Problem with installing a custom recovery (custom binary blocked by OEM lock)

Search This thread

DaHansi

Mar 23, 2016
I have bought a used Samsung S10e (SM-G970F/DS) it came with Android 12 and it was reseted.
My goal is to install iodeOS. Even if the iodeOS website says "Update the stock firmware to the latest" I considered the instructions from LineageOS and installed the latest Android 11 version, following this (https://iode.tech/en/iodeos-installation/#1629185391421-4cf1f5c8-d900) uninstall instructions.
After Android 11 was installed I enabled the developer options. OEM-Unlock was not available. Therefore I followed these instructions (https://www.xda-developers.com/fix-...y-s9-samsung-galaxy-s8-samsung-galaxy-note-8/) and the OEM-Unlock was available again.
Now it seemed that everything is ready to install iodeOS or LineageOS. Therefore I followed this instructions (https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/beyond0lte/install). It worked fine until "Installing a cutom recovery using heimdall"
after the "heimdall flash --RECOVERY <recovery_filename>.img --no-reboot" command the S10e shows a bar which is filled from the left to the right and then it shows "Custom Binary (RECOVERY) Blocked By OEM Lock"
Now I have no clue what to do :-(
I would be glad for any help.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
You need to unlock the bootloader. You've toggled the OEM Unlocking switch, so unlocking the bootloader is the next step.

1. Make sure you have the Samsung USB drivers installed on your PC.
  2. Turn off your device.
  3. While holding the Bixby and Volume Down buttons, connect your phone to your PC.
  4. The device should start in Download Mode. Hold down Volume Up until you get a warning about unlocking the bootloader. Unlocking the bootloader will wipe your data. Click Volume Up to confirm.
  5. Your device will wipe data, then reboot. At this point, you can reboot to download mode and flash a custom recovery using Odin or Heimdall.

Reactions: montournevis

DaHansi

Mar 23, 2016
Thanks a lot for all your help!

The problem was I entered the download mode by the adb command "adb reboot-bootloader" and this mode seems to be different to the one which can be accessed by pressing the keys.

Now everything worked fine :)

Reactions: okij

wavedevice

May 23, 2022
I have exactly the same problem here:

SM-A205G with OEM Unlock enabled
There is no unlock bootloader in the bootloader no option anymore

at least in the bootloder of this edition
And I suppose that if it is the bootloader that flashes everything, it is COMPLETELLY LOCKED, could be jailbroken by some new method, but until them... no option :sad:
You need to unlock the bootloader. You've toggled the OEM Unlocking switch, so unlocking the bootloader is the next step.

2. Turn off your device.
  3. While holding the Bixby and Volume Down buttons, connect your phone to your PC.
  4. The device should start in Download Mode. Hold down Volume Up until you get a warning about unlocking the bootloader. Unlocking the bootloader will wipe your data. Click Volume Up to confirm.
  5. Your device will wipe data, then reboot. At this point, you can reboot to download mode and flash a custom recovery using Odin or Heimdall.

wavedevice

May 23, 2022
It seems that this <confirm> option in the bootloader is being removed by samsung, so... even if unlock oem is enabled... it will not work...
I can only reach the bootloader by going to recovery mode them selecting reboot bootloader, or by adb reboot bootloader, but it boots directly in download mode without the option to long-press volume up key

A flasher that doesn't flashes doesn't makes sense. Maybe samsung have hidden something new in there?...

Last edited:

wavedevice

May 23, 2022
Ok. I've found the solution
1 - Power the phone off
2 - Hold both volume up and down
3 - PLUG THE USB BUTTON WHILE YOU HOLD BOTH these buttons
4 - NO NEED TO PRESS POWER BUTTON

I guess this will work for all phones that don't have the option to start with power+down
Yes. A flasher that does not flash don't exists.
Good luck ! \o/

source:

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Ok. I've found the solution
1 - Power the phone off
2 - Hold both volume up and down
3 - PLUG THE USB BUTTON WHILE YOU HOLD BOTH these buttons
4 - NO NEED TO PRESS POWER BUTTON

I guess this will work for all phones that don't have the option to start with power+down
Yes. A flasher that does not flash don't exists.
Good luck ! \o/

source:
Yes, you don't unlock the bootloader VIA the bootloader in Samsung phones.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2. Turn off your device.
    Thanks a lot for all your help!

The problem was I entered the download mode by the adb command "adb reboot-bootloader" and this mode seems to be different to the one which can be accessed by pressing the keys.

Now everything worked fine :)