• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Problems in Lollipop - possible to downgrade to Kit Kat?

Search This thread

Scramjet

Apr 10, 2012
Singapore
Hi everyone.

I own a HTC One M8 with CID 144, if I remember correctly. It's factory unlocked (all phones sold in Singapore are unlocked, by law), and I upgraded to Lollipop a couple of days ago, with firmware version 4.19.707.2 (Asia WWE).

I have noticed several issues, or perhaps bugs. If these can be resolved in Lollipop itself, that would be excellent - if not, I'd like to downgrade back to Kit Kat.

First - whenever I get a notification and don't unlock my phone to view it, the phone buzzes intermittently, again and again, until I check my phone. It doesn't behave like it did in Kit Kat and like it should in every other phone - vibrate twice, and stop.

Secondly, and related to the above problem, is that all my WhatsApp notifications vibrate, even when ALL notification types, both individual and group messages are set to NOT vibrate. Is the built-in notification system overriding WhatsApp's control over vibration and sound?

Next, I have Wi-Fi disconnection issues. I already sleep relatively far from the router, separated by three concrete walls, and I experienced disconnection, occasionally, in Kit Kat. It happens far more often now, even with Wi-Fi optimisation for battery switched off.

Next, I cannot tap on a notification when it appears to go into that app - also very different from Kit Kat behaviour. I can only slide it away and manually enter the app from either the home screen or the app drawer. In general, I don't much like the new notification look and feel.

Last of all, and ironically, my battery life seems to have decreased after upgrading to Lollipop - contrary to what Google promised.

Are there any solutions to these, or is there a way I can downgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Riyan_Fransen

Mar 30, 2013
Hmm I don't know if you can do that with everything stock. Only way I know is by flashing an RUU file. But you need unlocked bootloader for that, but not sure if you also need to be s-off.

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
To downgrade the bootloader you need indeed s-off. But there is a possibility that you can downgrade only the software. I am not 100% sure that the older kitkat roms work on the newest hboots but that's a trial and error.

So what you need to do is

Unlock the bootloader
Flash a custom recovery
Install a kitkat rom or restore a kit kat nandroid backup

or

Buy the sunshine s-off method and downgrade also the hboot which is indeed possible with a ruu or a firmware.

Scramjet

Apr 10, 2012
Singapore
Thanks for the clear replies.

However, SunShine needs the Dalvik runtime - Lollipop uses ART. How do I change it? I can't find the option in Developer Options...

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
Then wait for a sunshine update that might get released or try the first method i described :)

dmeerpa

Jul 12, 2013
Aalst
I confirm that it is possible to downgrade to Kitkat.
I was on Lollipop 4.16.401.10, but I needed the xposed framework.
I first installed custom recovery
then installed a nandroid backup of 3.28.401.6 and via OTA back to 3.28.401.9

Reactions: sanijsnj

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011

Thank you for confirming the idea :)

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Didn't work for me. I flashed a complete stock nandroid 3.28.401.9 Rom. Wouldn't boot past HTC one screen.
Had to RUU back.
Maybe the intermediate step of flashing the ota fixed it for the guy above.

Last edited:

bajwa2307

Feb 5, 2015
Hi,

I am facing the same issue. After upgrading to Lollipop, all notifications which come in the phone and are not read, the phone keeps on vibrating intermittently. The same happens on both vibrate or normal mode. Also, I've noticed that the notification sound is different as compared to the sound that I selected for notifications.

Whatsapp is where I am facing this issue the most. Even when I've put a group to mute, it still vibrates and keeps in intermittently vibrating until I don't swipe off the notification or read the messages.

DND mode does help in stopping the vibrations but thats not what want. I am still trying to figure out if this is bug or a feature because this is the only thread identifying this issue.

Any suggestions on how to get this corrected?

Thanks

Scramjet

Apr 10, 2012
Singapore
Thanks for all the suggestions guys - but I did it the easy way. I had to send in my phone for service anyway (dirty speakers and cameras) and when the phone was returned to me, I got KitKat 3.32.707.9 back. Excellent.
Hi,

I am facing the same issue. After upgrading to Lollipop, all notifications which come in the phone and are not read, the phone keeps on vibrating intermittently. The same happens on both vibrate or normal mode. Also, I've noticed that the notification sound is different as compared to the sound that I selected for notifications.

Whatsapp is where I am facing this issue the most. Even when I've put a group to mute, it still vibrates and keeps in intermittently vibrating until I don't swipe off the notification or read the messages.

DND mode does help in stopping the vibrations but thats not what want. I am still trying to figure out if this is bug or a feature because this is the only thread identifying this issue.

Thanks
I managed to find a fix for this constant, repeated vibration issue - it's actually in Accessibility, and also exists in KitKat, but is switched off. The option is called 'Notification reminder'; switch it off and profit.

