Project Treble unofficial port possibilities?

Search This thread
Feb 8, 2012
Today, Redmi Note 4 received an unofficial port for Project Treble. Having recieved an official announcement that OxygenOS will not offer this for 3T or even 5T for that matter, community developers are our last hope. And after the awesome news about Note 4, reigniting fresh discussions seeking information on enthusiasm/ possibility/ status of any work being done in this direction by any of our developers.

JustPlayingHard

Jul 1, 2013
Today, Redmi Note 4 received an unofficial port for Project Treble. Having recieved an official announcement that OxygenOS will not offer this for 3T or even 5T for that matter, community developers are our last hope. And after the awesome news about Note 4, reigniting fresh discussions seeking information on enthusiasm/ possibility/ status of any work being done in this direction by any of our developers.

3/3T is very unlikely as there doesn't seem to be any partition that isn't left unused, while on the 5/5T I'm hearing reports that there is some empty partitions that could be re-purposed, but I would wait for official developer response on that.

namanjr

Sep 14, 2009
3/3T is very unlikely as there doesn't seem to be any partition that isn't left unused, while on the 5/5T I'm hearing reports that there is some empty partitions that could be re-purposed, but I would wait for official developer response on that.

You can partition phones to have any partition layout you want! A few older phones on XDA needed partitions changed because the newer android versions wouldn't fit.

Feb 8, 2012
I guess then safe repartitioning will hopefully be looked into as a serious and viable option coz the what Treble offers is immensely huge. And since a repartitioning based method will serve a wider range of phones, it becomes all the more meaningful to dedicate the efforts on it. But, as we know it's not as simple as a non-dev guy like me may make it sound and that developers do this in their spare time and don't get paid. So I guess we just wait and support such effort when it happens.

thes3usa

Retired Forum Moderator
May 30, 2015
Colombo
Xiaomi Mi A2
Samsung Galaxy M20
Not sure if Project Treble will be useful for our devices, since the well
1.) Project Treble is used for easier and quicker OTA updates from the OEM
2.) Project Treble can be great for devices that don't have it's Device Tree's/ Kernel Sources released, whereas our device has all those released.

The 3T has received it's complete cycle of OTA updates, and it has had it's Device Tree's released. There's no use for us getting Treble support.