Proximity Sensor Issue

Search This thread

uggies

Jul 5, 2011
Australia
I am having an issue where always on display is staying ON while in pocket/faced down on the table. Feels like the proximity sensor is not working while on the AOD.

Plus, the proximity sensor doesn't seem to work while in the pocket either. The setting 'prevent accidental touches' has been enabled, however it is still responding to 'double tap to wake' while in the pocket for whatever reason...

Is there any fix to this?

Last edited:

jdock

Dec 27, 2011
I noticed the AOD stays on in my pocket as well. I thought maybe it was by design that way, even though it makes no sense.
Have not had a single pocket wakeup though.

It does seem that the proximity sensor (which is really the camera) doesn't work especially well though, from reports of people noticing it on phone calls. Hopefully something that can be fixed in software.

uggies

Jul 5, 2011
Australia
I noticed the AOD stays on in my pocket as well. I thought maybe it was by design that way, even though it makes no sense.
Have not had a single pocket wakeup though.

It does seem that the proximity sensor (which is really the camera) doesn't work especially well though, from reports of people noticing it on phone calls. Hopefully something that can be fixed in software.

Thanks mate, appreciate your feedback. Proximity sensor works fine on my phone during calls. Can't think of any reason why Samsung would intend it this way...

C

Cbslc

Proximity sensor issue here as well

I have the same problem. I put phone into test mode and it was bad compared to my wife's s9 search proximity sensor s20fe on YouTube and see others with issue

bigmout

Oct 8, 2007
There is no fix. This is apparently the way AOD works now. I can't remember if it started with the S10s or S20s.

Huberttus

Apr 1, 2019
I am having an issue where always on display is staying ON while in pocket/faced down on the table. Feels like the proximity sensor is not working while on the AOD.

Plus, the proximity sensor doesn't seem to work while in the pocket either. The setting 'prevent accidental touches' has been enabled, however it is still responding to 'double tap to wake' while in the pocket for whatever reason...

I did some research on s20fe proximity sensor, because I desperately wanted flip case to open and close the screen.

Here is what I have noticed: there are two "proximity sensors" both sides of the front camera. These sensors close the screen during call if you touch them (I'm not sure if it's enough to touch just 1 or do you have to touch both of them). You need to touch these with your cheek or finger cause they need a electric field.

Phone also utilizes front camera light sensor during call: if there is no light, it turns off the screen but for this to happen phone needs to be on up right position. Screen won't close if the phone is on desk and you cover the camera.

So anyways, my point is that the proximity sensor is not able to detect if your phone is in the pocket or not. Only way for the phone to detect this is with the front camera light sensor, and I guess this would increase the battery consumption so much, there is no point.

You can test your "proximity sensors" by typing *#0*# in dialer numpad, select sensors and touch from the side of the front camera. If the screen turns green sensors are working.

Last edited:
Reactions: One Twelve

warrusty

Dec 30, 2018
No problems with Verizon S20 FE 5G UW

I did some research on s20fe proximity sensor, because I desperately wanted flip case to open and close the screen.

Here is what I have noticed: there are two "proximity sensors" both sides of the front camera. These sensors close the screen during call if you touch them (I'm not sure if it's enough to touch just 1 or do you have to touch both of them). You need to touch these with your cheek or finger cause they need a electric field.

Phone also utilizes front camera light sensor during call: if there is no light, it turns off the screen but for this to happen phone needs to be on up right position. Screen won't close if the phone is on desk and you cover the camera.

So anyways, my point is that the proximity sensor is not able to detect if your phone is in the pocket or not. Only way for the phone to detect this is with the front camera light sensor, and I guess this would increase the battery consumption so much, there is no point.

You can test your "proximity sensors" by typing *#0*# in dialer numpad, select sensors and touch from the side of the front camera. If the screen turns green sensors are working.

I just purchased the Samsung S20 FE 5G UW (how about we shorten this to FE UW?) with all updates AND a glass screen protector and have no touch/proximity issues.

FYI I bought it at the Costco kiosk for a few dollars less per month, no activation charges and a 90 day return policy.

kuailan

Aug 3, 2009
Sydney
I have tested the proximity issues, luckily for me there were ok...turn green. The only thing that drive me crazy is the touch screen issues which never been fixed even after updates. Oh well at least its better than before.

uggies

Jul 5, 2011
Australia

Mate great information here, really appreciate this.

Tested the Proximity sensor using *#0*#, I agree with your analysis. The proximity must be using electric reaction to detect if my ears are touching it or not. Covering it with a book does not trigger a proximity sensor... This explain why my screen keeps waking up in the pocket.

As much as this is annoying, there appears to be no way out :( Just have to let the phone face outside rather than my legs.

warpjavier

Mar 14, 2008
Bethlehem, PA
I also have the same issue, while on a phone call, the phone's screen goes on and off constantly and I can see the notification bar moving. Very annoying.
This is a terrible design by Samsung. The punch hole usually goes in the "Empty" part of the ear, so the screen stays mostly on.
I might just return the phone because of this issue, I don't see it getting fixed by a software update.

Chuonglepham

Oct 30, 2011
I have the exact opposite issue with the proximity sensor on my Samsung S20 plus running Android 10 - i.e. it works well by turning the screen off when my ear/cheek/face is very close to the proximity sensor during phone calls; whereas, when the phone's screen is locked and turned off, the proximity sensor is turned off as well. Control by hardware? Software/firmware? Don't know?! To turn the screen on without using the Power hardware button, I had to enable the "Double Tap" feature in Settings.

On earlier/other Android mobile devices - Samsung included - the proximity sensor is always on - whether the screen is on, off, or currently locked. When it's always on, you can be innovative and build a widget, for instance, to turn the screen on by "waving" your hand above the proximity sensor to interrupt the laser. I suspect new(er) Samsung mobile devices like S20 and Note20 variants might be using a "virtual" proximity sensor setup/combo for controlling the device's screen - and that really sucks!

To test if the proximity sensor is always activated on Samsung S20 and Note20 variants, I type *#77692# - which displayed a hardware screen to test proximity and light sensors. Note: if you type *#0*#, the proximity and light sensor options are absent from the hardware test screen.

Has anyone found any method - via codes even - to permanently turn on the proximity sensor, even when the screen is locked and turned off?

I searched through AOSP framework vanilla codes and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary regarding control of the proximity sensor. Samsung might be doing something dubious with their firmwares/hardwares though - well, at least, the S20 and Note20 variants are having issues with the proximity sensor setup.

P.S: Not sure if you guys are aware, but Samsung mobile devices with odd designation tends to be more problematic than their even-designated counterparts, like screen's burn-ins/shadows on Samsung S3 devices, light sensor fluctuation (which affects screen brightness control) on Samsung S5s, and now proximity problems with the S20s and Note20. Samsung S20 variants are in fact "S11" variants renamed. So the trend continues with Samsung always stuffing up their odd-designated device releases.

Last edited:
Reactions: One Twelve

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have the exact opposite issue with the proximity sensor on my Samsung S20 plus running Android 10 - i.e. it works well by turning the screen off when my ear/cheek/face is very close to the proximity sensor during phone calls; whereas, when the phone's screen is locked and turned off, the proximity sensor is turned off as well. Control by hardware? Software/firmware? Don't know?! To turn the screen on without using the Power hardware button, I had to enable the "Double Tap" feature in Settings.

On earlier/other Android mobile devices - Samsung included - the proximity sensor is always on - whether the screen is on, off, or currently locked. When it's always on, you can be innovative and build a widget, for instance, to turn the screen on by "waving" your hand above the proximity sensor to interrupt the laser. I suspect new(er) Samsung mobile devices like S20 and Note20 variants might be using a "virtual" proximity sensor setup/combo for controlling the device's screen - and that really sucks!

To test if the proximity sensor is always activated on Samsung S20 and Note20 variants, I type *#77692# - which displayed a hardware screen to test proximity and light sensors. Note: if you type *#0*#, the proximity and light sensor options are absent from the hardware test screen.

Has anyone found any method - via codes even - to permanently turn on the proximity sensor, even when the screen is locked and turned off?

I searched through AOSP framework vanilla codes and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary regarding control of the proximity sensor. Samsung might be doing something dubious with their firmwares/hardwares though - well, at least, the S20 and Note20 variants are having issues with the proximity sensor setup.

P.S: Not sure if you guys are aware, but Samsung mobile devices with odd designation tends to be more problematic than their even-designated counterparts, like screen's burn-ins/shadows on Samsung S3 devices, light sensor fluctuation (which affects screen brightness control) on Samsung S5s, and now proximity problems with the S20s and Note20. Samsung S20 variants are in fact "S11" variants renamed. So the trend continues with Samsung always stuffing up their odd-designated device releases.