Project Treble GSI images on Smart Tab M10 (TB-X605F/L) and P10 (TB-X705F/L)

Search This thread

Estebiu

Mar 13, 2018
Nizza
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
The script is important. It stops the GSI from trying to mount the system partition read-write during boot. That's what makes the tablet freeze on the Lenovo logo when running over stock Pie.

So I can fix the script, please run the following adb commands and let me know the outcome. Your device needs to be in TWRP when you run these commands:
Code:
adb shell "getprop | grep ro.bootmode"
adb shell "getprop | grep recovery"
adb shell "mount /vendor && cat /vendor/default.prop | grep vndk"

Hello, sorry for these 3 months of silence but I was pretty busy with school.
I'd appreciate if you still can help me out a little.. I ran these commands and the output was that:
C:\adb>adb shell "getprop | grep ro.bootmode"
[ro.bootmode]: [unknown]

C:\adb>adb shell "getprop | grep recovery"
[init.svc.recovery]: [running]
[ro.boottime.recovery]: [2753646404]
[ro.recovery_id]: [0xc51c2dd55995dc58fc5f48f043c6192e3acdb5a3000000000000000000000000]

C:\adb>adb shell "mount /vendor && cat /vendor/default.prop | grep vndk"
ro.vndk.version=28
ro.vndk.lite=true

Estebiu

Mar 13, 2018
Nizza
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
Thanks for your help. Both scripts are fine now!

One thing took me hours of trial and error.
The start process always ended after the Lenovo boot logo with a black screen.

What i did: (Without success)
Installed Stock ROM via qdl (Download from Lenovo)
Flashed GSI ROM
Flashed TWRP-3.4.0-1-X605F
Booted into Recovery
Run modify_phh_gsi
Run Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip

After I left out Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip and only did a factory reset and formatted the data partition, it worked.
lineage-17.1-20201114-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_avS seems to work fine at first glance
I have the same problem you had, but the new script isn't working for me. Maybe I'll try changing somethings.. who knows, maybe he'll work

danko_man

May 14, 2012
I have a tb-x605l and I have tried to follow this guide (upgrading from stock pie).
but i can't get my device to boot. It hangs just showing "android" pulsating. So far i have tried ASOP and Havoc, both android 10, with the same results. Tried the old and tested "wipe cache and Dalvik dance"
I'm wondering if I have the wrong stock rom. I have been using TB-X605L_USR_S210156_2002120700_Q00332_ROW.zip Is this the one i should use to start from?

:edit: Never mind managed to fix this by formating data. now my device boots.

Last edited:

kiriya.aoi

Mar 30, 2021
Thanks for the guide! I've now got Havoc running on my x605F, but is there any way to make the notification shade take up more of the width at the top?

kiriya.aoi

Mar 30, 2021
So I'm the only one having a lot of issues?
I took the latest havoc with gapps (Havoc-OS-v3.12-20201230-Official-GApps-arm64-aonly.img), latest TWRP (3.5.0) from https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-twrp-3-5-x-for-lenovo-smart-tab-m10.4005859/, then followed the steps in order from the first post.
YMMV, I don't actually know what my hardware code was supposed to be (LMSA rescue couldn't detect) so I just picked 60 randomly from the list... perhaps not my safest life choice but it did work.

Estebiu

Mar 13, 2018
Nizza
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
I took the latest havoc with gapps (Havoc-OS-v3.12-20201230-Official-GApps-arm64-aonly.img), latest TWRP (3.5.0) from https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-twrp-3-5-x-for-lenovo-smart-tab-m10.4005859/, then followed the steps in order from the first post.
YMMV, I don't actually know what my hardware code was supposed to be (LMSA rescue couldn't detect) so I just picked 60 randomly from the list... perhaps not my safest life choice but it did work.
Thanks, but now I figured it out. It was an AMD drivers bug. At least, I think. Right now the bootanimation is still going but I'll cross fingers.

bmc-it

Jun 19, 2017
Fix for TB-X605F showing Model UNKNOWN in LineageOS 17.1 GSI, flash with Magisk

Attachments

• magisk-TB-X605F-build.prop-2.2-gsi_unknown_fix.zip
    8.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

bmc-it

Jun 19, 2017
working Magisk 22.1 attached - tested with LineageOS 17.1 GSI on X605F (working script for our Tablet/phh a-only) - flash with TWRP and install Magisk.apk from official sources.

Attachments

• Magisk-phh-22.1-TB-X605x-aonly.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Andrew x3

Nov 29, 2013
Pasco Washington
LG Wing
This thread is for sharing your experiences with Project Treble GSI images on the Lenovo Smart Tabs M10 (TB-X605F/L) & P10 (TB-X705F/L). I'll update this post as more things are discovered.

You can load Android 10 and 11 GSI ROMs on top of Lenovo's stock Oreo ROMs. There are some graphics glitches when you use the stock Oreo ROMs.

You can also load Android 10 on top of Lenovo's stock Pie ROMs. This fixes the graphics problems. You can't load Android 11 over stock Pie because the Android 11 GSI ROMs don't support vndk-lite v28 (yet).

WARNING 1: this procedure will wipe your whole device (including data). So do a backup first.
WARNING 2: this is experimental. If you don't know what you're doing, then you could brick your device. The risk is all yours.

Loading over stock Oreo

1. unlock the bootloader (if not already unlocked)
  2. download and unzip the stock Oreo ROM
  3. load the stock Oreo ROM using QComDLoader, and your device in EDL mode. When it's finished, do not boot into the system. QComDLoader configuration settings:
    Code:
      Download Mode: Upgrade
            Chipset: 8953
    eMMC Programmer: prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn
        Raw program: rawprogram_unsparse_upgrade.xml
             patch0: patch0.xml
  4. boot the device into fastboot (Power+VolDown)
  5. flash the GSI image: fastboot flash system your_gsi.img (you can install the GSI image in twrp, if you prefer)
  6. flash TWRP (for Oreo): fastboot flash recovery oreo_twrp.img
  7. boot into twrp (pwr+VolUp+VolDown)
  8. (optional) if your GSI doesn't include Google Apps, then download and install a gapps zip (ARM64) in TWRP. I use "pico", but choose the one that suits you. OpenGApps isn't officially available for Android 11 yet.
  9. (optional) to get the right pixel density, add "ro.sf.lcd_density=240" to vendor/build.prop. I wrote gsi4tablet.sh to do this for you. Run it in twrp adb shell. Make sure the script is executable (using chmod).
  10. reboot to system
Here are some links to Lenovo's stock Oreo ROMs:

Loading over stock Pie

2. download Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip (created by @Zackptg5). If you want your data partition encrypted, then rename the zip file to Disable_Dm-Verity_enfec.zip. We'll use this to disable dm-verity on boot.
  3. download modify_phh_gsi.sh to your SDcard or OTG device. I wrote this script to by-pass phhusson's read-write mount of /system during boot, which freezes our tablets. The script also runs resize2fs to make the /system filesystem take up the whole /system partition. Don't forget to make this script executable with chmod.
  4. copy those files to your SDCard or OTG device:
    Code:
    adb push modify_phh_gsi.sh /external_sd/
    adb shell chmod a+x /external_sd/modify_phh_gsi.sh
    adb push Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip /external_sd/
    [B]only if you want an encrypted data partition[/B]: adb shell mv /external_sd/Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip /external_sd/Disable_Dm-Verity_enfec.zip
  5. load the stock Pie ROM using LMSA rescue mode or QComDLoader
  6. boot the device into fastboot (Power+VolDown)
  7. flash the GSI image: fastboot flash system your_gsi.img (you can install the GSI image in twrp, if you prefer)
  8. flash TWRP (for Pie): fastboot flash recovery pie_twrp.img
  9. boot into twrp (pwr+VolUp+VolDown)
  10. install Disable_Dm-Verity_enfec.zip or Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip
  11. run modify_phh_gsi.sh and boot the GSI:
    Code:
    adb shell /external_sd/modify_phh_gsi.sh
    adb reboot
  12. (optional) if your GSI doesn't include Google Apps, then download and install a gapps zip (ARM64) in TWRP. I use "pico", but choose the one that suits you. Do this after running modify_phh_gsi.sh - to avoid running out of space.
  13. reboot to system

Choosing a GSI image
@phhusson keeps a full list of Project Treble GSI images.

Our devices are all ARM64 A-only. This means that you should only get ARM64 and A-only GSI images. Anything else will not work.

In case you need to know, our devices are also non-System-As-Root (nonSAR) and use vndk-lite (v27 for stock Oreo, and v28 for stock Pie).

"This device is not Certified by Google"
If you get this message when you boot the GSI, use ADB and follow instructions under "How to bypass certified device after first boot?".

If you can't find sqlite3 in adb, then install the Device ID app from this XDA article to get the GSF number on your tablet.

"Insufficient storage space available in System partition"
If you get this error message when trying to install GApps, read this post.

Where is...?
  • QComDLoader is downloaded during an LMSA rescue. You'll find it in C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\ToolFiles\QcomDLoader_1.3.2\QcomDLoader_1.3.2. Alternatively, @Chaser42 has a link and some instructions at the bottom of the first post in this thread.
  • EDL mode: the easiest ways to enter EDL mode are: adb reboot edl or in TWRP: Reboot->EDL Mode. Alternatively, from a powered-off device: insert USB cable while holding VolUp
  • TWRP for Oreo for TB-X605F/L.
  • TWRP for Oreo for TB-X705F/L.
  • Magisk (for phhusson-based GSI ROMs) lives here.
  • GApps lives here.
  • Disable_Dm-Verity lives here.

Last modified: 27 December 2020 (updated link to new modify_phh_gsi.sh)
Is it possible to make this work with the (x306f) mediatek version?

Vulnerability

Sep 14, 2017
Has anyone had any luck with Android 11 GSI's over the latest Android 10 build? For me they boot but it's like graphics drivers are missing or something, the UI is very laggy.

Currently I'm on HavocOS v3.12 build from December 2020, I tried Lineage 17.1 from April 2021 however I get random reboots while gaming :(

Ayush1325

Jun 26, 2016
Ahmedabad
Hello, I am not able to authorize my device in ADB since installing GSI. Anyone else having the same problem?

I tried all the normal things like Revoking ADB certs, disabling and reenabling debugging, and even creating the /data/misc/adb/adb/adb_keys file but no luck so far.
My device buttons are kinda a bust, so ADB is extremely helpful, at least until I am able to root it somehow.

Also, anyone had any luck with rooting Havoc OS. Causing being suck at boot animation in my case me. Not tried formatting data after rooting yet though.

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle
Hello, I am not able to authorize my device in ADB since installing GSI. Anyone else having the same problem?

I tried all the normal things like Revoking ADB certs, disabling and reenabling debugging, and even creating the /data/misc/adb/adb/adb_keys file but no luck so far.
My device buttons are kinda a bust, so ADB is extremely helpful, at least until I am able to root it somehow.

Also, anyone had any luck with rooting Havoc OS. Causing being suck at boot animation in my case me. Not tried formatting data after rooting yet though.
ADB "unauthorised" is a common problem with HavocOS GSIs. Try this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello @Yahoo Mike , thanks for the Guide.

I think you should also add the Instruction to Format Data in the instructions of Pie since like @danko_man I was stuck in the boot animation until doing that.

Successfully running Havoc OS now. It's so much better than the buggy stock Pie.
    This thread is for sharing your experiences with Project Treble GSI images on the Lenovo Smart Tabs M10 (TB-X605F/L) & P10 (TB-X705F/L). I'll update this post as more things are discovered.

You can load Android 10 and 11 GSI ROMs on top of Lenovo's stock Oreo ROMs. There are some graphics glitches when you use the stock Oreo ROMs.

You can also load Android 10 on top of Lenovo's stock Pie ROMs. This fixes the graphics problems. You can't load Android 11 over stock Pie because the Android 11 GSI ROMs don't support vndk-lite v28 (yet).

WARNING 1: this procedure will wipe your whole device (including data). So do a backup first.
    WARNING 2: this is experimental. If you don't know what you're doing, then you could brick your device. The risk is all yours.

Loading over stock Oreo

2. download and unzip the stock Oreo ROM
    3. load the stock Oreo ROM using QComDLoader, and your device in EDL mode. When it's finished, do not boot into the system. QComDLoader configuration settings:
      Code:
        Download Mode: Upgrade
              Chipset: 8953
      eMMC Programmer: prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn
          Raw program: rawprogram_unsparse_upgrade.xml
               patch0: patch0.xml
    4. boot the device into fastboot (Power+VolDown)
    5. flash the GSI image: fastboot flash system your_gsi.img (you can install the GSI image in twrp, if you prefer)
    6. flash TWRP (for Oreo): fastboot flash recovery oreo_twrp.img
    7. boot into twrp (pwr+VolUp+VolDown)
    8. (optional) if your GSI doesn't include Google Apps, then download and install a gapps zip (ARM64) in TWRP. I use "pico", but choose the one that suits you. OpenGApps isn't officially available for Android 11 yet.
    9. (optional) to get the right pixel density, add "ro.sf.lcd_density=240" to vendor/build.prop. I wrote gsi4tablet.sh to do this for you. Run it in twrp adb shell. Make sure the script is executable (using chmod).
    10. reboot to system
    Here are some links to Lenovo's stock Oreo ROMs:

Loading over stock Pie

2. download Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip (created by @Zackptg5). If you want your data partition encrypted, then rename the zip file to Disable_Dm-Verity_enfec.zip. We'll use this to disable dm-verity on boot.
    3. download modify_phh_gsi.sh to your SDcard or OTG device. I wrote this script to by-pass phhusson's read-write mount of /system during boot, which freezes our tablets. The script also runs resize2fs to make the /system filesystem take up the whole /system partition. Don't forget to make this script executable with chmod.
    4. copy those files to your SDCard or OTG device:
      Code:
      adb push modify_phh_gsi.sh /external_sd/
      adb shell chmod a+x /external_sd/modify_phh_gsi.sh
      adb push Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip /external_sd/
      [B]only if you want an encrypted data partition[/B]: adb shell mv /external_sd/Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip /external_sd/Disable_Dm-Verity_enfec.zip
    5. load the stock Pie ROM using LMSA rescue mode or QComDLoader
    6. boot the device into fastboot (Power+VolDown)
    7. flash the GSI image: fastboot flash system your_gsi.img (you can install the GSI image in twrp, if you prefer)
    8. flash TWRP (for Pie): fastboot flash recovery pie_twrp.img
    9. boot into twrp (pwr+VolUp+VolDown)
    10. format Data partition
    11. install Disable_Dm-Verity_enfec.zip or Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip
    12. run modify_phh_gsi.sh and boot the GSI:
      Code:
      adb shell /external_sd/modify_phh_gsi.sh
      adb reboot
    13. (optional) if your GSI doesn't include Google Apps, then download and install a gapps zip (ARM64) in TWRP. I use "pico", but choose the one that suits you. Do this after running modify_phh_gsi.sh - to avoid running out of space.
    14. reboot to system

Choosing a GSI image
    @phhusson keeps a full list of Project Treble GSI images.

Our devices are all ARM64 A-only. This means that you should only get ARM64 and A-only GSI images. Anything else will not work.

In case you need to know, our devices are also non-System-As-Root (nonSAR) and use vndk-lite (v27 for stock Oreo, and v28 for stock Pie).

"This device is not Certified by Google"
    If you get this message when you boot the GSI, use ADB and follow instructions under "How to bypass certified device after first boot?".

If you can't find sqlite3 in adb, then install the Device ID app from this XDA article to get the GSF number on your tablet.

"Insufficient storage space available in System partition"
    If you get this error message when trying to install GApps, read this post.

Where is...?
    • QComDLoader is downloaded during an LMSA rescue. You'll find it in C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\ToolFiles\QcomDLoader_1.3.2\QcomDLoader_1.3.2. Alternatively, @Chaser42 has a link and some instructions at the bottom of the first post in this thread.
    • EDL mode: the easiest ways to enter EDL mode are: adb reboot edl or in TWRP: Reboot->EDL Mode. Alternatively, from a powered-off device: insert USB cable while holding VolUp
    • TWRP for Oreo for TB-X605F/L.
    • TWRP for Oreo for TB-X705F/L.
    • Magisk (for phhusson-based GSI ROMs) lives here.
    • GApps lives here.
    • Disable_Dm-Verity lives here.

Last modified: 2 May 2021 (added step to format Data partition)
    Since you mentioned me, I've taken a brief look - can you boot ARM64 AB on Pie? On many devices, updating to Pie changes the arch to AB. Note that "A/AB" in GSI is not the same thing as physical partition layout.
    Hi Yahoo Mike,
    is the LOS 17 fully functionnal on TB-X605F?
    Thanks
    I don't know if LOS is "fully" functional. I loaded it, but didn't thoroughly test it. Wifi worked.

I've been using Quack and it's stable. Wifi, camera, bluetooth, audio all work. NovaLauncher works fine. Some graphics flicker until they load. I haven't found the right settings under "Phh Treble Settings" to stop that.
    Lineage OS 17

I just wanted to give an update with lineage 17, I was able to get passed the issues with the gapps by registering the google services id through their webpage.

Everything thing seems to work very well...... wifi, audio, and both front and rear camera work perfectly. The only problem I am still dealing with is flickering in overlay situations, and nothing I've tried from a developer settings perspective fixes the issue. If the flickering can be fixed, I think we'll have a really good option here.

One other thing I wish I could get working in this lineage OS is the google assistant ambient mode. I can't get the option to show up in the assistant settings. Have ambient mode on this tablet would be perfect with the original alex cradle.
    I've never tried, so I'm not sure whether the device will boot if you reformat cache to f2fs. Can I ask why do you want to do this? Speed?

Apparently F2FS has a slight speed increase but I ended up sticking with the default format.

Still using CAOS GSI, super happy with it :)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone