Productive Wireless Linking Apps that Complement the Galaxy Note 8 with other Smartph

Search This thread

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
janeilarlegui.deviantart.com
I still use my Galaxy Note II as it is convenient as a main communications device, while the Note 8 for when I need to work, drawing and presentations. I've been doing some research on making them connected productively.

The projectors in the school where I teach are still using the old VGA analog socket and I've finally found an HDMI to VGA adaptor to go along with the micro USB to HDMI compatible with the S3, S4, Note II, Note 10.1 and of course the Note 8. So, instead of spending much more on the AllShareCast dongle (I'll get one eventual as I had to spend on that rare VGA connector), I can connect my Note II to the projector to mirror what I have on the Note 8.

You need to root however. I really must say rooting gives more useful tools in making your Android devices as the more useful platform around.

For best remote control app with pointer pad, keyboard, media, and game controls, I recommend DroidMote. It's a paid app, and quite responsive via wifi or bluetooth. It's not optimized to respond to S Pen pressure sensitivity or be able to make line drawings on the receiving device.

For sms alerts, reading and composing using your smartphone's SIM number, Dinamotxt (paid) mirrors them on the Note 8 via bluetooth. This is especially useful for me as the stick my Note II on the window as a wifi hotspot as I have an unlimited data plan.

And finally, RemoDroid (beta, and is still free!). It exactly mirrors whatever you are working showed on the streaming device to receiving device(s) via wifi signal. Receiving device(s) can remote control the streaming device. It's not that smooth but I can demonstrate drawing processes and markups on presentation slides.

There are other apps but the above are the more useful. Got any other effective apps you can recommend?

rooted stock Galaxy Note 8 GT-N5100

Reactions: xDa.Fun

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
My setup with my Note II as receiver for my Note 8's streaming to a projector.
uploadfromtaptalk1372774871232.jpg
I had to use an HDMI to VGA adaptor to connect to old projectors.

ExploreMN

Jun 23, 2007
View attachment 2086188

I gotta say, I think I would buy a project box and put that whole mess in there to make it look nicer, but it's cool you got this going!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
I discovered that with RemoDroid, you can view your streaming Android device's screen display on a computer on the same wifi network. You just need to type the designated URL on the PC's web browser found on the device, and a small flash applet would be initiated to start the viewing. There is a lag though, depending how busy is the network.

In this way, you just need the projector connected to the pc to present your device's content wireless. Pretty neat. I get to walk around the classroom while lecturing.

ProjectER

Jul 6, 2013
NOTE8 and smartphone for note taking

I still use my Galaxy Note II as it is convenient as a main communications device, while the Note 8 for when I need to work, drawing and presentations. I've been doing some research on making them connected productively.

The projectors in the school where I teach are still using the old VGA analog socket and I've finally found an HDMI to VGA adaptor to go along with the micro USB to HDMI compatible with the S3, S4, Note II, Note 10.1 and of course the Note 8. So, instead of spending much more on the AllShareCast dongle (I'll get one eventual as I had to spend on that rare VGA connector), I can connect my Note II to the projector to mirror what I have on the Note 8.

You need to root however. I really must say rooting gives more useful tools in making your Android devices as the more useful platform around.

For best remote control app with pointer pad, keyboard, media, and game controls, I recommend DroidMote. It's a paid app, and quite responsive via wifi or bluetooth. It's not optimized to respond to S Pen pressure sensitivity or be able to make line drawings on the receiving device.

For sms alerts, reading and composing using your smartphone's SIM number, Dinamotxt (paid) mirrors them on the Note 8 via bluetooth. This is especially useful for me as the stick my Note II on the window as a wifi hotspot as I have an unlimited data plan.

And finally, RemoDroid (beta, and is still free!). It exactly mirrors whatever you are working showed on the streaming device to receiving device(s) via wifi signal. Receiving device(s) can remote control the streaming device. It's not that smooth but I can demonstrate drawing processes and markups on presentation slides.

There are other apps but the above are the more useful. Got any other effective apps you can recommend?

Hello, just thought I'd give my input on good linking apps for the note 8 and a smartphone. Have you tried foldersync or syncme? I like the idea of syncing folders across devices (no pc or internet/drop box required).

My usage scenrio is mainly for taking down notes for lectures...the note 8 is great for notes and annotating images for notes but the 5 megapixel camera (although nice) is just not up to par for taking pictures of white boards or power point slides from afar. Furthermore, lifting a tablet to take pictures is somewhat unwieldly. I can take pictures using the S2 then sync (not just "transfer" but "synchronize") camera folders so I can edit the pictures immediately on the note 8 for note taking. I use camera ace on the S2 since it can designate what folder gets your pictures as you take them. So you can set up a "LECTURES" setup up that immediately dumps pics to a "LECTURES FOLDER" and a "FAMILY" SET UP for a family folder.There's also camscanner to convert the pictures of that folder to a PDF. then sync all over to the note 8 at a push (vis syncme or foldersync) of a button and do annotating/note taking there. "SYNCHRONIZation" is more efficient then transferring bulk files i believe.

The only problem with syncME is that it uses smb shares but if your note 8 is already rooted then samba share servers are all over the playstore. Foldersync is more robust in that it supports FTP, SFTP, FTPS, SMB, WEB DAV, CLOUD (like drop box) and resume (sometimes).Lately, though, a few versions back, reviews on the playstore claimed foldersync showed riskware? Haven't detected any though on the latest update. :fingers-crossed:

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
Hello, just thought I'd give my input on good linking apps for the note 8 and a smartphone. Have you tried foldersync or syncme? I like the idea of syncing folders across devices (no pc or internet/drop box required).

My usage scenrio is mainly for taking down notes for lectures...the note 8 is great for notes and annotating images for notes but the 5 megapixel camera (although nice) is just not up to par for taking pictures of white boards or power point slides from afar. Furthermore, lifting a tablet to take pictures is somewhat unwieldly. I can take pictures using the S2 then sync (not just "transfer" but "synchronize") camera folders so I can edit the pictures immediately on the note 8 for note taking. I use camera ace on the S2 since it can designate what folder gets your pictures as you take them. So you can set up a "LECTURES" setup up that immediately dumps pics to a "LECTURES FOLDER" and a "FAMILY" SET UP for a family folder.There's also camscanner to convert the pictures of that folder to a PDF. then sync all over to the note 8 at a push (vis syncme or foldersync) of a button and do annotating/note taking there. "SYNCHRONIZation" is more efficient then transferring bulk files i believe.

The only problem with syncME is that it uses smb shares but if your note 8 is already rooted then samba share servers are all over the playstore. Foldersync is more robust in that it supports FTP, SFTP, FTPS, SMB, WEB DAV, CLOUD (like drop box) and resume (sometimes).Lately, though, a few versions back, reviews on the playstore claimed foldersync showed riskware? Haven't detected any though on the latest update. :fingers-crossed:

Ah, I'll try those. I've been thinking about syncing folders. Cloud saving is done manually.

There is also an sms app called dinamotxt that transmits your sms to your tab if your phone unit is your main com number of other number.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium HD app

ProjectER

Jul 6, 2013
The ultimate sync project at least for me

Ah, I'll try those. I've been thinking about syncing folders. Cloud saving is done manually.

There is also an sms app called dinamotxt that transmits your sms to your tab if your phone unit is your main com number of other number.

Nice, I'll check out dinamotxt also...

Regarding sms, across tab and phone, you reminded me of a particular project I've been trying to get up and running between the note 8 and S2...its usese tasker.

I already know tasker can be used to automate and send commands across android devices using autovoice and autoremote but these usually require internet and an online website html web page...

I'm trying to get my S2 to dish out commands to the note 8 while it's in may bag..

Scenario 1 (tried and it works/but really just a proof of concept):

1) I will call the note 8 with the phone...
2) This will trigger bluetooth on which will connect to the S2
--blue tooth is already triggered on the S2 when I called the note 8 (automatically via a tasker profile)

or

2) wifi or AP will be triggered on both divices so they can connect instantaneously (all simply by calling the note 8, again all automated with tasker on both devices)

3)an sms messaging app connecting tablet and phone is also simultaneously triggered. I use sms tablet lite. (works fine so far but I'll give dinamotxt a try as well ).

