[Project-Fi] Fi dialer codes to force carrier switching

Search This thread

maejrep

Jun 25, 2007
I just wish project Fi would release the factory rom they use on their n6s. They stated it was the same but with minor tweaks for project Fi

I installed the Fi ROM (LVY47H) from http://xdaforums.com/nexus-6/development/fxz-nexus-6-recovery-flashable-fastboot-t3066052. Has been working great for me.

The main tweak between this and any others is that the Project Fi app is part of the system on this (so it can't be uninstalled, and it starts the Fi activation as part of the onboarding when it's first turned on or after a factory reset)

But yes, I agree it's lame that they still haven't released the image directly on https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images :/

vboyz103

Apr 9, 2006
Just FYI, if your N6 switches to Sprint, then you won't be able to make calls and have active data connection at the same time due to limitation in CDMA. Fi Support confirmed via G+ when I posted my observation there.

maejrep

Jun 25, 2007
Just FYI, if your N6 switches to Sprint, then you won't be able to make calls and have active data connection at the same time due to limitation in CDMA. Fi Support confirmed via G+ when I posted my observation there.

I came from Sprint, so this is nothing new to me. However, if I'm not mistaken, I believe that's only true of 3G data. I think LTE and voice can coexist just fine.

GeneticJim

Jan 2, 2011
I installed the Fi ROM (LVY47H) from http://xdaforums.com/nexus-6/development/fxz-nexus-6-recovery-flashable-fastboot-t3066052. Has been working great for me.

The main tweak between this and any others is that the Project Fi app is part of the system on this (so it can't be uninstalled, and it starts the Fi activation as part of the onboarding when it's first turned on or after a factory reset)

But yes, I agree it's lame that they still haven't released the image directly on https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images :/
Do you know if there are any other differences in the Fi software? Better for switching networks and such?

maejrep

Jun 25, 2007
Do you know if there are any other differences in the Fi software? Better for switching networks and such?

I don't know of any other differences. I could do a comparison of the unpacked LVY47H image compared to one of the others (like LMY47I) to see if there's any significant differences between them.

Reactions: TokedUp

GeneticJim

Jan 2, 2011
I don't know of any other differences. I could do a comparison of the unpacked LVY47H image compared to one of the others (like LMY47I) to see if there's any significant differences between them.
Thanks but its not necessary. I hate to make you do more work just to look for tiny differences. I am on the Sprint 5.1.1 build and the network switching is not bad. I was just wondering if it would be better on the Fi build.

vboyz103

Apr 9, 2006
I came from Sprint, so this is nothing new to me. However, if I'm not mistaken, I believe that's only true of 3G data. I think LTE and voice can coexist just fine.

I got no data at all when Fi was on Sprint network earlier this morning. I was in a call and attempting to refresh my gmail and it stalls forever during the call. As soon as I hung up, LTE appears and refresh was completed with new emails. :)

dmora01

Mar 29, 2008
Lakeland,fl
My phone has been locked to sprint where I know tmobile is stronger and faster, is not switching carriers. I called today Google but looks like they don't know how to fix issues with project Fi. I am going to try fix me code a see...

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

If I use the code to switch to tmobile, is suppose to go back to auto after 3 hours, or I have to put it back in auto?

nodnarb91

Thanks so much for this!
I kept getting the "your phone has not been activated" message every time I would call out with stock dialer. After trying some of these codes and putting it back to auto, I was able to call out. I really appreciate it. I can finally enjoy Project Fi in peace :) lol

shel692

Dec 20, 2010
Bethlehem PA
2p4\q

HI all. I was wondering if someone could go into the hidden menu settings and grab the smsc, The area is blank as it should be. but touching update fails. Any help would be appreciated
:cowboy:

Wade-0

Sep 11, 2007
Ashland, OR
So yesterday I switched my phone to use Sprint with the code on the OP, but apparently it went back to auto after a while? Because this morning it was back on Tmobile's crappy service.

GeneticJim

Jan 2, 2011
So yesterday I switched my phone to use Sprint with the code on the OP, but apparently it went back to auto after a while? Because this morning it was back on Tmobile's crappy service.

Yea. I believe after 3 hrs or so it goes back to auto. Send feedback in the Fi app with location to let them know of coverage issues with Sprint

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Wade-0

Sep 11, 2007
Ashland, OR
Yea. I believe after 3 hrs or so it goes back to auto. Send feedback in the Fi app with location to let them know of coverage issues with Sprint

Well now I'm not so sure. When I went back home, it went back to Sprint (where I had to force it using the code previously) but it's going back to Tmobile when I'm at work. Is the code tower/cell specific?

GeneticJim

Jan 2, 2011
Well now I'm not so sure. When I went back home, it went back to Sprint (where I had to force it using the code previously) but it's going back to Tmobile when I'm at work. Is the code tower/cell specific?

I think it gets better as time goes on. I wonder if it is that way. My Fi experience has been getting better as the weeks go on.

Arak-Nafein

Sep 9, 2010
344636 = FI INFO
The info in here isn't really all that useful. You can get better/more interesting info elsewhere.

Can anyone elaborate on this? I'd like to know how to view which network I'm currently on. (just to be curious)

Last edited:

nodnarb91

gagb1967

Aug 23, 2010
Duluth, USA
I am also using Phono App. has a little bit more info, and can show you current provider in the bar

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A lot of people in the Project Fi G+ community (for now, only accessible if you are already a Project Fi member) have mentioned having issues with Project Fi not automatically switching between Sprint and T-Mobile, or making a poor determination of which network is the optimal network. For example, at home I know that I have good Sprint LTE service; yet for some reason Project Fi will often have me locked in to T-Mobile, giving me access only to sub-par HSPA speeds.

I ended up flashing the LVY47H image, which is the version that ships on the Nexus 6 if you bought it directly from Project Fi, and I think that helped some of my issues. I finally did see it lock in to a Sprint LTE "geofence" after about 30+ minutes of it switching back and forth. But others may not be so lucky.

Anyway, after some digging around in the Project FI app (Tycho), I came across these phone dialer codes (aka "secret codes"), which can be used to influence which network Project Fi jumps to:

DISCLAIMER: Use these codes at your own risk! I don't know if there are any side effects to these. I am not responsible for any disruption if it any of these break your Project Fi connection!

These are standard dialer codes, so to use them you just open up your (stock) dialer app and type the code. You should not actually hit the call button as if you are actually going to dial the number!

• Force jump to Sprint:
      Code:
      *#*#34777#*#*
      34777 = FI SPR​
    • Force jump to T-Mobile:
      Code:
      *#*#34866#*#*
      34866 = FI TMO​
    • Force jump to the next carrier:
      Code:
      *#*#346398#*#*
      346398 = FI NEXT​
    • Re-enable automatic carrier switching:
      Code:
      *#*#342886#*#*
      342886 = FI AUTO
      NOTE: I don't know for sure, but I think you might have to do this code to reactivate the automatic network switching after using one of the above to force it to jump to a different carrier!​
    • Attempt to perform an automated "repair":
      Code:
      *#*#34963#*#*
      34963 = FI XME (or if you prefer, FIX ME :p)
      I'm not yet exactly sure what this does to repair anything, but it throws up a dialog that says "Updating..." and adds a notification to the shade that says "Configuring your cellular network...". Presumably this is similar to clearing data in the Project Fi app and re-activating.​
    • Get information about the current network:
      Code:
      *#*#344636#*#*
      344636 = FI INFO
      The info in here isn't really all that useful. You can get better/more interesting info elsewhere.​
    Ive been on Fi for 3 months. I don't use the force codes. It seems over time the phone gets better at picking the best service for me.

Thanks.... Um.. I have a feeling there is a lot of necessary thing I need to know which I dont know. How do I unzip a .tgz image file?

I would suggest that you pause your efforts and start reading, and asking questions on the following three threads. You will benefit greatly in the long run, from a little time spent understanding what you are doing, now.

Good luck.

http://xdaforums.com/nexus-6/general/how-to-nexus-6-one-beginners-guide-t2948481

http://xdaforums.com/nexus-6/general/noob-read-adb-fastboot-how-help-t3006500

http://xdaforums.com/nexus-6/general/guide-flash-factory-images-nexus-6shamu-t2954008
    I just wish project Fi would release the factory rom they use on their n6s. They stated it was the same but with minor tweaks for project Fi

Question for you. I've been on Fi for just a couple of days. Switching between TMO and SPR seems pretty slow. And sometimes it hangs on 3G, when LTE is available. "Airplane mode" on/off solves that issue.
    Just because it switches from one carrier to the other does not mean it has been "locked in" to that carrier, or that it has determined that carrier is the best option at the time. It cannot determine signal quality for a carrier without first switching to it. So it's possible that in the very beginning, it might switch back and forth to an incredibly abysmal carrier, before it determines that it should keep the "other" carrier locked in. Don't get too concerned if you see it on a bad network -- until it is "locked in", all it is doing is testing the waters, so to speak.

If you're interested in seeing exactly what Project Fi is doing, you can check adb logs for the Tycho app. It will show when it switches from one network to the other, and will also indicate when it has determined the "better network". It's a long post, but take a look at https://plus.google.com/u/1/+JoeHansche/posts/FpSc9T4jbCn which shows some of the log excerpts you can expect.

How long does it generally take to learn your area and habits?
    It may take 30-60 minutes to fully vet each network in your area and actually "lock in" the best one at that time (for ~3 hours IIRC). After that time expires, or if you go outside of the geofence radius for that locked carrier, it will try to make a new determination for the new time/location. When it is not locked in to a carrier, it has the potential to bounce back and forth between them (and may take another 30+ minutes to once again settle on the best network). But it does keep track of those decisions it has made in the past, and my experience has been that after a week or so, it will start giving the known-better network in that area way higher preference.

All of that is just conjecture based on experience. Nothing "official"