Project Treble

Search This thread

TeddyBeers

Apr 12, 2011
https://www.xda-developers.com/why-...-phones-wont-be-project-treble-certified/amp/

But of a bummer, but with bootloader unlock if we get that treble might be possible on custom ROMs.

Also not impossible for Nokia via ota it's just a risk they aren't prepared to take.
TBH if their going to keep updating it seriously fast, expecially year after, fixing the issues, than I'm more than happy to stay fully locked.

I've been flashing loads of ROMs since htc desire Z, through nexus 4, first moto g, than moro x force.

Always there have been something wrong, or just didn't work as it should.

mitchst2

Nov 9, 2011
HTC One (m7)
HTC 10
TBH if their going to keep updating it seriously fast, expecially year after, fixing the issues, than I'm more than happy to stay fully locked.

I've been flashing loads of ROMs since htc desire Z, through nexus 4, first moto g, than moro x force.

Always there have been something wrong, or just didn't work as it should.

I'm happy to stay stock if the updates keep coming. However I was hoping come this time next year when we get what might be the last update there was a strong development community behind this phone. Things aren't panning out that way though.

The only thing I'd unlock for right now is a custom kernel with BLN.

Reactions: 2WildFirE

Jygar

Dec 25, 2006
Gloucester
I’m coming from a Nexus 5x and while Treble support would be amazing it wasn’t a dealbreaker given the speed at which Nokia are doing updates compared to everyone else except Sony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanraven

Nov 14, 2010
Cardiff
Would like to see an unlocked bootloader etc, at least when the phone gets old we can install a fresh custom/stock ROM like Lineage OS to make it feel new again!

Reactions: Gill Android

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
I’m coming from a Nexus 5x and while Treble support would be amazing it wasn’t a dealbreaker given the speed at which Nokia are doing updates compared to everyone else except Sony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and yet 3 short months later here we are all wondering where on earth the updates are lol

uchihakurtz

Jan 5, 2013
Depok
Samsung Galaxy S21
Isn't March the latest update already? April patch will probably come in a few weeks or days. I'm just seriously waiting on the new Camera UX, man stock one sucks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180408-161815.png
    Screenshot_20180408-161815.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 510

bsdnix

Mar 17, 2011
Perhaps I am bit slow and I don't get that Treble project thing. I saw that someone has mentioned some hardware limitations such as partitions of the phone. So what is wrong with flashing the phone with USB cable and perhaps tool like one that Sony has "flashtool"...? Also, someone has mentioned that you need to have open bootloader. I am having Nokia 8 (not sirocco) older version with Android 8.1 on top, and if I go to developer mode, I have option to OEM unlock bootloader. Am I missing something? This means that I can unlock bootloader, right and if so only what I am missing is a damn tool to partition phone and flash Android 8.1 with Treble support... If I didn't understand you correctly, please correct me and explain in simplest way possible.

arceuss

Perhaps I am bit slow and I don't get that Treble project thing. I saw that someone has mentioned some hardware limitations such as partitions of the phone. So what is wrong with flashing the phone with USB cable and perhaps tool like one that Sony has "flashtool"...? Also, someone has mentioned that you need to have open bootloader. I am having Nokia 8 (not sirocco) older version with Android 8.1 on top, and if I go to developer mode, I have option to OEM unlock bootloader. Am I missing something? This means that I can unlock bootloader, right and if so only what I am missing is a damn tool to partition phone and flash Android 8.1 with Treble support... If I didn't understand you correctly, please correct me and explain in simplest way possible.
That doesn't work just like that. Just checking that option of unlocking bootloader doesn't actually unlock the bootloader. You need to get a bootloader unlock access code file from hmd, flash it via fastboot. Then someone have to build a rom with project treble enabled. As far as I. Know, Nokia 8 doesn't support treble.

bsdnix

Mar 17, 2011
Ok, so as a step one HMD needs to allow bootloader unlock which I don't see any particular problems with that. They can do it at any time. Sony did it via their website.... Also for making those partitions, they can build the tool (I am quite sure that from recovery, you can do almost anything. And with proper tools, that can be solved). I am quite surprised that HMD didn't took that into consideration as (if I understood correctly) for each update they will need to put additional man-hours to "support" ROMs for Nokia's that originally doesn't support treble. Now multiple with all those Nokia's that came with Android 7. That is a lot of working hours. Instead, unlocking bootloader and building a tool can save them lot of time and hours/money in the future. Don't you agree?

