Problem with motherboard of my note 4 ...any help/suggest please!!!

Search This thread

helen2

May 19, 2014
I have still a note 4 since 2014 (so will be c.a 7 years). I never put android 6 because i knew that (maybe) the motherboard would burn and i just put first kitkat and then lollipop. I think my mistake was to use the fast charger (I got one just one r two month ango before I was recharging the handy with a "normal" recharge) and now i have many problems (works very poorly, is slow, freezes but turns on)All the applications open slowly, If I take picturessometimes everything freezes I have to avoid / put the battery back.When I charge at 100% the light stays red and does not switch to green, sometimes it starts up in download mode, I can't go into recovery mode, I have to remove the battery and then put it back and force restart. These are some of the problems...And now the questions arrives...
1)where could I buy a note 4 motherboard that is sure to work (and pay cheaper)?I know Aliexpress but olso that there are different shops (so different garatee ensure the motherboard is working or not sim lock)
2)do you think I can still avoid changing the motherboard and put a piece of card on his eMMC and solve every problem at 100%?

Any help/slutin will be apreciated

Thank's
Helen

Unidave199

Nov 18, 2013
Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Hi Hellen,

I am no developer but maybe can help out a little. SO let em see if I can understand..

1. You are still running Lollipop
2. The phone works but is super buggy and slow.
3. You tried a fast charger on the phone when this all started.

I would tend to think that if it was a motherboard problem, the phone just would not power on, but if you say the problems started exactly when you used the fast charger, then it is too much of a coincidence to ignore.

Have you tried to charge using the 'normal' charger and see if that helps? It may be the voltage settings is off and that causes problems.

I think it is fairly 'easy' to replace a motherboard... and if you check Ebay there are many that can be sold for parts. It gets a little involved to unscrew and unclip everying to swap the motherboard... I had tried it with an old EVO supersonic and was a bit of a nightmare but if you are good with this stuff and have the right size equipment, then is pretty easy to do.

Let me know how it goes!

Dave

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    A fast charger won't damage the phone.
    The phone is slow but functional, right?
    I take Kitkat over lollipop anyday but regardless it reload time. The OS is buggered up, maybe a virus or rootkit.
    If you can easily reflash that rom do so, or do a factory reset otherwise.
    If the issue persists after a factory reset, it should be reflashed.

I don't think the mobo is blown... not yet.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    I agree the fast charger shouldnt damage the phone, but didnt know if it was a cheaply made one and maybe caused a short on the MB of some kind.

That is a very good call. a system restore or even factory reset may be all that is needed.
    A vital system apk, file, whatever in OS image may have become corrupted. Flash memory doesn't retain its data indefinitely. A factory reset would restore it. The same thing can happen to that data as well so if all fails, reflash it.
    At that point you can then accurately assess if there's been hardware damage or not.

Pre-Pie OS's can be infected with a rootkit that requires a reflash to eliminate. Some real nasty rootkits are out there...
    A malware infection should always be suspected if an Android starts functioning abnormally. They are rare but they do happen.

helen2

May 19, 2014
    I agree the fast charger shouldnt damage the phone, but didnt know if it was a cheaply made one and maybe caused a short on the MB of some kind.

That is a very good call. a system restore or even factory reset may be all that is needed.
    Do you know why I think maybe is the fast charge? because it was the only new / different thing i did and after a week I had problems.I think if you charge fast the phone gets hotter (and the motherboard too) Before I used a simple travel charger.Note 4 dosent go in recovery mode I can try to do a factory reset from the setting but,..If then will not restart?ATM I'm using WAKELOCK,I have uninstaled 50% app/games so I give to the handy more memory and if I must restrt it I force the restart (vol down+ power .As I wrote can only go on download mode but not on recovery mde .
    Hope will not brick (ols if is 7 years I have it) just wundering if and when wll fine a good price of a note 20 ultra :D

PS:I forget to write that one "test I done was to restart note 4 in safe mode" but that dident help me :/

Last edited:

Unidave199

Nov 18, 2013
    Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Do you know why I think maybe is the fast charge? because it was the only new / different thing i did and after a week I had problems.I think if you charge fast the phone gets hotter (and the motherboard too) Before I used a simple travel charger.Note 4 dosent go in recovery mode I can try to do a factory reset from the setting but,..If then will not restart?ATM I'm using WAKELOCK,I have uninstaled 50% app/games so I give to the handy more memory and if I must restrt it I force the restart (vol down+ power .As I wrote can only go on download mode but not on recovery mde .
    Hope will not brick (ols if is 7 years I have it) just wundering if and when wll fine a good price of a note 20 ultra :D

PS:I forget to write that one "test I done was to restart note 4 in safe mode" but that dident help me :/
    Wait for the Note FE to come out :)

But... if you can get into download mode, that means you may need to use ODIN to re flash all the firmware and operating system back on.

I know this phone can get warm.. like 70C warm. I will often put it on a little ice tray when I am flashing to keep things nice and cool.

helen2

May 19, 2014
    Wait for the Note FE to come out :)

But... if you can get into download mode, that means you may need to use ODIN to re flash all the firmware and operating system back on.

I know this phone can get warm.. like 70C warm. I will often put it on a little ice tray when I am flashing to keep things nice and cool.
    I need spen ...The problem is the memory (eMMC) so I think that is the reason why is not able to go in recovery mode and is not able to restart (if I dont force it) s If I flash back lollipop maybe memory will not be enuf to restart in recovery mode (fr a wpe data) and as u know without a wipre data afer flashing will not restart s I will have it "half bricked"

Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone