Question ProtonAOSP 12.1 from @kdrag0n early access is worth it...

Search This thread

t-ryder

Feb 23, 2011
www.t-ryder.de
Google Pixel 6
No need to be rude.

He releases the monthly updates late for free. It's only the most recent version that you have to pay for if you want to support him.
Yeah, I know and I don't care. That paywall concept and taking $5 for each download or forcing patreon for 5$/month if you want the latest ROM build ASAP just sucks. kdrag0n sure is a great dev, and I use other stuff by him for which I paid. But f* that ROM/payment concept.

Reactions: NYCHitman1

ada12

Jul 2, 2017
Redmi Note 9 Pro
I have tried protonAOSP its work good but this rom have no OTA support its mean need keep unlocked bootloader + need computer for update ... its a real problems for update easy ( when you have no computer you are dead ) and its introduce security problems ...

I have installed grapheneOS for daily use

axelmasok

Dec 11, 2011
Yeah I don't have a problem with the idea charging for the newest ROM. Dedicated users will pay it, $5 is not $50. There are free versions.
Regardless, I ran it for a few weeks before moving to CalyxOS and won't be leaving it anytime soon. Was going to GrapheneOS but don't see the point. COS is good.

I never made any calls with the stock Android so can't comment.

nutzfreelance

Mar 6, 2022
Yeah I don't have a problem with the idea charging for the newest ROM. Dedicated users will pay it, $5 is not $50. There are free versions.
Regardless, I ran it for a few weeks before moving to CalyxOS and won't be leaving it anytime soon. Was going to GrapheneOS but don't see the point. COS is good.

I never made any calls with the stock Android so can't comment.
how are the calls with calyxOS? any issues with sound quality? yours or their voice? how was proton for voicecalls??

the reason i ask is that inever had a issue with oem rom for voice but various customs roms i have issues like poor quality or speakerphone issues.

axelmasok

Dec 11, 2011
call quality on calyxOS is good, been running it for about 2 months.
if you need, call recording both ways is good too.

Same here no difference between CaOS or PrOS. Audio fine handset or speakerphone.

What I did have at some point with both was a bluetooth audio anomaly with my Plantronics Focus. On the odd occasion the audio would go digitally nuts. Switching to handset mid call was the work around. I must say it hasn't happened for a few weeks now, may have been fixed in an update, I don't know. I've never had that happen with my last phone and same headset Samsung S8.

Music out of the phone speakers is much better than my wife's Pixel 4A and my S8.

Reactions: nutzfreelance

axelmasok

Dec 11, 2011
Speaking of that BT issue i spoke of. March update notes:

Bluetooth
  • Fix for issue causing Bluetooth to turn on after disabling in certain conditions *[1].
  • Fix for issue causing occasional audio glitches during playback with certain Bluetooth devices *[2].
  • Fix for issue preventing Bluetooth to be enabled in certain conditions *[2].
  • General improvements for Bluetooth stability & performance *[1].

*[2] Included on Pixel 6 & Pixel 6 Pro

Reactions: Be6i4

nutzfreelance

Mar 6, 2022
anyone useing microg and want to report how you feel using this rom.
or how hard it is to install microg on this rom?

i really want to go google less but they baked in the esim support and other hardware features to google services. apple would be proud at the forced requirements.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey OP, I wrote a small review of this ROM on reddit. I've been using ProtonAOSP on the Pixel 6 for about 5 days now and I can say that I quite like it.

I'm not too sure how the forums takes kindly to linking off site, but if a moderator feels this message should be removed I understand.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pixel6/comments/r4ma3g
    F* that paywall ROM.
    You install one of two ways. Install through a browser which is recommended by developer or download and flash like the normal factory image. Also, there is a vanilla version and a Gapps version. No custom recovery needed. Once installed, gaining root was same process as we use on factory OS.

Disclaimer, device data will be wiped when installing OS and of course wiped a second time when rooting (disabling verity and verification).
    Thank you bro.. have you tried this ProtonAosp now?? can you show me some screenshots?? HOME and Lockscreen?? please thank you
    No problem. I'm not using Proton now. Flashed back to stock so I could install @eng.stk blu_spark kernel last night. IMHO, one of the best kernels.

Given that, the ROM is very stable.
    Do I Really need to UNLOCK bootloader of my PIXEL 6???