Last edited:
What's wrong with flashing via USB cable is that not all people are going to do this (in fact only minority of techy ones will), so they would still have to support old partition layout or ask everyone to go to a service point which would do it for them. Both are costly solutions.

As for unlocking, the switch you mentioned is only the first step. Next, you have to go to fastboot mode and initiate unlocking via adb. On Pixel and Nexus devices, you simply entered specific command. But on other devices (Nokia, HTC, etc.), you also have to enter unlock code you got from OEM. And Nokia does not officially issue those codes. yet (they promised to do that at some point in the future).

bsdnix

Mar 17, 2011
What's wrong with flashing via USB cable is that not all people are going to do this (in fact only minority of techy ones will), so they would still have to support old partition layout or ask everyone to go to a service point which would do it for them. Both are costly solutions.

As for unlocking, the switch you mentioned is only the first step. Next, you have to go to fastboot mode and initiate unlocking via adb. On Pixel and Nexus devices, you simply entered specific command. But on other devices (Nokia, HTC, etc.), you also have to enter unlock code you got from OEM. And Nokia does not officially issue those codes. yet (they promised to do that at some point in the future).

I cannot agree with you. As a former programmer, there is no thing that you cannot solve by writing a program. In fact, you can even call commands for flashing phone. Only problem can be installing adb drivers on your machine. Actually, when I think of it, that can be done as well...

I cannot agree with you. As a former programmer, there is no thing that you cannot solve by writing a program. In fact, you can even call commands for flashing phone. Only problem can be installing adb drivers on your machine. Actually, when I think of it, that can be done as well...
Read my post again. I didn't say it cannot be done technically. I said that most owners won't do it. The great majority of them are not technical people. So they won't even know that there is an update that has to be installed manually in the first place, let alone installing it themselves.

VAHLTE

Oct 16, 2018
Bergen
www.youtube.com
Pie then?

Project Treble seems not yet to be implemented in the current beta ROM. Hope it will be enabled in the stable version to release Google security patches separately from firmware updates quickly.
To check if it is enabled:
- install adb
- enable usb debugging
- open windows power shell
- connect the phone to the PC
- open adb and type: adb shell and look if the phone is visible
- type: getprop ro.treble.enabled
True: enabled
False: not enabled

Any news on whether it's enabled in Pie?

S5Guy

Oct 25, 2016
What I'm not getting is that, if the bootloader is unlocked, shouldn't it still be possible to flash a working generic system image?

Reactions: negrroo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Project Treble seems not yet to be implemented in the current beta ROM. Hope it will be enabled in the stable version to release Google security patches separately from firmware updates quickly.
    To check if it is enabled:
    - install adb
    - enable usb debugging
    - open windows power shell
    - connect the phone to the PC
    - open adb and type: adb shell and look if the phone is visible
    - type: getprop ro.treble.enabled
    True: enabled
    False: not enabled
    But isn't Treble support a software feature?

It is. But first of all it requires re-partitioning of the device memory (unless it had unused partitions that can be re-purposed for Treble, like in OnePluse case from what I remember).

Second, it's the kind of software feature that is hard to do by community developers, since it requires a little different kind of driver binaries that support HIDL (HAL interface definition language) standardized by Google. So you have to either get those drivers from similar device that already has Treble support or try to hack existing ones into being compatible with Treble (which takes lots of time and knowledge).

HMD won't add Treble support due to first point (re-partitioning is a risky process and since you'd have to change both slots, A/B updates won't protect you from failure here). On the other hand community developer scene for Nokia 8 is basically non-existent, so I wouldn't count on getting unofficial Treble support this way.
    Treble Nokia 8

Treble will be available in the stable Oreo for the Nokia 8, source: community.phones.nokia.com/support/discussions/topics/7000012202/page/last

ps. I can't post links yet so just copy and paste :D
    For me and probably all other beta users too. Maybe it will be build in the stable Oreo version.

I'd imagine Treble is for patching stable builds only, whereas betas will come as full ROMs.