• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Project] Air Gestures to control your phone

Search This thread

joaomgcd

Aug 21, 2012
With the announcement of the new gestures feature for the Pixel 4 I thought: "I should try something similar with Tasker".

Here it is! :)

It's obviously less precise because you don't have all the extra sensors needed for accurate gestures, but on the other hand it's infinitely more customizable!
Depending on what situation you're in, you'll be able to do lots of different things!
Included are:
  • Music control gestures
  • Whatsapp gesture

These are just 2 examples. You can expand on these and do whatever you want with them!

Import the project here!

Enjoy! :D

joaomgcd

Aug 21, 2012

joaomgcd

Aug 21, 2012
Not working with both of them. Tried with google play, spotify and whatsup. After import It asked to install AutoInput and AutoNotification which I did and purchased. I allowed all the permissions but maybe some are missing...

Thanks. Can you verify that you have Tasker 5.8.2?
Also, did you give AutoNotification access to your notifications? Go to Tasker > Menu > More > Android Settings > Notification Access > Check if AutoNotification is enabled.

mirrik

Jun 14, 2019
Thanks. Can you verify that you have Tasker 5.8.2?
Also, did you give AutoNotification access to your notifications? Go to Tasker > Menu > More > Android Settings > Notification Access > Check if AutoNotification is enabled.

Yes, version 5.8.2 installed. AutoNotification has an access. All is set as you indicate. Maybe there is an issue with my proximity sensor. I test it by dialing *#77692# and by default it was off. I turned it on and It worked perfectly. On second attempt to dial It was off again. Maybe It is activated on samsung S10 only at performing specific action as making phone call?
I also checked with Sensoroid - Senso info app what sensor are there at my S10. It lists about 52 sensors found including TMD4910 Proximity sensor, Proximity pocket and Palm Proximity Sensor.

joaomgcd

Aug 21, 2012
Yes, version 5.8.2 installed. AutoNotification has an access. All is set as you indicate. Maybe there is an issue with my proximity sensor. I test it by dialing *#77692# and by default it was off. I turned it on and It worked perfectly. On second attempt to dial It was off again. Maybe It is activated on samsung S10 only at performing specific action as making phone call?
I also checked with Sensoroid - Senso info app what sensor are there at my S10. It lists about 52 sensors found including TMD4910 Proximity sensor, Proximity pocket and Palm Proximity Sensor.

Ah yes, that is possibly the issue! I've had reports from other people that the S10's sensor is not working as it should and only turns on during calls... Unfortunately I can't help with that one :( Check here for example.

Reactions: mirrik

Eduardo1974

Nov 20, 2016
Google Pixel 5
I would love to hear some other ideas that people on this thread used when activating this. I'm not a WhatsApp user, so I'm only basing my experiences through GPM. Any additional apps where this could be advantageous?

sasi2006166

Jul 13, 2018
Naples
Mate 20 lite not working i wasted 3 euros

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

And yes latest version and autonotification enabled

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
I imported the file from the OP to my OnePlus 6T. This is the only thing I have setup in Tasker, and for the life of me I can not get it to function. An I missing something

Start with making sure the proximity sensor is working. A poster above with a Samsung had a problem like that. If you need an app to test it, try Sensors Toolbox

Then look at the tasker log and see if there is any messages there that will help.

Are you trying the WhatsApp or music controls?

phillymade

Apr 27, 2011
City of Brotherly Love
Google Pixel 6
Start with making sure the proximity sensor is working. A poster above with a Samsung had a problem like that. If you need an app to test it, try Sensors Toolbox

Then look at the tasker log and see if there is any messages there that will help.

Are you trying the WhatsApp or music controls?
Music.
I'll try your suggestion
I really want to control the camera with this, but I do not think it's possible.

Sensor is working see photo

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
View attachment 4859291

Last edited:

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
Music.
I'll try your suggestion
I really want to control the camera with this, but I do not think it's possible.

View attachment 4859291

I actually installed this to see what was up. On the music version, the profile "Proximity With Music" has three contexts. The AutoNotification context is set to trigger the profile only on notifications from specific apps. You need to check and make sure your app is enabled there. Also, if you don't have AutoNotification installed, it won't work.

As far as taking a photo, that definitely can be done. Here is a Air Camera project. It builds on Joao's project and requires AutoInput to be installed.

It's possible that it won't work out of the "box" due to two things.

1) The "Camera" profile gets triggered based on the Google Camera app opening. This would need to be updated to whichever camera app is used.

2) In the "Handle Camera Gesture" profile entry task, the AutoInput action is expecting the Google Camera app. If that doesn't exist, that action can be updated to operate the shutter button in whatever camera app is installed.

NOTE: In the "Handle Camera Gesture" profile entry task, there is a paused action, "Take Photo". That is actually the Tasker action that will take a photo regardless whether the camera is open or not. It's a bit silly in this application but could be used instead of the AutoInput action.

Reactions: phillymade

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With the announcement of the new gestures feature for the Pixel 4 I thought: "I should try something similar with Tasker".

Here it is! :)

It's obviously less precise because you don't have all the extra sensors needed for accurate gestures, but on the other hand it's infinitely more customizable!
    Depending on what situation you're in, you'll be able to do lots of different things!
    Included are:
    • Music control gestures
    • Whatsapp gesture

These are just 2 examples. You can expand on these and do whatever you want with them!

Import the project here!

Enjoy! :D
    Great job Joao!!!
    If I can, I would like to share mine too from time ago. Hope this helps yours ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pfuk7jy4J8

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10pu5BlcN59xFcvZ9P1pav9YGchhaIDiz/view

Ah yes, that is possibly the issue! I've had reports from other people that the S10's sensor is not working as it should and only turns on during calls... Unfortunately I can't help with that one :( Check here for example.
    Music.
    I'll try your suggestion

View attachment 4859291

I actually installed this to see what was up. On the music version, the profile "Proximity With Music" has three contexts. The AutoNotification context is set to trigger the profile only on notifications from specific apps. You need to check and make sure your app is enabled there. Also, if you don't have AutoNotification installed, it won't work.

As far as taking a photo, that definitely can be done. Here is a Air Camera project. It builds on Joao's project and requires AutoInput to be installed.

It's possible that it won't work out of the "box" due to two things.

1) The "Camera" profile gets triggered based on the Google Camera app opening. This would need to be updated to whichever camera app is used.

2) In the "Handle Camera Gesture" profile entry task, the AutoInput action is expecting the Google Camera app. If that doesn't exist, that action can be updated to operate the shutter button in whatever camera app is installed.

NOTE: In the "Handle Camera Gesture" profile entry task, there is a paused action, "Take Photo". That is actually the Tasker action that will take a photo regardless whether the camera is open or not. It's a bit silly in this application but could be used instead of the AutoInput action.