• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Project Treble GSI images on Smart Tab M10 (TB-X605F/L) and P10 (TB-X705F/L)

Search This thread

bearllm

Sep 8, 2021
That looks like the help. If you have the latest version of modify_phh_gsi.sh, the only time that's called is if you enter parameters after the command.

How are you running the script?

Download the script again, copy it to your sdcard, make sure it's executable, then in twrp try again with the command: adb shell /external_sd/modify_phh_gsi.sh
OK,I have entered the Havoc OS now, thanks

but the new question is coming

when i intalled the magisk in the twrp,Havoc Os reboot failed

stay on the splash screen,keep spinning again and again

when i restore the boot in the twrp,i can enter the Havoc OS again(without magisk)

looking forward to reply, thank you very much

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle
OK,I have entered the Havoc OS now, thanks

but the new question is coming

when i intalled the magisk in the twrp,Havoc Os reboot failed

stay on the splash screen,keep spinning again and again

when i restore the boot in the twrp,i can enter the Havoc OS again(without magisk)

looking forward to reply, thank you very much
From memory, HavocOS is already rooted. Check that in adb.

If it is not rooted, then make sure you are using the phhusson magisk, not the standard magisk. If you are using phhusson magisk, try an older version.

bearllm

Sep 8, 2021
From memory, HavocOS is already rooted. Check that in adb.

If it is not rooted, then make sure you are using the phhusson magisk, not the standard magisk. If you are using phhusson magisk, try an older version.
OK,I use the Magisk-v21.0-phh,rooted the HavocOS successful

It has realized automatic shutdown after unplugging the charging cable by the Tasker app

thank you

I am studying to modify init.rc to realize automatic power on when charging

i am backuping the boot partition to the boot.img(64MB), and then flash the boot.img(do not make any changes) to the boot partion,system can starts

but if i unpacked the boot.img to a folder(do not make any change),and just repacked the folder to boot1.img(28MB).

i flash the boot1.img(28MB) to the boot partion,system can not starts

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle
...I am studying to modify init.rc to realize automatic power on when charging

...if i unpacked the boot.img to a folder(do not make any change),and just repacked the folder to boot1.img(28MB).

i flash the boot1.img(28MB) to the boot partion,system can not starts
Android has many layers of security. It's possible that your boot1.img is not signed properly. It's possible that dm-verity is aborting the boot. Or any number of things could be wrong.

Use an Android Kitchen to unpack, repack and re-sign the image. You might have to turn dm-verity off as well.

NaVmAn

Mar 6, 2006
Hi Guys

Firstly, thank you for all the hard work you have put into this development.

I too have been having issues with my lenovo tb-x705f, with wifi drop outs and bluetooth randomly disconnecting/reconnecting. Its usually hit and miss using this tablet with android pie.

I have the lenovo tb-x705f smart dock version with Alex built into the dock.

My question is, that could i put the GSI 11 version on top of this device. I know you guys mentioned that most of the apps are on a separate partition and with GSI we are just updating the /system partition. Do you know if the Alexa dock will still work (i guess it has its own firmware as it recognizes the wake up command even though the tablet is not docked). Its one of those devices with show mode enabled as well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

bearllm

Sep 8, 2021
Android has many layers of security. It's possible that your boot1.img is not signed properly. It's possible that dm-verity is aborting the boot. Or any number of things could be wrong.

Use an Android Kitchen to unpack, repack and re-sign the image. You might have to turn dm-verity off as well.

I successfully re-flashed the boot. img, use the Android.Image.Kitchen.v3.8-Win32

"
Building image . . .

Using format: AOSP

Signing new image . . .

Using signature: AVBv1 boot

Done!
"

thank you so much,mike

Reactions: Yahoo Mike

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle
I have the lenovo tb-x705f smart dock version with Alex built into the dock.

My question is, that could i put the GSI 11 version on top of this device. I know you guys mentioned that most of the apps are on a separate partition and with GSI we are just updating the /system partition. Do you know if the Alexa dock will still work (i guess it has its own firmware as it recognizes the wake up command even though the tablet is not docked). Its one of those devices with show mode enabled as well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
You will be able to use the dock as a BT speaker (at least on phhusson-based GSIs). But you won't get the same Alexa functionality.

You can install the Alexa app by Amazon from the Playstore, enable it handsfree and set is as your default digital assistant. But it will only work when the Alexa app is running. It will be an audio-only device. It won't start videos. There will be no Show Mode.

The Show Mode app (and the VegaOTA app) probably won't appear in the Playstore. Theoretically you could sideload them as system apps, but they seem to be very closely integrated into the OS. Lenovo's OS mods are not opensource. The Show Mode app is probably where the Alexa VideoApp interface is coded.

Theoretically it could all be reverse engineered. But who's going to spend the months it would take to do this, when you can buy an Echo 8 for $US80 ?

Of course, if anyone has seen the source, then I'd be interested to have a look. Especially the dock API source. PM me.

Reactions: NaVmAn

Tech M

Jun 5, 2019
Could you please develop an unofficial rom based on android 10 or 11 for Lenovo Tab M10 X605l, Sir?

Last edited:

Tech M

Jun 5, 2019
Yes, I tried to install GSI rom but somehow it got brick and not getting ON. Please help me!

Tech M

Jun 5, 2019
Use Lenovo's LMSA tool to restore your tablet to stock.
Thank you for your suggestion, but I tried to recover my tablet through LMSA app. During flashing it shows Firmware flashing started 52% but sudden after it stopped working and pop up a window which says lenovo.mbg.service.lsma has stopped working and then LSMA tool get crash and close.
The another problem is that my tablet auto detect Qualcomm usb 9008 just after plug in USB, but not pressing any key. I had also de attached key from motherboard but no use.

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle
Thank you for your suggestion, but I tried to recover my tablet through LMSA app. During flashing it shows Firmware flashing started 52% but sudden after it stopped working and pop up a window which says lenovo.mbg.service.lsma has stopped working and then LSMA tool get crash and close.
Make sure you are using the Lenovo Qualcomm USB drivers from LMSA (C:\ProgramData\LMSA\drivers\Lenovo).

If it still doesn't work, try a different USB cable. You can also try a different PC.

The another problem is that my tablet auto detect Qualcomm usb 9008 just after plug in USB, but not pressing any key. I had also de attached key from motherboard but no use.
QCom 9008 is EDL mode. Once in EDL mode, your tablet will stay there until you reboot.

However EDL mode only accepts new connections for the first 30-60 seconds. After that, you have to power off the tablet, then restart the tablet (with USB cable and Vol+) for EDL mode to work again.

If your tablet is in EDL mode without pressing buttons, then it sounds like your tablet was already in EDL mode before you put the USB cable in. But that session of EDL is probably "stale" and not working. You have to power down and re-enter EDL.

If you have access to ADB, you can also use adb reboot edl. If you can boot twrp, there is a "reboot->EDL" function.

If your tablet is in QCom 900E (diagnostics mode), try rebooting.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is for sharing your experiences with Project Treble GSI images on the Lenovo Smart Tabs M10 (TB-X605F/L) & P10 (TB-X705F/L). I'll update this post as more things are discovered.

You can load Android 10 and 11 GSI ROMs on top of Lenovo's stock Pie ROMs.

You can also load Android 10 and 11 GSI ROMs on top of Lenovo's stock Oreo ROMs. There are some graphics glitches when you use the stock Oreo ROMs.

WARNING 1: this procedure will wipe your whole device (including data). So do a backup first.
    WARNING 2: this is experimental. If you don't know what you're doing, then you could brick your device. The risk is all yours.

Loading over stock Pie

1. unlock the bootloader (if not already unlocked)
    2. download Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip (created by @Zackptg5). If you want your data partition encrypted, then rename the zip file to Disable_Dm-Verity_enfec.zip. We'll use this to disable dm-verity on boot.
    3. download modify_phh_gsi.sh to your SDcard or OTG device. I wrote this script to by-pass phhusson's read-write mount of /system during boot, which freezes our tablets. The script also runs resize2fs to make the /system filesystem take up the whole /system partition. Don't forget to make this script executable with chmod.
    4. copy those files to your SDCard or OTG device:
      Code:
      adb push modify_phh_gsi.sh /external_sd/
      adb shell chmod a+x /external_sd/modify_phh_gsi.sh
      adb push Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip /external_sd/
      [B]only if you want an encrypted data partition[/B]: adb shell mv /external_sd/Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip /external_sd/Disable_Dm-Verity_enfec.zip
    5. load the stock Pie ROM using LMSA rescue mode or QComDLoader
    6. boot the device into fastboot (Power+VolDown)
    7. flash the GSI image: fastboot flash system your_gsi.img (you can install the GSI image in twrp, if you prefer)
    8. flash TWRP (for Pie): fastboot flash recovery pie_twrp.img
    9. boot into twrp (pwr+VolUp+VolDown)
    10. format Data partition
    11. install Disable_Dm-Verity_enfec.zip or Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip
    12. run modify_phh_gsi.sh and boot the GSI:
      Code:
      adb shell /external_sd/modify_phh_gsi.sh
      adb reboot
    13. (optional) if your GSI doesn't include Google Apps, then download and install a gapps zip (ARM64) in TWRP. I use "pico", but choose the one that suits you. Do this after running modify_phh_gsi.sh - to avoid running out of space.
    14. reboot to system

