Project Stable Boot for ICSROM [09 Feb 2013]

Search This thread

francois64

May 8, 2009
Pau ( France )
Hi you all
I'm testing this ROM, flashed yesterday and as a result having these issues :
- Display on screen is not "stable", i should say "trembling".
- WIFI doesn't work
- sometime, impossible to wake up the phone from idle mode with power button.
that's all i've noticed.

Pistolaobr

May 16, 2011
Araxá
Hi you all
I'm testing this ROM, flashed yesterday and as a result having these issues :
- Display on screen is not "stable", i should say "trembling".
- WIFI doesn't work
- sometime, impossible to wake up the phone from idle mode with power button.
that's all i've noticed.

Screen problems cannot be solved.
Wifi is not working cause you didnt installed the vendor lite, download it from the icsrom topic.
wake up issues can be fixed too, look at the icsrom how.

sendust7

Oct 24, 2011
California
Progress and Status

In keeping with my latest plan to use MROM's ICS boot image as baseline for overhauling the ICSROM boot image, I did some more analysis and testing.

Here is my Araxis Merge folder comparison between ICSROM-146 system and MROM ICS 20121114 system: http://www.mediafire.com/file/92rda...CSROM-146_System_vs_MROM-20121114_System.html

Note from this comparison that ICSROM and MROM ICS are very different ROMs in just about every way.

When booting with MROM's ramdisk, ICSROM actually gets to boot animation, meaning (at least) that the system partition was mounted.

But unfortunately the init process did not get far enough for Windows to recognize my phone. So I booted to Ubuntu and got logcat working --- though not without adb enabled in build.prop:

Code:
#sendust7
#persist.sys.usb.config=mass_storage
persist.sys.usb.config=adb
#sendust7

Here is logcat: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?bixqitqop371blw

Note on Line 442 the first fatal error (SIGSEGV) when init attempted to load framework and libs.

But since the framework and lib structures are very different across ROMs, I was not surprised at these results.

I still think that successfully booting ICSROM-146 with MROM's boot image(s) could become a reality, though probably not without modifications to ICSROM. But again, it’s not my ROM.

I really hope they succeed on the ICS/JB kernel port. That would help a bunch.;)

Last edited:

dattafilthyd

Mar 5, 2012
Thank you

Goddamn Thanks to you i could finally use the icsrom.
I couldn't boot the 1.4.6 version.
And with your fix i could boot it without any issues Finally!
Thanks again.:D:good:

Reactions: goxon and sendust7

dattafilthyd

Mar 5, 2012
SDcard boot image for 1.4.6 version rev00

I found the boot image for icsrom to boot from sdcard which you have posted on the "dual boot standalone" thread.
supposedly it had to work but just cheacked again the boot image was named "boot-icsrom-1.4.3-sd.img". which obviously did not work for the 1.4.6 version on the sdcard.

My question here is that, "have you made a boot.img file to boot the 1.4.6 icsrom from the sdcard for dual-boot"?

If so, could you kindly post it here. (This is what is keeping me from selling my atrix 4g.)

Thanks in advance.

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III
I found the boot image for icsrom to boot from sdcard which you have posted on the "dual boot standalone" thread.
supposedly it had to work but just cheacked again the boot image was named "boot-icsrom-1.4.3-sd.img". which obviously did not work for the 1.4.6 version on the sdcard.

My question here is that, "have you made a boot.img file to boot the 1.4.6 icsrom from the sdcard for dual-boot"?

If so, could you kindly post it here. (This is what is keeping me from selling my atrix 4g.)

Thanks in advance.

Go read post #1 before posting a question that has already been answered and is available for download

Sent from my MB886 using xda app-developers app

andresrivas

Aug 4, 2010
Córdoba
He's talking about the modified img to boot from the sdcard. I couldn't find it aswell (if it's effectible there, then I apologize for this)

Enviado desde mi MB860 usando Tapatalk 2

sendust7

Oct 24, 2011
California
He's talking about the modified img to boot from the sdcard. I couldn't find it aswell (if it's effectible there, then I apologize for this)

Enviado desde mi MB860 usando Tapatalk 2

Thanks in advance.

Hi... I may have a boot-icsrom-1.4.6-sd.img in my archives. I will look for it tomorrow :)

dattafilthyd

Mar 5, 2012
!

Go read post #1 before posting a question that has already been answered and is available for download

Sent from my MB886 using xda app-developers app

Please read post #1 till post #172. The sdcard boot image rev00 for dual booting is not presented.

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

Hi... I may have a boot-icsrom-1.4.6-sd.img in my archives. I will look for it tomorrow :)

Oh. Thanks please do.
And also, if you have created a sdcard img for the latest kernel alpha build, That would be really helpful.

sendust7

Oct 24, 2011
California
boot-icsrom-146-Rev00-sd.zip

Here is ICSROM 1.4.6 boot image Rev00 for SD in flashable zip: http://www.mediafire.com/download/t1o1i75ui4652ud/boot-icsrom-146-Rev00-sd.zip

This image is about a year old and I do not recall testing it --- at least not recently. Please use with caution.

I also recommend reviewing my OP: Dual Boot Simplified and Standalone: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2124668 as it contains some very helpful info.

Presently I am conducting some experiments dual-booting stock GB 2.3.6 (emmc) with CM10 SuperLite (sd).

---sendust7

Last edited:
Reactions: andresrivas

dattafilthyd

Mar 5, 2012
No Luck

Here is ICSROM 1.4.6 boot image Rev00 for SD in flashable zip: http://www.mediafire.com/download/t1o1i75ui4652ud/boot-icsrom-146-Rev00-sd.zip

This image is about a year old and I do not recall testing it --- at least not recently. Please use with caution.

I also recommend reviewing my OP: Dual Boot Simplified and Standalone: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2124668 as it contains some very helpful info.

Presently I am conducting some experiments dual-booting stock GB 2.3.6 (emmc) with CM10 SuperLite (sd).

---sendust7

1.Didn't boot up. As you know the issue (fading moto sign followed by blank screen). Guess no luck with this, did it work for you?

2.Have you made another version, considering the latest kernel https://www.dropbox.com/sh/npbgtozd4w0ahiv/EsVjlIomGJ/kernel-2014_03_27_16_07_atrics.zip, which works for the 1.4.6 ICSROM ?

3.Great that your working on superlite.
But the thing is superlite cm10 is nice but the gaming performance is very bad, the ICSROM gives very high frame rate and performance for gaming(Running Asphalt 8 at very high- runs smoothly)

(And the dual boot thread, I have reviewed all the posts. We have talked before on it, about problems dual booting ICSROM.)

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

Dual boot Issue even when ICSROM hosted in the internal memory:

I will detail it in steps i did...

1.I has neutrino(2.9) running in the internal, i pushed it to the SDcard with "copy rom".

2.I installed ICSROM on the internal and played around for a bit.

3. Later to jump to neutrino i used boot emporium to flash the sd image for neutrino and it booted successfully.

4.But when I wanted to boot ICSROM again i had trouble.
a.I tried flashing the rev00 flashable zip that you have presented in the #1 post
b.Used boot emporium to flash icsrom image and later rev00 flash.
c.live switch with the boot image placed in "ROM1" folder using the boot-rom.sh script.
d.advanced restore of boot from a cwm backup i had created before switching to neutrino.

None of it worked so could not boot back Icsrom no matter what.
Anything I am doing wrong?

Last edited:

sendust7

Oct 24, 2011
California
1.Didn't boot up. As you know the issue (fading moto sign followed by blank screen). Guess no luck with this, did it work for you?

2.Have you made another version, considering the latest kernel https://www.dropbox.com/sh/npbgtozd4w0ahiv/EsVjlIomGJ/kernel-2014_03_27_16_07_atrics.zip, which works for the 1.4.6 ICSROM ?

3.Great that your working on superlite.
But the thing is superlite cm10 is nice but the gaming performance is very bad, the ICSROM gives very high frame rate and performance for gaming(Running Asphalt 8 at very high- runs smoothly)

(And the dual boot thread, I have reviewed all the posts. We have talked before on it, about problems dual booting ICSROM.)

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

Dual boot Issue even when ICSROM hosted in the internal memory:

I will detail it in steps i did...

1.I has neutrino(2.9) running in the internal, i pushed it to the SDcard with "copy rom".

2.I installed ICSROM on the internal and played around for a bit.

3. Later to jump to neutrino i used boot emporium to flash the sd image for neutrino and it booted successfully.

4.But when I wanted to boot ICSROM again i had trouble.
a.I tried flashing the rev00 flashable zip that you have presented in the #1 post
b.Used boot emporium to flash icsrom image and later rev00 flash.
c.live switch with the boot image placed in "ROM1" folder using the boot-rom.sh script.
d.advanced restore of boot from a cwm backup i had created before switching to neutrino.

None of it worked so could not boot back Icsrom no matter what.
Anything I am doing wrong?

Glad to know you are making good use of my dual-boot tools. And the detail you provided above is very helpful.

I am not sure what to make of this behavior since I've been off ICSROM for a year, busy with job and family. But time permitting, I will try to investigate :)

dattafilthyd

Mar 5, 2012
So smartlite is working :)

Glad to know you are making good use of my dual-boot tools. And the detail you provided above is very helpful.

I am not sure what to make of this behavior since I've been off ICSROM for a year, busy with job and family. But time permitting, I will try to investigate :)

Yes of course your dual boot tools have been of at most use for me. Thanks again

For now. Take care. And follow up when time permits.

[Offtopic]
Till then I want to report success on dual booting smartlite 10.1 emcc and neutrino sdcard.
As for the gaming performance I improved it by:

1. installing the latest 10.1 kernel https://www.dropbox.com/sh/npbgtozd4w0ahiv/1NldhJx93N/kernel-2014_03_27_16_06_cm10_1.zip

2. Intalled game booster https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.burakgon.gamebooster2

3. Finally installed Seeder https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lcis.seeder

And voila I had a very fast lag free android performance and gaming. Cheers!

Just one thing. Let me know when you successfully create an sdcard boot image for smartlite 10.1's latest kernel. (Again if time permits).
Thanks.

sendust7

Oct 24, 2011
California
ICSROM 1.4.6 for SD

Porting ICSROM to SD is consistent with what I have done for GB 2.3.x, CM7, CM9 and CM10. Generally speaking, I only change the filesystem mounts, though for CM10 I found it necessary to tweak the init process in ramdisk.

ICSROM 1.4.6 for SD: https://www.mediafire.com/?3s2ly838tutawaz

This ROM is tested working on my (new) A4G. Install log:

1. CWM Nandroid Backup ROM1 (emmc)

2. Flash SmartPart from /emmc/Download with Samsung 32GB Class 10 SD. See http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2124668

3. Flash ICSROM 1.4.6 for SD (includes Rev00 boot.img)

4. Reboot and wait 3 to 5 minutes for system to build /cache and /data.

As with any ROM, cold-start boots are much faster than the first. With ICSROM, it may take several of these for the system to stabilize. For me, temporary instabilities were characterized by certain buttons either not working or performing the functions of other buttons.

Here is a video (55MB download) showing ICSROM booting from SD: http://www.mediafire.com/watch/jd296abfduqjr1d/VID_20140403_093812.mp4

Elapsed time from power on to home screen is less than 60 seconds. Note the 15-20 second interval of blank screen.

With ICSROM, you must flash Vendor Lite to get wifi etc…

ICSROM_Vendor_Lite_v1.1.zip: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23060877489999872

Note from Vendor Lite’s “updater-script” that vendor.img is pushed to /dev/block/mmcblk0p13. This action will overwrite all pre-existing information on that partition. So if there is already ROM1 on emmc with information on /dev/block/mmcblk0p13, flashing Vendor Lite may cause compatibility issues. In my case, ROM1 = Stock GB 2.3.6. I performed a quick compatibility test by booting ROM1 via Emporium and retesting browser and Play Store. Both apps still worked perfectly.

To boot ROM2 (SD) = ICSROM 1.4.6, flash ICSROM 1.4.6 Rev00 boot.img contained here (same as before): http://www.mediafire.com/download/t1o1i75ui4652ud/boot-icsrom-146-Rev00-sd.zip

Notes on /vendor partition

There have been discussions about creating another partition on SD for /vendor (or /osh as it is sometimes called). But only a maximum of four primary partitions is allowed, and in the case of dual boot, there are already four primary partitions on SD: FAT32 followed by /system, /cache and /data.

Theoretically it is possible to create an “extended” partition from a primary partition. This would allow creation of an unlimited number of "logical" partitions under the extended partition. But I have not travelled very far down this road. I do know from the past that attempting this on Android was problematic.

And if it were possible to put /vendor on SD along with FAT32, /system, /cache and /data, it would be necessary to further modify boot-sd.img to redirect the /vendor filesystem mount to SD.

Disclaimer: Standard disclaimers apply.

Credits: upndwn4par (ICSROM 1.4.6 and Vendor Lite)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to… Project Stable Boot for ICSROM!​

It all started on 05 Feb 2013 when an xda member reported that the ICSROM boot images featured in Atrix Boot Emporium V3.0: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2124668

did not work: Dreaded Big-M followed by blank screen. No boot animation, even after several minutes, and no matter where the ROM was hosted, whether EMMC (standard) or SD (custom).

I started to wonder if “Dual Boot Atrix: Simplified and Standalone” was morphing into “Complicated and Co-dependent”.

So I duplicated the problem and documented my findings here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2124668&page=2

Then I unpacked the ICSROM 146 boot image and tore into the /ramdisk directory. Ramdisk is that part of the Android boot image that initializes your ROM at boot time via multiple “init*.rc” (run command) scripts written in the Android “init” language.

Then, several days later, it happened:
    I experienced a significant breakthrough with ICSROM on my AT&T Atrix
    I discovered mainly that:
    • Ramdisk references approximately twenty different components (functions and services) that do not exist
    • Ramdisk does not reference several other components that DO exist
    • Memory allocations in the ICSROM 146 kernel command string differ significantly from default
    Perhaps some or all of the missing components are (or were) available via legacy Motorola OTA updates. But if Motorola is done with ICS for Atrix 4g, then I think we’re done with the OTA updates.

So I decided to yank most of the init*.rc code containing broken references.

Also, I noticed that init.olympus.rc launches some encryption-related functions at boot time, whereas MROM ICS does not. So I yanked these as well. Then I quickly repacked the boot image and voila… ICSROM came up. Then I put my phone (and myself) to sleep.

09 Feb, 0430 PST: Disconnected charger, woke the phone and observed battery at 99%. Put phone back to sleep. Fifteen minutes later, woke the phone and observed battery at 98% --- only a 1% drop. Repeated the same test multiple times and got the same results.

I began to dream of 24 hour battery life again, lol.

I also noticed something related --- my phone was running much cooler, even when not in sleep mode. So later in the morning, I conducted several more experiments:

CWM factory reset (wipe /data and /cache), re-flash ICSROM-146-Rebuild.zip and reboot. Big-M followed by blank screen, as expected.

Next, unpack and repack ICSROM 146 boot image. Here’s the effect: Since my “modify-boot” tool set does not include a kernel command line, it effectively wipes any pre-existing command line in boot.img. So the only functional difference between the “stock” ICSROM 146 boot.img and the repacked one is the absence of the following command string:

Code:
    Command line: mem=384M@0M nvmem=128M@384M mem=512M@512M vmalloc=256M video=tegrafb console=null usbcore.old_scheme_first=1 tegraboot=sdmmc tegrapart=mbr:d00:100:800,kpanic:2100:400:800 security=tomoyo mot_prod=1 androidboot.serialno=TA20703SX2

By contrast, the kernel command line built into my ROM is:

Code:
    root@olympus:/ # more /proc/cmdline
    more /proc/cmdline
    mem=320M@0M nvmem=192M@320M mem=512M@512M vmalloc=320M video=tegrafb console=null usbcore.old_scheme_first=1 tegraboot=s
    dmmc tegrapart=mbr:1100:100:800,kpanic:2500:400:800 security=tomoyo mot_prod=1 androidboot.serialno=TA2070GKY6
    root@olympus:/ #

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that if no kernel command line is present in boot.img, the ramdisk “init” function reads the ROM default /proc/cmdline string after the kernel boots.

Note that the ICSROM 146 memory allocations differ significantly from those in /proc/cmdline.

Anyway, I repeated my previous experiment: CWM wipe /cache and /data, re-flash 146, power down and fastboot the custom ICSROM 146 boot image --- the only change being the absence of a kernel command line.

Results: ICSROM came up. Power up to Welcome screen was less than 3 minutes on first boot, and 50-55 seconds on subsequent boots.

But my phone ran very warm --- even at idle.

So I decided to incorporate all the ramdisk changes I had made the previous night and to repack (again, no kernel command line) and repeated the previous experiment: CWM wipe /data and /cache, re-flash ICSROM 146, power down and fastboot the repacked image (with no kernel command line).

Results: ICSROM came up in 3 minutes (expected), but THIS time, my phone was running cool.

Subsequent to these results, I ran CF Bench (free) many times. Scores generally hovered around 5000 --- slightly below the HTC Sensation, but still quite respectable for 1.0GHz --- though I think there's a wee bit of overclockin' here.

And now, I share these initial results in the form of an image to boot ICSROM 1.4.6 on EMMC. See links and instructions below.

[UPDATE 10 Feb 2013]: I did fastboot flash Rev00 directly after another failed boot with stock 146 boot.img --- and ICSROM came up. I did not need to wipe /data or /cache.

Fastboot image: http://www.mediafire.com/?bu604jfdm2axfsv

Flashable zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?5qndqe429eu3ltu

Preliminaries:
    Rooted phone with unlocked bootloader
    CWM Recovery 5.0.2.0 installed (or latest version of TWRP)
    Fully charged, healthy battery​

Instructions:
    CWM Nandroid backup of current ROM (if you want to save /data and /cache)
    CWM "wipe data/factory reset" (leaves existing ROM in place but clears /data and /cache)
    CWM flash ICSROM-1.4.6-Rebuild.zip (takes a few minutes)
    Do NOT reboot. Power down instead.
    Fastboot method: Power up to fastboot and "fastboot flash boot boot-icsrom-146-Rev00.img"
    CWM flash method: Power up to Android Recovery and flash boot-icsrom-146-Rev00.zip

[UPDATE 22 Feb 2013]: I received the go-ahead from ICSROM author upndwn4par to roll my Rev00 boot image into ICSROM 1.4.6

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?5lbdhga26azhmd7

Instructions:
    • Already on ICSROM 146 with Rev00 boot image? Nothing to do.
    • Already on ICSROM 146 with original boot image? Simply flash zip... OR flash my Rev00 boot zip linked in OP (faster)
    • Coming from different ROM? Nandroid backup (unless you don't mind losing /data), then CWM wipe data/factory reset and flash zip

I cannot guarantee this boot image will work for you. And because of the complexity of ramdisk, I cannot simply provide a tweak configuration file.

All I can say is that with it, my AT&T Atrix runs much cooler, battery life is dramatically improved, and touch screen issues (like a home screen app ceremoniously launching when Power button is pressed) have disappeared.

Pending success of follow-on experiments, I will make an equivalent image available to boot ICSROM on SD card (for dual boot).

Some future planned work:
    • Continue scouring ICSROM boot.img /ramdisk, and remove “bad actors” as necessary
    • Study the init memory allocations and tweak if necessary
    • Try to reduce boot time
    • Given enough positive responses to boot-icsrom-146-Rev00.img, I will consider rolling it into my next release of Atrix Boot Emporium (presently V3.0)
    Blessings.

Credits: upndwn4par (ICSROM).
    Battery Drain Test Script

I wrote a script for testing ICSROM battery drain.

I know... battery apps are a dime a dozen. But I like this one because I can see the code.

It is very easy to use and outputs the following at a constant interval:
    • Date and Time
    • Current voltage (mV)
    • Charge Remaining (%)
    • Temperature (deg C)
    I also threw in an Ice Cream treat: Before the “while” loop starts, I power down cpu1 (the second of two cores, cpu0 being the first) before the battery test.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?bxezc8jxai54b84

Download to a directory that doesn’t have permissions issues. Make sure you are root and elevate permissions:

Code:
    chmod 0755 batt-v1.0.sh

Then from Script Manager, Terminal Emulator or other...

Code:
    sh batt-v1.0.sh {interval-in-seconds}

Or you can "adb shell" into your phone from a computer. [EDIT] There may be less overhead with adb. But your phone would be charging...

I recommend entering a time interval of 10 seconds or more, though you could enter 1 second and watch the output fly.

You MAY need to set your governor to something other than “userspace”. Right now, I have my script running with the governor set to “conservative”.

Experimental. Enjoy.
    Project Status

I am finishing up a ROM port and will return to Project Stable Boot fairly soon. Actually the things I am learning from the ROM port exercise are helping me work PSB more efficiently :)
    Odp: Project Stable Boot for ICSROM [09 Feb 2013]

About cmdline. If kernel is set correctly it reads cmdline from bootloader. It can be overridden in both directions of course (to read from kernel or from bootloader).

Sent from my MB860 using xda app-developers app
    Here is the flashable zip

http://db.tt/pC7GXsBP

Happy Flashing[/SIZE]