project SLIMBOX

Search This thread

sesdave

Dec 5, 2011
Just installed the latest 11.1 TX9S version on my 2 old Alfawise S92s. Very smooth and quick rom. I was going to replace them but not now - much appreciated. Seen as I liked it I replaced the stock with the latest slimbox version on my X96 Max plus as well. All good.

Last edited:

American_Jesus

Mar 9, 2016
Lisbon
Hi, I been using your rom for quite some time now. it's by far the best performance of all the roms out there.
But i recently stopped use it becaue of Google, I really need a Degoogled device.

I've been removing google apps for some time romunpacker but its hard, sometimes it works sometimes bricks device. I would like to have a rom with F-droid or nothing installed.
I use rom mainly for KODI and youtube/lbra etc etc thats it. There is no need for google framework bloat/spy suck my integrity dry.

I know there are many people out there just like me, wanting a degoogled rom.
If your like me hit "LIKE", so maybe "Author" of slimProject reads this.
It would be so awesome to have the First Android rom free of Google Empire. A real slimdeal.

Maybe a extra rom release as an option which is totally degoogled? ;)
I'm one of those people, but without Magisk will be hard to do it.

I didn't tried, maybe NanoDroid can do this, it works with or without Magisk, removes Google Apps and install FOSS apps (microG, F-Droid...).
See https://gitlab.com/Nanolx/NanoDroid . Try installing trough TWRP.

PS: Make backups, this can probably soft-brick.

Reactions: bilbobaker1

ashagg

• Jan 22, 2005
    New Delhi
    www.dotcomhosts.com
    Sorry If I'm repeating myself...

A95X F3 Slim here

I don't have a USB to USB cable so am forced to use the micro SD card method to install.

This is my first time doing custom ROM's on an Android Box

I made the card by AML burn software ...

My issue is, when I try to update, It just displays "Upgrading" with the droid pic for like 0.5 seconds and then just keeps rebooting to do the same over and over again ...

I tried letting go of the reset button at the EXACT moment when the droid logo comes but still the same ...

Is there I'm doing wrong ? Are the password and secure boot files needed for the sdcard method? if so, how to put them on the card ?

sesdave

Dec 5, 2011

Personally I always use PC dual USB method. If you have any external Hard drives one of them might have one. Just a thought

Last edited:
    Reactions: Domisol

Chaoshead3

Jan 23, 2012
    OnePlus 6
    Hello,
    I'm here to try and help and answer questions (maybe also ask some).

I own and have experience with flashing Slimbox to:
    - H96 Max X3 (the round one with s905x3 cpu)
    - Beelink GT1 MINI-2 (2nd gen with s905x3 cpu)
    - X96 Max Plus Q2 (also s905x3)

All of them flashed with ATV versions of Slimbox.

If you have trouble with installation I might be of help, I flashed all of my boxes with the SD Card method.
    I bought X96 Max Plus Q2 recently because optical output on my H96 Max X3 broke and I need it for my older TV receiver. However this new Q2 box is unfortunately way too recent, and does not have a full-feature Slimbox version yet. The latest one was released, I believe, two days ago on 17th of April in version 11.1, but it is still labeled as TEST. I'm using my TV BOX as a NAS as well as a remote SSH server to access my local network from outside. So I'm stuck without 5.1 surround until 100% functional Slimbox is released for X96 Max Plus Q2.
    Here to talk and help while I'm waiting :)

ashagg

• Jan 22, 2005
    New Delhi
    www.dotcomhosts.com
    Hello,
    I'm here to try and help and answer questions (maybe also ask some).

I own and have experience with flashing Slimbox to:
    - H96 Max X3 (the round one with s905x3 cpu)
    - Beelink GT1 MINI-2 (2nd gen with s905x3 cpu)
    - X96 Max Plus Q2 (also s905x3)

All of them flashed with ATV versions of Slimbox.

If you have trouble with installation I might be of help, I flashed all of my boxes with the SD Card method.
    I bought X96 Max Plus Q2 recently because optical output on my H96 Max X3 broke and I need it for my older TV receiver. However this new Q2 box is unfortunately way too recent, and does not have a full-feature Slimbox version yet. The latest one was released, I believe, two days ago on 17th of April in version 11.1, but it is still labeled as TEST. I'm using my TV BOX as a NAS as well as a remote SSH server to access my local network from outside. So I'm stuck without 5.1 surround until 100% functional Slimbox is released for X96 Max Plus Q2.
    Here to talk and help while I'm waiting :)
    could you help me out a bit please?
    how did you creare the sd card ? I use the burn tool which creates 3 files in the card ... the rom.img , a uboot and an ini file ... but it does not work for me ...

ashagg

• Jan 22, 2005
    New Delhi
    www.dotcomhosts.com
    Update :

apparently it started the Upgrade process once I unchecked the "Erase Bootloader" in the Burn Card app.

Not sure if it will install fine without it but it's almost 50% done ..

fingers crossed.

Update :

Bricked .. lol .. I think I'll have to go out and buy a USB cable :/

Dvalin21

Nov 2, 2010
    OKC
    OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
    Hello, I plan on buying the X88 King, it seem to be the more powerful of the devices. I made the mistake of buying TVision Hub from Tmo and then they decided to team up with google. Not a problem except Youtube TV freezes on the device at full resolution. Yes i could lower it, but it defeats the purpose of buying a 4k devices only being able to watch things in 480p.......Bull I say!!! Anyway, any advice on this would be great. I did see a s905 x4 device, but still seemed under par for the S922x. Thanks

Donaldrum

Oct 15, 2016
    Rome
    Hi all, really nice rom, great alternative to stock. I would like to report a problem that is serious for me. Practically the ENTER key does not work and neither does the OK one, in the bluetoot android keyboard when I try to search for something in the playstore, when I write or edit a document and when I search in the search bar of any browser. Can it be solved? In the stock rom there is no such problem. Then I wanted to know if it is possible to restore the full functions of ColorLedSettings. Thanks in advance

Reactions: Rainey222

Rainey222

Oct 17, 2020
    Hi all, really nice rom, great alternative to stock. I would like to report a problem that is serious for me. Practically the ENTER key does not work and neither does the OK one, in the bluetoot android keyboard when I try to search for something in the playstore, when I write or edit a document and when I search in the search bar of any browser. Can it be solved? In the stock rom there is no such problem. Then I wanted to know if it is possible to restore the full functions of ColorLedSettings. Thanks in advance
    I'm having the same problems with search pages. You enter the search text and the enter or ok button on the keyboard or remote dose nothing.

I have the virtual keyboard hiden, but if I press the AltGr key (that is the right Alt button on my keyboard) that brings up the virtual keyboard and sometimes that enter\search key works for some apps but not in Android setting search or Google homepage search.

Chaoshead3

Jan 23, 2012
    OnePlus 6
    could you help me out a bit please?
    how did you creare the sd card ? I use the burn tool which creates 3 files in the card ... the rom.img , a uboot and an ini file ... but it does not work for me ...
    I definitely use the burn tool, you have to make sure that files you're flashing and the box you have match each other. Then it's just a matter of putting the sd card into the box and starting it up (into recovery i think) and it should begin to work on its own. Also I NEVER use the ERASE BOOTLOADER option, I don't think bootloader is something you wanna mess with, and slimbox sure as hell does not need its own bootloader.

How big is the SD card you have? My 64gb SDXC one does not work because it can only be formatted into exFAT. Make sure you're using an SD card that can be formatted to FAT32. So use sdhc card sizes like 4GB or so

rolimrrx

Jun 5, 2010
    Hello friend, I don't know the specifications of your device, but if you are interested.
    At your own risk. I have a box, T95z plus Aml S912 2.0 GHz octa-core; ARM Mali-T820MP3 2/16 GPU for the year 2016. I have installed all possible Anbroid 9 firmware, without any problems. What I do: In the case of Slimbox, I use the fw sbx_ugoos_am3_pie_v11_1.img, I can also use Tanix TX9S. unpack at fw level 01, delete bootloader.PARTITION, in image.cfg, edit with Notepad ++ delete the line file = "bootloader.PARTITION" main_type = "PARTITION" sub_type = "bootloader", I repackage to fw.img. Use USB burning tool 2.20, uncheck the erase bootloader box. As I said, the procedure I did for T95z plus, I don't know if in other s912 it will be successful. At least, doing so the device does not turn brick and is recognized by HDMI

Systemdown666

Dec 2, 2018
    good night
    I have a beelink gt1 mini and installed the slimbox rom and I have version 11.2 ... But I have a problem with the wifi ... My box stopped catching 5G networks ... how do I solve the problem?

I await help
    Thanks

gr33nst

Jan 11, 2020
    I have installed a few versions of Slimbox on my x88king but I noticed the clock wasn't working properly on it so I switched to a different rom.

Does the newest version (v11) work properly with the built in clock?

Also is there any simple method of installing magisk on the box once you have the rom installed?

(Current rom I am using has Magisk built in.)

Would really like to go back to slimbox.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      @sesdave yesterday I went back to the almost original firmware, because I decided to update, and the suggestion for this weird version of my X96 Max Plus is to use the firmware of a 2GB ram model (X96Max_Plus_20200901-1449). It worked, but it was limited to these 2Gb of ram... Mine is the first one:
      Aj2kwuS.png

My goal is to be able to install EmuElec, which doesn't boot. Even using this firmware, I still haven't had success. It appears that the TV Box has its external boot locked. I already tried to install with SD Card and USB stick.
      X96 Max plus was a box I used as my go to - great price and perforamce with 1GB ethernet . Since the boys in china started playing with versions and whats on board I dropped it. I recommend an HK1 BOX with the 1GB ethernet till they start play with the HW specs of that too. as I found out Slimbox Vontar X3 rom work great on that as does the box after install. The performance for a cheap box its as good as I have used - and it is very cheap for what it is - at the moment. Doesn't unfortunately help you with your current box but its a great alternative for a 4GB/64Gb - 1Gb ethernet s905x3 box. it also pretty small format and looks quite cool. Nice colour says my GF. If u do buy and flash unlike others it the USB 2 port you connect for burning tool. In settings I had to enable devloper/USB debugging before PC picked it up by the way. Also recommend flash Amlogic burning tool from PC with dual USB cable . Never failed for me on any box
      Mr. Metal sir :)

It appears you have an encrypted X88 Pro X3 that you managed to flash Slimbox on? Please, please do share how you did this.

I bought mine a year ago, and gave up on the venture, but now I'm back and really want this thing flashed, because the stock FW is terrible. About a year ago, there were working links to firmwares for encrypted boxes, but now they're dead or gone... Oh noes!

I have Burn Tool working, but can't flash (1% ho-hum, Need PWD, all that), and I have yet to figure out how to boot from SD or into stock recovery (I think it's supposed to work with the reset switch, but so far no donut).

Help me, sir :D
      Hot dang! I may not have succeeded in getting Slimbox on my X88, but hello Vortex!

This firmware worked: https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=982302&st=300#entry96036753
      Install viper4android for slimbox and use Dolby pro logic irs file and the sound boost will be huge.
      What should I do now? It's been standing on this screen for over 35 minutes.
      Hm1jh8t.jpg

X96 Max Plus - 4GB ram / 16 GB (yes! It's crazy!)
      nVHFpT7.jpg

File: sbx_x96max_plus_4gb_atv_v11_3
      Tool: Amlogic_USB_Burning_Tool_v2.2.0_AndroidPC
      Looks bricked to me. Wrong version of rom for version of X96 max plus - there are numerous now. I had same problem - reflashed with standard x96 max plus rom didnt fix it but the stuck screen showed x96 so I returned as defective for refund.
      How do you know that your x96 max plus isn't actually one of those fake and sold as 4GB/32GB when actually it's the 2GB/16GB all along?

At first you won't notice that even with a slimbox ROM (if you don't erase bootloader). But when you install slimbox ROM erasing bootloader you will see if your x96 Max Plus is indeed 4GB or the fake one...
      RY51YwF.png

project SLIMBOX

Multimedia firmware for TV boxes with Amlogic S912, S922X, S905X2, S905X3, S905X, S905W, S905Y2 processors

SLIMBOX ATV and AOSP are two custom firmwares suitable with some modifications for many android TV boxes.
      The main ATV firmware is installed via UBT.

Version 11.5

• Added to developer settings to disable audio transmission to USB devices
      • Added application autostart after sleep
      • Patches of additional functions are replaced with installation from apk
      • Corrected power menu (PIE)
      • New logo download firmware
      • Built-in head search for Katniss version 3.7.0 (disable auto update in the market)
      • Built-in TVLauncher mod, allows you to select other launchers in the settings (ATV)
      • System amendments

Cumulative patch for SLIMBOX

New changes:

Contains:

Supported TV boxes

SLIMBOX ver 8

• Updated google services and apk
      ВЂ Returned the choice in the settings of a dark or white theme
      • Returned additional image settings
      • Updated firmware
      • In AOSP, I returned the recent stocks and closed the menu button
      • Added debug settings
      • Added additional power settings
      • Various system corrections
      I tried out all the Netflix APKs found in this link http://freeaddons.free.fr/public/AML/X96AIR/Apps Apk/Netflix/

They are all the mobile version of Netflix. I have found a working Android TV version of Netflix if the person who manages that link wants to upload it.

Hi @SlimHouse

I'm a contributor to NOVA Video Player, and we've been reported this issue: https://github.com/nova-video-player/aos-AVP/issues/393
      This issue is a bug in your ROM, it declares leanback/television support, without actually providing framework for it.

In this case, you're lacking TvProvider (PRODUCT_PACKAGES += TvProvider). But you should be inheriting device/google/atv/products/atv_system.mk really.

While you're there, you should probably also include LiveTv app, so you get acess to tv input services, like haystack live tv.
      3. Extract boot.img from stock firmware
      You need to have a stock rom for your device.
      Ideally a zipped rom, so that you can extract the "boot.img" out of it.

In case you have an img-file, than you need to extract "boot.img" out of it via Amlogic toolkit:

By this you can extract the stock boot.img from the stock firmware.

This is only good for android 7 images, Android 9 (which most people are using) is totally different.
      To root slimbox you only need patch the current boot.img
      In twrp :
      cat /dev/block/boot > /sdcard/boot.img

Then use magisk to patch the img

Reboot to twrp

Flash the patched boot.img to boot.

Reboot