Problem with Pixel XL screen on low brightness (mura effect)

Search This thread

Marghost

Nov 1, 2016
Hi guys,
I am new here, my name is marc and i was an apple fanboy not long ago.

I bought the new Pixel XL. I did not see that in the first week, but yesterday i found someting. I can't be the only one to have this little flaw.
I was in my bed checking some dark (dark i mean not terrorist and sh** lol dark gray dark) website with the brightness low and the night mode turned on. I saw two dark (black line on dark grey) line in the bottom of my phone. When i turn the light of the display a little bit on and they dissapear. They are not easy to catch in picture with my camera because we can see it only with no brightness in the display. I googled it and i found some lookalike issue called mura effect. (Problem of fabrication of amoled screen when low voltage dont turn on pixels.)

I wanna now should i get worried, i saw that many amoled displays have this flaw that is innerant because of the fabric technique? Do those line will grow up with time? Am i the only one with pixel that have this problem, maybe you just didint see it and now you will pay attention (mouahahah ocd spoiler alert)? Is there a fix for this problem?

Keep me posted if you have the same issue with the pixel or other amoled phone as i dont want to be alone in this dark darker screen lol

Last edited:

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
Hi guys,
I am new here, my name is marc and i was an apple fanboy not long ago.

I bought the new Pixel XL. I did not see that in the first week, but yesterday i found someting. I can't be the only one to have this little flaw.
I was in my bed checking some dark (dark i mean not terrorist and sh** lol dark gray dark) website with the brightness low and the night mode turned on. I saw two dark (black line on dark grey) line in the bottom of my phone. When i turn the light of the display a little bit on and they dissapear. They are not easy to catch in picture with my camera because we can see it only with no brightness in the display. I googled it and i found some lookalike issue called mura effect. (Problem of fabrication of amoled screen when low voltage dont turn on pixels.)

I wanna now should i get worried, i saw that many amoled displays have this flaw that is innerant because of the fabric technique? Do those line will grow up with time? Am i the only one with pixel that have this problem, maybe you just didint see it and now you will pay attention (mouahahah ocd spoiler alert)? Is there a fix for this problem?

Keep me posted if you have the same issue with the pixel or other amoled phone as i dont want to be alone in this dark darker screen lol
Dang man! You are indeed a jerk! Haha, no I'm serious. I just checked it out and I get the same thing. Sometimes the lines if you look hard enough they'll flicker too. Not cool man. Now I feel as if something is wrong with the screen. The colors already drive me a little nuts as they're a bit oversaturated compared to lcd and retina displays. Now I'm gonna look for these lines all the time. Thanks bro

Marghost

Nov 1, 2016
Ahahah sorry mate XD
i didnt see them flicker or move at all here just standing and waiting for me to see them again

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA Labs

Marghost

Nov 1, 2016
If anyone is interested about an update i chatted with a rep of Google today. I am waiting an email who Will explain to me howto ship or send back the device to a Google store. This is a known issue i am not crazy hehe

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
If anyone is interested about an update i chatted with a rep of Google today. I am waiting an email who Will explain to me howto ship or send back the device to a Google store. This is a known issue i am not crazy hehe
I spoke with them also and they told me that it's only when on it's lowest brightness setting and nothing can be done as it's a software issue and not hardware. I'm starting to think they gave me the middle finger without me even knowing it. Haha

Marghost

Nov 1, 2016
I spoke with them also and they told me that it's only when on it's lowest brightness setting and nothing can be done as it's a software issue and not hardware. I'm starting to think they gave me the middle finger without me even knowing it. Haha
Ahahah yes it seems like they bull****ed you

Marghost

Nov 1, 2016
Me i was clear i said to them my brand new 1k phone that i Will keep for at least 2 years is defect. I trusted their product this is a build flaw. I was clear that i want them to fix it. Try to be direct and say you trusted them with your new phone. Keep me posted me im waiting for the send back instructions

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
Me i was clear i said to them my brand new 1k phone that i Will keep for at least 2 years is defect. I trusted their product this is a build flaw. I was clear that i want them to fix it. Try to be direct and say you trusted them with your new phone. Keep me posted me im waiting for the send back instructions
Sounds good. Looks like I just need to be persistent and adamant toward the fact that it is a 1k phone and this issue is, or at the very least, appearsrs to be hardware related. I too plan to keep the device for at least 2 years and if the hardware is already suffering a defect than I could only imagine how bad it will get from repetitive use. Thanks again. I'll keep you posted and let you know what they say when I speak to them again.

Reactions: Marghost

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
My pixel XL is just fine, suffering from none of the shenanigans that the others are
Well, good for you lucky guy you! Google's trying to tell me it's normal for amoled's. Hah, it is normal for defective amoled's but not properly working amoled's. I am about to give them what for and then ask politely for an rma. :D

Marghost

Nov 1, 2016
They asked me to take some pictures it was pain in the as*. I share them with yall. Google said Will send me a box to replace it.

Attachments

• IMG_2090.jpg
    IMG_2090.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_2089.jpg
    IMG_2089.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 241

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
They asked me to take some pictures it was pain in the as*. I share them with yall. Google said Will send me a box to replace it.
If they ask me to do so I'm not sure I have anything other than my Pixel that will capture it. I literally have nothing with a decent camera aside from my Pixel XL. Hmmm.... What to do....

Marghost

Nov 1, 2016
Ask a friend or a parent with with an s7 or an iPhone lol. My father iPhone6 did the job. My Old s4 didint work to low rez. I Guess.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2016
Well, good for you lucky guy you! Google's trying to tell me it's normal for amoled's. Hah, it is normal for defective amoled's but not properly working amoled's. I am about to give them what for and then ask politely for an rma. :D
Sh*t, my pixel developed these symptoms. Anyway I have an RMA unit on the way. It's nice that they send u the new phone first, so you don't have to go without a phone, which is nice

farangutan

Jun 28, 2011
I find the lowest to still be too bright on most phones, the pixel xl included. I use an app called iris mini. There's a free version. It greatly lowers the brightness and red shifts the screen and in the week I've had the phone, I haven't noticed this issue of the mura effect. Give that app a shot next time you read in the dark. It might help.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sounds good. Looks like I just need to be persistent and adamant toward the fact that it is a 1k phone and this issue is, or at the very least, appearsrs to be hardware related. I too plan to keep the device for at least 2 years and if the hardware is already suffering a defect than I could only imagine how bad it will get from repetitive use. Thanks again. I'll keep you posted and let you know what they say when I speak to them again.
    The key is to be polite

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone