Proximity sensor issue

Spectre45

Nov 23, 2014
After a few days of using this device i noticed that my screen turns on during phone calls. After doing some research it came out that the proximity sensor is not working properly when phone is being tilted to horizontal position with screen upwards. It just immediately shows that it is far away from any object even that it isn't. The fun fact is that when covering the sensor with my hand while phone is laying on his back doesnt switch it and rotating the phone to vertical position also does not make any effect like the sensor would be locked. Covering it again in that position makes it work.
Can anybody help me with this issue? It's very annoying for me and makes my phone unusable for making calls.

Edit: similar problem here https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/help/huawei-nova-5t-proximity-sensor-problem-t4136595

Last edited:

LoTableT

Nov 23, 2010
La Spezia
Same here, and i notice i have also problems with whastapp and telegram audio notes.
Sometimes screen goes blank randomly and with no reason when i'm listening a audio note.

Last edited:

crom1

Apr 14, 2011
Ruse
Hi. Its a well known problem. Its becouse the device has a ultrasonic sensor not like any other. Sensor like you already find out works only in vertical position of the phone. Its well described in the net how it works. Just search. In 4PDA in the section for our phone. But you need to know russian.

Reactions: munteangabi

Spectre45

Nov 23, 2014
I found that thread and it seems that not everyone notices that... Not spending more time on reading this I found a workaround on my own: an app that keeps the screen disabled after first switching proximity sensor. Then you just need to use the power button if you want to use the phone.

crom1

Apr 14, 2011
Ruse
Listen. There is no proximity sensor at all. The upper mic, speaker and the sensor for orientation are doing the job. When you pick a call the speaker is sending ultrasonic signal and if it locate your ear it dims the screen. Once it works it is working in all positions. But if you move your phone away only in horisontal position it will nit work untill you mive it in vertical again.

Reactions: Mario_N

d3smond

Aug 8, 2020
For me the screen does not turn on during a call but I minimize the google dialer app so maybe that's why.
I tilted the phone in all directions and the screen stayed off during the whole call.
But I had noticed before that the screen tends to keep turning on and off during calls if I do not minimize the dialer.

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012
Does using Xiaomi.EU fix this problem? This issue really gets on my nerves. I started daily driving this device (finally I was able to unlock) and I just cannot use it for calls, which is kinda ridiculous from a phone.

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012
Flashing Xiaomi.EU fixed the issue and calls now work totally fine.
I believe it's Google Dialer making all the trouble, so basically EEA default rom will always be troublesome until Xiaomi decides to fix it. This is only a theory however. All I know is that the Xiaomi.EU rom saved my phone.

calinorg

Mar 5, 2010
Belgrade
I believe it's Google Dialer making all the trouble, so basically EEA default rom will always be troublesome until Xiaomi decides to fix it. This is only a theory however. All I know is that the Xiaomi.EU rom saved my phone.
I didn't have any proximity issues on stock with google dialer. It's not google dialer, it's how you position your head against the earpiece. Sensor is ultrasonic, so it probably doesn't detect properly depending on the position people hold their phones in...

ivo_cajkovac

Feb 24, 2015
Osijek
I have the same problem with my work phone - redmi note 9. Tried the app "proximity screen off" but MIUI keeps killing it no matter what i do to keep it alive. It seems that sensor is located on front top right side of the phone so sometimes it gets behind your ear if you are right handed (mine are pretty small) and then the muting starts. When using the phone with left hand - no problems at all.
I would love to have a working app to keep screen off during call.

abrahamjones

Dec 22, 2014
I also flashed EU rom and the problem persistes.

Reactions: munteangabi