• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[PRJ][OS]Linux and Android on HTC Diamond "NOT YET WORKING"

Search This thread

IceBone

Mar 4, 2009
Sounds good, can't wait til it's integrated into the zImage (or however it works). What about battery life in pure Linux? Is it an issue there as well or is it only in Android?

chemical1979

Jul 14, 2008
Also try various wifi configuration on windows mobile:
I think you have to be either connected or searching WiFi (and not idling disconnected, it disables wifi most of the time).
If connected you also might have to set power mode to high performance, and maybe even do some download meanwhile.
I've done my tries with wifi in search mode. (on my WM rom, wifi logo is moving, while most of the time it's red when no search nor connection)
Also as soon as you get those message, it will fail, there is no need to wait for the end of this. But be careful, there are a lot of other errors that might happen, which are normals (I made it quick and really dirty)

If it still doesn't work, look at the startup.txt, there is a comment to slow down the SD controler, try it, set 150000 Hz as frequency, this might help. If this actually helps, try increasing frequency until it won't work, and report the last working frequency. See http://git.linuxtogo.org/?p=groups/...90ed051bb0bab540;hb=refs/heads/htc-msm-2.6.27 around line 120 to know which frequencies are supported, you can set it higher than the value, it will fallback to the nearest lowest frequency available.

I found that f=1,5MHz solved the error loop of sdio writes, now I'm on a "htcraphael" login prompt waiting for a login with an Angstrom-ASCII Art above.

The last lines above the login prompt are:

Code:
Complete wifi scan:
lo Interface doesn't support scanning.
dummy0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
rmnet0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
rmnet1 Interface doesn't support scanning.
rmnet2 Interface doesn't support scanning.
usb0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

SSID-only wifi scan:
BT scan:
Scanning ...

I would guess there is the wlan-interface missing, so something else doesn't work as expected.

No android. Guess I have to enable that keyboard with the blue dot again, to login as root and do some stuff?

ElCondor

Retired News Writer
Mar 14, 2009
Amsterdam
I found that f=1,5MHz solved the error loop of sdio writes, now I'm on a "htcraphael" login prompt waiting for a login with an Angstrom-ASCII Art above.

The last lines above the login prompt are:

Code:
Complete wifi scan:

SSID-only wifi scan:
BT scan:
Scanning ...

I would guess there is the wlan-interface missing, so something else doesn't work as expected.

No android. Guess I have to enable that keyboard with the blue dot again, to login as root and do some stuff?
I am finally able to get to this. First I got the known loop of errors, but I tried it another time, and know it works (without setting the frequency)
What's the login pass? I tried 'root' but without any succes.

Last edited:

Nakebod

Jul 26, 2008
Nijmegen
Ok, tried some more, I got a little bit further then before,
WIFI connected in WM, BT enabled, and I got the "famous" error :+

msmsdcc_data_err: blksz 4, blocks 1
mmc0: Data CRC Error
msmsdcc_data_err: opcode 0x000000035

w112521: Error_sdio write failed (-84)

After the hints from chemical1979 I've added the following parameter in the startup.txt:
msm_sdcc.msmsdcc_fmax=1500000

WIFI
After the boot (But it doesn't load Android's GUI, only the console), I can see it find at least 1 network (Probably more, text scrolls to fast), I'm able to see the neighbors SSID, and below this, I see:

SSID-only wifi scan:
BT scan:
Scanning...
[ Angstrom ascii logo ]
htcraphael login: _

But without keyboard, I can't login, neither can I ping my device.

BT
Searching for new devices from my Windows PC, it is able to find "htcraphael". I can't connect to it, probably because it needs a keypair.

Last edited:

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
Could you guys be kind enough to tell me How do you start the initramfs, do I change the file name to initramfs.gz ?

rename the initramfs to initrd.gz and rename the cpio.gz to zImage or edit your default/startup.txt and change "initrd.gz" to "initramfs" and "zImage" to cpio.gz

Code:
set RAMSIZE 0x08000000
Set ramaddr 0x10000000
set MTYPE 2040
set KERNEL zImage
set initrd initrd.gz
to
Code:
set RAMSIZE 0x08000000
Set ramaddr 0x10000000
set MTYPE 2040
set KERNEL cpio.gz
set initrd initramfs

Should work I think(ignore mtype, it's for my diam500 of course).

Is there no module versioning support in these kernels/.config? Possible to download a pre-compiled module and load it on any machine etc ....

Last edited:

Nakebod

Jul 26, 2008
Nijmegen
For the record, the kernel parameter msm_sdcc.msmsdcc_fmax takes the argument in Hz, so only this works as expected:

msm_sdcc.msmsdcc_fmax=1500000

Strange, it worked with 1,5Mhz in it :confused:
Anyway, if it is supposed to contain 1500000, I'll edit my message to prevent confusion.

Sometimes the result varies from boot to boot :+
Now I got:
Complete wifi scan:

SSID-only wifi scan:
BT scan:
Scanning ...
<hardware addess> computername

And again no Android GUI, so I can't really test if BT works, except it can be detected from my computer.

Edit, is there an easier way for the logs/debug? Anyway, I caught some messages:

Fatal error could not open /lib/.. * ... /modules.dep
Can not load firmware file :)?)
Cannot find BTS file /lib/firmware/TIInit_5.3.53.bts

Probably not the exact messages, but it could be a hint to something.

Last edited:

ElCondor

Retired News Writer
Mar 14, 2009
Amsterdam
Ok, tried...
WIFI
After the boot (But it doesn't load Android's GUI, only the console), I can see it find at least 1 network (Probably more, text scrolls to fast), I'm able to see the neighbors SSID, and below this, I see:

SSID-only wifi scan:
BT scan:
Scanning...
[ Angstrom ascii logo ]
htcraphael login: _

But without keyboard, I can't login, neither can I ping my device.

BT
Searching for new devices from my Windows PC, it is able to find "htcraphael". I can't connect to it, probably because it needs a keypair.

You can do this by setting msmvkeyb_toggle=on
But what login pass should you use then? the wpa key?
Guys, the frequency isn't important. The only config I made is enabling the keyboard, which is not related to any wifi actions. After 3 or 4 boots, it worked.
Edit: I tried the network name (SpeedTouchC772BE) for the htcraphael login. After that, I have to type in the password. I tried to type the wpa key but if I type something, it doesn't appear. So you can't see what you're typing.

Last edited:

chemical1979

Jul 14, 2008
You can do this by setting msmvkeyb_toggle=on
But what login pass should you use then? the wpa key?
Guys, the frequency isn't important. The only config I made is enabling the keyboard, which is not related to any wifi actions. After 3 or 4 boots, it worked.
Edit: I tried the network name (SpeedTouchC772BE) for the htcraphael login. After that, I have to type in the password. I tried to type the wpa key but if I type something, it doesn't appear. So you can't see what you're typing.

As phhusson post states, the root password is empty. If you enable the msmvkeyb_toggle (hide/on) you can use "root" on the login prompt, and after enter you're on the root prompt.

However, as I already guessed in my last post, something is missing here. ifconfig only lists lo and usb0 as network interfaces, there is no wlan0 or sth.

I'm checking dmesg output right now to find a clue..

phhusson

Recognized Developer
Jul 23, 2009
Paris
It seems i haven't been clear enough:

First thing: THIS IS ONLY A DEMO ! It will only scan networks/computers, no easy way to connect, no android thing easier. Don't bother trying this kernel with android or whatever, WiFi support is mostly in the initramfs.

Second: there is no password (or empty one if you want to connect through ssh), user is root.

About the 1.5Mhz frequency and CRC errors thing, have you tried many times with/without it and are able to confirm this changes something ?
The only times this occurs to me, is because the wifi chip wasn't totally powered on Windows Mobile.

For the absence of wlanX device, i actually have no clue ...
Maybe post the result of dmesg and/or /var/log/message*
You can also try running it by hand: sh /etc/rc5.d/S25* start

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
i tried the 2 files but my terminal keeps looping "waiting for SD card"

any ideas?

PS. Im using a DIAM500 with the ZIMAGE u posted, hope im doing it right, cuz when i go back to mr.pippy's old one it boots fine....not sure what im doing wrong

I've had a few PM's so I'm just attaching my "DIAM500 Startup.txt/default.txt" <- a thread search should be ez mode for anyone(Just did a thread search for raph500 and scanned a thread saying "newest zimage working is ####" someone was asking the other day, thread may be too long to read the whole thing but ... if more users used more brains there would be a lot less posts saying "I can't find posts on X issue". Don't mean to make an example of anyone or make people feel uncomfortable, just want to throw out what a lot of people are already thinking). I had a bunch of trouble with my default.txt and I kept replacing it and starting over with a fresh copy but still something kept screwing up, I think it was the new mtype for the diam500, I tested this with a few of the newer kernels and it works fine(wifi even with the 1 posted the other day).

Attachments

• STARTUP.TXT
    1.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

chemical1979

Jul 14, 2008
It seems i haven't been clear enough:

First thing: THIS IS ONLY A DEMO !
You can also try running it by hand: sh /etc/rc5.d/S25* start

Ah, that was the point I was looking for. And yes, I know this is only a demo and won't boot into android or something else, but I was eager to get it to work on my DIAM300. ;-)

The output of /etc/rc5.d/S25Wifi-chip start:
Code:
..Lots of errors of loading already loaded modules..
trout_wifi_power: 1
msm_gpio_set_function(33,7)
msm_gpio_set_function(34,7)
msm_gpio_set_function(35,7)
msm_gpio_set_function(36,7)
msm_gpio_set_function(37,7)
msm_gpio_set_function(38,4)
msm_gpio_set_function(1d,3)
htc_pwrsink_set:STUB!
trout_wifi_set_carddetect: 1
mmc0: card_present 1
trout_wifi_set_carddetect: 0
mmc0: card_present 0
mmc0: Slot status change detected (1 -> 0)
mkdir: cannot create directory '/lib/firmware': File exists
mmc0: Slot status change detected (0 -> 1)
ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
trout_wifi_set_carddetect: 0
mmc0: card_present 0
mmc0: Slot status change detected (1 -> 0)
msm_nand_read_oob 2500000 c11b3000 800 00000000 0
status: c03030 ff000a c02030 ff0009 c01020 ff0000 c00020 ff0000
msm_nand_read_oob 2500000 800 0 failed -74, corrected 0
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
752+0 records in
752+0 records out
mmc0: Slot status change detected (0 -> 1)
trout_wifi_power: 1
msm_gpio_set_function(33, 7)
msm_gpio_set_function: could not set alt func 51 => 1
msm_gpio_set_function(34,7)
msm_gpio_set_function(35,7)
msm_gpio_set_function(36,7)
msm_gpio_set_function(37,7)
msm_gpio_set_function(38,4)
msm_gpio_set_function(1d,3)
htc_pwrsink_set:STUB!

Hmm....

GuruIPB

Oct 1, 2009
Needs help fast

When i about to "git checkout -b htc-msm-2.6.25 origin/htc-msm-2.6.25"

Comes this up: error: You have local changes to 'net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_ECN.c'; cannot switch branches.

NEEDS HELP NOW

stefand

Oct 7, 2008
When i about to "git checkout -b htc-msm-2.6.25 origin/htc-msm-2.6.25"

Comes this up: error: You have local changes to 'net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_ECN.c'; cannot switch branches.

NEEDS HELP NOW

@GuruIPB : First say hello, and be polite, only one post and it's an urgent request !!!

:) at moderator

@GuruIPB: Your talking about htc-msm-2.6.25 while all the current development for diam & raph in this thread is "htc-msm-2.6.27"

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
:) at moderator

@GuruIPB: Your talking about htc-msm-2.6.25 while all the current development for diam & raph in this thread is "htc-msm-2.6.27"

He's following the howto off the wiki. He could be following the howto off connect and still be asking the same question ... The new sources are listed on the new htc-wiki in the first post in this thread. If you want to compile using new sources you're going to need to use a little common sense and have a little *nix know how. At least enough to know the difference between kernel version #'s and then enough to start tracking down the sources on the highest/biggest kernel version #. Too bad our git doesn't have kernel-sources-latest-raph/diam, it would keep the howto's up-to-date without anyone needing to edit them.

Last edited:

peramikic

Nov 12, 2008
Unknown boot option

Nice preformance on the kernel. I do still have problem of not getting any data connection established. But this kernel gives me unknown boot option for following parameters: lcd.density, ppp.apn, ppp.username, ppp.password and clock-7x00.a11, Are these not supported in this kernel? I'm using the raph 09092009 android build

Here is my settings.txt for RAPH110(FUZE)

set mtype 1910
set kernel zImage
set initrd initrd.gz
set ramsize 0x6000000
set ramaddr 0x10000000
set cmdline "root=/dev/ram0 init=/init console=tty0 mem=76M msmsdcc_id=3 imgdevname=/dev/mmcblk0p1 imgdevnum=1 imgdir=/ msmts_calib=0x6D.0x5D.0x340.0x375 msmvkeyb_toggle=off lcd.density=192 ppp.apn=wap.cingular [email protected] ppp.password=CINGULAR1 clock-7x00.a11=528"
boot

Thanks.

not sure if this will help raphael users, but i compiled the latest kernel source using the raphael config. Does someone want to test it and see if it makes a difference?

The image attached is not actually a zip file so you can rename to just zImage or whatever your startup file wants and use it.

edit: this image doesnt have the lastest source update from cr2 (the msm:cleanups), which raphael users might benefit from

P

pongothemagnificent

If you dont want your phone to get hot reboot to windows mobile, remember that this OS was not meant for this phone, so you should be happy that is working to a certain extent, even tho it gets your phone hot, stop whyning about stuff that's STILL IN PROGRESS.

cheers
rafyvitto

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't understand, why haret could not use the framebuffer !? because i can change the framebuffer on my own hand

Code:
     pfh VRAM 480*1 0x0099

and the first line is blue
    Android 2.0 squashfs reporting - DIAM300:
    *- Bluetooth not working.
    *- WiFi not working.
    *- Telephone not working. (No signal)
    *- System is much slow.
    *- Buttons not recognized (apart the upper button) and mapped differently than other builds.
    I packed the actual XDAndroid release with the actual Kernel, rootfs and initrd preconfigured for diamond and including the cab of GEN.Y Dualboot to send it to a friend to run it out of the box, no big work, but I thought I could share it with you too.

Here: http://depositfiles.com/files/eo9pdi8yk

This is no work by me

GEN.Y Dualboot is made by yozgatg
    XDAndroid is made by the XDAndroid team

please support their work

best regards