Proper way to restore Nandroid backup?

Search This thread

amithiel

Nov 9, 2011
/local/bin
This is what I do and it always works.

BACKUP - only do the backup for boot, system, and data. That is all that works anyway

STEPS TO RESTORE

1. Clean flash the room you made the backup on. If using OOS like I am just use a fastboot rom. It will wipe everything for you and makes this possible.

2. Start the rom up and complete the initial setup - you don't need to sign in to Google or install any apps just get through the setup or this will not work

3. If TWRP was installed on the phone for the backup, install the same version of it here. Same thing applies for magisk. When this is all done reboot to recovery.

4. Restore system, data, and boot only.

5. Reboot to system and enjoy.

I know this is complex and a serious pain in the butt, but it is the only way I found to make this thing work. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey man, i know this is an old post, but i had to come here to thank you! been pulling my hairs since yesterday, trying to restore my nandroid backup after messing around with a rom, your steps worked like a charm! cheers :)

saoudien07

Apr 27, 2016

BACKUP - only do the backup for boot, system, and data. That is all that works anyway

STEPS TO RESTORE

1. Clean flash the room you made the backup on. If using OOS like I am just use a fastboot rom. It will wipe everything for you and makes this possible.

2. Start the rom up and complete the initial setup - you don't need to sign in to Google or install any apps just get through the setup or this will not work

3. If TWRP was installed on the phone for the backup, install the same version of it here. Same thing applies for magisk. When this is all done reboot to recovery.

I know this is complex and a serious pain in the butt, but it is the only way I found to make this thing work. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thx you very much!! On some devices those steps are required!!!
I do the same, after the Stock Rom >> Initial Setup>> TWRP. Then Wipe everything EXEPT SYTEM!!! If you wipe System it do not work, restore is finishing without errors but device never boot. So Stock Rom needs to be flashed again!
As said, wipe all except SYSTEM, then restore 3 mains partitions of the backup: DATA + System + Boot, then Reboot to system and use the device...
PS: if you wipe Dalvik&Cache, the device may seem a bit slow at the beginning, it is ok because system is still building stuffs.....

flash713

• May 7, 2015
    Texas
    Google Pixel 4 XL
    Using twrp (I use the themed oneplus twrp from OnePlus 6 themes and apps section) v3.5.2-9 what I do is backup my user data partition.

Then when I want to restore a setup I flash OOS 10.3.9, flash whatever custom rom I'm restoring, flash twrp installer 3.5.2-9 zip, flash finalize zip, reboot recovery, flash gapps~ if needed, flash latest magisk zip, format data (swipe-yes format), reboot system.

Update magisk by selecting the app icon. If that doesn't work then rename zip back to magisk 22.1.apk and manually install it... Then I setup my account and enable developer options and enable USB debugging, make sure no screen lock is set, boot back to twrp, restore my saved data partition, reboot system. Done. That's how I do it.

You can also just backup boot, data,system and try restoring those three. Above is how I restore and works perfect.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      you are really funny man. he is right . there is no thread which guides you how to restore nandroid on oneplus 6 .

i have tried all the methods posted in oneplus 6 xda.

Only 1 time i have been able to restore successfully. on OOS 5.1.11.

Tried more than 7 times to restore on android pie. with encrypted and decrypted both ways always issues like twrp lost or bootloop on blank screen

The post you are referring to shows general method of how to backup and restore via TWRP. And i assure the twrp doesnt work as intened . This a/b partition is f... PITA.

If any one knows how to successfully restore a nandroid backup on stable pie, please share.

im so fedup of this nonsense. i might go back to samsung devices for easy custom installations

Whizeguy is a know it all, his posts are mostly about belittling people not helping. And yes restoring backups is a pain. No success here either
      I did do a search and found and tried a couple different recommended? methods that r supposed to work. Didn't for me.
      What is the PROPER procedure to make a backup with twrp then restore it if needed. THANKS

STEPS TO RESTORE

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-6/how-to/oneplus-6-unlock-bootloader-flash-twrp-t3792643

Is there something wrong with this guide you mean? It works without issues here......
      Guess rooting is too easy on OnePlus devices aswell ?

you are really funny man. he is right . there is no thread which guides you how to restore nandroid on oneplus 6 .

i have tried all the methods posted in oneplus 6 xda.

Only 1 time i have been able to restore successfully. on OOS 5.1.11.

Tried more than 7 times to restore on android pie. with encrypted and decrypted both ways always issues like twrp lost or bootloop on blank screen

The post you are referring to shows general method of how to backup and restore via TWRP. And i assure the twrp doesnt work as intened . This a/b partition is f... PITA.

If any one knows how to successfully restore a nandroid backup on stable pie, please share.

im so fedup of this nonsense. i might go back to samsung devices for easy custom installations
      I am decrypted and here's what I do:
      backup only boot, system, data and efs, at time of restore do it without any wipes, once restore is complete flash twrp reboot recovery, now Flash magisk 17.1 and reboot recovery, now flash dm_verity_force_encrption disabler, now reboot system, it works for me 9 out of 10 times, hope this helps, cheers.
      well i am decrypted too. :good:
      will try it once need arises to restore
      thanks a lot for your help mate.

have you performed a restore on pie rom yet with above mentioned success rate?
      yes I have been on pie since beta 1, now I am on beta 4, cheers.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone