
If you want to contribute in the kernel porting project, please use this wiki.

The latest kernel code for Raphael, Diamond (and the other msm7xxxA devices) can be found in the htc-msm-2.6.27 branch of the linuxtogo.org git repository.

To view my signature, click my nickname to view the profile and then 'about me'

original post:

Hi,

Would be nice if somebody could try and test if the kaiser linux kernel boots on their diamond. Here's what you need

http://linuxtogo.org/~lgorris/kaiser-bootkit/

It has a small documentation but here's what you need to do again:

Get haret.exe, default.txt, zImage and angstrom-console on your diamond into the same folder, run haret.exe and tap run.

edit: the link above points to a website with kernel builds for the kaiser (msm7200). since diamond has msm7201A, it would be better to build directly from the android-msm-2.6.25 branch which has the halibut machine type. halibut is also an msm7x00A. there are some differences between the A and non-A msms.

google git is at
git.android.com

checkout the branch android-msm-2.6.25 ( it's most uptodate)

Last edited:

DesktopMan

May 2, 2007
I have in fact been researching this since yesterday. The vanilla Android is for 7x00A devices, and should work on Diamond without too much fuss. I'm not a Linux developer though, so I'll need some help with that part. (though I am a developer)

The Kaiser boot kit does not work. Once it's done loading the device freezes entirely. Kaiser uses 7200 though, not 7201A, and for all I know it might actually be (partly somewhat) running, but with no frame buffer.

Last edited:

someone1234

May 25, 2008
Ok who's seriously interested in getting this to work?

Whats the progress so far? Lets try to get something packaged and up for diamond.

happyguy82

Jun 21, 2008
Hi guys,

I've been trying to get Android running on my Diamond for a few days to no avail.

I've tried the Kaiser set of files and Vogue set of files. The furthest I've got is to make it display the 'Go Go Go...' message and then it hangs.

Has anyone actually got Android to run on a Diamond before?

Thanks.

DesktopMan

May 2, 2007
Vogue does not work, but might be because of HaRET, don't know.

7201A is different from 7200. I would not expect it to work. However, the vanilla kernel is for Diamond type chips, so if anyone could compile a vanilla kernel it's worth testing. HaRET might need a few modifications though.

Riel

Mar 1, 2006
Born
www.zzapps.nl
Very interesting!

This Android thing, getting it to run, what would the expectations be? Functionality, speed?

Just very curious, having once installed some linux-thingy on my magician.

toastedlogic

Apr 2, 2006
Orlando, FL
I don't have a Diamond to test on, but I suspect the dev team for the Advantage could be of help. The build they have is running ok on Advantage, the touchscreen driver even works. No phone yet (last I checked). Maybe it will also run on Diamond?

happyguy82

Jun 21, 2008
I believe it'll just be a matter of time before we get a fully functioning Android build for the HTC Diamond because I can foresee it to be a very popular platform for the Android.

If there's any modifications to the default.txt boot file that would potentially make this work I'll be happy to try it out and let you guys know the results.

adwinp

Jun 22, 2008
urandom
I guess it'd be a matter of setting up a cross compile (toolchains - chroot, binutils, gcc, glibc) environment for the ARM, compiling the kernel with the correct drivers and bootstrapping for the ARM.

Am I right? Or did I miss something?

Ingvarr

Oct 14, 2006
I guess it'd be a matter of setting up a cross compile (toolchains - chroot, binutils, gcc, glibc) environment for the ARM, compiling the kernel with the correct drivers and bootstrapping for the ARM.

Am I right? Or did I miss something?

Well, kinda. Where do you intend to get "correct drivers" for Diamond ;)
Its not that easy, since HTC doesnt provide 'em ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't understand, why haret could not use the framebuffer !? because i can change the framebuffer on my own hand

Code:
     pfh VRAM 480*1 0x0099

and the first line is blue
    Android 2.0 squashfs reporting - DIAM300:
    *- Bluetooth not working.
    *- WiFi not working.
    *- Telephone not working. (No signal)
    *- System is much slow.
    *- Buttons not recognized (apart the upper button) and mapped differently than other builds.
    I packed the actual XDAndroid release with the actual Kernel, rootfs and initrd preconfigured for diamond and including the cab of GEN.Y Dualboot to send it to a friend to run it out of the box, no big work, but I thought I could share it with you too.

Here: http://depositfiles.com/files/eo9pdi8yk

This is no work by me

GEN.Y Dualboot is made by yozgatg
    XDAndroid is made by the XDAndroid team

please support their work

best regards