• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

project SLIMBOX

Search This thread

TorqueWrench001

Dec 12, 2010
Philadelphia
Hello @SlimHouse Your ROMs rock thank you! I recently upgraded to version 12.1 of PIE on my X96MAX+2 boxes (I have 4). I can't get the Samba feature to show the boxes on my windows 10 PC. I can see all the other shares on the network from the PC and I can see the X96 Samba shares from my android phone, using MIxplorer. Previoulsy I had version 11.6 pie and I was able to see the X96 Samba share on the windows 10 machine. I do have the File Server box checked and a username and password setup. I've done a good bit of searching and checked and applied any windows 10 feature adjustments, which had really already been implemented. Anyone else experiencing this and got a fix? I'm stumped for now.

Edit: I also tried from my windows 7 PC. That PC also does not see the X96 boxes on the network either. I did try LAN Drive app on one of the boxes, and the PC was able to see the X96 and access the folders and files. So I don't think the issue is with the PC. I'm hoping there is a way to get this to work natively with the SlimRom Samba feature. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

vag13

Oct 13, 2020
I have a problem with a TvBox (H9x3). After a few minutes the screen goes pink/purple.
I tried to change the "Color Space" to RGB but automatically switches to YCbCr444 after a few minutes.
Also tried with different HDMI port and cable.

Firmware version: 12.1

SlimHouse

Dec 30, 2009
Moscow
Hello @SlimHouse Your ROMs rock thank you! I recently upgraded to version 12.1 of PIE on my X96MAX+2 boxes (I have 4). I can't get the Samba feature to show the boxes on my windows 10 PC. I can see all the other shares on the network from the PC and I can see the X96 Samba shares from my android phone, using MIxplorer. Previoulsy I had version 11.6 pie and I was able to see the X96 Samba share on the windows 10 machine. I do have the File Server box checked and a username and password setup. I've done a good bit of searching and checked and applied any windows 10 feature adjustments, which had really already been implemented. Anyone else experiencing this and got a fix? I'm stumped for now.

Edit: I also tried from my windows 7 PC. That PC also does not see the X96 boxes on the network either. I did try LAN Drive app on one of the boxes, and the PC was able to see the X96 and access the folders and files. So I don't think the issue is with the PC. I'm hoping there is a way to get this to work natively with the SlimRom Samba feature. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• 2021-09-26_223629.png
    2021-09-26_223629.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 58

TorqueWrench001

Dec 12, 2010
Philadelphia
Hello @SlimHouse, thank you for replying. I already have had those options turned on for some time, to get the other shares on my system to become visible, and it was working prior to upgrading to version 12. I was hoping there was something else I might be missing perhaps in the ROM settings that might be affecting this.
Do you think there is anything else I can do?

SMB.PNGSambaSetting.jpg

Rainey222

Oct 17, 2020
Reboot the windows 10 PC and see if they show up. I'm running Windows 8 and every once in a while the Simba shares just disappear and they won't show up until I reboot the PC.

TorqueWrench001

Dec 12, 2010
Philadelphia
Reboot the windows 10 PC and see if they show up. I'm running Windows 8 and every once in a while the Simba shares just disappear and they won't show up until I reboot the PC.
Aye, thanks for replying. Yes, rebooted the PC and the X96's and the router a number of times. I have four other computers in the network besides the 4 X96 boxes. All the computers show up on the network. The X96 boxes do not.

avro04

Jul 31, 2017
Hello @SlimHouse
I have problem with adding Google account. Add email - OK, add password - OK but ending with error message "Can't add acconut" with "Again" button.

Anybody have solution? Any idea how to add Google account?
Thank you.

X96Air_P2 (4/32GB)
Slimbox 12.1 of ATV

TorqueWrench001

Dec 12, 2010
Philadelphia

TorqueWrench001

Dec 12, 2010
Philadelphia
Hello, I found a workaround, in case someone else wants it. I created "Network Place" to the internal storage folder, for each of the X96MAX+2 boxes, and that did allow me access from the PC. Weird that I can access that way but the X96MAX+2 boxes don't show up in the network folder.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think you are paranoid. That's not a good condition to have while trying custom ROMS in non certified android boxes. I mean...if you afraid of catching virus you should not use anything that can identify you on this boxes. I don't know why people try it.

Anyway, paranoid aside, nothing is safe. And those apps malwarebytes claims they are malware is probably due to the fact that all of them have a vulnerability which is running at boot with root privileges. Any app that has root privileges without asking is a vulnerabillity and malwarebytes thinking about your safety (LIE) flag it cause they care.

Just out of curiosity, did you try using malwarebytes with your own android chinese box stock firmware? Cause if you do you will be even more paranoid!! Given stock firmware came with kodis installed and other stuff...

Even Xiaomi Mi Box s has stuff there in the system apps that should scare you!!!
    Hey guys

I have a G30s air mouse remote.
    Running on my x96Max Plus2.
    In slimbox v9 the voice search worked for ATV but not in other apps.

I just noticed in slimbox 10.4 voice search is not working at all.

Wondering if anyone has a fix,
    or if slimbox 12 is any better?
    Working with this remote.

In more settings I search for mic and it finds the device under physical keyboard

SG.Ltd SG Control Mic

But the only setting are keyboard layout
    Hi, I have a G 50s mouse and voice search works for me in slimbox 12.1 normally. X96Max Plus2.
    I'm still running 12.1 on my box and had the problem that after 2 - 3 days of inactivity, the box couldn't connect to the internet and a reboot was necessary to fix it

Giving the box a static IP address in settings solved that. 2 weeks without a reboot and everything works 👍🏻
    Hi,

I have installed latest SlimboxTV ATV version on my HK1 box. All works fine and defently much more smoothly as with original firmware... Great job guys 👍

But I have one problem. I use also QiDianz Mini Wireless Keyboard which works top but if want to enter anything into an input field the the inputed text is not visible in German. It looks like Russian? letters?

Android on HK1 box is configured with German language and keyboard also with German one.

Do you have any idea why I don't see the German entered text?

Thanks a lot...

Update - I should first search, sorry....I found the hint the deep in the settings there is another place where language for the keyboard could be configured. Now it works fine... Sorry again...
    I think you are paranoid. That's not a good condition to have while trying custom ROMS in non certified android boxes. I mean...if you afraid of catching virus you should not use anything that can identify you on this boxes. I don't know why people try it.

Anyway, paranoid aside, nothing is safe. And those apps malwarebytes claims they are malware is probably due to the fact that all of them have a vulnerability which is running at boot with root privileges. Any app that has root privileges without asking is a vulnerabillity and malwarebytes thinking about your safety (LIE) flag it cause they care.

Just out of curiosity, did you try using malwarebytes with your own android chinese box stock firmware? Cause if you do you will be even more paranoid!! Given stock firmware came with kodis installed and other stuff...

Even Xiaomi Mi Box s has stuff there in the system apps that should scare you!!!

The factory image of most Chinese TV boxes are rooted by default, and then running a mix of both Android (Smartphone) & Android (TV) in a state that's not very user friendly (for someone with tech background, then one will understand the UI inconsistency of mixing 2 Android versions on the same box, but not everyone does). Slimbox TV Pie build carefully addresses the UI inconsistency and the result is fantastic so far.

As for untrustworthiness of factory image of many Chinese TV boxes, yes, there is well documented information online about them.

Eg. Kernel backdoor on Allwinner SoC & Amlogic SoC
    Well, backdoor is not malware but it allows malware to come in easy. Worse, it enables take-over by default.

Which is why, I believe these boxes need to be flashed with custom ROM shipped by trustworthy teams & developers.

You pointed out even Xiaomi Mi Box S has stuff scary to people, and I am not that surprised. However, Mi Box S is Google certified (unlike many other Chinese TV boxes), so maybe if you bring it up to Google, the giant would send some people to check on it.

Regardless, if it's software, then it should be fixable. Eg. Armbian Linux developers are building their own kernel and those planted backdoors are gone for good.

================

I think Slimbox TV Pie build is the first Android TV image that makes it as close to smartphone experience as possible (the image is based on Redmi Note 7 Pro, after all). It would be wonderful if custom Kernel is being built for this TV box image to reduce further any vulnerability surface (similar to Custom Kernel for smartphone nowadays). However, considering that Amlogic drivers are mostly close source, it will be a tremendous undertaking to make it work.

We should be grateful to SlimHouse and the effort making Slimbox TV available. I guess if there's enough demand someone knowledgeable enough would step up & meet the challenge of building custom Kernel for Slimbox TV someday maybe 😊.
    RY51YwF.png

project SLIMBOX

Multimedia firmware for TV boxes with Amlogic S912, S922X, S905X2, S905X3, S905X, S905W, S905Y2 processors

SLIMBOX ATV and AOSP are two custom firmwares suitable with some modifications for many android TV boxes.
    The main ATV firmware is installed via UBT.

Version 12.2

• Corrections to the dark theme
    • Corrections in the work of spdif
    • System optimization
    • AOSP keyboard with voice search
    • The city of Kiev in the choice of time zones
    • Sharpness in advanced picture settings
    • Updating built-in applications
    • System amendments

Cumulative patch for SLIMBOX

New changes:

Contains:

Supported TV boxes

SLIMBOX ver 8

• Updated google services and apk
    ВЂ Returned the choice in the settings of a dark or white theme
    • Returned additional image settings
    • Updated firmware
    • In AOSP, I returned the recent stocks and closed the menu button
    • Added debug settings
    • Added additional power settings
    • Various system corrections
    I have found out how to root SlimRom with Magisk:

1. Root SlimRom via the settings
    Then you will have "Superuser" rooting.

2. Install TWRP
    You don't need to, but you can install your TWRP image permanently via the TWRP app:

3. Extract boot.img
    You need to extract "boot.img" in TWRP:
    Code:
    cat /dev/block/boot > /sdcard/boot.img

4. Patch the stock boot.img with Magisk manager app
    Install Magisk manager apk.
    Press the upper install button and select the stock boot.img.
    Magisk will create a patched boot.img.

5. Now unroot in SlimBox settings

6. Flash the patched boot.img in TWRP by selecting install, then image, then choose the file, to "boot"

7. Finally flash Magisk.zip in TWRP

Thats it.
    I tried out all the Netflix APKs found in this link http://freeaddons.free.fr/public/AML/X96AIR/Apps Apk/Netflix/

They are all the mobile version of Netflix. I have found a working Android TV version of Netflix if the person who manages that link wants to upload it.

Hi @SlimHouse

I'm a contributor to NOVA Video Player, and we've been reported this issue: https://github.com/nova-video-player/aos-AVP/issues/393
    This issue is a bug in your ROM, it declares leanback/television support, without actually providing framework for it.

In this case, you're lacking TvProvider (PRODUCT_PACKAGES += TvProvider). But you should be inheriting device/google/atv/products/atv_system.mk really.

While you're there, you should probably also include LiveTv app, so you get acess to tv input services, like haystack live tv.