project SLIMBOX

awibabau

Jan 14, 2021
Yes, I only got this box a few days ago, factory firmware was terrible so I flashed slimbox. After modifying with active cooling, I'm also just noticing how crap the Internet speed is on the box, I have a 300mb connection on the fibre and the box shows on analiti, speedtest and ookla at around 14mb ps download and 3mb upload lol. Something ain't right. I'm too afraid to test ethernet.
Here is perhaps an idea for X96max plus users of putting a raspberry pi case fan inside the box without having to carve half the box away, secure with some strong adhesive.
Edit: Please ignore my bad gluing skills I only had b7000 glue and its stringy and messy
You shoult try ethernet. I have it connected to an AC1500 router through gigabit switch and analiti gives me the full 200Mbps internet and with iperf gives me near 900Mbps when connected to a computer over lan. So ethernet is good. Wi-fi on the other hand is only good in 5GHZ mode. I get ~200Mbps in analiti connected to a AC1500 router in the division next to where i have the box. So WIFI chip is good in 5GHZ. At 2,4GHZ is crap and it's totally logic because i for once have too many things connected in the 2.4GHZ, so interference may be playing a card here. In the 5GHZ mode internet is amazing and i can get ~400Mbps in iperf. In some reviews they said the WIFI chipset of S905x3 is capable of 600Mbps in 5GHZ and they are not far from the truth. But the reach might be small. I have the router in the next division, only a wall is separating it. so there's that.

Talking about USB fan, that small fan does the job? How are the temps? I was going to do something like this

Apr 26, 2016
In this folder that a non atv version who work on Slimbox ATV with remote not optimal but work you install the second apk to have the tile on the home menu like a shortcut.
Yes since now I dont found a working ATV version for X96air too juste any non-ATV version since before november any atv version work but now I dont found one who work . If somebody have one tell US!
Any's Amazon APK
We need the community members to help us on proving a working Amazon Prime video apk for ATV version. If someone has it please share a link or steps to install it.

Bertonumber1

May 17, 2020
Glasgow UK
You shoult try ethernet. I have it connected to an AC1500 router through gigabit switch and analiti gives me the full 200Mbps internet and with iperf gives me near 900Mbps when connected to a computer over lan. So ethernet is good. Wi-fi on the other hand is only good in 5GHZ mode. I get ~200Mbps in analiti connected to a AC1500 router in the division next to where i have the box. So WIFI chip is good in 5GHZ. At 2,4GHZ is crap and it's totally logic because i for once have too many things connected in the 2.4GHZ, so interference may be playing a card here. In the 5GHZ mode internet is amazing and i can get ~400Mbps in iperf. In some reviews they said the WIFI chipset of S905x3 is capable of 600Mbps in 5GHZ and they are not far from the truth. But the reach might be small. I have the router in the next division, only a wall is separating it. so there's that.

Talking about USB fan, that small fan does the job? How are the temps? I was going to do something like this
That's a brilliant idea m8... Yeah the thermals have halved and sit around 40 degrees max now.

xdausr123

Nov 12, 2018
here's my passive cooling mod.

TX5 Plus (Deluxe Edition) (cpu set to performance governor)

CPU Throttling Test
stock heatsink stock thermal tape 73 max
new heatsink with new thermal tape (3W/mK 0.2mm) 69 max
new heatsink with thermal paste (noctua h2) 65 max

Asphalt 8
stock (hovers between 73-75) idle after-67
new sink/tape (hovers between 70-73) idle after-64
new sink/paste (hovers between 61-65) idle after-59

stock heatsink 22*22*5 new heatsink 28*28*8
cpu heatsink makes contact to case heatsink using 1.5mm arctic thermal pad
copper heatsinks with tape on wifi, ram and drive

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Bertonumber1
Apr 26, 2016
Anyone tried to use google voice assistance on ATV. When I tried to open applications like Netflix or Kodi or youtube, it says Opening application on chrome and does nothing. Is there a way to fix this?

Apr 26, 2016
here's my passive cooling mod.

TX5 Plus (Deluxe Edition) (cpu set to performance governor)

CPU Throttling Test
stock heatsink stock thermal tape 73 max
new heatsink with new thermal tape (3W/mK 0.2mm) 69 max
new heatsink with thermal paste (noctua h2) 65 max

Asphalt 8
stock (hovers between 73-75) idle after-67
new sink/tape (hovers between 70-73) idle after-64
new sink/paste (hovers between 61-65) idle after-59

stock heatsink 22*22*5 new heatsink 28*28*8
cpu heatsink makes contact to case heatsink using 1.5mm arctic thermal pad
copper heatsinks with tape on wifi, ram and drive
If you add a Fan then you can reduce the heat created by the box considerably.

wiwi60

May 6, 2012
Oise
freeaddons.free.fr
Hi @All,
Today i test thé spdif out sounds IS ok but when i test dolby 5.1 no dolby format out trouth optical out.
M'y question : 5.1 implented? What about dolby 5.1 sound ans passtrough option in Slimbox?
M'y config x96air p3 with slimbox 10.4

Bertonumber1

May 17, 2020
Glasgow UK
Hi @SlimHouse just so people are aware there is a new revision of the X96max + 2/16gb that uses a different WiFi /ethernet driver, different from the rest. This new box is named X96max+_Q1. All the slimbox custom firmwares boot and install via UBT perfectly however, the wifi and ethernet do not function properly and fade out intermittently.
I have enclosed printout of Aida64 FYI
I have tried to obtain root on this version 20201209 and it will not root anyway shape or form.

Attachments

Apr 26, 2016
Is there a way to fix TV volume control using HDMI CEC enabled on ATV. I tried the 10.4 version for MeCool BB2 pro and it did not control the TV directly instead it controlled the ATV volume. Can this be fixed or we are stuck with ATV volume control only.
Please help.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone