• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Pros and Cons for Samsung vs. Google?

Search This thread

Feenix0

I've been using Samsung devices for years: my first smartphone was the dreadful SCH-S720C from TracFone, then I used a S4 mini plus (i9195i), and now I use a S7 (G930F). Unfortunately, I may not be able to get the S7 up to speed to continue working on AT&T's network when they shut down their 3G network, so I've been considering a switch to a Google device.

In Google's favor, I really like the AOSP look and feel I got when I ran LineageOS on the S4. I also like that Google seems to be more amenable to open hardware standards, so it's easier for ROM developers. On the other hand, I'm familiar with how to work with a Samsung (i.e. using Odin). I'm considering either a Pixel 3 or a Galaxy S8, S9, or S10, but I'm open to some other suggestions. I don't require a lot of fancy features, but I like high quality hardware, so that's why I'm looking at the S-series Samsung phones instead of the A-series.

What are the pros and cons of the different options?

Ps: I wouldn't miss Knox if I switched!

Last edited:

Feenix0