• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

project SLIMBOX

Search This thread

nokenokex

Jul 30, 2021
Nice to meet you! I'm Japanese and I'm not good at English, so I use google translate.

slimbox TV is very nice.
But there is one problem for me.
That is, I can't log in to my google account and I can't use the google play store for android TV.
I can't log in to my google account, so I can't use google drive or photo.

Most apps can be downloaded and installed by apk, but you can't find Japanese unique android TV apps (TVer, d anime store, etc.) by searching the apk.
That's why I want to install the google play store and download those apps from there.

What I tried:
・ Install google play service from aptoidTV → Cannot log in
・ Install Google from aptoidTV → Google appears in the settings account, but when I click it, it remains a black screen and does not proceed

-Installing openGapps from the zip version of TWRP → There is a log that the installation was successful, but it is not actually installed. Similarly, magisk was installed from TWRP, but it is not installed.
Is it necessary to overwrite the android default recovery with the .iso version of TWRP?

I'm a beginner about android TV BOX, so I'm sorry if I'm doing something wrong.
I look forward to working with you.
I forgot to write it.
My android TV BOX is X96 Max Plus Q2 4G / 64G, and the firmware is the latest slimboxTV ver12.

gorillaz_gr

I forgot to write it.
My android TV BOX is X96 Max Plus Q2 4G / 64G, and the firmware is the latest slimboxTV ver12.
hey friend.

this is the original page for your correct firmware:
FIRMWARE: X96 MAX PLUS Q2 with Amlogic S905X3 SoC (12-09-2020)

try to install the original one, and then follow the instructions for installing slimBOX:
slimBOXtv - X96Max Plus
(on the right part of the page , the second box under the blue title is the option to change the language).

nokenokex

Jul 30, 2021
hey friend.

this is the original page for your correct firmware:
FIRMWARE: X96 MAX PLUS Q2 with Amlogic S905X3 SoC (12-09-2020)

try to install the original one, and then follow the instructions for installing slimBOX:
slimBOXtv - X96Max Plus
(on the right part of the page , the second box under the blue title is the option to change the language).
thank you for your reply.

I tried the method taught by gorillaz_gr.
With the original firmware I was able to log in to my google account.
After that, I flashed slimbox and tried to log in, but I still couldn't log in.
Is it possible to log in to a google account from the Settings-Account screen even with slimbox?

nokenokex

Jul 30, 2021
After that, I was able to log in to my google account if I randomly installed google servises from aptoideTV and other things that seemed to be related to google, such as installing OpenGapps again!
But another problem arose.
I downloaded and installed the Google Play Store (Android TV) from the URL below, but I got the error shown in the picture.
(The smartphone version of android google play worked)

You can't download apps optimized for android TV on the smartphone version of the play store, right?
If possible, I would like to install the Google Play Store (Android TV) and install the app optimized for android TV.

IMG20210731111210.jpg
thank you.

nokenokex

Jul 30, 2021
I'm sorry for the continuous posting.
I also had a mi tv stick, which had a Japanese localized TV version of the google play store installed.

So, first, I installed the TV version of the app (amazon prime video, TVer, etc.) from the google play store on the mi tv stick, and extracted the apk file from it.

When I installed the extracted apk file on X96, TVer, d-anime (a popular app in Japan), and amazon music worked fine.

The google play store still didn't work.
Amazon prime video did not display the right edge of the screen like the picture, and the video could not be played.
(This caused the same problem when I installed amazon prime video from aptoid TV)
Amazon prime video, which is not the TV version, works fine.
IMG20210731134646.jpg

IMG20210731134704.jpg

Do you know the cause of this bug?
Also, do you use the TV version of amazon prime video or google play store?
Or are you using the smartphone version of it?

sesdave

Dec 5, 2011
Hi - getting a data error extracting HK1 box Pie v12 using 7zip. Downloaded file numerous times always get the data error on extract. X96 max plus 4gb and TX9S files no problem. Sorted - used another pC and worked ok

Last edited:

l3g0r

Nov 16, 2013
hi I think that bb2 atv v12 version is not working , I flash twice and the same black screen , no boot.

Is it posible to add a newer android security patch? (as Aidan's ROM)

tombraga

Jan 24, 2017
Xiaomi Poco F3
There is a patch apk to delete Google Services to get slimbox light. Anybody tried?

But only the Services are uninstalled and we keep the Google Playstore working and also the Google Account, right?

Now i can respond it to myself, deletes all datas, too bad. Good, that i did a nano TWRP backup before...

Last edited:

dazedcrazy

Jan 23, 2013
Version 12.7 ATV has the same problem that Version 11.6 had were HDR is just stuck on all the time on a X96 Max Plus Q2. Changing HDR to SDR and SDR to HDR both to off does nothing it just stays on.

lchang.atsoft

Oct 9, 2020
I have a tx3 mini that reboot by itself many times or I'm unable to install apps or apps crash all the times and i can barely use it. Even if i install original firmware with usb burning tool or any other firmware made for my revision of tx3 mini i always have the same problem. I flash the same firmwares on other tx3 mini of same revision and they all work ok. It happen also with a TX3 s905x3 i got and the same firmwares was used on other TX3 s905x3 and never had any problem.
Anyone never had this kind of problem?
It's probably the power supply. Replace that and you will have peace.

jaytec0007

Mar 27, 2017
Version 12.7 ATV has the same problem that Version 11.6 had were HDR is just stuck on all the time on a X96 Max Plus Q2. Changing HDR to SDR and SDR to HDR both to off does nothing it just stays on.
Hi I had the same problem with x96 max + A100, the way I found to make it work is to do a backup of Vendor from original firmware with TWRP then after installing slimbox 12 i went back in TWRP and restored Vendor. After reboot, whit all aps you will have DroidTV Settings, then go in Display and clic on Adaptive HDR and disable it to turn it off. Here is the TWRP I used. You will have some apps from original firmware that will install when restoring Vendor but you can uninstall them after if you want

Attachments

• TWRP_AML_SlimHouse_3.4.0_3.zip
    12.5 MB · Views: 28

hammo650

Aug 3, 2021
I also have the newer x96 MAX + A100 version, was going to do the install as instructed in last post but you mentioned SD card does not work and i need that working so will stick to the factory ROM that came installed. Hopefully Slimbox can cook up a ROM for the A100 version of this box.

jaytec0007

Mar 27, 2017
I also have the newer x96 MAX + A100 version, was going to do the install as instructed in last post but you mentioned SD card does not work and i need that working so will stick to the factory ROM that came installed. Hopefully Slimbox can cook up a ROM for the A100 version of this box.
yea SD doesn't seem to work in v12 for A100, but the firmware is still in the firmware test section from slimbox website, I already sent him a msg about the SD card and the HDR to SDR wont turn off. When I insert an SD card the box will show that an SD was plugin but don't see it inside any file browser app and when looking in the settings in storage it says that SD was correctly ejected. I used an USB drive to backup Vendor from original firmware

Last edited:

hammo650

Aug 3, 2021
You mentioned in a previous post that after restoring vendor the only thing that didn't work was SD card port, can you please confirm the SD port works after flashing as well as BT, WIFI etc, i was also wondering if there is a link to the stock A100 version firmware.

jaytec0007

Mar 27, 2017
It's probably the power supply. Replace that and you will have peace.
I use the same power supply for a while whit other boxes after flashing firmware and didn't had any problems, but just to be sure I try whit a new power supply and problem still there. Its very unusual cause even if I flash whit the original firmware or any other firmware made for my tx3 mini mini v1.6 it does the same. Sometime the box will reboot 3-4 times before I get to home screen and if I browse a USB drive or try to install an app sometime launcher will crash or box will reboot. I also have the same problem with a tx3 s905x3 but much less worse. I had to flash maybe 20 boxes in the past week and they all working good. With the tx3 mini I try everything I know, wipe everything in twrp and flashed right after, or restore a backup from twrp. Also tried more than 15 differents firmwares and still the same

hammo650

Aug 3, 2021
yea SD doesn't seem to work in v12 for A100, but the firmware is still in the firmware test section from slimbox website, I already sent him a msg about the SD card and the HDR to SDR wont turn off. When I insert an SD card the box will show that an SD was plugin but don't see it inside any file browser app and when looking in the settings in storage it says that SD was correctly ejected. I used an USB drive to backup Vendor from original firmware

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think you are paranoid. That's not a good condition to have while trying custom ROMS in non certified android boxes. I mean...if you afraid of catching virus you should not use anything that can identify you on this boxes. I don't know why people try it.

Anyway, paranoid aside, nothing is safe. And those apps malwarebytes claims they are malware is probably due to the fact that all of them have a vulnerability which is running at boot with root privileges. Any app that has root privileges without asking is a vulnerabillity and malwarebytes thinking about your safety (LIE) flag it cause they care.

Just out of curiosity, did you try using malwarebytes with your own android chinese box stock firmware? Cause if you do you will be even more paranoid!! Given stock firmware came with kodis installed and other stuff...

Even Xiaomi Mi Box s has stuff there in the system apps that should scare you!!!
    Hey guys

I have a G30s air mouse remote.
    Running on my x96Max Plus2.
    In slimbox v9 the voice search worked for ATV but not in other apps.

I just noticed in slimbox 10.4 voice search is not working at all.

Wondering if anyone has a fix,
    or if slimbox 12 is any better?
    Working with this remote.

In more settings I search for mic and it finds the device under physical keyboard

SG.Ltd SG Control Mic

But the only setting are keyboard layout
    Hi, I have a G 50s mouse and voice search works for me in slimbox 12.1 normally. X96Max Plus2.
    I'm still running 12.1 on my box and had the problem that after 2 - 3 days of inactivity, the box couldn't connect to the internet and a reboot was necessary to fix it

Giving the box a static IP address in settings solved that. 2 weeks without a reboot and everything works 👍🏻
    Hi,

I have installed latest SlimboxTV ATV version on my HK1 box. All works fine and defently much more smoothly as with original firmware... Great job guys 👍

But I have one problem. I use also QiDianz Mini Wireless Keyboard which works top but if want to enter anything into an input field the the inputed text is not visible in German. It looks like Russian? letters?

Android on HK1 box is configured with German language and keyboard also with German one.

Do you have any idea why I don't see the German entered text?

Thanks a lot...

Update - I should first search, sorry....I found the hint the deep in the settings there is another place where language for the keyboard could be configured. Now it works fine... Sorry again...
    I think you are paranoid. That's not a good condition to have while trying custom ROMS in non certified android boxes. I mean...if you afraid of catching virus you should not use anything that can identify you on this boxes. I don't know why people try it.

Anyway, paranoid aside, nothing is safe. And those apps malwarebytes claims they are malware is probably due to the fact that all of them have a vulnerability which is running at boot with root privileges. Any app that has root privileges without asking is a vulnerabillity and malwarebytes thinking about your safety (LIE) flag it cause they care.

Just out of curiosity, did you try using malwarebytes with your own android chinese box stock firmware? Cause if you do you will be even more paranoid!! Given stock firmware came with kodis installed and other stuff...

Even Xiaomi Mi Box s has stuff there in the system apps that should scare you!!!

The factory image of most Chinese TV boxes are rooted by default, and then running a mix of both Android (Smartphone) & Android (TV) in a state that's not very user friendly (for someone with tech background, then one will understand the UI inconsistency of mixing 2 Android versions on the same box, but not everyone does). Slimbox TV Pie build carefully addresses the UI inconsistency and the result is fantastic so far.

As for untrustworthiness of factory image of many Chinese TV boxes, yes, there is well documented information online about them.

Eg. Kernel backdoor on Allwinner SoC & Amlogic SoC
    Well, backdoor is not malware but it allows malware to come in easy. Worse, it enables take-over by default.

Which is why, I believe these boxes need to be flashed with custom ROM shipped by trustworthy teams & developers.

You pointed out even Xiaomi Mi Box S has stuff scary to people, and I am not that surprised. However, Mi Box S is Google certified (unlike many other Chinese TV boxes), so maybe if you bring it up to Google, the giant would send some people to check on it.

Regardless, if it's software, then it should be fixable. Eg. Armbian Linux developers are building their own kernel and those planted backdoors are gone for good.

================

I think Slimbox TV Pie build is the first Android TV image that makes it as close to smartphone experience as possible (the image is based on Redmi Note 7 Pro, after all). It would be wonderful if custom Kernel is being built for this TV box image to reduce further any vulnerability surface (similar to Custom Kernel for smartphone nowadays). However, considering that Amlogic drivers are mostly close source, it will be a tremendous undertaking to make it work.

We should be grateful to SlimHouse and the effort making Slimbox TV available. I guess if there's enough demand someone knowledgeable enough would step up & meet the challenge of building custom Kernel for Slimbox TV someday maybe 😊.
    RY51YwF.png

project SLIMBOX

Multimedia firmware for TV boxes with Amlogic S912, S922X, S905X2, S905X3, S905X, S905W, S905Y2 processors

SLIMBOX ATV and AOSP are two custom firmwares suitable with some modifications for many android TV boxes.
    The main ATV firmware is installed via UBT.

Version 12.2

• Corrections to the dark theme
    • Corrections in the work of spdif
    • System optimization
    • AOSP keyboard with voice search
    • The city of Kiev in the choice of time zones
    • Sharpness in advanced picture settings
    • Updating built-in applications
    • System amendments

Cumulative patch for SLIMBOX

New changes:

Contains:

Supported TV boxes

SLIMBOX ver 8

• Updated google services and apk
    ВЂ Returned the choice in the settings of a dark or white theme
    • Returned additional image settings
    • Updated firmware
    • In AOSP, I returned the recent stocks and closed the menu button
    • Added debug settings
    • Added additional power settings
    • Various system corrections
    I have found out how to root SlimRom with Magisk:

1. Root SlimRom via the settings
    Then you will have "Superuser" rooting.

2. Install TWRP
    You don't need to, but you can install your TWRP image permanently via the TWRP app:

3. Extract boot.img
    You need to extract "boot.img" in TWRP:
    Code:
    cat /dev/block/boot > /sdcard/boot.img

4. Patch the stock boot.img with Magisk manager app
    Install Magisk manager apk.
    Press the upper install button and select the stock boot.img.
    Magisk will create a patched boot.img.

5. Now unroot in SlimBox settings

6. Flash the patched boot.img in TWRP by selecting install, then image, then choose the file, to "boot"

7. Finally flash Magisk.zip in TWRP

Thats it.
    I tried out all the Netflix APKs found in this link http://freeaddons.free.fr/public/AML/X96AIR/Apps Apk/Netflix/

They are all the mobile version of Netflix. I have found a working Android TV version of Netflix if the person who manages that link wants to upload it.

Hi @SlimHouse

I'm a contributor to NOVA Video Player, and we've been reported this issue: https://github.com/nova-video-player/aos-AVP/issues/393
    This issue is a bug in your ROM, it declares leanback/television support, without actually providing framework for it.

In this case, you're lacking TvProvider (PRODUCT_PACKAGES += TvProvider). But you should be inheriting device/google/atv/products/atv_system.mk really.

While you're there, you should probably also include LiveTv app, so you get acess to tv input services, like haystack live tv.