[Project Treble][SM-T820][SM-T825] based on Android 9.0 20190408

Search This thread
I'm not responsible for any damage to your device of any sort.
By flashing this you take responsibility of anything that happens.
Process at your own risk!

If you want to check firmware - please make backup.

Notes
The idea of this project treble is to separate the device-dependent part and the system.
The project treble requires a separate /vendor partition for device-dependent part. But unfortunately we do not have it. But we have a /cache partition, which takes about 200mb and there is a /hidden partition, which takes 50-60mb. 200mb is not enough for us, our vendor is about 450mb.
In the first edition I maded for the 825 tablet, I implement an original solution using separate files for the system and the vendor. But this solution was very difficult to understand. Now my good friend @bonuzzz suggested an idea to me using a compressed partition (squashfs with lz4 compression). With this method, our vendor takes 190-195mb and it is possible to write it to the /cache partition. And use the /hidden partition as a /cache.
Now the installation has become much easier, almost like installing the usual lineage.

Installation
1. install twrp version with treble support (this is my special twrp, based on 9.0 with my latest caf kernel with squashfs support)
2. download treble zip and flash it as usual zip. It will flash boot.img and /vendor partition (in /cache)
3. download any treble system (64bit System A-only) image from: https://forum.xda-developers.com/project-treble
extract, you should get .img file, then copy to sdcard/extsd card and then flash image as system_image in twrp (Install - switch to Install Image and flash as System Image)
4. if you wanna back to stock firmware or lineage - you need flash normal twrp version and make full wipe or just flash stock firmware via odin

Links

Firmware
[SM-T820]
1. 20190404: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hOPdO9UajY7AlJ5lE859Tr6Y7sEpwhTf/view?usp=sharing

[SM-T825]
1. 20190408: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DokV37D8f2s9OtoAJTCURfdx88tNW788/view?usp=sharing

TWRP
[SM-T820]
1. 20190404: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gJ50Sg75Vh7PKyiWfejiCPSD0SYCL5p2/view?usp=sharing

[SM-T825]
1. 20190408: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x_MKQ1PDM6eEbSPsDyFk0DABjXnZfyB4/view?usp=sharing

System images
You can use almost any system image from https://forum.xda-developers.com/project-treble
Our version is: arm64 and a-only image

Magisk
You should use only latest 19.0 beta version from: https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445
Do not use 18.1 or early version - it's dnw, it will corrupt firmware or may be even corrupt recovery (need flash recovery again via odin)

Almost all firmware say about wrong vendor version. This is normal, just press OK.

let's experiment together!

Last edited:

cephasara

May 8, 2008
Update boot.img

Wow! Thank you for the amazing work. I seriously can't believe no one hasn't gone crazy over this already.

How would I go about adding some libraries to my /vendor partiton now? I want to try a Samsung OneUI GSI image on my tablet but it requires additional libraries.

The files I want to add are in here: https://mega.nz/#!oi52TSTY!2Qy3WU7DjVmafs4zENPF6dlOsbY06JG5NuvsNeDTRn4

How did you build this file in the first place?

EDIT: I noticed that video playback does not work. I see the video starts to buffer, then some ghosting appears, and finally the app crashes (both YouTube and Vimeo). Also, camera apps seem to crash.

Last edited:

rainman74

Jul 31, 2016
Munich
EDIT: I noticed that video playback does not work. I see the video starts to buffer, then some ghosting appears, and finally the app crashes (both YouTube and Vimeo). Also, camera apps seem to crash.

With me, YouTube and YouTube Vanced I run without problems and also the camera app works (only the switching times to the front cam take some time).

Reactions: sebmue

cephasara

May 8, 2008
GSIs

With me, YouTube and YouTube Vanced I run without problems and also the camera app works (only the switching times to the front cam take some time).

Maybe my /hidden & /cache partitions got corrupt somehow. I tried several GSIs and had the same issue. Thanks for confirming though.

Have you tried an GSIs from non AOSP-based images? Like OneUI or Xperia? I had trouble with those.

Eike81

Aug 11, 2014

Could you let us know which treble rom you used, as I have the same issues with video playback on youtube.

cephasara

May 8, 2008
I also want to throw out there I was on the Nougat bootloader when I tried this and had video playback issues. I have not tried it out on Oreo. I would imagine that could make a big difference.

alegru

Jun 8, 2015
This is great!

Hey everyone, this project is big news! I am so happy that we can use Treble GSI, using the cache partition via squashfs is a really elegant way for this.
Almost everything works on my T820! I am using Phh-Treble AOSP 9.0 v112, MindTheGapps and Magisk. Even adoptable storage works, I have 256GB for internal storage now (it displays as 256/512 used when empty, but whatever).
The device is certified with magisk and custom prop value.
Contrary to the old Lineage OS from last year, there is no crazy wifi jitter, so Steam Link just works fine. I did not try out the recent Lineage 20190331, so I don't know if it was due to Lineage.
The rotation sensors are not working, for now I am using "Rotation Quick Setting" app from Play Store. Also, the camera app crashes, but I am not using it anyway.
Thank you so much @bonuzzz and @Valera1978 for making this possible! It is stable enough for daily use for me.
BTW, I came from Oreo bootloader, and have no problems regarding video playback (but I use MX Player, not stock)

Last edited:

Stogie87

Oct 3, 2015
Berlin
Mhh.. I get constantly soft reboots if i try to install third party apps or restore my titanium backup on Havoc for treble. Fingerprint is also not working. Seems to be very unstable...

cephasara

May 8, 2008
How could I go about adding files to this treblized /vendor partition? Presumably through the zip? If this is the case, how could I do that?

Trayal

Apr 3, 2019
Fair warning to those wanting to try this: treble roms do install and run, but sensor support appears to be lacking. I can't get any input from gps, accelerometer, gyro, or light sensor.
@Valera1978 If anybody has any idea on how to add support for these to the (I'm assuming) vendor partition, I'd love any hint or direction.

Neo3D

Jan 2, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
Hey everyone, this project is big news! I am so happy that we can use Treble GSI, using the cache partition via squashfs is a really elegant way for this.
Almost everything works on my T820! I am using Phh-Treble AOSP 9.0 v112, MindTheGapps and Magisk. Even adoptable storage works, I have 256GB for internal storage now (it displays as 256/512 used when empty, but whatever).
The device is certified with magisk and custom prop value.
Contrary to the old Lineage OS from last year, there is no crazy wifi jitter, so Steam Link just works fine. I did not try out the recent Lineage 20190331, so I don't know if it was due to Lineage.
The rotation sensors are not working, for now I am using "Rotation Quick Setting" app from Play Store. Also, the camera app crashes, but I am not using it anyway.
Thank you so much @bonuzzz and @Valera1978 for making this possible! It is stable enough for daily use for me.
BTW, I came from Oreo bootloader, and have no problems regarding video playback (but I use MX Player, not stock)

Does Netflix work?

andoyskee

May 3, 2020
I get a bootloop after installing image and reboot to system. I have followed the instructions and got an error "Updater process ended with ERROR:7" installing the treble-16.0.zip. I flashed the custom TWRP using odin and using stock Pie. Did I do something wrong?

ianrobbie

Nov 23, 2012
Hey all. Flashed all the relevant files in the relevant order and currently have a tablet sitting on the Tab S3 splash screen. How long does this normally take?

I flashed the custom TWRP,
Rebooted into Recovery,
Flashed the Treble .zip file,
Rebooted into Recovery,
Flashed the latest Havoc OS, then Magisk v20.3
then rebooted and it's stuck here.

Strange thing is, Windows has flashed up saying that it is "setting up Samsung_Android" while it's on the splash screen.

I come from the tweaked T825 ROM.

Anyone else had this issue? Should I have flashed stock first?

Reactions: NullCode

NullCode

• Hey all. Flashed all the relevant files in the relevant order and currently have a tablet sitting on the Tab S3 splash screen. How long does this normally take?

Rebooted into Recovery,
    Rebooted into Recovery,

Strange thing is, Windows has flashed up saying that it is "setting up Samsung_Android" while it's on the splash screen.

Well I've hard-bricked my tab by flashing the Treble zip so consider yourself lucky. I think you should flash ODIN stock and start from scratch. Flash ashyx's TWRP, follow the instructions there. DO NOT FLASH MAGISK. Then flash Treble TWRP, flash zip, reboot recovery, DO A WIPE DATA / FACTORY RESET, NOT FORMAT, Then flash Havoc OS a only or whatever. After that wipe cache/dalvik and let it boot to ROM, AND THEN flash magisk and stuff.

I hard bricked my tab because Magisk was installed on the device while I flashed Treble. So yeah DON'T DO THAT EITHER

By the way im so sorry for being 2 months late i saw this just now

Last edited:

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
    Well I've hard-bricked my tab by flashing the Treble zip so consider yourself lucky. I think you should flash ODIN stock and start from scratch. Flash ashyx's TWRP, follow the instructions there. DO NOT FLASH MAGISK. Then flash Treble TWRP, flash zip, reboot recovery, DO A WIPE DATA / FACTORY RESET, NOT FORMAT, Then flash Havoc OS a only or whatever. After that wipe cache/dalvik and let it boot to ROM, AND THEN flash magisk and stuff.

I hard bricked my tab because Magisk was installed on the device while I flashed Treble. So yeah DON'T DO THAT EITHER

would some of the issues seen by others be fixed if one started with non-rooted stock 9.0 and 9.0 bootloader (if it is different from that for Oreo)? thanks anyone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      I'm not responsible for any damage to your device of any sort.
      By flashing this you take responsibility of anything that happens.
      Process at your own risk!

If you want to check firmware - please make backup.

Notes
      The idea of this project treble is to separate the device-dependent part and the system.
      The project treble requires a separate /vendor partition for device-dependent part. But unfortunately we do not have it. But we have a /cache partition, which takes about 200mb and there is a /hidden partition, which takes 50-60mb. 200mb is not enough for us, our vendor is about 450mb.
      In the first edition I maded for the 825 tablet, I implement an original solution using separate files for the system and the vendor. But this solution was very difficult to understand. Now my good friend @bonuzzz suggested an idea to me using a compressed partition (squashfs with lz4 compression). With this method, our vendor takes 190-195mb and it is possible to write it to the /cache partition. And use the /hidden partition as a /cache.
      Now the installation has become much easier, almost like installing the usual lineage.

Installation
      1. install twrp version with treble support (this is my special twrp, based on 9.0 with my latest caf kernel with squashfs support)
      2. download treble zip and flash it as usual zip. It will flash boot.img and /vendor partition (in /cache)
      3. download any treble system (64bit System A-only) image from: https://forum.xda-developers.com/project-treble
      extract, you should get .img file, then copy to sdcard/extsd card and then flash image as system_image in twrp (Install - switch to Install Image and flash as System Image)
      4. if you wanna back to stock firmware or lineage - you need flash normal twrp version and make full wipe or just flash stock firmware via odin

Links

Firmware
      [SM-T820]
      1. 20190404: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hOPdO9UajY7AlJ5lE859Tr6Y7sEpwhTf/view?usp=sharing

[SM-T825]
      1. 20190408: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DokV37D8f2s9OtoAJTCURfdx88tNW788/view?usp=sharing

TWRP
      [SM-T820]
      1. 20190404: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gJ50Sg75Vh7PKyiWfejiCPSD0SYCL5p2/view?usp=sharing

[SM-T825]
      1. 20190408: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x_MKQ1PDM6eEbSPsDyFk0DABjXnZfyB4/view?usp=sharing

System images
      You can use almost any system image from https://forum.xda-developers.com/project-treble
      Our version is: arm64 and a-only image

Magisk
      You should use only latest 19.0 beta version from: https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445
      Do not use 18.1 or early version - it's dnw, it will corrupt firmware or may be even corrupt recovery (need flash recovery again via odin)

Almost all firmware say about wrong vendor version. This is normal, just press OK.

let's experiment together!
      Hey all. Flashed all the relevant files in the relevant order and currently have a tablet sitting on the Tab S3 splash screen. How long does this normally take?

Rebooted into Recovery,
      Rebooted into Recovery,

Version for SM-T825 hope will come soon too. I have some ril issues.

Rebooted into Recovery,
      Rebooted into Recovery,

Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone