Project Fi Waiting Room

Search This thread

alex.o

Oct 7, 2014
I have my N6 on the way and ordered my Project Fi sim on Friday. They will hopefully arrive around the same time. I requested an Invite in early October and received it about a week later.

SirM2X

Dec 9, 2010
Funny! Signed up on October 30th for no reason whatsoever and I received my invite half an hour ago (November 9th).
I'm on a T-Mobile family plan with 9 other people. I pay $21/month (including taxes and fees) for unlimited talk and text + 2.5GB LTE data. Don't really see a reason to switch to Fi...

jmc2543

Jun 25, 2010
TN
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Just signed up, need to get off of sprint ASAP. How long are people waiting these days? the last post here was over a month ago....any one know if there is still a large backlog?

Hopefully you have good T-Mobile coverage in your area. Fi runs off of a joint combination of Sprint, T-Mo, and WiFi. As far as the wait time goes it all depends on where you live. im in Cedar Rapids, IA and I am still waiting myself for an invite. They seem to be starting at larger cities, as I know Memphis, TN is able to sign up right away.

Last edited:

rochford77

May 18, 2010
Mt. Pleasant/Oxford MI
Hopefully you have good T-Mobile coverage in your area. Fi runs off of a joint combination of Sprint, T-Mo, and WiFi. As far as the wait time goes it all depends on where you live. im in Cedar Rapids, IA and I am still waiting myself for an invite. They seem to be starting at larger cities, as I know Memphis, TN is able to sign up right away.

Sprints service is actually fine in my area. Here is the deal. I am a former spritn employee and my free employee plan expired today (quit in august). Im on a $60 a month plan SERO plan and want to get into fi as soon as possible. More of a price thing then a service thing :)

Fuse8499

Jul 4, 2009
I left Verizon for Fi because T-Mobile is superb in my area. I haven't noticed any drop in data speeds.

mikespe

Dec 19, 2010
I just signed up for Fi yesterday (Jan 18, 2016) and I got my invite today (next day). I live in Rochester, NY. I am not sire if I will sign up though. It seems kind of expensive compared to what I pay on Verizon. If I understand the pricing correctly it's $20/month for your calls & texts and then $10/gig of data. I currently have 10gb More Everything Plan and I am still paying off my Note 4 that I got on Edge. So I pay $126 and change for everything....If I go with Fi it will be $120 for calls, texts and 10gb of data....I already have a Nexus 6P but if I were to do the payments it would even cost more....what are the advantages to Fi considering what I already have?

MiquelFire

Dec 16, 2015
Detroit, MI
I just signed up for Fi yesterday (Jan 18, 2016) and I got my invite today (next day). I live in Rochester, NY. I am not sire if I will sign up though. It seems kind of expensive compared to what I pay on Verizon. If I understand the pricing correctly it's $20/month for your calls & texts and then $10/gig of data. I currently have 10gb More Everything Plan and I am still paying off my Note 4 that I got on Edge. So I pay $126 and change for everything....If I go with Fi it will be $120 for calls, texts and 10gb of data....I already have a Nexus 6P but if I were to do the payments it would even cost more....what are the advantages to Fi considering what I already have?

Wait, you have a 6P already? Why would you need to do the payments? Are you planning to get the 5X or another 6P?

As far as the price, are you really using 10 gigs a month? If your usage is like half of that, you'll be getting credits back for unused data after the first month.

mikespe

Dec 19, 2010
Wait, you have a 6P already? Why would you need to do the payments? Are you planning to get the 5X or another 6P?

As far as the price, are you really using 10 gigs a month? If your usage is like half of that, you'll be getting credits back for unused data after the first month.

I won't need the payments. I am just comparing what google is offering to what I have with Verizon edge. Google seems like the more expensive option to me unless my math is wrong?

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Sorry I missed that part of your reply. How much does Google refund you? $10 for every gig I don't use?

One other question....how long do I have to decide to use my invite to Fi? I want to test it out but don't want to give up my Verizon account until I know it's worth it for me...

MiquelFire

Dec 16, 2015
Detroit, MI
Sorry I missed that part of your reply. How much does Google refund you? $10 for every gig I don't use?

One other question....how long do I have to decide to use my invite to Fi? I want to test it out but don't want to give up my Verizon account until I know it's worth it for me...

They credit you a cent per MB of data you don't use, which amounts to $10 for every gig you don't use.

The invite I got, there doesn't appear to be a time limit, but if there is one, I'll probably hit it as I'm waiting for the pay off price on my current contract to get lower before I make the switch.

g00s3y

May 2, 2009
Fort Myers
www.twitter.com
Signed up about a month and a half ago. Got an invite a couple months before that. Live in Cape Coral FL, service is good (I had TMo before this).

First bill with 5gb data was $74.44, only used 1.7xgb, changed bill to 3gb. Just got my bill for next month, $21 thanks to the credit. Will be about $40 most of the time with how much non wifi data I actually use.

It's a little annoying sometimes when it's trying to "find" a network. But other than that, I really don't have anything to complain about.

funkyboy1281

Sep 21, 2010
Kzoo
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Got my invite last year in August. Tested it for a month but paused it for 3 months. Ended up leaving Verizon and my first real bill was $54 for 3 GB and I ended up using 1.2 GB. So I changed my plan down to 1 GB and I paid $15.50 for this last month. I have no regrets leaving Verizon for the time being since most of my data usage was streaming. I just ended up creating a giant playlist with google play music and just continually add to it and keep it on random. That's how I've managed to keep my data down. Currently at .69 GB with 3 days left.

Fuse8499

Jul 4, 2009
Got my invite last year in August. Tested it for a month but paused it for 3 months. Ended up leaving Verizon and my first real bill was $54 for 3 GB and I ended up using 1.2 GB. So I changed my plan down to 1 GB and I paid $15.50 for this last month. I have no regrets leaving Verizon for the time being since most of my data usage was streaming. I just ended up creating a giant playlist with google play music and just continually add to it and keep it on random. That's how I've managed to keep my data down. Currently at .69 GB with 3 days left.

Same here! I even paid Verizon a $230 etf just so I could get the hell out of their terrible contract.

funkyboy1281

Sep 21, 2010
Kzoo
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Same here! I even paid Verizon a $230 etf just so I could get the hell out of their terrible contract.
I was off contract for close to a year. I was paying $80 for 10GB of data after their month to month discount and my work discount. Verizon is excellent where I live but T-mobile and Sprint have really improved. So I mainly left to save some money.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i have one as well

I, too, have been using Google Fi.
    I live in north Texas, I know someone who works at Google who got me on the short list.
    I got the service along with a new Nexus 6 phone, which was actually indicated as the "(Recommended)" way of doing things when I was going through the sign-up and ordering process (I suppose because they can then ship it to me with SIM card in and ready to go).
    I've been using it since May 8th. There have been some updates to the Connectivity Services app in that short time that has appeared to already improved my experience with the service.
    So far this week, signal has been good throughout my commute (Fort Worth to Dallas and back).
    I haven't strayed far from my daily work schedule yet, so I have no observations to share about the use of open WIFI access points.
    I have made and received several calls, particularly while connected to WIFI. While my initial use of this had issues, it's worked very well since.
    I do feel that some latency and audio quality differences can be noticed when using WIFI calling, but nothing that has made it unsuitable for work use.
    I came from StraightTalk, and I have noticed that my cell signal at a couple locations (ie, my parent's home in the boonies) is weaker than it was with StraightTalk (AT&T towers).
    I'm aiming to use less than 1GB of data a month typically, as I have a lot of access to WIFI.
    I will be traveling to Austin next week and will be observing the service (signal, open WIFI, etc,) closely.
    Yeah, I've had Fi activated for 24 hours now. I got an invite on Tuesday, but a friend of mine works for Google and he got me on the friends & family list I guess.

Basically, it's been spotty. I've had a lot of random data disconnects. Like, while connected to WiFi, the icon changes to have an exclamation point next to it and I have to toggle airplane mode to get it working again. A few times after leaving my office (where the cell signal indoors is very poor, but outdoors is very strong) I've had no data connectivity over LTE, although signal shows as strong. Airplane mode toggle again.

So don't worry about getting invites yet, it appears my friend getting me onto an early list just allows me to help beta test a little more.

On the bright side, when I've commuted last night and this morning, once I had my data connection up, I was able to stream music (both Spotify and TuneIn) flawlessly. No pauses for buffering or anything, which isn't something I could say about my OPO running on AT&T.

FWIW I live in Austin
    After 2 weeks with Project Fi, I'm very satisfied. It's exactly as I anticipated.

I was previously on AT&T, which has a superior network to both Sprint & Tmobile where I live. The network speeds and coverage are better. Now on Project Fi, there are lots of orange, yellows, and reds on the "Cellular network signal" in the Battery stats. The data connection does periodically drop out when I'm in buildings. But I am constantly on either work or home Wi-Fi. Even at the grocery store just now, the N6 automatically connected me to a strong Wi-Fi signal and showed me the secure key icon on the status bar.

According to the Project Fi App, I've used .132 GB with 15 days to go. My bill was $34.41 and it looks like I'll get about $7.50 in credit next month. That's down from $78.55 with Att. Yes, the network is inferior, but there isn't any practical consequence for me. The call quality is fine. SMS/MMS works. I'm sure I'll find problems as I travel, especially driving in rural areas. AT&T was never particularly great in rural areas anyway and it's definitely not worth $600/yr to me to have better connectivity on dirt roads.
    Going to test it out this afternoon.

My initial impressions are good:
    • I'm on Build LMY47D totally stock.
    • I had an update for Google Connectivity Services in the Play Store upon putting in my Fi SIM.
    • voice.google.com redirects me to Project Fi's page now.
    • My previous carrier was AT&T. I transferred my number, and basically instantly I am receiving SMS/MMS/Calls sent to my number in the Hangouts app. I gave them my account # when I requested the SIM several days ago, so maybe they initiate the process then? I don't know. It seemed awful quick.
    • To get Messenger to work, I had to disable "Messages" in the Hangouts app. As outlined here. This apparently removes your ability to receive SMS/MMS in Hangouts. I think it's a tradeoff between the full featured Messenger app and being able to send/receive messages from the PC
    • I can also send & receive SMS/MMS/Calls from Hangouts on the PC
    • I've made outgoing calls with the phone and the stock Android Dialer says either "Dialing" or "Dialing via [my WIFI SSID]". No idea how it's deciding on what network to use.
    • Nothing concerning about call quality. I could hear and be heard just fine.
    • Whoever I call sees my correct phone number on the limited number of tests I ran.
    • According to the Speedtest app, I'm on T-Mobile LTE and getting 6 down/1 up.. The building I'm in has a metal roof and gets terrible reception. I'll try more speed tests elsewhere.

There's still a lot for me to go through and learn. How Hangouts on the PC and Google Messenger and Android Dialer all interact with each other in terms of history and call logs etc, is still unclear. I will probably revise some of this as I understand it better.
    Going to test it out this afternoon.