Last edited:
Reactions: arzme

mike964

Nov 17, 2014
Bucharest
Worse battery life

Hello,

How can I reflash the stock sense Lollipop rom? I searched about it on google and forums, haven't found something relevant to my case. I got the rom package from HTC Dev website. Now I am running stock sense lollipop 5.0.1. The reason why I want to do this is because the battery life is bad after the update. A lot of people say that their battery life improved after the OTA with 20-25%. MIne didn't . I tried everything: power it off and reboot it after several seconds, 2 factory resets and deleted cache 2 times. I don't know what else to do. If reflashing doesn't solve the problem I want to downgrade to 4.4.4. Two animations, 3 design updates and 4 new features are not worth dumping the battery like that.

Phone is bootloader unlocked and s-on. No root. Everything stock.

Before lollipop, with 4.4.4 I could have location on with battery saving setting, power saver off, auto brightness, 3g and Wi-Fi on all day and every app I could think of.
During the night time I would activate power saver and turn off Wi-Fi and 3g (just the phone on). The battery would last around 1 day and 5 to 10 hours until I got to 35-40 percent. Medium to intense use.
On Lollipop things are not so good. The battery on the same setup and usage is around 19 hours or less. And I can see it dropping while using the phone.
Facebook apps are NOT guilty, or any other app for that matter. I kept the phone factory state for 2 days. Same battery drainage. It's more than a week now since I installed the update.

I'm open for suggestions and solutions. On 4.4.4 it used to be the best phone out there for me.

Thanks and sorry for the lengthy post

Tranego

Jan 4, 2008
Belluno
To downgrade the bootloader you need indeed s-off. But there is a possibility that you can downgrade only the software. I am not 100% sure that the older kitkat roms work on the newest hboots but that's a trial and error.

Unlock the bootloader
Flash a custom recovery

or

Buy the sunshine s-off method and downgrade also the hboot which is indeed possible with a ruu or a firmware.

Installed ARHD 22.2 over ARHD 40.3 , wiped data. It's working flawless. No need to downgrade the bootloader

Reactions: Thepho3nix

sdwyz74

Jun 23, 2009
Seattle
So I'm s-off and unlocked but I'm tired of all the roms I've tried them all on 4.4!

Now to be honest I've tried some of the lollipop Roms but they take like 30mins to boot as I'm still on kit Kat firmware but some do Boot and run Fine it's just I want more options but I've been scared to upgrade my firmware because I don't want to be stuck there if I don't like it after testing ??? So once again I am T-Mobile HTC one m8 Unlocked Boot loader and S-off

Is it a Cake Walk or a Nightmare going to Lolli and or Back to Kit Kat Firmware ????? thanks for looking and Please Advise

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 5
So I'm s-off and unlocked but I'm tired of all the roms I've tried them all on 4.4!

Now to be honest I've tried some of the lollipop Roms but they take like 30mins to boot as I'm still on kit Kat firmware but some do Boot and run Fine it's just I want more options but I've been scared to upgrade my firmware because I don't want to be stuck there if I don't like it after testing ??? So once again I am T-Mobile HTC one m8 Unlocked Boot loader and S-off

Is it a Cake Walk or a Nightmare going to Lolli and or Back to Kit Kat Firmware ????? thanks for looking and Please Advise

It's a cake walk. No problems going back when you are S-Off.

T

tony_5309

I'm on T-Mobile and ive converted back and forth so many times to try out what's out there (international and GPE) that I'm finally back to stock 4.4.2 Kit Kat Tmo. So yes, it's very easy and so many guides to follow.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

sdwyz74

Jun 23, 2009
Seattle
So on more Very Important Question k 2 actually but this one is of super importance

Is there away to do it with out loosing s-off and root ?

And Second can you guys Direct me to the best and or Safe/Simplest Guide as Most are so up in the air and Confusing ???? Thanks and Please Advise

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About date i can agree but date is not main reason!!! Sometimes post from 2005 can help some members.
    About your pretty sure "And yes, I'm pretty sure he was S-Off. Mr Hofs was at least. "
    What you thnk ppl hear are pythoness to guess ? :D:laugh: You think , i think , We think , or maybe ?
    Whille you thnk others can brick customer phone. There is stuff called LOG just full fill it without thinking :laugh: :good:

You replied to a thread with last reply from two years ago to talk about your previous post which was a year later than last post at that time.

Oh, the irony...
    Well, I see. Does anyone have a RUU for CID 044, firmware version 3.32.707.9?

While I don't have an RUU for you, I do have this link to give you.
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys - but I did it the easy way. I had to send in my phone for service anyway (dirty speakers and cameras) and when the phone was returned to me, I got KitKat 3.32.707.9 back. Excellent.
    Hi,

Thanks
    I managed to find a fix for this constant, repeated vibration issue - it's actually in Accessibility, and also exists in KitKat, but is switched off. The option is called 'Notification reminder'; switch it off and profit.

Unlock the bootloader
    Flash a custom recovery

or

Installed ARHD 22.2 over ARHD 40.3 , wiped data. It's working flawless. No need to downgrade the bootloader