Project Fi Waiting Room

Search This thread

meissen

Nov 5, 2007
Detroit, MI
www.mifbody.com
Does anyone have a compiled list of what ROMs are compatible with Project Fi / WiFi calling / Network switching / etc? I see Pure Nexus advertises Fi in the title, but not many other ROMs do.

johnciaccio

Aug 20, 2010
Anyone else having problems on the n preview with losing connection when switching networks.

I get the connecting animation and can not get a connection without restarting the phone. Entering the codes in the dialer results in no message about changing. Once I restart the phone it gets es back to normal.

On complete stock n preview.

baiju2012

Nov 13, 2012
Anyone here go from Tmobile to Fi? I'm curious about doing this.

Yes, I recently did. I was on $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan for more than 3 years. But first I tested Fi here in US and in India. It was simply awesome. The only issue for me was leaving the 5gb data with the $30 plan. But I noticed that I was not using more than a GB of data for months. Most of that was due to music streaming. As you can pause the Fi service, it doesn't cost much to test it out. As long as my monthly bill was going to be in the $30 range and I get unlimited calling (which I didn't have on the $30 plan) with 1 GB of data, I was set. Plus you get incredible customer service and simple and open billing. There are features of Fi which makes it one of the best cellular services available in the market today. I wish that Google reduced the price of 1 GB data, so Fi becomes even more competitive. Hope this helps you.

ebyrd23

Mar 15, 2016
Anyone else having problems on the n preview with losing connection when switching networks.

I get the connecting animation and can not get a connection without restarting the phone. Entering the codes in the dialer results in no message about changing. Once I restart the phone it gets es back to normal.

On complete stock n preview.
This happens to me too. I've asked a few different places on here. No avail

jefflikesbagels

Oct 19, 2010
Has anyone noticed that Tmobile band 12 in Orlando area is pretty slow? I get really good coverage with it now, but response times are really slow for loading webpages. In some areas I'm actually better off with band 4, but my phone almost always defaults to band 12 now. I know it's 700mhz which means it naturally won't be as fast, but we're talking going from 40mbps on band 4 to 1mbps or less on band 12.

Joe92T

Aug 19, 2009
New Hampshire
I have had FI for a few weeks now, coming from Big Red.... Honestly I have to say I love the customer aspect of the service, I think this is how service providers SHOULD be. The Website and App are drop dead easy to navigate and operate, Customer service is helpful, the bill is low for me (under 30 a month, because I use less than 1 gig of data a month, so the bill is in the 20s) -- But I would be lying if I said i didnt miss the coverage I got with Verizon.

Sprint + TMobile + Wifi Do Not equal verizon by itself unfortunately... I have regularly had areas where cell service is zero, nadda, zilch, nothing - and my wife has Full bars LTE on Big Red... One of the big things for me was WIFI Calling, but now my wife just Upgraded to a Samsung S7 and she has WIFI Calling On Verizon now too... So she has Big Red + WIFI Calling and Im over here like uhhh... lol

VZW will probably be the first to 5G as well

Last edited:

TiltedAz

Oct 19, 2007
Our household switched from VZ and it was expensive and there were times when we cursed VZ's expensive service for no internet.

For Fi, unfortunately Sprint doesn't bring a lot to the table as I'm almost always connected to Tmobile. Sprint is in financial straits and that probably won't change anytime soon. Hopefully Tmobile continues to improve coverage. Sometimes I have great signal strength but the phone appears to be cycling through towers or coming out of a battery saving mode so there's a delay before I get internet. I wouldn't doubt Google is still optimizing Fi service.

All in all though, Fi has been a great option for me. My bills are consistently less than $30 a month and Tmobile has good coverage in my territory.

marsfan89

Mar 11, 2011
Does anyone have a compiled list of what ROMs are compatible with Project Fi / WiFi calling / Network switching / etc? I see Pure Nexus advertises Fi in the title, but not many other ROMs do.
I can confirm PureNexus and AOSiP work great so far. Will be testing other ROMs as well. Also can confirm Kali NetHunter works great too along with MultiRom

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA-Developers mobile app

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

Anyone here go from Tmobile to Fi? I'm curious about doing this.
The phone I am using was from T-Mobile so yes it works and great too

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA-Developers mobile app

andTab

Nov 20, 2011
Has anybody been able to figure out a way to forward Google Voice to Google Fi?
I am interested in Google Fi but I need to keep my mobile number as well as my Google Voice number.
I would like Google Voice to forward to Google Fi as it currently does to my cell phone, when I don't pick up voice directly.

pcrussell50

Jan 5, 2008
santa barbara, ca
It occurs to me that you don't even need Fi. Just keep your Verizon number and gv or hangouts to receive your gv calls and you'll be fine.

To get the benefits of Project Fi, (automatic switching between tmobile and sprint), you need a a phone number on a project Fi sim, in a project Fi phone. To get a number on your Fi sim, you can port over your Verizon number, port over your Google voice number, or get a new number.

I ported over my gv number to Fi. But every device I own: three iPads, two computers, an old iPhone, and two old Android phones, one with an at&t number and sim, are ALL set up to ring when someone calls my Google voice number, even though my Google voice number is now also my Fi number. So I just answer whichever one is closest to me when I hear it ring. Just install hangouts on anything you want to ring with your gv or gv-fi number.

Does that answer your question?

-Peter

Last edited:

andTab

Nov 20, 2011
It occurs to me that you don't even need Fi. Just keep your Verizon number and gv or hangouts to receive your gv calls and you'll be fine.

To get the benefits of Project Fi, (automatic switching between tmobile and sprint), you need a a phone number on a project Fi sim, in a project Fi phone. To get a number on your Fi sim, you can port over your Verizon number, port over your Google voice number, or get a new number.

I ported over my gv number to Fi. But every device I own: three iPads, two computers, an old iPhone, and two old Android phones, one with an at&t number and sim, are ALL set up to ring when someone calls my Google voice number, even though my Google voice number is now also my Fi number. So I just answer whichever one is closest to me when I hear it ring. Just install hangouts on anything you want to ring with your gv or gv-fi number.

Does that answer your question?

-Peter

No. It does not.

I have:
Number A (current AT&T cell, forwards to Google Voice/Number B if not answered, willing to port to Google Fi)
Number B (Google Voice: rings BOTH Number A and my SIP phone)

I am happy to use Number A for Google Fi BUT
1. I want Number A to forward to Number B if I don't answer
2. I want Number B to ring BOTH Number A and my SIP phone (Obihai) if called directly

That's a very simple use case. WTF does Google mess this up?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i have one as well

I, too, have been using Google Fi.
    I live in north Texas, I know someone who works at Google who got me on the short list.
    I got the service along with a new Nexus 6 phone, which was actually indicated as the "(Recommended)" way of doing things when I was going through the sign-up and ordering process (I suppose because they can then ship it to me with SIM card in and ready to go).
    I've been using it since May 8th. There have been some updates to the Connectivity Services app in that short time that has appeared to already improved my experience with the service.
    So far this week, signal has been good throughout my commute (Fort Worth to Dallas and back).
    I haven't strayed far from my daily work schedule yet, so I have no observations to share about the use of open WIFI access points.
    I have made and received several calls, particularly while connected to WIFI. While my initial use of this had issues, it's worked very well since.
    I do feel that some latency and audio quality differences can be noticed when using WIFI calling, but nothing that has made it unsuitable for work use.
    I came from StraightTalk, and I have noticed that my cell signal at a couple locations (ie, my parent's home in the boonies) is weaker than it was with StraightTalk (AT&T towers).
    I'm aiming to use less than 1GB of data a month typically, as I have a lot of access to WIFI.
    I will be traveling to Austin next week and will be observing the service (signal, open WIFI, etc,) closely.
    Yeah, I've had Fi activated for 24 hours now. I got an invite on Tuesday, but a friend of mine works for Google and he got me on the friends & family list I guess.

Basically, it's been spotty. I've had a lot of random data disconnects. Like, while connected to WiFi, the icon changes to have an exclamation point next to it and I have to toggle airplane mode to get it working again. A few times after leaving my office (where the cell signal indoors is very poor, but outdoors is very strong) I've had no data connectivity over LTE, although signal shows as strong. Airplane mode toggle again.

So don't worry about getting invites yet, it appears my friend getting me onto an early list just allows me to help beta test a little more.

On the bright side, when I've commuted last night and this morning, once I had my data connection up, I was able to stream music (both Spotify and TuneIn) flawlessly. No pauses for buffering or anything, which isn't something I could say about my OPO running on AT&T.

FWIW I live in Austin
    After 2 weeks with Project Fi, I'm very satisfied. It's exactly as I anticipated.

I was previously on AT&T, which has a superior network to both Sprint & Tmobile where I live. The network speeds and coverage are better. Now on Project Fi, there are lots of orange, yellows, and reds on the "Cellular network signal" in the Battery stats. The data connection does periodically drop out when I'm in buildings. But I am constantly on either work or home Wi-Fi. Even at the grocery store just now, the N6 automatically connected me to a strong Wi-Fi signal and showed me the secure key icon on the status bar.

According to the Project Fi App, I've used .132 GB with 15 days to go. My bill was $34.41 and it looks like I'll get about $7.50 in credit next month. That's down from $78.55 with Att. Yes, the network is inferior, but there isn't any practical consequence for me. The call quality is fine. SMS/MMS works. I'm sure I'll find problems as I travel, especially driving in rural areas. AT&T was never particularly great in rural areas anyway and it's definitely not worth $600/yr to me to have better connectivity on dirt roads.
    Going to test it out this afternoon.

My initial impressions are good:
    • I'm on Build LMY47D totally stock.
    • I had an update for Google Connectivity Services in the Play Store upon putting in my Fi SIM.
    • voice.google.com redirects me to Project Fi's page now.
    • My previous carrier was AT&T. I transferred my number, and basically instantly I am receiving SMS/MMS/Calls sent to my number in the Hangouts app. I gave them my account # when I requested the SIM several days ago, so maybe they initiate the process then? I don't know. It seemed awful quick.
    • To get Messenger to work, I had to disable "Messages" in the Hangouts app. As outlined here. This apparently removes your ability to receive SMS/MMS in Hangouts. I think it's a tradeoff between the full featured Messenger app and being able to send/receive messages from the PC
    • I can also send & receive SMS/MMS/Calls from Hangouts on the PC
    • I've made outgoing calls with the phone and the stock Android Dialer says either "Dialing" or "Dialing via [my WIFI SSID]". No idea how it's deciding on what network to use.
    • Nothing concerning about call quality. I could hear and be heard just fine.
    • Whoever I call sees my correct phone number on the limited number of tests I ran.
    • According to the Speedtest app, I'm on T-Mobile LTE and getting 6 down/1 up.. The building I'm in has a metal roof and gets terrible reception. I'll try more speed tests elsewhere.

There's still a lot for me to go through and learn. How Hangouts on the PC and Google Messenger and Android Dialer all interact with each other in terms of history and call logs etc, is still unclear. I will probably revise some of this as I understand it better.
    Going to test it out this afternoon.