4) from there I can tell the note 8 to sms someone using it's own sim card without ever pulling the note 8 out of the bag.
5) tasker will automatically turn off bluetooth or wifi based on a set number of conditions (after a lull time with no commands / change in geolocation or after a second call from the S2)

Scenario 2 (what I hopefully want to accomplish to unleash to full might of tasker)-> this hopefully is done with no internet connection or paid sms
1) call the note 8
2) trigger bluetooth or AP or wifi lan or even wifidirect
3) send tasker commands from the S2 to the note 8...from here on the possibilities are endless....
tasker commands, tasker profiles, tasker scenes....
4) AUTOMATICALLY shut off the connection again via tasker.

Possible solutions: Nonrooted devices:
1) as I mentioned ealrier, all of these can already be accompished via autoremote and autovoice but these all require a working internet connection and an html/url web page on a server somewhere (it's not that I don't trust the autoremote developer who I think is a true genius, it's just that I want it all to run without the internet....)...
2) SMS message: send an sms message from the S2 to the NOTE 8 (the main reason why i got the note 8 3G version was for tasker and not really to make calls)...set up tasker to read the sms message and then take it from there but this will cost money (cheap but still not free). it is a very plausible solution though.
3) send messages to the notification bar.-tasker can read notifications and take it from there
-This is the real dilemma...the best messaging system (LAN or AP without the need for paid sms or internet) I've found that sends messages to the notification bar is IPMSG: it sends the entire "message" leading to very specific commands via tasker.
-the problem is that with the latest jellybean update, the notification panel has become rather complex (it's interactive now with pictures and all). Tasker can no longer distinguish the main body of the notificaiton from the title of the notification...and since the title of the notification for IPMSG is always "new message" that kinda limits me to just one type of command. (tasker now only read the title of the notification)
4) remote widgets:
I read that the sony smart watch has an app then can put widgets on the smartphone directly on the smartwatch. Tasker can trigger commands based on customized widgets. So you can press on a widget on the watch and tasker does the command immediately as if you touched the tablet. I'm trying to look for an app that does the same thing but instead of putting the widgets on a smartwatch, it will put the tasker widget on the S2.

Possible solutions: for rooted device.
1) if you have a rooted device, utter! which I found here on XDA is a possiblity. Utter can make use of google's built in offline voice recognition software and links with tasker, you can voice command the note 8 via the phones-utter->offline-google voice recognition->tasker tablet.
This i haven't done yet...

I'm really interested in fully integrating tasker between the note 8 and various other android devices. I think it is the true defining factor of the complete android experience setting android miles apart from the proprietary mobile OS's. Just wish I could get it to work...hehe...:fingers-crossed:

Last edited:
Reactions: xDa.Fun

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
ProjectER, wow, I only keep a smartwatch (SE LiveView) to control my GT-N7100 than my Note 8. I really use my 8 as a secondary number with my old SIM card for contacts who aren't updated with my new number.

I connect a bluetooth ear set to both for incoming calls. I also opt to get myself a Sony stereo bluetooth earpiece with display to read text and incoming call ids for both. Expensive as the unit maybe at P5k, I want one for easy operation while commuting. It has a slot for micro SD and a radio.

I don't like taking out my devices so much in public. I've done some extensive forum posts about the Hidden Note 8 and II for concealment.

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
I had bought the 5 pack NFC Tec Tiles that triggers tasks or profile changes for my Note II. When I was looking for an app that does more than the Samsung NFC Managervapp, I found an interesting one called NFC Task Launcher by Tagstand. It has some extra features for non-NFC functions.

What's interesting about this app for the Note 8 is that you can trigger apps/tasks/settings when you connect/disconnect bluetooth or wifi, even via location, time/day, battery percentage and is Tasker compatible.

You can use your bluetooth devices like an media player to turn on/off the wifi hotspot for example. You need not take out the Note 8.

The only thing is, the app doesn't appear on the Play Store via Note 8 and I had to extract and copied the apk of it using Titanium Backup to install.

It's another addition in making my Hidden Note 8 project even better.

lesliescott06

Aug 6, 2013
One more app that is meant for the sake of time tracking and management and as such it is the market leader in terms of time tracking. The tool that I am talking about is Replicon. The hassle free experience with cloud based and calender based and user friendly interface helps manage the time and keep the users active and upto the mark.

jn lee

Jun 28, 2021
아직 해보지 않아서 잘 모르지만, 이렇게 간단하고 편리하게 업그레이드 할 수 있을 것 같아서 기대 됩니다. 감사합니다.

Translation: I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know for sure, but I'm looking forward to it because I think it'll be a simple and convenient upgrade. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    uploadfromtaptalk1372774871232.jpg

The ultimate sync project at least for me

Nice, I'll check out dinamotxt also...

Regarding sms, across tab and phone, you reminded me of a particular project I've been trying to get up and running between the note 8 and S2...its usese tasker.

I already know tasker can be used to automate and send commands across android devices using autovoice and autoremote but these usually require internet and an online website html web page...

I'm trying to get my S2 to dish out commands to the note 8 while it's in may bag..

Scenario 1 (tried and it works/but really just a proof of concept):

1) I will call the note 8 with the phone...
    2) This will trigger bluetooth on which will connect to the S2
    --blue tooth is already triggered on the S2 when I called the note 8 (automatically via a tasker profile)

or

2) wifi or AP will be triggered on both divices so they can connect instantaneously (all simply by calling the note 8, again all automated with tasker on both devices)

3)an sms messaging app connecting tablet and phone is also simultaneously triggered. I use sms tablet lite. (works fine so far but I'll give dinamotxt a try as well ).

4) from there I can tell the note 8 to sms someone using it's own sim card without ever pulling the note 8 out of the bag.
    5) tasker will automatically turn off bluetooth or wifi based on a set number of conditions (after a lull time with no commands / change in geolocation or after a second call from the S2)

Scenario 2 (what I hopefully want to accomplish to unleash to full might of tasker)-> this hopefully is done with no internet connection or paid sms
    1) call the note 8
    2) trigger bluetooth or AP or wifi lan or even wifidirect
    3) send tasker commands from the S2 to the note 8...from here on the possibilities are endless....
    tasker commands, tasker profiles, tasker scenes....
    4) AUTOMATICALLY shut off the connection again via tasker.

Possible solutions: Nonrooted devices:
    1) as I mentioned ealrier, all of these can already be accompished via autoremote and autovoice but these all require a working internet connection and an html/url web page on a server somewhere (it's not that I don't trust the autoremote developer who I think is a true genius, it's just that I want it all to run without the internet....)...
    2) SMS message: send an sms message from the S2 to the NOTE 8 (the main reason why i got the note 8 3G version was for tasker and not really to make calls)...set up tasker to read the sms message and then take it from there but this will cost money (cheap but still not free). it is a very plausible solution though.
    3) send messages to the notification bar.-tasker can read notifications and take it from there
    -This is the real dilemma...the best messaging system (LAN or AP without the need for paid sms or internet) I've found that sends messages to the notification bar is IPMSG: it sends the entire "message" leading to very specific commands via tasker.
    -the problem is that with the latest jellybean update, the notification panel has become rather complex (it's interactive now with pictures and all). Tasker can no longer distinguish the main body of the notificaiton from the title of the notification...and since the title of the notification for IPMSG is always "new message" that kinda limits me to just one type of command. (tasker now only read the title of the notification)
    4) remote widgets:
    I read that the sony smart watch has an app then can put widgets on the smartphone directly on the smartwatch. Tasker can trigger commands based on customized widgets. So you can press on a widget on the watch and tasker does the command immediately as if you touched the tablet. I'm trying to look for an app that does the same thing but instead of putting the widgets on a smartwatch, it will put the tasker widget on the S2.

Possible solutions: for rooted device.
    1) if you have a rooted device, utter! which I found here on XDA is a possiblity. Utter can make use of google's built in offline voice recognition software and links with tasker, you can voice command the note 8 via the phones-utter->offline-google voice recognition->tasker tablet.
    This i haven't done yet...

I'm really interested in fully integrating tasker between the note 8 and various other android devices. I think it is the true defining factor of the complete android experience setting android miles apart from the proprietary mobile OS's. Just wish I could get it to work...hehe...:fingers-crossed: