[PROJECT][QUESTION] About Nokia 8 Custom Recovery and Unlock Bootloader?

Search This thread

alexspl

Aug 1, 2015

SirGarmaples

Nov 28, 2016
Reactions: Raithlin

mulperi

Apr 25, 2010
Google Pixel 3a
I am sure Nokia 8 will be a legendary fone now with the bootloader finally unlocked. The hw is very good for its price, battery is better than many. All radios work as expected.

Personally I will stick to Oreo but I will clean out all suspicious mess.

Reactions: Delvinci

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I finally rooted my Nokia 8 PROTO with a custom TWRP recovery kindly provided by Chinese 7to forum.
    Here's the procedure I did on my Nokia 8 PROTO:
    1. I managed to extract boot.img manually by using WinHex manually. But I found the Recovery is combined into boot.img when analyzing ramdisk included in boot.img. This made Nokia 8 Custom Recovery difficult.
    2. After maintenance purposed bootloader activated by OST LA, you could flash custom recovery by this command:
    Code:
    fastboot-android flash boot NB1-boot.img
    Yes, that's boot partition instead of recovery partition. (Mine is TA-1012)

Sorry I've put the recovery for Nokia 5 by mistake, now replaced with correct one.

To activate maintenance purposed bootloader, you need to load original stock firmware with OST LA, then click "Edit phone data". When OST LA prompts "Boot FTM mode fail", the maintenance purposed bootloader is loaded.

3. Type this command but do not execute right now:
    Code:
    fastboot-android reboot
    4. Press and hold Volume Up, then execute the command above. Keep holding Volume Up until you see the 7to logo.
    5. The custom recovery doesn't include SuperSU ROOT package. I sideloaded "SR4-SuperSU-v2.82-SR4-20170918204844.zip" to the phone. The sideload option is in "高级" (Advanced in Chinese) catagory. I've never tested magisk on it.
    6. You may want to remove verification feature in recovery. Reboot your phone.

I tested it on a Nokia 8 Retail Phone, it says "verification failed" after I reboot. So I wonder if anything wrong.

Here's the result if you're interested: https://twitter.com/Hikari_Calyx/status/917348942165155841
    ----------SEPARATOR----------

Here's how to enter Emergency Download mode:
    1. Enter Download Mode by using OST LA.
    2. After maintenance purposed bootloader activated by OST LA, type this command:
    Code:
    fastboot-android oem reboot-edl
    In order to enter Emergency Download Mode. It may complex, currently it's the only way to enter Emergency Download Mode without disassembling.
    3. Do something with your phone with QFIL.

I finally untrapped my Nokia 8 prototype, which has an unlocked bootloader.

Although Nokia 8 cannot enter EDL mode (Or 9008) with EDL Cable directly while Nokia 5 and 6 are able to enter EDL mode with EDL cable, I still figured out how to enter the EDL mode on Nokia 8 without any specific peripherals.

With @heineken78‘s nb0tools2016v2, I was able to unpack few of files from Nokia 5/6/8's nb0 firmware from @blackpanther0582, but that's only about bootloaders and rawprogram*.xml and patch*.xml, and I was not able to unpack any further, the program got overflow and terminated.
    These files should be enough for unbrick your phone from full brick.

Anyway, that's off topic.
    After I entered the EDL mode of my Nokia 8 prototype (with provided retail firmware installed), I used Partition Manager from QFIL included in QPST 2.7.460. I attached the screenshots of the partitions.

However, I noticed there's no recovery partition, which makes the TWRP port to Nokia 8 confusing.
    (Although our Chinese Team ported TWRP to Nokia 6 and 5 recently)
    And which partitions are important for bootloader unlocking?
    Since we could enter EDL mode easily, it should be easy to unlock bootloader for Nokia 5/6/8 currently.
    Unlock and Sources don't seem to be coming all ready called them out on it on Twitter in September they said sources will come but it doesn't take months to upload to github or zip it up and share on the Nokia site.. No excuses for this OnePlus can put the source out on day one of release and same day as OTA and we know the controversy around their updates.. HMD just pi**ed all over the Open source community, destroyed the Nokia name and sold users an iPhone... My advice to users that want custom ROMs and kernels buy a different device that respects development and has a huge community around it
    Out of curiosity, which other devices would you suggest?
    Tbh I haven't been following it too closely...I see a lot going around the usual one+, pixel and Xiaomi phones...but what else?
    Most devices are dead now no one is deving on Pixel anymore guessing since the high price and the new A/B partition setup seems to make everything a ton harder. You'll get like 5 kernels and a few AOSP, CM ROMs but that's it.

Xiaomi: Is popular I think but never been interested in any of those devices since sub par camera and super low quality build so not 100% sure.

OnePlus: Seems to be the new nexus but again sub par camera. But they do post the device tree and kernel source on time.

HTC: No one is buying like pre m8 days not much going on over there and source is always delayed.

Samsung: Only Touchwiz ROMs/Kernels. You'll get a few LOS ROMs of Devs work on it but they're a huge hack fest since Exynos is closed source and US variants are truly locked down

Huawei: usually don't post source so no not many devs buy those devices

Sony: For some stupid reason Sony decided to erase the DRM keys when you unlock the bootloader so you degrade the camera Quality + Sony's camera software already isn't the best so it's a big turn off don't see anything posted for latest Sony devices

LG: Depends if they allow the Unlock but most ROMs and kernels are posted if it's unlockable

Essential: Not sure

Razer Phone: No word of Unlock or Source code

The only devices to recommend are OnePlus 5/T after owning a OP3 it had pretty much every rom available. Same goes for the OP5 and I'm sure the T also. But you'd have to make the comprise of the camera if you're coming from something better. (Don't own a Nokia 8 so can't compare)

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

M7 has been in a cupboard for a year plus. Got an M10 and just after passing that onto my son.

I think Nokia are struggling to cope with the promises they've made in the OS updates. Maybe they'll act when all devices are on Oreo. Then again maybe it'll be time to focus on the 2018 devices. We'll see what they are made of next year and that will determine if they earn any loyalty. I know on that front HTC had mine too long.

Well they've been posting updates fast no? Not the fastest to Oreo but right behind them. If they have the unlock out of the box and gave the kernel source in a timely manor their wouldn't be an issue I can see them losing some of the Android Purists that thought this was going to be the next Nexus I myself was so hyped for the Nokia 8 untill I saw no unlock or kernel sources so I just lost interest instantly let's hope they can turn it around

Didn't like the HTC 10? I heard it was a good device shame they didn't deliver on the OS updates still on 7.0 laughable...

I bought a U11 was a nice phone but didn't like Sense anymore and UK updates were slow and source delayed so I just gave it to my mum to replace her aging iPhone 4S :laugh:

I was loyal to HTC Pre M8 I bought the M9 worst device I ever owned guess I didn't learn with the U11 :laugh:

Let's hope Nokia can turn it around a give us a Pixel on a budget with a nice development community around it
    I was reading today this http://neopodapsi.com/how-to-unlock-bootloader-on-nokia-8/
    Is this for real or not? I was very interested in the Nokia 8 if they were unlocking the BL and releasing the kernel sources

Have a look at the Unlock Bootloader link on this guy's website and you'll see that he simply copy pastes the instructions for every device. Probably making you download some malware or such with that MVUnlocker link.

The BL has not yet been officially unlocked by Nokia, and I'm not seeing anywhere other reports of guys who have managed to unlock it before Nokia (HMD) actually does.

I've had this phone for a while already and am also running out of patience... Selling it if the unlock doesn't come till the end of the year.
    I finally rooted my Nokia 8 PROTO with a custom TWRP recovery kindly provided by Chinese 7to forum.
    Here's the procedure I did on my Nokia 8 PROTO:
    1. I managed to extract boot.img manually by using WinHex manually. But I found the Recovery is combined into boot.img when analyzing ramdisk included in boot.img. This made Nokia 8 Custom Recovery difficult.
    2. After maintenance purposed bootloader activated by OST LA, you could flash custom recovery by this command:
    Code:
    fastboot-android flash boot NB1-boot.img
    Yes, that's boot partition instead of recovery partition. (Mine is TA-1012)

To activate maintenance purposed bootloader, you need to load original stock firmware with OST LA, then click "Edit phone data". When OST LA prompts "Boot FTM mode fail", the maintenance purposed bootloader is loaded.

3. Type this command but do not execute right now:
    Code:
    fastboot-android reboot
    4. Press and hold Volume Up, then execute the command above. Keep holding Volume Up until you see the 7to logo.
    5. The custom recovery doesn't include SuperSU ROOT package. I sideloaded "SR4-SuperSU-v2.82-SR4-20170918204844.zip" to the phone. The sideload option is in "高级" (Advanced in Chinese) catagory. I've never tested magisk on it.
    6. You may want to remove verification feature in recovery. Reboot your phone.

I tested it on a Nokia 8 Retail Phone, it says "verification failed" after I reboot. So I wonder if anything wrong.

Here's the result if you're interested: https://twitter.com/Hikari_Calyx/status/917348942165155841

Here's how to enter Emergency Download mode:
    1. Enter Download Mode by using OST LA.
    2. After maintenance purposed bootloader activated by OST LA, type this command:
    Code:
    fastboot-android oem reboot-edl
    In order to enter Emergency Download Mode. It may complex, currently it's the only way to enter Emergency Download Mode without disassembling.
    3. Do something with your phone with QFIL.

I finally untrapped my Nokia 8 prototype, which has an unlocked bootloader.

Although Nokia 8 cannot enter EDL mode (Or 9008) with EDL Cable directly while Nokia 5 and 6 are able to enter EDL mode with EDL cable, I still figured out how to enter the EDL mode on Nokia 8 without any specific peripherals.

With @heineken78‘s nb0tools2016v2, I was able to unpack few of files from Nokia 5/6/8's nb0 firmware from @blackpanther0582, but that's only about bootloaders and rawprogram*.xml and patch*.xml, and I was not able to unpack any further, the program got overflow and terminated.
    These files should be enough for unbrick your phone from full brick.

Anyway, that's off topic.
    After I entered the EDL mode of my Nokia 8 prototype (with provided retail firmware installed), I used Partition Manager from QFIL included in QPST 2.7.460. I attached the screenshots of the partitions.

However, I noticed there's no recovery partition, which makes the TWRP port to Nokia 8 confusing.
    (Although our Chinese Team ported TWRP to Nokia 6 and 5 recently)
    And which partitions are important for bootloader unlocking?
    Since we could enter EDL mode easily, it should be easy to unlock bootloader for Nokia 5/6/8 currently.
    Hi again. Sharp s2 uses exatly same filesystem. Could you make dump of all Proto partitions, so i could compare to default (locked) state. So we will find unlocking bit.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

All we have to find is FIH locking bits. It will work on all nokia, sharps and essential phones. Its only possible with comparing of unlocked and locked devices partitions. Fih is not that top