Loading over stock Oreo

1. unlock the bootloader (if not already unlocked)
    2. download and unzip the stock Oreo ROM
    3. load the stock Oreo ROM using QComDLoader, and your device in EDL mode. When it's finished, do not boot into the system. QComDLoader configuration settings:
      Code:
        Download Mode: Upgrade
              Chipset: 8953
      eMMC Programmer: prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn
          Raw program: rawprogram_unsparse_upgrade.xml
               patch0: patch0.xml
    4. boot the device into fastboot (Power+VolDown)
    5. flash the GSI image: fastboot flash system your_gsi.img (you can install the GSI image in twrp, if you prefer)
    6. flash TWRP (for Oreo): fastboot flash recovery oreo_twrp.img
    7. boot into twrp (pwr+VolUp+VolDown)
    8. (optional) if your GSI doesn't include Google Apps, then download and install a gapps zip (ARM64) in TWRP. I use "pico", but choose the one that suits you. OpenGApps isn't officially available for Android 11 yet.
    9. (optional) to get the right pixel density, add "ro.sf.lcd_density=240" to vendor/build.prop. I wrote gsi4tablet.sh to do this for you. Run it in twrp adb shell. Make sure the script is executable (using chmod).
    10. reboot to system
    Here are some links to Lenovo's stock Oreo ROMs:

Choosing a GSI image
    @phhusson keeps a full list of Project Treble GSI images.

Our devices are all ARM64 A-only. This means that you should only get ARM64 and A-only GSI images. Anything else will not work.

In case you need to know, our devices are also non-System-As-Root (nonSAR) and use vndk-lite (v27 for stock Oreo, and v28 for stock Pie).

"This device is not Certified by Google"
    If you get this message when you boot the GSI, use ADB and follow instructions under "How to bypass certified device after first boot?".

If you can't find sqlite3 in adb, then install the Device ID app from this XDA article to get the GSF number on your tablet.

"Insufficient storage space available in System partition"
    If you get this error message when trying to install GApps, read this post.

Where is...?
    • QComDLoader is downloaded during an LMSA rescue. You'll find it in C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\ToolFiles\QcomDLoader_1.3.2\QcomDLoader_1.3.2. Alternatively, @Chaser42 has a link and some instructions at the bottom of the first post in this thread.
    • EDL mode: the easiest ways to enter EDL mode are: adb reboot edl or in TWRP: Reboot->EDL Mode. Alternatively, from a powered-off device: insert USB cable while holding VolUp
    • TWRP for Oreo for TB-X605F/L.
    • TWRP for Oreo for TB-X705F/L.
    • Magisk (for phhusson-based GSI ROMs) lives here.
    • GApps lives here.
    • Disable_Dm-Verity lives here.

Last modified: 5 September 2021 (Android 11 now works)
    Since you mentioned me, I've taken a brief look - can you boot ARM64 AB on Pie? On many devices, updating to Pie changes the arch to AB. Note that "A/AB" in GSI is not the same thing as physical partition layout.
    Since you mentioned me, I've taken a brief look - can you boot ARM64 AB on Pie? On many devices, updating to Pie changes the arch to AB. Note that "A/AB" in GSI is not the same thing as physical partition layout.
    On stock Pie, Hackintosh5's app reports it's an A-only device supported by VNDK 28 Lite. System properties confirm that.

I just tried to load an AB GSI ROM over Pie. The device boots to qcom diagnostic 900E mode.

So looks like it's definitely A-only on stock Pie. There's just something unusual about the treble implementation on stock Pie.

Loading an A-only GSI over stock Pie just hangs on reboot. It never gets to the boot animation. I've unsuccessfully tried different combinations of permissiver, disable_dm-verity and magisk. No luck.

(There is no vbmeta partition, by the way.)

But thanks for the suggestion about trying AB. It was worth a try.
    Success and Failure

I went through the process above and this worked great. I do have one small problem......

Twrp loads with a black screen and is unusable from the tablet screen in recovery mode. Fortunately this isn't a big deal if you use adb from your pc to control twrp.

2. FLASHING GAPPS
    Put the tablet into recovery from adb or through hardbuttons.
    open cmd:
    adb shell
    twrp wipe cache
    twrp wipe dalvik
    twrp sideload
    adb sideload <location_of_your_GApps.zip>, e.g. adb sideload C:\GApps.zip
    Hi Yahoo Mike,
    is the LOS 17 fully functionnal on TB-X605F?
    Thanks
    I don't know if LOS is "fully" functional. I loaded it, but didn't thoroughly test it. Wifi worked.

I've been using Quack and it's stable. Wifi, camera, bluetooth, audio all work. NovaLauncher works fine. Some graphics flicker until they load. I haven't found the right settings under "Phh Treble Settings" to stop that.