Problem doing VPN

Search This thread
Mar 12, 2007
Hi all

I've setup VPn tunnels to my office on my S9+. I've setup a PPTP from the built in client and IPsec and SSL from the Fortinet Client and none of them are working.
I'm sure that authentications are correct as I use same settings on my laptop running windows 10 and on a iPhone 7 plus.
Anyone with the same problem?

jpbl1976

This might not help you exactly but there seems to be an issue with the stock ROM and VPNs. Adguard, which blocks ads via VPN, was also having the same issue and the devs have reported it to Samsung from what I understand. The fix will probably come during a later update since VPN issues are a bigndeal, especially for people who need to use their devices in a corporate environment.

Reactions: tasmaniandevil69

afh3

Apr 30, 2013
My VPNs include one PPTP and one IPSec/PSK, and they both connect without issues on four different Verizon S9+ phones.

Nine9•

Oct 10, 2017
Hi all

I've setup VPn tunnels to my office on my S9+. I've setup a PPTP from the built in client and IPsec and SSL from the Fortinet Client and none of them are working.
I'm sure that authentications are correct as I use same settings on my laptop running windows 10 and on a iPhone 7 plus.
Anyone with the same problem?

Same here, PPTP not working on my s9+. But IPSec/PSK working (slow speed)

QAM

Jun 3, 2008
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
This might not help you exactly but there seems to be an issue with the stock ROM and VPNs. Adguard, which blocks ads via VPN, was also having the same issue and the devs have reported it to Samsung from what I understand. The fix will probably come during a later update since VPN issues are a bigndeal, especially for people who need to use their devices in a corporate environment.

Hola
I just wanted to give you a heads up that Adguard dev's have figured out a temporary workaround to make the their VPN ad blocking features stick. You'll need to check their forums for the actual setting (or use their nightly release which has the setting enabled by default). I have this setting enabled and now I am able to browse ad free for the most part without issues.

Mar 12, 2007
I've just update the phone and it's now working yet. Besides that the problem is even worst because I can't even connect VPNs on my laptop if using the phone as hotspot.
I've reported to Samsung and I'm waiting for a call and a remote assistence but if I can get a fix in a few days the phone will be returned because this is a big issue for my work.

afh3

Apr 30, 2013
I've just update the phone and it's now working yet. Besides that the problem is even worst because I can't even connect VPNs on my laptop if using the phone as hotspot.
I've reported to Samsung and I'm waiting for a call and a remote assistence but if I can get a fix in a few days the phone will be returned because this is a big issue for my work.

I used this functionality fairly frequently with my (Verizon) S8+.

I've just completed about an hour of testing with my (Verizon) S9+.

I tried the USB tether, the Bluetooth tether, and the Hotspot networking on the phone. In each case I established a network connection to the public Internet without issue.

The VPN connections from my Windows 10 system, however - using that S9+ connection - all fail now with one exception.

The PPTP, L2TP/PSK and IKEv2 connections (that all work[ed] with my S8+) will not connect using my S9+.

The one exception is the Microsoft-specific SSTP variant, which tunnels over port-443. That one will connect with the S9+ in all three networking scenarios - USB, bluetooth and Hotspot WiFi.

This seems to indicate that the new phone does not pass TCP port 1723 and/or GRE 47 (PPTP) and UDP ports 500 and/or 4500 (L2TP and IKEv2) through it's network tethering and the WiFi connections.

Bummer.

At least I can still use SSTP to get to my server resources - which is 90% of my VPN needs anyway - but the other connections are dead now.

Connections FROM the phone, using it's built-in PPTP and L2TP profiles to host networks, continue to work properly on the S9+ -- as they did on the S8+.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2007
I used this functionality fairly frequently with my (Verizon) S8+.

I've just completed about an hour of testing with my (Verizon) S9+.

I tried the USB tether, the Bluetooth tether, and the Hotspot networking on the phone. In each case I established a network connection to the public Internet without issue.

The VPN connections from my Windows 10 system, however - using that S9+ connection - all fail now with one exception.

The PPTP, L2TP/PSK and IKEv2 connections (that all work[ed] with my S8+) will not connect using my S9+.

The one exception is the Microsoft-specific SSTP variant, which tunnels over port-443. That one will connect with the S9+ in all three networking scenarios - USB, bluetooth and Hotspot WiFi.

This seems to indicate that the new phone does not pass TCP port 1723 and/or GRE 47 (PPTP) and UDP ports 500 and/or 4500 (L2TP and IKEv2) through it's network tethering and the WiFi connections.

Bummer.

At least I can still use SSTP to get to my server resources - which is 90% of my VPN needs anyway - but the other connections are dead now.

Connections FROM the phone, using it's built-in PPTP and L2TP profiles to host networks, continue to work properly on the S9+ -- as they did on the S8+.

That is the Snapdragon version? Does it have a special ROM from Verizon or is the stock Samsung?
Maybe that is the difference

afh3

Apr 30, 2013
That is the Snapdragon version? Does it have a special ROM from Verizon or is the stock Samsung?
Maybe that is the difference

Stock Verizon (SD845 8.0) S9+ compared with a stock Verizon (SD835 7.0) S8+. I suppose the difference might be explained by going from Android 7 to Android 8, but I have no way of testing that hypothesis at this time.

(The last phone I modified was a 2013 Motorola RAZR. I've subsequently switched to using my phones as phones, rather than as a hobby. ) :D

If someone has a different experience with employing a networked platform's VPN while using a similar phone in a tethered or hotspot configuration, it would interesting to know.

My own successes with the phone's built-in VPN (PPTP and L2TP) - as separate from the scenario described above -
apparently differ from those of others in this thread for reasons I cannot explain.

Last edited:

julianskipworth

Apr 8, 2018
I'm in the same boat - a new S9 and can't connect to my work VPN when using the phone as a hotspot. It works fine on S8 and Iphones. Does anyone know how to fix this? This is a critical issue for me as I work remotely quite a bit.

Mar 12, 2007
I'm in the same boat - a new S9 and can't connect to my work VPN when using the phone as a hotspot. It works fine on S8 and Iphones. Does anyone know how to fix this? This is a critical issue for me as I work remotely quite a bit.

I think there is no fix yet. I had someone from Samsung support connected to my S9 last Tuesday and they could not find anything so they escalated the problem inside Samsung but until now no further news.

SomerSide

Aug 11, 2016
NY
Check out this Anta NET reviews about vpn china iphone services. There you will find the detailed description with the main functions of each vpn + the price information. Personally I use Pure vpn service on my iphone and have no problem.

Dock of the Bay

Mar 22, 2018
My S9 unlocked (SD) can connect to my L2TP/Ipsec VPN but disconnects within a minute or so (even if the connection is under constant use.) I have another Anrdoid 7 device (and a Windows 10 laptop) that has no problem with the same VPN/router/WiFi combination and can stay connected for hours. I don't know how to escalate this with Samsung in a way where they just don't blame my other hardware.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Authorize the vpn application as Admin from settings

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

Authorize the VPN application as Admin from security settings
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone