• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Problems Pairing with a Google Pixel 2 XL running Android P

Search This thread

skersh

Aug 5, 2017
Amarillo, Texas
I'm wondering if anybody else is having issues pairing a Google Pixel 2 XL with a Samsung Gear Fit 2 Pro? I have a Samsung S8+ and a Google Pixel 2 XL (work) phone that I bounce back and forth using as my daily phone. I recently signed up and are using Android P on my Pixel 2 XL. When I upgraded to Android P, the Samsung Gear app worked just fine and the Gear Fit 2 Pro worked fine too. Then, I went over to the S8+ for a few weeks (unpaired the watch from the Pixel 2 XL and paired it with the S8+). Now, when I try to go back to the Pixel 2 XL and pair the watch with the Samsung Gear app, it force closes just when the "pairing process" is taking place. It will show the 6 digit pairing number and when I hit "OK", it force closes.

Anybody else having issues with this.....or is it just me? I figured Samsung just hasn't updated their Gear app for Android P just yet?

skersh

Aug 5, 2017
Amarillo, Texas
Thanks! Yes, I had to opt out of the Android P program and go back to Oreo to get my Pixel 2 XL to work again with my Gear Fit 2 Pro.

Guess I"ll just wait for the final version of Android P to come out...with Samsung's Gear app update....before upgrading to Android P again!

Ugh...thanks Samsung!

techiekeki

Jul 4, 2018
Kalamazoo
Hello,

Unfortunately I am also experiencing the same issue with my Samsung Gear Fit 2.

I have a Google pixel 2 and also on the Android P beta program. Ever since the launch of the beta 5 I have experienced this issue. Before the beta 5 update, I had no hiccupps whatsoever with my fit 2 on Beta 3 and 4.

Since discovering the issue, I've been able sync my watch with the Gear app successfully on an LG V20 and the latest Nougat version.

I have tried several workarounds that have been successful for the same issue when other Android versions launched. However I have had no success with any previous work around as of thus far.

I also forgot to mention that I factory reset my Google pixel 2 AFTER the beta 5 update. Could that be the problem completely as the app works fine with Android P before the reset?

Last edited: