• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Project 404 - RIPPA- Cepheus [12/25/2020]

Search This thread
Bootloop or Fastboot issue

Hey, maybe someone has a clue..

Everytime I Flash the rom and Gapps i will either get stuck in fastbboot or get into a bootloop at the "MI" Logo.
im Using recommended TWRP and flashed vbmeta Patch.

If i wipe System/Dalvik;Cache/Data I will get Stuck in fastboot and need to flash stock MIUI
If i only wipe Data/Dalvik;Cache (Factory Reset) I will get Stuck in bootloop.

This Rom sounds amazing! I really want to try it :D

P.S.
I'm around XDA Since years.. but had to create a new Account for some reason (No I wasn't banned or something like that).
So Hello @ all, I'm now the new one here :p

Last edited:

maodevil

Feb 25, 2011
Tijuana
I been using this rom for a week and I have some observations first I think it's a very good rom in general but I don't like some things first the wallpaper implementation is very strange it's like having two apps and I have problems with gapps tried different ones but all of them have strange problems you should have gapps pre install and I have two bugs voice match didn't work and the Google feed is unresponsive just my point of view thanks

Reactions: LeninRussianKing

Earl84

Nov 21, 2014

Everytime I Flash the rom and Gapps i will either get stuck in fastbboot or get into a bootloop at the "MI" Logo.

If i wipe System/Dalvik;Cache/Data I will get Stuck in fastboot and need to flash stock MIUI

P.S.
I'm around XDA Since years.. but had to create a new Account for some reason (No I wasn't banned or something like that).

I have exactly the same problem

If I'm not mistaken you need to format data, to be confirmed with 'yes', once installing a new AOSP ROM.

Cheers
Toscha

tested unfortunately does not bring success

maodevil

Feb 25, 2011
Tijuana

P.S.
I thing is the gapps use different ones

Reactions: PhasrX
If I'm not mistaken you need to format data, to be confirmed with 'yes', once installing a new AOSP ROM.

Cheers
Toscha

Thanks for the hint.
Do you know why this has to be done? This would be very annoying to do at every Rom change to a different one.. because everytime you have to restore your personal data backup :eek:

I will try and let you know if it worked :fingers-crossed:

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

I thing is the gapps use different ones

I dont think so, I've tried FireGapps (Recommended) as well as OpenGapps.

But Thanks for your Help :)

Reactions: maodevil

toscha42

Nov 13, 2011
Bangkok / Munich
Do you know why this has to be done? This would be very annoying to do at every Rom change to a different one.
Actually one definite reason would be when you switch between ROMs where the current one has Gapps included and the next one doesn't. Then 'Format data' is a must. For the other way round it may work without but I've never tried.
Since I have daily Google backup running anyhow restoring while building up the phone is not such a big deal. But yes, it still takes an hour or so. Bit annoying for sure once you change ROMs frequently.

Cheers
Toscha

I.m.Tuga

Jun 20, 2012
Actually one definite reason would be when you switch between ROMs where the current one has Gapps included and the next one doesn't. Then 'Format data' is a must. For the other way round it may work without but I've never tried.
Since I have daily Google backup running anyhow restoring while building up the phone is not such a big deal. But yes, it still takes an hour or so. Bit annoying for sure once you change ROMs frequently.

Cheers
Toscha
In my personal opinion, after more than 10 years using Android, several smartphones like the old LG's P500, P900, Nexus 5, S7 Edge. These Xiaomi phones are in the most inconsistent, inconvenient, troublesome flashing phones I've ever used.
For a "flashaholic" this is the worst phone yet.
You cannot do everything just with the phone itself. You gotta have to use the PC all the time....
You can't keep your TWRP's backups in the phone because there are several roms that recommend format Data, losing everything inside.
Some recommend flashing vbmeta before the TWRP, but in most unlocking and rooting guides they don't mention it. Is it really worth flashing vbmeta?
BTW can I flash it through TWRP image flasher, afterwards?
I got stuck 2 times in fastboot because I did something wrong when flashing this rom ( not blaming the Dev)
On other phones I never had these issues, only used the PC for root access and TWRP and that's it, from then on it was just you and the phone.
On this phone....I gotta carry the PC all time
No more Xiaomi...

Cave_diver

Feb 15, 2015
Xiaomi Poco F2 Pro (Redmi K30 Pro)
Il
On this phone....I gotta carry the PC all time
No more Xiaomi...

Not sure what that rant has to do in this thread, it is completely misplaced.
And clearly you have never used a phone with an a/b partition or you would realize how easy it is to work with this Xiaomi Phone. It is dead simple compared to some other recent devices.
And the formatting data issue is related to encryption and all phones post android 6 or so need this procedure.
Also if you had an otg adapter you wouldn't need a pc.
Please do some research before venting.

Reactions: raystef66

toscha42

Nov 13, 2011
Bangkok / Munich
Can't confirm this rant. Basically I don't think it's mainly Xiaomi being the culprit it's rather Google trying to make Android 'safer'. And compared to e. g. Huawei rooting and installing custom ROMs is so much easier on Xiaomi.
What I don't understand is why you need the PC so frequently. Yes, it's needed to flash vbmeta. But that's a one-time thing which never needs to be repeated unless you install an original Miui-ROM. For just installing AOSP ROMs or switching in between them I never use the PC.

Cheers
Toscha

Reactions: raystef66

I.m.Tuga

Jun 20, 2012
And clearly you have never used a phone with an a/b partition or you would realize how easy it is to work with this Xiaomi Phone. It is dead simple compared to some other recent devices.
And the formatting data issue is related to encryption and all phones post android 6 or so need this procedure.

Can't confirm this rant. Basically I don't think it's mainly Xiaomi being the culprit it's rather Google trying to make Android 'safer'. And compared to e. g. Huawei rooting and installing custom ROMs is so much easier on Xiaomi.
What I don't understand is why you need the PC so frequently. Yes, it's needed to flash vbmeta. But that's a one-time thing which never needs to be repeated unless you install an original Miui-ROM. For just installing AOSP ROMs or switching in between them I never use the PC.

Cheers
Toscha
First of all I'd like to excuse the ranting. Been trying to fix my already mentioned mistake until 4 in the morning, that's why I was upset. It was not my intention to polut this rom. Sorry Dev and all the users.
What I simply did was wipe everything. Data, cache, dalvik after formatting the data "the -yes-thing" and ended up with the fastboot twice having to reflash the whole factory img with miflash.
Is this due to the vbmeta that I didn't flash at the beginning?
Now that I returned to my MIUI 12 backup can I use the TWRP to flash vbmeta?

I.m.Tuga

Jun 20, 2012
I really want to try again and flash this rom.
Does anyone know what phone partition the vbmeta is installed?
Could try TWRP img installer and apply it to the right partition... maybe would work

I.m.Tuga

Jun 20, 2012
My ranting has nothing to do with this thread but my thoughtsb are about another's comment.
Yes I've used, rooted, unlocked, installed ROMs in so many devices for me and friends as a hobby I know pretty much about partitions, since the days of Android gingerbread.
For me "dead simple" even nowadays is:
Unlock bootloader, rooting,twrp, making an official rom backup.
Then flash rom+gapps and it's done.
Compared to what I've been through with other brands. This is the worst.

Cave_diver

Feb 15, 2015
Xiaomi Poco F2 Pro (Redmi K30 Pro)
Compared to what I've been through with other brands. This is the worst.

Lol. Like unlockable bootloaders, blown efuses, proprietary soc's without source code, a/b partitions, weird proprietary partition layouts, devices that have no TWRP for them.
This is abour as easy as it gets these days, kind of sad you are not able to appreciate it.

BigsyBiggins

Dec 15, 2009
I'm thankful xiaomi are giving us moddable phones, so many brands have permanently locked bootloaders and/or no sources or dead rom community.

What other brand is offering modern hardware that has a good modding community these days? I can only think of oneplus and the prices are not comparable. You can't even get premium cpus on a pixel anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cave_diver

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    pEKnqsQ.png

Finally!! The wait is over We present you Project 404

Leonardo Da Vinci, said

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."

And with that Goal in mind we bring you the Rom you don't think you need but the one you deserve,

(Oof sigh enough with quotes you must be getting bored) . So some of you might be like, sigh yet another Rom. Ugh we get it too, but give us a shot.

Our core ideology for this Project is the Stability. We are more focused on the Stability and UII, but also considering the usability since Usability and Stability are as much as important as UI/UX.

( shameless plug: Quote by me )

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

404 Team
    @Markakash
    @Ayushd70
    @UditKarode
    @Ojas

Got an issue or suggestion? Reach us at
    Telegram
    : https://t.me/project_404
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Project404x
    Channel: https://t.me/project404channel

Clean Install
    - Backup all your data (Important)
    - Format Data, the one u need to type yes (Before or after Flash), wipe Dalvik / Cache
    - Flash the Firmware + Rom (link below)
    - Reboot

ROM: https://project404.co/
    Firmware: HERE

Credits

- Google for AOSP
    - Team Potato
    - Paranoid Android
    - CarbonROM
    - LineageOS​

XDA:DevDB Information
    Project 404, ROM for the Xiaomi Mi 9

Contributors
    MangoMC, markakash
    ROM OS Version: Android 10

Version Information
    Beta

Created 2020-04-27
    Last Updated 2021-04-01
    New 404 build is live!

Changelog:

- July patch merged
    - Switched to all new Immensity kernel (should result in better experience)
    - Vendor blobs updated to LA.UM.8.1.r1-15100-sm8150.0
    - Performance and smoothness improvements
    - Fixed Google voice recorder
    - Other improvements here and there

Enjoy :)

Regards,
    Akash​
    New "Hotfix" Update for 404 is live!

Changelog:

- Safetynet is fixed. It passes out of the box
    - Fixed volume panel touch issue
    - Added 404 exclusive wallpapers. All credit goes to our Designer!
    - Added New accent and primary colors.
    - Updated GPS Hal to latest CAF tag
    - Added better ANX support
    - Some changes here and there

Enjoy :)

Regards,
    Akash​
    pEKnqsQ.png

New Project 404 build is live!

Changelog:

Device side:
    - Kernel upstreamed to 193